Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,359 members, 7,843,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? (3383 Views)

Woman Abandons Baby In Day-care (PHOTO) / Heartless Mother Throws Her New Born Baby In A Gutter With Its Placenta / 4 Year Old Accidentally Kills 11 Month-old Baby In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by apolonius(m): 1:20pm On Jul 17, 2014
alutacontinua:

Did you just miss this part too undecided
You're a citizen of the states, meaning if you have to put in for anything (all other things being equal, you have an edge over a non-citizen), are y'all just tryna be good ambassadors of your country here or what?

I'll gladly exchange my Naija passport for an American passport anytime anyday, QUOTE ME ANYWHERE! That passport pisses the hell outta me. sad angry

and oops! You wanna stay forever in Naija, yeah? Well, your child might not agree with you.
If op can afford it, give your child the opportunity (who knows, lil cutie might decide he prefers the western life to the 1790 life in Naija, life would be much easier for him with his citizenship). Dual ctizenship is never something to regret! And if he decides to stay put in his fatherland, he's always a NIGERIAN!

You are a clear thinker who also writes beautifully. I totally agree with your points on the benefits of the US passport. It is a goldmine,really.

To add to your points,such a kid can enjoy scholarships and even some pay-once-you-are working loans to study in some of the best universities in the world.

Accessing quality job opportunities in the capital of global capitalism is assured for life. For those who talk about hustlers in the US,it takes most over 9 years to get the citizenship that such a kid will have from year 1 of his/her life.

The security value of such a passport when compared to the hundreds of deaths in a country that does not value life is enough reason to go for it. For sure,the US troops stationed in the US embassy in Nigeria will easily take the responsibility for the safety of such a person even in Nigeria when it matters.

AC,I hope you made a gracious consideration for a PM for me. Not just you,some of us don't do shit of all forms too.smiley

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jul 17, 2014
apolonius:

You are a clear thinker who also writes beautifully

thanks

AC,I hope you made a gracious consideration for a PM for me. Not just you,some of us don't do shit of all forms too.smiley

lol, I kinda just prefer to keep NL things on NL. It's safer that way.
We could grab a drink in the family section fun room and chat. smiley

and ehrm, welcome BACK to NL wink
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by apolonius(m): 1:44pm On Jul 17, 2014
alutacontinua:

thanks

lol, I kinda just prefer to keep NL things on NL. It's safer that way.
We could grab a drink in the family section fun room and chat. smiley

and ehrm, welcome BACK to NL wink

Boundaries are crucial to guarding honour. I sure respect that. Of course, will come on there for the drink.

I am glad to be back to learn and share with you guys as always.Thanks.smiley
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by tpia1: 5:35pm On Jul 17, 2014
To add to your points,such a kid can enjoy scholarships and even some pay-once-you-are working loans to study in some of the best universities in the world.

Accessing quality job opportunities in the capital of global capitalism is assured for life. For those who talk about hustlers in the US,it takes most over 9 years to get the citizenship that such a kid will have from year 1 of his/her life

lol
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by Genius100: 10:45pm On Jul 17, 2014
JEITO: And what does the American passport does for the baby? O! I get it! It grants the child access to the US anytime. Isn't it? Other than that what else? Because I know they don't pick money on the streets of New York and you can't add American citizen as part of your achievements in your CV when applying for a job or when contesting for elections in Nigeria.

The other advantage is that the kid can file for the Parents to get residency permits in the US when the kid turns 18...
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by Dark1(m): 11:32pm On Jul 17, 2014
I think its important u shore up ur money. If you've got the funds you can do both, if not, invest wisely so u can give ur child the best. My parents never birthed me abroad but today, I travel without even going for no damn visa interviews.

The most I do is bio-metrics (which can be waived in some cases). I work with one of the MNCs' they take care of all that travelling logistics.

The best you can give your child is to inculcate sound values in him/her from the onset and give him/her quality education, which is obtainable without necessarily going overseas. . . at least thats what my parents did!

