Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,464 members, 7,816,088 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates (5778 Views)

Nigeria May Split Into 5 Countries / : May Split Nigeria Like Darfur – Prof. Ibrahim Gambari / The Sensible Thing To Do Is To Split Nigeria Into Its Component Parts: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jul 13, 2014
nduchucks:

People like you tempt us to call you dummies, empty heads, or Igbos, but I will respectfully decline the temptation. I'd simply state that you and many others on this thread are products of a failed educational system which did not adequately expose you to your history.

I don't have time to educate you people but ponder the following:

(1)It is in the record that, it was the farmers in the North that produced the groundnuts and resources that supplemented the various budgets of the West and East up till 1970.

(2)Groundnuts, cotton, cocoa, hides and skins, were the principal export crops in the 1960s and early 1970s.

(3)Nigeria was the world's largest exporter of groundnuts in the early 1970s

Though I understand that research could not possibly be your forté , I'd recommend that you use google for preliminary research and educate yourself before coming here to embarass yourself.

In case that is too difficult for you, at lease read this report from U.S. Library of Congress

Comrade nduchucks,

You make sense a lot of the time but on the odd occasion you peddle vaunting assertions which have no basis in reality.
If you want to taken seriously on this issue, please provide something more substantive than a U.S. Library of Congress article - which gives no figures to back up your claims here...

1 Like

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
Source: Regional Autonomy or Nothing

1 Like

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by Antivirus92(m): 7:33pm On Jul 13, 2014
EmeeNaka: i am from Nnewi in Anambra state. I am an Igbo man.
hey mr igbo man, where in nnewi and which local govt are u from?
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by nduchucks: 7:46pm On Jul 13, 2014
eGuerrilla:

Comrade nduchucks,

You make sense a lot of the time but on the odd occasion you peddle vaunting assertions which have no basis in reality.
If you want to taken seriously on this issue, please provide something more substantive than a U.S. Library of Congress article - which gives no figures to back up your claims here...

Greetings to you, long time to hear. smiley

I'd assume that you'd agree with me that Groundnuts, cotton, cocoa, palm products hides and skins, were the principal export crops in the 1960s and early 1970s. If that were the case, then it follows that farmers in the North who produced the groundnuts and other crops mentioned, significantly contributed to national income, which in turn supplemented various budgets in the Eastern, Western, and Northern regions.

No one is claming that these budgets were solely financed by the said principal export crops of the 60s and 70s.

Many of us simply find it difficult to admit historical facts because of our biases.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jul 13, 2014
tonyzaks:
Am still not gettin it.
"When they" who are they?. Certain things are involved here; 'discovery' bt before that there must be exploration, who explor? The states?
'Foreigners' don't see states bt country which govern (regulates) the statesm
Pls shade more lights on these
Thanks for the responce
Most oil wells re discovered by d locals, nd they inform there state govt, who reports to the fg abt there finding.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 13, 2014
nduchucks:

I'd assume that you'd agree with me that Groundnuts, cotton, cocoa, palm products hides and skins, were the principal export crops in the 1960s and early 1970s. If that were the case, then if follows that farmers in the North who produced the groundnuts and other crops mentioned, significantly contributed to national income, which in turn supplemented various budgets in the Eastern, Western, and Northern regions.

No one is claming that these budgets were solely financed by the said principal export crops of the 60s and 70s.

Many of us simply find it difficult to admit historical facts because of our biases.

Ok mr groundnut, during ur so called 60's, pls can u tell dz congregation what system of govt we were practising?...
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by EasternLeopard: 8:20pm On Jul 13, 2014
atlwireles:

This reality has not dawned on some of them yet. Just reading the comments of Anthony Sani on punch, one can see his capitulation already.

Pls provide me the link
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by nduchucks: 9:31pm On Jul 13, 2014
eGuerrilla:

Comrade nduchucks,

With the understanding that you are a very intellectually honest poster, I took some time to dig up some facts to support my claims.

Regional governments derived much of their development finances from agriculture. Between 1954 and 1957 N144 million or 42 percent of the marketing boards’ surplus were disbursed as grants to regional governments, and another N24 million as loans to regional governments.

Between 1962 and 1966 13 to 34 percent of regional government finances depended on marketing boards surpluses (Adubi, 2000). In terms of export earnings, agricultural exports accounted for 86 percent of total exports in 1955-59, 80 percent in 1960-64 and 57 percent in 1965-69.

