Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan (39487 Views)

Lagos School Where Pupils Share Classroom With Animals / See The Reply This Guy Gave To A School Where They Pay 210K For Crèche / A Primary School Where Pupils Wear Chelsea Jersey As Their Sportswear (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Nobody: 2:44am On Jul 13, 2014
Penultimate week, it was a long, big snake that was killed inside the school premises by the students. A week after, the students were seen writing their promotional examinations on bare floor. SEYI SOKOYA, who witnessed the two unpleasant scenarios among others, at the Urban Day Grammar School, Ibadan, Oyo State, reports.

THE name of the school is Urban Day Grammar School, but what was witnessed in the last two weeks were far from being urban in nature. Infact, situations in rural areas are far better that what was witnessed.

Findings by the Sunday Tribune indicated that killing of reptiles in the school is a weekly affair. Some residents in the area stated that what was news in the school is when a week passed without sighting snakes or other dangerous reptiles in the school premises, that unusual romance with reptiles is the norm in the school.

The academic environment, no doubt, is in a sorry state, just as the pupils had been subjected to environmental hazards, threat to life all in the quest to get quality education.

At Urban Day Grammar School, there is no fence, no gate and no good structures. The roof of the principal’s office is a big drain. The multi-purpose hall in the compound is surrounded by bush. Ditto the toilet. There is an abandoned red block of six classrooms said to have been built by the late Chief Bola Ige’s administration. The library, the Home Economics laboratory and all other classrooms were all begging for attention.

It was observed that virtually all the classrooms that are habitable in the school have no chairs and desks. This, perhaps, informed the decision of the students to find an alternative since their promotional examinations were on.

The students, mostly Senior Secondary School (SSS 1 and 11), were seen writing their examinations on bare floor. It was learnt that that was not the first time such would happen in the school, as some of the students told the Sunday Tribune that “this is not our first time. We are used to it. What matters most to us is to pass the examinations.’’

Sunday Tribune’s effort to interact with the principal or any other staff of the school did not yield any result, as they refused to speak or give necessary information, especially on the present state of the school. When approached, the school principal who even refused to mention her name, said: “It would be better if you speak with my employer. I have nothing to say except I have an approval from above.”

Most of the students who spoke with the Sunday Tribune could not give any reason why they should write their examinations on bare floor. All they could say was “we don’t have enough chairs in the school and we have to write our examinations.”

It was also learnt that the school had initial population of 300 registered students both at the junior and senior secondary school levels, but had been reduced to 200 students as a result of unbearable condition of the school, which, it was learnt, that forced many parents to withdraw their children.

This, it was said, could be one of the reasons the school has only six pupils in the JSS1 class.

The chairman of the Parents Teachers Association (PTA) of the school, Mr Mukaila Osuolale Adepoju, lamented the present state of the school, stressing that the school authorities, in collaboration with the PTA, had, at various times, complained to the authorities about the poor condition of the school without getting any response.

“This school was worse before I became the chairman of the PTA. We had lodged complaints about the situation of the school to the government. I was aware that the principal further wrote a letter attached with pictures of the school to the commissioner for education. They promised to come and inspect and they did not show up. This was about two years ago. We also wrote another letter last week on the same subject matter but we are yet to have their response,” he added.

Adepoju stated further that the school needed to be attended to in time so as to ameliorate the sufferings that the students are being subjected to on a daily basis. “Some students had fallen victim of rape on their way home. The school authorities have lost count of snakes they have been killed within the school premises.

“We even had a rape case at the police station. The science laboratory has been burgled three times. Aside the fact that we have been calling on the government for assistance we, as parents, have done our bit by rebuilding the damaged science laboratory and replacing the library roof. The only two classrooms that the whole students are currently using were donated by the past government.”

“It is unfortunate that the 40 chairs and tables donated by ZARTECH Company after we sought their assistance have been damaged by hoodlums. This has really caused setback for the smooth academic activities of the school and convenience of the students,” he explained.

A resident of the area, who pleaded anonymity, told Sunday Tribune that the pupils, by virtue of their present condition could be exposed to more serious heath problem.

Another resident, who spoke in the same light, expressed the fears that students who are exposed to this type of danger are likely to face severe consequences later in life.

