Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,602 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful (8123 Views)

My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) / Intending And First-time Farmers: Lets Meet Here / A Must Read For Plantain Farmers And Intending Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 2:10pm On Jul 15, 2014
Anybody that says agriculture does not pay, or cannot make you to be successful is a big liar. Do you know the reason why I said this? I was once in that category. Over 10 years ago, I aspired to be a medical doctor, but if it doesn't work out for me, I will choose microbiology as an alternative. I did all my possible best to be admitted to any of these field, but all to no avail (I passed my jamb and post UTME). Out of frustration, I decided to move to agriculture in which I have been successful without regret.
Agribusiness is a very lucrative business. Take it or leave it! I have tried it and it works out good for me. The reasons why most people run away from agriculture are laziness; cannot take risk; fear of failing. Of a truth, anyone that give those reasons cannot go into any business at all.
Let me tell you, there is no aspect of agribusiness that is not profitable. Either fishery, poultry, pig, rabbit, sheep, goat, cattle, cane rat production, agro-allied business, etc. The mistake most people make is that, they rush into a business without having a sound knowledge of what they are going into. Some will say, "My friend started it and he was successful, and so I will do it too." Have you contacted your friend for more information about the business? You must know the fundamentals of a particular business before you start. Even if you cannot carry out a feasibility study, try and use your instinct to know if you have a favorable environment for a particular agribusiness. For instance, can you start catfish production where there is scarcity of water? Can you setup a pig farm where people don't consume pork (meat of pig)? That is why I like those who always contact me for more information before they setup their farms. I count them as wise people.
These are some of the things that are needed to be considered when going into any agric-related business.
Yes, I know someone will refer to finance as a hindrance. Seriously, money shouldn't be recognized as a problem. A friend of mine always say, "You become a failure the moment you take money as a problem." As an intending poultry farmer, you can start with buying and selling one crate of eggs. Save your profit and plan to expand as profit increases. There are many rich farmers who started this way and they are now an employer of labour. I tried something like this too and it worked for me (contact me and I will give you more tip about this free of charge).
Once again agribusiness is profitable but information and research makes it very easy for you to choose that which will make you successful. Visit websites, forums, and blogs in the agriculture niche for more information on becoming successful through farming. I have a new blog in the livestock farming niche www.livestocking.com , there are information that will interest you there.
Remember, Nigeria has little or nothing to offer the unemployed, now is the time for you to help yourself. As a Youth Corper, try and save for the future. Save part of your monthly allowance even though it’s not enough for you. If you are though with youth service, work towards being an entrepreneur, because…….Entrepreneurship pays.

12 Likes

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by luckygirl02(f): 10:58am On Jul 16, 2014
God bless you for dis wonderful piece.

3 Likes

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by 2baga(m): 12:46pm On Jul 16, 2014
hmmmm following like bumper to fender
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Pavore9: 1:25pm On Jul 16, 2014
lndeed research is very key. Get as much information as you can regarding whatever u want to venture into. l have in mind to go into cultivating strawberry, capsicum & butternut squash when l get back to Nigeria, so am understudying farms in Kenya.

2 Likes

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:33pm On Jul 29, 2014
luckygirl02: God bless you for dis wonderful piece.
UWC dear.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:33pm On Jul 29, 2014
2baga: hmmmm following like bumper to fender
I hope your bumper is strong?

2 Likes

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:35pm On Jul 29, 2014
Pavore9: lndeed research is very key. Get as much information as you can regarding whatever u want to venture into. l have in mind to go into cultivating strawberry, capsicum & butternut squash when l get back to Nigeria, so am understudying farms in Kenya.

That's good. I hope those plant species thrives well in Nigeria.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Pavore9: 10:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
ayodejy05:

That's good. I hope those plant species thrives well in Nigeria.
Thanks, Yes they do.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by kaima1984(f): 3:55am On Jul 30, 2014
Congrats dearie,keep it up
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by justi4jesu(f): 3:55am On Jul 30, 2014
Nice one OP
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by shadowwalker101: 4:10am On Jul 30, 2014
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img] [img]http:///?k_id=utibeokodi[/img]
I am not a farmer
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Nobody: 4:19am On Jul 30, 2014
Farming is good,but the risk factor is too high..mum Ventured into fish farming,she ran at a loss,but she's determined,she hatches the fingerlings herself now..the business is damn too capital intensive,and very stressful..a close friend went into poultry,with time,the fowls started dying,he had to start selling at give away price,also ran at a loss..
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Pavore9: 5:03am On Jul 30, 2014
@Yomieluv,l advise u tell your mum to go & understudy a fish farmer who is running his/her farm @ a profit, so she gets the know-hows. lnformation is very important. Am in kenya & understudying farmers who are successful in the crops am interestd in.