Come to think of it, most of my senior colleagues with grown up kids don't even want their kids growing up in that so-called USA. I guess thats a story for another time.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by tpia1: 3:15am On Jul 18, 2014
Genius100:

The other advantage is that the kid can file for the Parents to get residency permits in the US when the kid turns 18...

i guess thats the unspoken reason.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by rolled: 8:56am On Jul 18, 2014
And what if the parents are not interested?
You really feel everyone in naija is so crazy about living abroad
Do you know someone born in Niageria who has a very good job can travel even to that usa and be more comfortable than a us citizen?
Na wa oh

Genius100:

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by youngalex(m): 10:11am On Jul 18, 2014
Opinion differs but for me i think thats the best priviledge(Dual Citizenship)i can give to my child am seriously asking God to provide me with the fund when the time comes for marriage and childbirth

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by JEITO: 12:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
Genius100:

ok. But what I am interested in knowing, is how residing in America, changes the social or financial status of the family because I know you have to work twice as hard to make it over there. I mean, it is not like they pick jobs on the floor; especially with the unemployment rate put at over 6percent with blacks having the highest rate. Or are we just going to stop at the level of residence?
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by JEITO: 12:51pm On Jul 18, 2014
Genius100:

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by Hotstepper(f): 3:55pm On Jul 18, 2014
No need for long story. OP, if you can afford it, please go for it. There is a thread about people that want to give birth in the US so u can look at it to learn more especially affordable hospitals.

1. Dual citizenship
2. If da child decides to school abroad, he or she will pay as domestic student with opportunity for scholarship
3. He or she can decide to come bk to naija, if things doesnt work out, he tries else where.

Our generation is just trying to have options for their kids so I don't see the reason why 1 shouldn't take advantage as long as you won't steal to achieve it.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by tpia1: 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2014
JEITO: ok. But what I am interested in knowing, is how residing in America, changes the social or financial status of the family because I know you have to work twice as hard to make it over there. I mean, it is not like they pick jobs on the floor; especially with the unemployment rate put at over 6percent with blacks having the highest rate. Or are we just going to stop at the level of residence?

people actually do not know the implications of being in america.

nothing comes free, there's always a price.

nuff said.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by Bawss1(m): 5:45pm On Jul 18, 2014
The OP doesn't need 4m to have a baby in the US. Where did he come up with that estimate? There has never been anybody that walked the face of this earth that regretted having dual citizenship. It's always good to have options... Have your baby in the US or Canada.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by GboyegaD(m): 5:52pm On Jul 18, 2014
JEITO: good point for someone that loves to travel. Now let me refer you back to his question.
For someone that is interested in the financial gain that may accrue from such a venture. Would you advise him to sponsor his wife abroad solely for the purpose if delivering her 2nd child( how does that translate to investment even for the child because I know things are not rosy even in The States) or would you rather he invest the money in land or property which I feel with offer him better returns for his money. And I'm sure you know there is a bit of disparity between the Black-American and what I would call the Nigeria- American?

Travel is the least of it. The opportunities the child can harness been an American citizen is much. One of such is going to study in the US at a reduced cost and more chances of getting grants, scholarships, and financial aids.
Another which I feel is major is that when things turn upside down with Nigeria, the child is got a place to call home. The various government we have had since independence have been deteriorating with no plans for the future generation this, the need to see it as giving the child a better life should s/he choose to live abroad.
One of the travel benefits is that it is a bit easier as an American citizen to get work visas in most Western countries than for other countries which implies unlimited opportunities for the child.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by GboyegaD(m): 5:56pm On Jul 18, 2014
JEITO: ok. But what I am interested in knowing, is how residing in America, changes the social or financial status of the family because I know you have to work twice as hard to make it over there. I mean, it is not like they pick jobs on the floor; especially with the unemployment rate put at over 6percent with blacks having the highest rate. Or are we just going to stop at the level of residence?

