Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,277 members, 7,811,826 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:24 PM

19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English (701 Views)

Nigerian Pidgins English And Their Interpretations. / TEENAGERS ONLY(14 - 19)::: Post Your Picture If You Think You Cute!! / 19 Year Old Nigerian Girl in UK Looking for Her Parents in Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 15, 2014
As a lifelong Anglophile and a recent newcomer to London, I can understand America’s burgeoning love affair with British English. But even with the spike in usage of Britishisms, there are still a number of words and phrases that can baffle even the most pretentious BBC America fans. Next time you’re in London, keep these translations to hand—or as the Yanks would say, nearby—and you’ll be just fine.

1. Knock up: To wake up. Don’t freak out if your flatmate says he will be sure to knock you up in the morning.

2. Pants: Underwear. Be careful not to compliment your friend’s new pants, or she will be very confused. Trousers or slacks are what you wear over your pants.

3. Take the piss: To take advantage of; to ridicule. This is one of the more unattractive British phrases that show up frequently in conversation.

4. Bum bag: Fanny pack. For your own sake, don’t say “fanny pack.” (Come to think of it, don’t say “fanny” at all.)

5. Poncy: An especially negative version of the word “posh.”

6. Plaster: A band-aid.

7. Whinge: To whine.

8. Cash point: An ATM.

9. Car park: Though it sounds more like an auto show, it’s just a parking lot.

10. Garden: Backyard. A front yard or lawn is referred to as the front garden.

11. Accident and Emergency: An emergency room or trauma center; commonly referred to as the “A&E.”

12. Pot: Carton or container, as in, “I had a yoghurt pot for breakfast.”

13. Sex pest: Though it sounds like some unpleasant disease, a sex pest is more akin to a sexual predator or someone who sexually harasses others.

14. Sign on: It has nothing to do with AOL—it actually means to sign up for welfare.

15. The dog’s bollocks: If something is the dog’s bollocks, it is excellent.

16. Tramp: Homeless person. You can still get upset if someone says you dress like a tramp; you’ll just be upset for a different reason.

17. Rude boy: Thug or delinquent. A rude boy in England probably has no special affinity for ska music, unlike the rude boys in the U.S. and Jamaica.

18. Jumper: Sweater or pullover.

19. Mucky pup: Messy person.

Kathleen Elise is a graduate student at University College London..
http://mentalfloss.com/article/12843/19-confounding-discrepancies-between-american-english-and-british-english

1 Like

Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by Nobody: 6:52am On Jul 15, 2014
I prefer the British (London) English to the Standard American English. I believe BrE sounds more exciting and posh cool

1 Like

Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by Nobody: 6:56am On Jul 15, 2014
Interesting!
Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by Nobody: 6:59am On Jul 15, 2014
^^
Are u familiar with the phrase "To set the cats amongst the pigeons"? That's a famous British phrase.
Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by spicy244(f): 7:11am On Jul 15, 2014
I prefer british english to American. Buh its kinda interesting
Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by Odunharry(m): 8:58am On Jul 15, 2014
#teamBritishENG

mod frontpage

2 Likes

Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by Afam4eva(m): 9:10am On Jul 15, 2014
American English is still weird to me. I can never use pant in place of trouser because it means something else in Nigeria(British English). Though i prefer American English and like Ebonics even more grin
Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by dapyd1(m): 11:53am On Jul 15, 2014
Interesting.
Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by RANDY1: 2:04am On Jul 16, 2014

5 Likes

Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by 19naia(m): 2:25am On Jul 16, 2014
Trunk=Boot

Wrench=Spanner

Truck=Lorry

Cracker=Buiscuit=Cookie

Color=colour
honor=honour
etc.
Re: 19 Confounding Discrepancies Between American English And British English by Nobody: 2:32am On Jul 16, 2014
American English-----British English

Roster---Squad

Extra time---Over time

Entertainer---Artiste

Bankruptcy---Administration

Trade (sports)----Transfer

Sports-----Sport

Color------Colour

Labor------Labour

Intersection----Junction

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Soldiers Repel Attack On Konduga, Kill Scores Of Islamist Insurgents. / Free JAMB 2015 CBT Online Practice / How To Behave As A Successful Man In Naija By Chinua Onwukike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.