1 Like

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by naijagraduates: 5:34am On Jul 30, 2014
We thank the OP for this....
Risk and uncertainty in agriculture could occur but remember a man that takes no risk makes no success

Please like us on www.facebook.com/naugnigeria
We shall turn around the Agricultural and industrial sector around.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ogb5(m): 5:52am On Jul 30, 2014
Great write up only that it is interlaced with lies and half truths grin

10 yrs ago there was no post UTME. so you could not have sat for a post UTME 10 yrs ago.

Saying those who run away from agriculture as lazy is at best a half truth. Agriculture like any other business is profitable when well managed but several factors can still make the agro-businessman go bankrupt. There are real risks in agrobusiness. Downplay those risks at your peril.

Studying and research can reduce the risk like you said but will not eliminate the risk.

5 Likes

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by blueheart(m): 6:12am On Jul 30, 2014
Love this. A budding livestock farmer as well. Kudos Op
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Ademat7(m): 6:15am On Jul 30, 2014
Agriculture cannot be done by mere studying of e-book as the custom on nairaland,you need to get quality training (at least 6month) to be very ground in what you want to do because agric has no risk but uncertainty which is what even d bankers fear when d society want them to help farmer cos(uncertainty is worse than risk).a case study is d case of bird flu disease that occur some years ago.mk I pause for now
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Henrypraise: 6:25am On Jul 30, 2014
I tink d best way to eliminate risk in agriculture is devotin time. In d HSE business, we say safety isn't d absence of hazard, but d ability to work witout bein hurt by des hazards, same apply to agric. Devoting ur tym is d best. I once had a fish farm, I ran into lots of debt.

N please bloggers don't cum here n try to ova hype ursef, was post UME existing 10yrs ago?
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Pavore9: 6:28am On Jul 30, 2014
Quality training is key, so u know what u are dealin with. ln my training on capsicum,butternut squash & strawberry, l started from d stage of land preparation, planting, irrigating,fertilizing, weed control til harvest & post-harvest preservation.

1 Like

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by miccheck58: 6:40am On Jul 30, 2014
ogb5: Great write up only that it is interlaced with lies and half truths grin

10 yrs ago there was no post UTME. so you could not have sat for a post UTME 10 yrs ago.

Saying those who run away from agriculture as lazy is at best a half truth. Agriculture like any other business is profitable when well managed but several factors can still make the agro-businessman go bankrupt. There are real risks in agrobusiness. Downplay those risks at your peril.

Studying and research can reduce the risk like you said but will not eliminate the risk.

Are you serious? Post utme not up to ten years? The first post utme was in 2004... please do your simple arithmetic....
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Liamm(m): 7:14am On Jul 30, 2014
Nice one
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by kujix101(m): 7:32am On Jul 30, 2014
miccheck58:

Are you serious? Post utme not up to ten years? The first post utme was in 2004... please do your simple arithmetic....

1 Like

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ogb5(m): 7:45am On Jul 30, 2014
miccheck58:

Post utme started in the 2005/2006 session. So its not yet up to 10 yrs.
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:20am On Jul 30, 2014
Nice one OP
Leave it or take it agriculture is the next thing to happen in Nigeria.
The earlier people know and start,the better.
Its very lucrative and also very risky
Very lucrative,if you obtain the necesary skills on the business and very risky if you have little information and wants to jump into the business.

4 Good advise For You

1.Know which area you want to venture into
Animal husbandry (poultry,rabitary,bee keeping, e.t.c) or Crop production (cassava,corn,melon e.t.c) or Processing(flour,mills, e.t.c) or distribution (local market or export),

2 Evaluate which area you can start with with your current financial resources.
Never venture into export when you know you dont have the resources to start export.
It all boils down to calculating your cost and profit analysis before starting

3Lack of information

The agribusiness terrain changes faster than You think.You need info from experts,sucessful people in the business.
Network and follow these people.

4.Farming is not a hobby,it is a business therefore manage it as you will manage a business.
subscribe to agric journals both local and international to know more.

Want to start in agribusiness,for more info
email info@agroservices.com or call 08164628081,01-7910494