An octogenerean whose house is close to the school maintained: “I see no reason why this school has not received the attention of the government in spite of the fact that the school is very close to Adeoyo Hospital and the Access to Basic Medical Care Foundation (ABMCF) a non-governmental organisation (NGO) powered by the wife of the state governor.”

http://tribune.com.ng/quicklinkss/features/item/10460-secondary-school-where-reptiles-learn-with-students

2 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Isiterere(m): 5:17am On Jul 13, 2014
op don't be lazy , provide picture(s)

ALL IZZ WELL

8 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by horlabiyi(m): 5:20am On Jul 13, 2014
O_O
Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Busuyib(f): 6:05am On Jul 13, 2014
Pishure or .....
Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Omexonomy: 6:08am On Jul 13, 2014
Busuyib: Pishure or .....
et tu busuyib asking for pishure.
Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by justi4jesu(f): 6:13am On Jul 13, 2014
Pissures plz.... undecided
Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Omexonomy: 6:14am On Jul 13, 2014
These bunch of clowns and thives who call themselves south west governors who claimed they are following awo legacy of free and afordable education esp one fash of lagos who increase lasu school fees to N350 thousand and he was highly celebrated in nairaland

47 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Smartsyn(m): 6:43am On Jul 13, 2014
if i post the picshure of a school i came across in Kogi State recently, you guys may mistaken me to be a convict, posting picshures from Guantanamo Bay..

19 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by datbay(m): 6:57am On Jul 13, 2014
This is dangerous education or perhaps learning in danger.Op,give us the full address of this school,let's trace it.

7 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Happywoman(f): 7:00am On Jul 13, 2014
Truly pained . sad

Innocent kids.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by somcherry(f): 7:05am On Jul 13, 2014
Nawaoo. The school environment is unapealling embarassed

4 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 13, 2014
What? Is that a school,or abandoned building,Op,you must be joking,right? Leaders of tomorrow indeed,what can they learn in an environment like this? Yet,they governor would be parading up,and down,as if he won a gold.

4 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 13, 2014
Smartsyn: if i post the picshure of a school i can across in Kogi State recently, you guys may mistake me to be a convict, posting picshures from Guantanamo Bay..
Lwkmd,is that how disgusting the school is?Nawa ooo.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by sufficientGrace: 7:25am On Jul 13, 2014
@ the mention of snake I refuse to read I hate everything about em... I'm sure the OP backed up this news with pictures of em
Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Tallesty1(m): 8:04am On Jul 13, 2014
Smartsyn: if i post the picshure of a school i came across in Kogi State recently, you guys may mistaken me to be a convict, posting picshures from Guantanamo Bay..
The one I saw at mabenyi in olamaboro LG in kogi state looks like a shrine.

4 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by rozayx5(m): 8:07am On Jul 13, 2014
grin grin
Progressive education

18 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by hebex12(m): 8:38am On Jul 13, 2014
it no more news to us
Dt hw naija education is

3 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by experimentist: 9:07am On Jul 13, 2014
Picture of snake with his pen and papers or...undecided

13 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Antivirus92(m): 9:57am On Jul 13, 2014
@op, the reptiles are just specimens for practicals and the school is an ifa school of learning. SOPHISTICATION AT ITS PEAK!

9 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 13, 2014
I can't see any reptiles learning with them in that picture, what kind of sensationalist headline is on this thread sef?

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by EnterPRO: 10:39am On Jul 13, 2014
fellis: I can't see any reptiles learning with them in that picture, what kind of sensationalist headline is on this thread sef?

the reptile came to learn ABC, but they killed it instead.

2 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 13, 2014
Thomases in d house. Start beliving, snakes can learn.
Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Nobody: 10:51am On Jul 13, 2014
EnterPRO:

the reptile came to learn ABC, but they killed it instead.

Lol, why now? reptiles also deserve education too.

2 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by EnterPRO: 11:07am On Jul 13, 2014
fellis:

Lol, why now? reptiles also deserve education too.

don't mind them.

maybe they felt it the biology lab would suit it better.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Nobody: 11:17am On Jul 13, 2014
They can turn it into a good thing, by increasing students interest in biology. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Nobody: 11:27am On Jul 13, 2014
what really is the work of these local government councillors, apart from cruising around in latest Hyundai brands?

5 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by bdemix(m): 11:47am On Jul 13, 2014
APC grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Harmvirus(f): 11:55am On Jul 13, 2014
Smh
Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by englishmart(m): 12:42pm On Jul 13, 2014
[size=45pt] DOROREPTILES [/size]

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Where Reptiles Learn With Students In Ibadan by Akshow: 1:09pm On Jul 13, 2014
Omexonomy: These bunch of clowns and thives who call themselves south west governors who claimed they are following awo legacy of free and afordable education esp one fash of lagos who increase lasu school fees to N350 thousand and he was highly celebrated in nairaland
U are seriously in need of this free education. No full stop, no comma, no sense in the raaaawbish u wrote above.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chikaodinaka Nwankpa Resigns After Spending $243k Research Grant On Strip Clubs / Guy Outs Wicked Senior Back Then At Federal Government College Rubochi, Abuja / Corps Member Bleeds After Attack By Secondary School Students In Osun (Graphic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.