Part of the decline in 1965 -69 may have been due to disruptions in production caused by the civil war of 1967-70. However, from 1970 the decline became very dramatic, and this coincided with the prominence of petroleum as the country’s main export commodity.

Source: CBN (1993) Perspective of Economic Policy in Nigeria, Annual Report and Statement of Accounts..

Please read the rest of the paper, there are quite a few others and time will not permit me to dig them up. My claim was not a frivilous one.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by tonyzaks: 9:39pm On Jul 13, 2014
lygn19:
Most oil wells re discovered by d locals, nd they inform there state govt, who reports to the fg abt there finding.
Even the once in the high seas? And pls wat abt d 2nd question, ui haven't ans it
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by nduchucks: 9:51pm On Jul 13, 2014
lygn19:

Very simplistic. The locals simply use juju to discover oil and inform their state governments, no exploration, no research by Geologists, Geophysicists, or Petroleum Engineers.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e

1 Like

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by EmeeNaka: 9:56pm On Jul 13, 2014
Antivirus92: hey mr igbo man, where in nnewi and which local govt are u from?
Do i need your clearance to be an Nnewi man? Do i need your knowledge to be from Nnewi? You are from Oraukwu and therefore,you are not suppose to challenge me.
By the way,my Fiancee is from Amaeze.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by C0llynzO2: 9:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
nduchucks:

With the understanding that you are a very intellectually honest poster, I took some time to dig up some facts to support my claims.

Please read the rest of the paper, there are quite a few others and time will not permit me to dig them up. My claim was not a frivilous one.
You are only proving those who opposed your assertions right. The article clearly said regional governments derived a large chunk of their finances from Agriculture.
The north depended on it s groundnut and cotton to an extent
The east depended on Palm oil of which Nigeria was the highest exporter at that time.
The west depended on cocoa and palm oil to an extent.
What is Presently known as Niger Delta depended on Rubber, palm oil and cocoa to an extent.
Stop living in delusion.
Trying to twist glaring facts can only work with your uneducated almajiri brothers.

2 Likes

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by nduchucks: 10:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
C0llynzO2:
You are only proving those who opposed your assertions right. The article clearly said regional governments derived a large chunk of their finances from Agriculture.
The east depended on Palm oil of which Nigeria was the highest exporter at that time.
What is Presently known as Niger Delta depended on Rubber, palm oil and cocoa to an extent.
Stop living in delusion.
Trying to twist glaring facts can only work with your uneducated almajiri brothers.

I most certainly can't resolve your language comprehension here.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by atlwireles: 10:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
C0llynzO2:
Stop living in delusion.

He assumes agriculture was only a northern occupation. The people in south, stayed home and married 10 wives as his people planted and harvested groundnut. Unfortunately, this is the predominant view in the far north.

4 Likes

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by C0llynzO2: 10:26pm On Jul 13, 2014
atlwireles:

He assumes agriculture was only a northern occupation. The people in south, stayed home and married 10 wives as his people planted and harvested groundnut. Unfortunately, this is the predominant view in the far north.
Such distortion of facts can only work for his Almajiri brothers.
How can someone be so brazenly foolish as to post an article that contradicts everything he said as ''proof'' that he is right.
That article also said Nigeria's Agricultural output dropped significantly during the war. How did that happen since the north was largely unaffected by the war and they were supposedly the only ones involved in agriculture?

2 Likes

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by atlwireles: 10:29pm On Jul 13, 2014
C0llynzO2:
Such distortion of facts can only work for his Almajiri brothers.
How can someone be so brazenly foolish as to post an article that contradicts everything he said as ''proof'' that he is right.
That article also said Nigeria's Agricultural output dropped significantly during the war. How did that happen since the north was largely unaffected by the war and they were supposedly the only ones involved in agriculture?

I have already given up arguing with his likes. After a while, you have to ask yourself what planet they reside in. grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by SamIkenna: 10:48pm On Jul 13, 2014
nduchucks:

I most certainly can't resolve your language comprehension here.

I feel sorry for core north. For any sane walking breathing individual or group of individuals to bank on the indivisibility and complete subjugation of a geographical space inhabited by people as diverse, unyielding, and ethno-nationalistic as Nigerians, we really need to feel sorry for such entity.