1 Like

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:27am On Jul 30, 2014
Yomieluv: Farming is good,but the risk factor is too high..mum Ventured into fish farming,she ran at a loss,but she's determined,she hatches the fingerlings herself now..the business is damn too capital intensive,and very stressful..a close friend went into poultry,with time,the fowls started dying,he had to start selling at give away price,also ran at a loss..
Tell them to get more information about the business.It is very lucrative.
Agribusiness is not an overnight money making venture.
Do your assignment before you get started;and it will be very smooth all the way.
Read books related to agriculture,connect with them either by liking their page,surf internet to get more information on the business e.t.c
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by AdekunleSegun(m): 8:41am On Jul 30, 2014
Proudly Agriculturist
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:46am On Jul 30, 2014
Ademat7: Agriculture cannot be done by mere studying of e-book as the custom on nairaland,you need to get quality training (at least 6month) to be very ground in what you want to do because agric has no risk but uncertainty which is what even d bankers fear when d society want them to help farmer cos(uncertainty is worse than risk).a case study is d case of bird flu disease that occur some years ago.mk I pause for now
Ebooks are good but you have to buy ebooks from people you know has both the theoretical and practical experience.
Although,theoretical experience hardly works or difficult to apply in agriculture,when you buy their ebook,ask for an offer to visit their farms,(most will be willing except those with no experience) and ask as many questions as possible.
You can't make good money from a business that is not risky.
Getting all the information you need is also a calculated effort at reducing your risk.
I believe your mum that fail didnot have much information about the.business before starting out.
That should not discourage you from launching out or believe agribusiness is not profitable.
Agribusiness is next Big thing to happen
Go For It!
Like us on www.facebook.com/lesgupnigeria for more info or email yusuffgbenga@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:51am On Jul 30, 2014
Pavore9: Quality training is key, so u know what u are dealin with. ln my training on capsicum,butternut squash & strawberry, l started from d stage of land preparation, planting, irrigating,fertilizing, weed control til harvest & post-harvest preservation.
rightly said
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 8:58am On Jul 30, 2014
ayodejy05: Anybody that says agriculture does not pay, or cannot make you to be successful is a big liar. Do you know the reason why I said this? I was once in that category. Over 10 years ago, I aspired to be a medical doctor, but if it doesn't work out for me, I will choose microbiology as an alternative. I did all my possible best to be admitted to any of these field, but all to no avail (I passed my jamb and post UTME). Out of frustration, I decided to move to agriculture in which I have been successful without regret.
Agribusiness is a very lucrative business. Take it or leave it! I have tried it and it works out good for me. The reasons why most people run away from agriculture are laziness; cannot take risk; fear of failing. Of a truth, anyone that give those reasons cannot go into any business at all.
Let me tell you, there is no aspect of agribusiness that is not profitable. Either fishery, poultry, pig, rabbit, sheep, goat, cattle, cane rat production, agro-allied business, etc. The mistake most people make is that, they rush into a business without having a sound knowledge of what they are going into. Some will say, "My friend started it and he was successful, and so I will do it too." Have you contacted your friend for more information about the business? You must know the fundamentals of a particular business before you start. Even if you cannot carry out a feasibility study, try and use your instinct to know if you have a favorable environment for a particular agribusiness. For instance, can you start catfish production where there is scarcity of water? Can you setup a pig farm where people don't consume pork (meat of pig)? That is why I like those who always contact me for more information before they setup their farms. I count them as wise people.
These are some of the things that are needed to be considered when going into any agric-related business.
Yes, I know someone will refer to finance as a hindrance. Seriously, money shouldn't be recognized as a problem. A friend of mine always say, "You become a failure the moment you take money as a problem." As an intending poultry farmer, you can start with buying and selling one crate of eggs. Save your profit and plan to expand as profit increases. There are many rich farmers who started this way and they are now an employer of labour. I tried something like this too and it worked for me (contact me and I will give you more tip about this free of charge).
Once again agribusiness is profitable but information and research makes it very easy for you to choose that which will make you successful. Visit websites, forums, and blogs in the agriculture niche for more information on becoming successful through farming. I have a new blog in the livestock farming niche www.livestocking.com , there are information that will interest you there.
Remember, Nigeria has little or nothing to offer the unemployed, now is the time for you to help yourself. As a Youth Corper, try and save for the future. Save part of your monthly allowance even though it’s not enough for you. If you are though with youth service, work towards being an entrepreneur, because…….Entrepreneurship pays.

Sorry for the typos and grammatical errors. I have edited and published it on my blog. Read it here http://www.livestocking.com/2014/07/advice-to-nysc-corpers-unemployed-and.html and there are lots of information that are helpful and useful on my blog
Re: Good Advice To The Unemployed And Intending Farmers. Very Helpful by ayodejy05(m): 9:10am On Jul 30, 2014
Yomieluv: Farming is good,but the risk factor is too high..mum Ventured into fish farming,she ran at a loss,but she's determined,she hatches the fingerlings herself now..the business is damn too capital intensive,and very stressful..a close friend went into poultry,with time,the fowls started dying,he had to start selling at give away price,also ran at a loss..

Those kinds of experiences are inevitable. That is why I stated that risk bearing is important. I ventured into catfish farming but I wasn't successful for the first two times I tried, why? I was afraid to invest well into it (I was really managing feed), but now I'm smiling every time I remember those times I failed. Most of the successful farmers in Nigeria had at one time failed to the point of going back but they didn't. Yes, they did not relent in their efforts. Now, they are employers of labour. Just have the right mindset for success and you will surely get there. Remember, start small and make research when starting a business.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Practical Training On Profitable Agribusiness In 2015 *with pictures* / How To Increase The Body Weight Of Broilers / 300 acres of farmland for outright sale along Benin-Okada expressway.#65M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.