You know people work twice as hard to make it in the US for real? Is it from experience or hear says? If you tell me you need be upright and hardworking as there is no room for sluggards I will agree but that they have to work twice as hard, I totally disagree.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by tpia1: 5:57pm On Jul 18, 2014
GboyegaD:

Travel is the least of it. The opportunities the child can harness been an American citizen is much. One of such is going to study in the US at a reduced cost and more chances of getting grants, scholarships, and financial aids.
Another which I feel is major is that when things turn upside down with Nigeria, the child is got a place to call home. The various government we have had since independence have been deteriorating with no plans for the future generation this, the need to see it as giving the child a better life should s/he choose to live abroad.
One of the travel benefits is that it is a bit easier as an American citizen to get work visas in most Western countries than for other countries which implies unlimited opportunities for the child.

instead of looking at "projected benefits", look at the reality on ground although i know most nigerians dont do that with anything that is not nigeria.

The major benefits of having a child abroad, are mostly for the parents, not the kids, in the overall picture.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by tpia1: 5:58pm On Jul 18, 2014
GboyegaD:

You know people work twice as hard to make it in the US for real? Is it from experience or hear says? If you tell me you need be upright and hardworking as there is no room for sluggards I will agree but that they have to work twice as hard, I totally disagree.

you do know america is a multi cultural country.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by GboyegaD(m): 5:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
rolled: And what if the parents are not interested?
You really feel everyone in naija is so crazy about living abroad
Do you know someone born in Niageria who has a very good job can travel even to that usa and be more comfortable than a us citizen?
Na wa oh

I think it will be best for you to explain how you mean by someone who visits being more comfortable than a US citizen. If you are comparing people of same status in Nigeria and US e.g an executive in both countries then I strongly disagree.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by GboyegaD(m): 6:00pm On Jul 18, 2014
tpia1:

you do know america is a multi cultural country.

Sure but how does that corroborate either of our views?

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by tpia1: 6:01pm On Jul 18, 2014
GboyegaD:

Sure but how does that corroborate either of our views?

it doesnt.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by GboyegaD(m): 6:03pm On Jul 18, 2014
tpia1:

instead of looking at "projected benefits", look at the reality on ground although i know most nigerians dont do that with anything that is not nigeria.

The major benefits of having a child abroad, are mostly for the parents, not the kids, in the overall picture.

It is both ways. For the parent, it is providing a good platform that gives the child choices and for the child, it is an opportunity to get benefits that would have been difficult to harness because s/he isn't a citizen.

1 Like

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by tpia1: 6:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
GboyegaD:

It is both ways. For the parent, it is providing a good platform that gives the child choices and for the child, it is an opportunity to get benefits that would have been difficult to harness because s/he isn't a citizen.

there are no benefits a citizen has that a legal immigrant doesnt have.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by GboyegaD(m): 6:35pm On Jul 18, 2014
tpia1:

How easy is it for one to be an immigrant particularly someone from a 3rd world country?
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by tpia1: 6:37pm On Jul 18, 2014
no, its not easy, relatively speaking, but then nothing is.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by eureka: 7:52pm On Jul 18, 2014
OP you are not tired of being a tenant. Can never compare birthing a child in the US to real estate. My brother don't make the mistake. Start developing your property now. My 2 cents
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by Bawss1(m): 10:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
tpia1:

Not sure if you are joking with this statement.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by Genius100: 10:15pm On Jul 21, 2014

Well, there are way more opportunities in the US than virtually all other countries in the world. People in Nigeria are ready to work hard but what percentage of the population has the opportunity to really make it?

I'm certainly not advising the OP to by all means have his kid in the US.. I'm just pointing out one of the reasons people do it..
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Have Your Baby In The US? by kingsdaughter: 9:41am On Aug 27, 2014

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Daughter Came Back From School Like This, What Will Be Your Reaction? / Nkan bẹ: Woman Finds Out Husband Died TWO Years Before They Married. / Man Shares Encounter With A Woman Who Brought Her Kids And Maid To Restaurant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.