Throwing up lies, even if they were true, won't save you. We're pretty done with the intransigence, belligerence, greed, jihadism, born-to-rule, and terror of the core north. I remember writing a piece before the inception of the confab in which I stated that GEJ should return our boys from North East theater and cut the core north lose. Some so-called southerners thought it was harsh. Well, after getting a sneak-peak of core northern mentality from this conference, I wonder if those fellas' still shared their old views. I guess folks can now see that the people we consider fellow citizens want to be paid for terrorizing us.

2 Likes

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by nduchucks: 10:57pm On Jul 13, 2014
SamIkenna:

I feel sorry for core north. For any sane walking breathing individual or group of individuals to bank on the indivisibility and complete subjugation of a geographical space inhabited by people as diverse, unyielding, and ethno-nationalistic as Nigerians, we really need to feel sorry for such entity.

Throwing up lies, even if they were true, won't save you. We're pretty done with the intransigence, belligerence, greed, jihadism, born-to-rule, and terror of the core north. I remember writing a piece before the inception of the confab in which I stated that GEJ should return our boys from North East theater and cut the core north lose. Some so-called southerners thought it was harsh. Well, after getting a sneak-peak of core northern mentality from this conference, I wonder if those fellas' still shared their old views. I guess folks can now see that the people we consider fellow citizens want to be paid for terrorizing us.

This biafra that you guys could not obtain through war will not come to pass by wishful thinking and riding the coat tails of GEJ who is from a Ijaw tribe which will never allow you to make them subservient in your Biafra.

Stop this obsession and delusion. Stop worrying and feeling sorry for the 'North'. More of your people live in the North than in your land - they need your pity. Dalu o
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by Antivirus92(m): 10:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
EmeeNaka: Do i need your clearance to be an Nnewi man? Do i need your knowledge to be from Nnewi? You are from Oraukwu and therefore,you are not suppose to challenge me.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by Antivirus92(m): 11:02pm On Jul 13, 2014
EmeeNaka: Do i need your clearance to be an Nnewi man? Do i need your knowledge to be from Nnewi? You are from Oraukwu and therefore,you are not suppose to challenge me.
ur comments do not sound like that of an igboman especially from anambra. Btw, u went through my nairaland post history/facebook profile. How did know where i came from??
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by SamIkenna: 11:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
nduchucks:

This biafra that you guys could not obtain through war will not come to pass by wishful thinking and riding the coat tails of GEJ who is from a Ijaw tribe which will never allow you to make them subservient in your Biafra.

Stop this obsession and delusion. Stop worrying and feeling sorry for the 'North'. More of your people live in the North than in your land - they need your pity. Dalu o

Actually, I'm feeling sorry for your brothers because it seems you don't know what has hit you and what's about to hit you even harder. My people living in the north are collecting some change you overlooked due to enormous oil money you're getting from our national purse, thanks to unconscionable tons of states and LGAs you created for the north when you were the only alpha male in town. When that feeding bottle, aka - power and stolen oil money, is taken down, and its about to come off, there won't be any need for up-north migration.

And one more thing, there won't be any kinsman returning home in body-bag.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by nduchucks: 11:35pm On Jul 13, 2014
^^^^^ Delusions of grandeur
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by SamIkenna: 11:38pm On Jul 13, 2014
nduchucks: ^^^^^ Delusions of grandeur

ndu Nwanne m, Oga eme gi vam n'anya.

On a lighter note, how is the Ramadan going for you?

1 Like

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by nduchucks: 11:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
SamIkenna:

ndu Nwanne m, Oga eme gi vam n'anya.

On a lighter note, how is the Ramadan going for you?

No love lost buddy, Ramadan kareem to you.

We need to learn to be Nigerians and work together against any common enemy. Tha vast majority of the poor and average Nigerians have been victimized enough.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by SamIkenna: 11:44pm On Jul 13, 2014
nduchucks:

No love lost buddy, ramadan kareem to you.

We need to learn to be Nigerians and work together against any common enemy. Tha vast majority of the poor and average Nigerians have been victimized enough.

Asking for terror check is not victimization in my dictionary. But hey, to each his own.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by nduchucks: 11:49pm On Jul 13, 2014
SamIkenna:

Asking for terror check is not victimization in my dictionary. But hey, to each his own.

My disappointment with many of the elite, hopefully you excluded, is that they believe that the Boko Haram problem is a "North" problem and they even jubiliate at the terrorist acts perpetrated against fellow Nigerians simply because the same terror is not directly felt in their homeland.

Nigeria is at war, yet some are happy that the BH affair will bring down the "North". Terrorism perpetrated against any nigerian should never be a happy affair.

