Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,379 members, 7,836,540 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

Stephen Keshi VS Clemens Westerhof - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Stephen Keshi VS Clemens Westerhof (688 Views)

Stephen Keshi Return Again To Lead Nigeria In Remaining Afcon Qualifiers. / Players Bribed Their Way Into Super Eagles - Clemens Westerhof / Clemens Westerhof Says Siasia, Amokachi, Oliseh Are Baby Coaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stephen Keshi VS Clemens Westerhof by NumberOne2(m): 2:11am On Jul 14, 2014
I look at the story of coach Stephen Keshi and its not so far from coach Clemens Westerhof.
Even after 20 years, our football approach is still the same.

STATS FROM BOTH
Clemens Westerhof took us to USA '94 after winning African Nations Cup, Tunisia '94.
Stephen Keshi took us to Brazil 2014 after winning African Nations Cup, South Africa 2014.

Both men discovered a lot of talents in Nigerian football.
Clearly we don't learn from History. Stephen Keshi is Clemens Westerhof and USA '94 all over again.

STATS FROM WESTERHOF
He is most noted for his success with the Nigerian national team. Under Westerhof, the Super Eagles won the 1994 African Cup of Nations and also qualified for the second round of the FIFA World Cup that year.

Following a 2 -1 defeat by Italy at the 1994 FIFA World Cup which eliminated Nigeria from the tournament, striker Rashidi Yekini was critical of both Westerhof and his team-mates, telling reporters:
"I have always been against this coach [Westerhof] ... It is no secret that I don't like him and he doesn't like me. I tried to go against him long ago, but my teammates did not support me. As a result, I was played out of the game. I never saw the ball."[1]

Finidi George and Emmanuel Amuneke were two other Nigerian international players reported to have fallen out of favour with Westerhof [2]; both players were dropped from the team by Westerhof at different points during his tenure as manager, only for the players to be subsequently reinstated in the team following the Nigerian Football Association's decision to overrule Westerhof.

Compare this to our current Coach Stephen Keshi. Is history repeating itself?

More on Westerhof @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clemens_Westerhof

(1) (Reply)

Why Do I Always Get Banned In Football Session? / Liverpool`s Poor Home Form.... / Enyeama Goes Top In France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.