Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Good News For Modern Car Owners - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Good News For Modern Car Owners (3217 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: V6 Car Owners, How Are You Guys Coping? / Mechanics And The Pranks They Play On Car Owners. Share Your Experience / Tips for car owners and those who are looking for a car! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 10:07am On Jul 13, 2014
This if from my personal first-hand experience. (sic) No be say person do am come tell me as e be.

Is your car running rich - ie consuming too much fuel?

Have you lost power in comparison to when you just gott your ride?

Does your car drag when you push down your gas pedal?

Herein lie the ultimate solution - The MAF sensor. MAF stands for Mass Air Flow. It is a sensor that regulates the fuel/air ratio in a combustion engine. When it has gathered impurity due to dirty air filter, it seizes to function optimally and the result will be lost power and fuel consumption going up. To regain your ride's power and improved mpg, it's time to roll your sleeves and get a lil'dirty. The MAF sensor most often is located inbetween the air filter box and the air inlet pipe of your car on the engine bay. You will need to get it out and clean.

To do this you will need; an unadulterated paint thinner, an empty spray can, a 10 socket spanner and a screw driver. Follow ur car's own design and remove the MAF sensor. Put some thinner inside the spray can and spray generously on the MAF sensor's inner component. Pls do not use any hard object to scratch inside the MAF as this could damage it. After spraying generously on the inside sensor's component, keep to dry properly before you re-install. When you are done coupling your ride, take it for a spin and come back later to thank me.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by proudly233: 11:06am On Jul 13, 2014
Is it the same thing as O2 sensor?
I am having this problem, my car drags when I throttle and it doesn't move at the required speed.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by Drversatile: 11:06am On Jul 13, 2014
[color=#990000][/color][b][/b][hr[size=8pt][/size]Ok, I will try it on my Nissan Quest 2002 model, it consumes fuel like say tomorrow no dey

1 Like

Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by WinkWrld: 12:59pm On Jul 13, 2014
Cool
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by santakris(m): 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
proudly233: Is it the same thing as O2 sensor?
I am having this problem, my car drags when I throttle and it doesn't move at the required speed.
No o. They are not the same.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by proudly233: 1:38pm On Jul 13, 2014
santakris:
No o. They are not the same.

But my car consumes plenty fuel and doesn't move accordingly, just like you stated.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by autofixng: 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2014
BluStreak: This if from my personal first-hand experience. (sic) No be say person do am come tell me as e be.
Is your car running rich - ie consuming too much fuel?
Have you lost power in comparison to when you just gott your ride?
Does your car drag when you push down your gas pedal?
Herein lie the ultimate solution - The MAF sensor. MAF stands for Mass Air Flow. It is a sensor that regulates the fuel/air ratio in a combustion engine. When it has gathered impurity due to dirty air filter, it seizes to function optimally and the result will be lost power and fuel consumption going up. To regain your ride's power and improved mpg, it's time to roll your sleeves and get a lil'dirty. The MAF sensor most often is located inbetween the air filter box and the air inlet pipe of your car on the engine bay. You will need to get it out and clean.
To do this you will need; an unadulterated paint thinner, an empty spray can, a 10 socket spanner and a screw driver. Follow ur car's own design and remove the MAF sensor. Put some thinner inside the spray can and spray generously on the MAF sensor's inner component. Pls do not use any hard object to scratch inside the MAF as this could damage it. After spraying generously on the inside sensor's component, keep to dry properly before you re-install. When you are done coupling your ride, take it for a spin and come back later to thank me.
@opp, there can be many causes to the symptoms you highlighted in your comment above. But the best you could do is to run a comprehensive diagnoses when experience such problems so that you know where to work on in your car rather than treating headache for a feverish condition.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 2:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
proudly233: Is it the same thing as O2 sensor?

No they are not the same. It links your air filter and the channel that takes filtered air into your engine. If you can identify your air filter box, it should be sitting just after the box as you trace from the box up. And it should have a set of wire connected to it via a socket. I will find a sample and upload hoping it will help.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by proudly233: 2:16pm On Jul 13, 2014
BluStreak:

No they are not the same. It links your air filter and the channel that takes filtered air into your engine. If you can identify your air filter box, it should be sitting just after the box as you trace from the box up. And it should have a set of wire connected to it via a socket. I will find a sample and upload hoping it will help.

So what should I change to make the car move freely when I throttle.
It's a 2010 honda accord.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 2:22pm On Jul 13, 2014
It will be worthy to add that you should thoroughly clean your air filter also so that impurities will not return to seal the component's sensory abilities. If your air filter is torn or have holes, you will have to replace it to forestall a re-occurrence.

Follow these steps and you will be amazed at the result. Please don't forget to come back and give your testimonies. This will help others to make the move.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 2:25pm On Jul 13, 2014
proudly233:

So what should I change to make the car move freely when I throttle.
It's a 2010 honda accord.

If the car has lost power, drags, gulps fuel, try the steps as outlined in the original post. You don't need to change anything at the moment except if you have a badly damaged air filter. Just get a replacement filter and install. These are simple things car owners can do without going to the mechanic.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by proudly233: 2:27pm On Jul 13, 2014
BluStreak:

If the car has lost power, drags, gulps fuel, try the steps as outlined in the original post. You don't need to change anything at the moment except if you have a badly damaged air filter.

Shuo, I want to take it to a mechanic oh, I don't have the strength to try those things.
The car consumes fuel and drags, and the check engine light blinks sometimes but it's also on display.
So I should just change the air filter, right?
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 2:32pm On Jul 13, 2014
See what aa MAF sensor looks like. Try to figure it out on your own engine.

Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 2:34pm On Jul 13, 2014
proudly233:

Shuo, I want to take it to a mechanic oh, I don't have the strength to try those things.
The car consumes fuel and drags, and the check engine light blinks sometimes but it's also on display.
So I should just change the air filter, right?

Apart from changing the air filter, they should clean ur MAF Sensor with thinner and allow to dry before re-installation.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by proudly233: 2:48pm On Jul 13, 2014
Thanks for this. I will figure it out
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by billy187(m): 8:23pm On Jul 13, 2014
Thanks so much!! Shall make this my little project....as soon as i get some paint thinner and a sprayer! If its in your power pls add ways by which we can clean our air filter too! thanks!

Ps, is paint thinner basically turpentine?
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 9:04pm On Jul 13, 2014
billy187: Thanks so much!! Shall make this my little project....as soon as i get some paint thinner and a sprayer! If its in your power pls add ways by which we can clean our air filter too! thanks!

Ps, is paint thinner basically turpentine?

I cannot corroborate if Thinner and Turpentine are one and the same. If you live in Nigeria, just go to timber dealers or auto paint dealers and request you want to buy thinner. For spray gun, you can get that from the timber/plank dealers.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 5:59pm On Jul 14, 2014
More findings.......

If I am to judge by the fuel consumption today, I will say I have gained 100% on MPG. Before I did the MAF and Air filter cleaning, a regular trip from my house to Apapa and back consumes N2,000 which is about 21 Litres of fuel. But today, I did notice a great change. I bought N2,000 fuel which moved my gauge to half tank and through out my drive from home to the office at Apapa irrespective of the never ending traffic, the gauge barely moved unlike before. I also notice a quicker acceleration. No more pedal to the metal before I will gain good speed; a slight depression of the pedal is all I need to zoom.

I can now confidently say, I have restored my car to about 95% original power and performance. Don't underestimate the power of MAF sensor and unclogged air filter.

1 Like

Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by issy1500: 4:48pm On Jul 15, 2014
What about Car that does not use maf but intake air sensor and map sensor only. what do we need to clean?
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by proudly233: 5:22pm On Jul 15, 2014
BluStreak:

Apart from changing the air filter, they should clean ur MAF Sensor with thinner and allow to dry before re-installation.

Bro, please tell me how much mass air filter and the sensor will cost for Honda accord, 010 model. Just give me an idea if you have.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by mayor2013: 7:33pm On Jul 15, 2014
There are a whole lot of things that can be atrributed to the discussed problem by the "op". So in this case the mass airflow sensor cannot be considered only. Common bad spark plugs can also cause this. Just to be on a safer side always run a comprehensive scanning on your car. And as for the person who says his check light is blinking you need to run a complete diagnosis on that car. Its better you pack it aside to prevent further damage
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by billy187(m): 10:06am On Jul 17, 2014
Well, I finally took the plunge yesterday, rolled up my sleeves and got dirty. I kind of expected a mesh that transverses the entire vessel, however i just got some transistor thing sticking up in the middle. That, coupled with the fact I never really found pure paint thinner forced me to go to the nearest alternative, rubbing alcohol. The amount i had was hardly worthwhile to fill the industrial size sprayer i had so I had to make ado with Q tips, which admittedly was quite risky. I managed to regain their former gleam 10 minutes and half a packet of Q tips later.

While everything was apart, i took the oppotunity to clean up my throttle body with some carb cleaner i had hanging around.

Results? Well lets see....a cousin of mine who drove my car before the maf clean, drove it afterwards and nearly crashed it when she started it from the base of a steep incline!! She wailed that the car was soo sensitive!! Needless to say, power and response is at its max! will check the fuel economy later though-havent driven long enough. Im sure it will be better though!

Well, Blustreak, saying thanks will not be enough. God bless you sooo much!!

1 Like

Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 1:31pm On Jul 18, 2014
billy187: Well, I finally took the plunge yesterday, rolled up my sleeves and got dirty. I kind of expected a mesh that transverses the entire vessel, however i just got some transistor thing sticking up in the middle. That, coupled with the fact I never really found pure paint thinner forced me to go to the nearest alternative, rubbing alcohol. The amount i had was hardly worthwhile to fill the industrial size sprayer i had so I had to make ado with Q tips, which admittedly was quite risky. I managed to regain their former gleam 10 minutes and half a packet of Q tips later.

While everything was apart, i took the oppotunity to clean up my throttle body with some carb cleaner i had hanging around.

Results? Well lets see....a cousin of mine who drove my car before the maf clean, drove it afterwards and nearly crashed it when she started it from the base of a steep incline!! She wailed that the car was soo sensitive!! Needless to say, power and response is at its max! will check the fuel economy later though-havent driven long enough. Im sure it will be better though!

Well, Blustreak, saying thanks will not be enough. God bless you sooo much!!

Now this is what I am talking about. God bless you too @billy187. I wish some more peeps will try this and see the amazing outcome. Take back your ride's past glory.
Re: Good News For Modern Car Owners by BluStreak(m): 1:34pm On Jul 18, 2014
proudly233:

Bro, please tell me how much mass air filter and the sensor will cost for Honda accord, 010 model. Just give me an idea if you have.

Scrap the tot of replacement at the moment till you are done with the cleaning I recommended. If you didnt get a good result, then there might be more to your car problem which will have you take it to the nearest auto repair shop.

(1) (Reply)

What's The Possible Cause Of A Faulty Camshaft / Locate Good Auto Mechanic/workshop In Port Harcourt Here / Cars45 Or Jiji , Which Is Better For Buying A Good Car.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.