Just read through this thread and watch the posters gloating about terrorism potentially consuming and destroying the "evil North". What a sad state of affairs
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by atlwireles: 12:30am On Jul 14, 2014
Akwa Ibom State delegates to the National Conference have warned of a looming crisis should their northern counterparts frustrate efforts to adopt the 18 per cent derivation fund recommended by the Consensus Group for oil-producing states.

A statement issued on Sunday in Abuja a former Minister of Lands, Housing and Urban Development, Chief Nduese Essien, on behalf of the delegates, warned that the series of existing agitations by youths of the region might turn into a full-blown war unless the current 13% derivation fund for the oil-producing states was reviewed upward.

The delegates said, “There is a strong possibility that the Niger Delta region agitation could again snowball into an orgy of violence if the logjam on derivation principle at the National Conference is not resolved on the basis of justice and fair play.

“Besides, recent attempts to resurrect the onshore/offshore dichotomy and to make political capital out of the issue have further heightened tension in oil- bearing communities that have witnessed persistent oil spills, gas flaring and constant devastation due to the oil drilling activities of the multinational oil companies.

“Based on comments attributed to people from a certain part of the country, it is pertinent to indicate that the people of Akwa Ibom State and indeed the Niger Delta region are disappointed by the posturing of people from a certain section of the country and would resist attempts by persons or groups to use the satanic policy to blackmail the region.”

The Akwa Ibom delegates quoted some sections of the constitution to back their argument.

According to them, Section 134 of the 1960 Constitution and Section 140 of the 1963 Constitution which formed the basis of the country’s independence and nationhood had provided that Nigeria’s continental shelf of 200 nautical miles be deemed to be part of a region for the purpose of paying 50 per cent derivation.

“The two constitutions had provided that for the purpose of derivation, a state that has a coast is deemed to be the owner of the continental shelf. But through Decree 9 of 1971, the then Head of State, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (retd.), had introduced the onshore/offshore dichotomy. From that time, the policy had been abolished three times. The first abolition took place in 1975, the second in 1979 and the third in 1992. It was, however, ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo who reintroduced the evil policy.

“Today, the dichotomy is still in place because the Abrogation Act of 2004 drastically reduced the constitutional provisions and the internationally recognised boundary definition of continental shelf from 200 nautical miles to 200 feet isobaths. What is used now is a mere measure of the low water mark of the land surface of a littoral state rather than the universally accepted measurement,” the statement added.

They said, “As delegates continue to procrastinate and disagree over the issue of derivation and other issues that are germane to the people of the state and indeed the region that has sustained the country’s economy for over five decades now, the Akwa Ibom State secretariat of the National Conference hereby draws attention to the rising tension and a possible backlash that may follow if the people of the region are shortchanged by the conference.

“While the bickering continues, youths from oil-bearing communities in Ibeno Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State have during the past two weeks occupied the operational base of ExxonMobil Unlimited at Quo Ibo Terminal, QIT and stopped the multinational oil firm from accessing its facilities. The youths are protesting against a recent oil-spill which devastated over 46 communities along the coastline in the state…

“In the spirit of the Ramadan, we appeal to our brothers in the North to sheathe their swords and allow justice and fair-play to prevail in the current debate on what should constitute the derivation formula, after all, what has been recommended by the eminent members of the Consensus Group also covers solid minerals and other resources found all over the country.”

http://www.punchng.com/news/aibom-delegates-threaten-war-over-18-derivation-fund
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by SamIkenna: 12:36am On Jul 14, 2014
nduchucks:

My disappointment with many of the elite, hopefully you excluded, is that they believe that the Boko Haram problem is a "North" problem and they even jubiliate at the terrorist acts perpetrated against fellow Nigerians simply because the same terror is not directly felt in their homeland.

Nigeria is at war, yet some are happy that the BH affair will bring down the "North". Terrorism perpetrated against any nigerian should never be a happy affair.

Just read through this thread and watch the posters gloating about terrorism potentially consuming and destroying the "evil North". What a sad state of affairs

There's a reason people feel the way they do. If too many people are, according to you 'gloating' over the upsurge of terror in the 'evil north,' again your words not mine, perhaps its important you find out why a supposedly normal and rational individual would enjoy a disaster of such magnitude. What did the north do both before and now- are they in denial of the truth?

Personally, my beef with the north or should I say my interest in this whole shabang is to secure a good and nice space from the core north. I do not want them dead except if they seek my death. Somehow, I think I'm probably speaking the minds of many Nigerian folks which is: we don't hate the north but we don't want the same old union/political structure where the core north determined who got what.

Folks ain't playing. They, including me, are determined to do anything to break the grip of the core north on Nigeria. So the onus is on the Hausa-Fulani to read the time and back-off. SW and SE got new states and state police from the conference so I don't see what the core north's political migraine is about. Of the 3 major ethnic groups its only Hausa-Fulani that has refused to let go of their own "minority inheritance." Universally, people want to be free. Even the Irish that speaks the same language (somehow) do not want to be with UK. Portugal is not with Spain, Luxembourg, Netherlands, and Austria are not in Germany, Italy and France are not one country. I can go on and on. Point being that at some point you have to let go and be on your own.

Nigeria is not sacrosanct and its imperative we understand that. Accepting that self-evident truth is the recipe for harmonious and less abrasive coexistence. Unfortunately, it seems the core north believes Nigeria is a gift from God to them hence unbreakable.

Hopefully, I haven't strayed too far from the subject. But at any rate, I despise the current political structure just as much as I despise the carnage taking place in the north east. So when you think of how much you desire to end the terror up north, make sure you remember how much I desire to end this lopsidedness.

Nwanne m, we all desire the same thing - from southern Kaduna to Berom land. Everyone desires and deserves to live in peace and freedom. If you must come to equity endeavor to come with clean hands.

4 Likes

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by tonytony208(m): 4:26am On Jul 14, 2014
EmeeNaka: if you are to questioned on this sentiment,you will not be able to clear yourself with a valid argument.

is there any written evidence to show that GEJ agreed to rule for only one term? No, there is none. But does that mean he didn't make such aggreement? And believe me, your behavior at confab shows us all what you want. We don't need written evidence, it is as clear as the biblical mene mene tekel upharsin (God bless prof Patrick). Why is boko haram killing like senseless wild animals? because they want power to return to the north. Why did murtala nyako, kwankwaso, saraki et al leave pdp for apc? For same reason. Have you ever heard buhari made campaign speeches before? He always insist power must return to the north. In fact, you must be a stranger in nigeria not to know the north's strong desire to rule nigeria come 2015.
And can you show me what the north is contributing to nigeria's economy? Why will they be insisting on having strong central govt? Is it because they are the good guys like spiderman and the rest of us asking for devolution of power are bad? Why is the north afraid of nigeria breaking up? Can you give me a valid reason? They know they will lose oil (oyel ) blocks and they may never survive economically.

2 Likes

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by tonytony208(m): 4:35am On Jul 14, 2014
nduchucks:

I'd assume that you'd agree with me that Groundnuts, cotton, cocoa, palm products hides and skins, were the principal export crops in the 1960s and early 1970s. If that were the case, then it follows that farmers in the North who produced the groundnuts and other crops mentioned, significantly contributed to national income, which in turn supplemented various budgets in the Eastern, Western, and Northern regions.

if groundnut from the north could sustain the whole of SE in the 70s, does that not mean there is money to be made in groundnut cultivation? Why then can't the north return to the farm to grow more groundnut to boost their economy instead of dying over oyel money and wanting to force nigeria into unwanted marriage?

2 Likes

Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by tonytony208(m): 4:50am On Jul 14, 2014
EmeeNaka: Nigeria can not be handed in to greedy people. Resource control is impossible in Nigeria. 13percent derivation is far too much for Niger delta to develop.

have you ever been to Niger delta before? If not, then you lack the idea, the right and moral justification to state what is right or not right for niger delta. What about catching the next bus from your comfortable cocoon to the oil spilled region called niger delta? When you are back, you can come back here to make sensible comments. But pending that time, pls swerve and allow reasonable pple with ideas to make comments.
Re: Resource Control May Split Nigeria — Northern Delegates by Nobody: 5:15am On Jul 14, 2014
nduchucks:

Very simplistic. The locals simply use juju to discover oil and inform their state governments, no exploration, no research by Geologists, Geophysicists, or Petroleum Engineers.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/229503_ROFLMAODog_gif3fa44b12f55ba64fc785c3a5794ba92e
U haven't lived in the Niger delta b4, I dunno y I have that feeling, there re sm signs u wud notice that u don't need to be tolk der is crude oil in dat area.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Northern Nigeria Not A Parasite – Northern Govs Forum / APC Wins Governorship Elections In Plateau State / Northern Igbo Residents Denounce Kanu Extend Olive Branch To Arewa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.