Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:10 PM

My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) (15675 Views)

Big Python I Killed In My Farm Today And What Has Become Of It. / I Found Multiple Pythons On My Farm (Photos) / My Noiler Farm Experience (hybrid Of Broiler + Cockerel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:37pm On Sep 07, 2015
I will not be telling the truth if i say that this farming season has been very easy and rosy for farmers
It has come with it, lots of tremendous challenges and stress but with God's help,some of it have been nipped in the bud.
Am i to talk about farm destruction by cattle rearers,irregular rainfall, or disease infestations?
i might open hundreds of threads if i am to start writing stories about all of these,i will leave that to other days.
In an open and direct-to-the-point manner,i will want to share my experiences for you to learn and help you in making right decisions from farmland,market,irrigation,operational activities as related to farming business in Nigeria.
Kindly Follow me and learn as i share my experiences

You can also get more info on my page www.facebook.com/waleagro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by adedam007(m): 10:44pm On Sep 07, 2015
Ok sire
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by hajlat(m): 8:47pm On Sep 11, 2015
Following
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:40pm On Sep 16, 2015
There are facts you should know when venturing into farming.
People do ask me "are their Fulani cattle readers in the location where you farm"
My answer is always "there is no place where you won't find cattle rearers in Nigeria" except you want to be deceived.Even local tribes where the Fulani people reside have even join in the trade of rearing cattle sometimes destroying their own farm in the process.
The question is now "how can the cattle risks be eradicated"
The answer will come in subsequent posts.
You might be making a great mistake if this risk is not nipped in the bud before starting out.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by avizk: 2:14pm On Sep 17, 2015
Thanks a million. We are anxious for ur next post
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Hallams(m): 2:37pm On Sep 17, 2015
[color=#000099][/color] following
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:49am On Sep 19, 2015
Hallams:
[color=#000099][/color] following
thanks for following
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:35pm On Sep 19, 2015
hajlat:
Following
thanks for following.
watch out for more.
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:27pm On Oct 23, 2015
Its being a while that I have updated this thread due to some virus attack on my IPad and all my farm pictures and videos were wiped out
Thank God for Cloud technology that has helped in restoring them back
So,let me continue from where I stopped.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2015
As I have said previously,Fulani herdsmen are found everywhere in the country,from the north to the south and they have inflict untold injuries,destroy hectares of farmlands,cause a lot of havoc to farmers.
I have had my own share of the experience.
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:57pm On Oct 23, 2015
MY EXPERIENCE WITH FULANI HERDSMEN
Last year was very challenging
One of my friend use to say "something that do not kill you,makes you stronger". This was true in my case.
My experience make me stronger and more experienced. It was the greatest and the fiercest fulani battle I have ever fought.For the first time,my BP rose to an abnormal level, I almost had heart attack.
Could you imagine cattle rearers leading their cattle's to eat up and destroy hundreds of hectares of cassava?
After the first destruction,I employed security guards to secure the farm perimeter day and night and had series of meetings with the Fulani heads in the village to talk to their subordinates to desist from the barbaric act

Some few weeks after,I received a call that the security guard had shot down one of the cow of another Fulani man leading again his cattles to the cassava farm and the Fulani in the village are mobilising their people to kill and burn the whole village down.....
Hearing this, a lot of negative thoughts,news of previous killings between Fulani and villagers begin to race through my mind,
I said to myself " no be because of cassava,hundreds of lives will be lost" As I urgently needed to protect the cassava,so do I need to protect the villagers and knowing that the security guard is from the village.

Before I could contact the Fulani heads,the guard and some of the villagers have been arrested and charged to court
You will not want to know the psychological and physical stress i went through for weeks just to secure their release and parted with hundreds of thousands of naira for bail and to settle out of court (I have to pay for the cattles killed before case was striked out)

Talking to these cattle rearers or trying to make peace is not the solution because they are deaf, dumb and wicked.

After this incidence,they still came to the farm numerous times
The more i keep arresting them,the more they keep coming
Later, I discover its not the solution and will keep wasting my hard earned money.....I began to think hard and research the solution.

Pic below: The gun the guard use in killing the fulani cows

2 Likes

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:25pm On Oct 23, 2015
THE SOLUTION
Fulani herdsmen has increase the cost of crop production.
From my research,the best solution is to make use of fence made of barbed wire or at the least bamboo fence which you can get around the farm
I advise farmers to construct fence around the perimeter of the farm before starting any land preparation.
Bamboo will reduce the incidence by at least 70%

3 Likes

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by whirlwind7(m): 5:33pm On Oct 23, 2015
Most farmers are aware they can protect their farmlands with such wire fences.
The question is, how many farmers can afford the cost of securing hectares of farmland with this?

For instance, kindly give an estimate of what it would cost to fence 1 hectare with this type of wire fence.

3 Likes

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:00pm On Oct 23, 2015
ON LAND

Get FERTILE CHEAP land with good road access.
Buying expensive land for farming purpose is not a profitable way of starting out.

To be continued

1 Like

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:37pm On Oct 24, 2015
This agribusiness requires hardworking,determination and huge commitment
Its the passion that keeps me going....I would have give up and give in and will not be where I am today.
I laugh when some people want to become millionaire overnight
You will need a lot of mentoring,skills and experience on the type of crop you are venturing into...
Without which you might not succeed.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:04am On Oct 25, 2015
whirlwind7:
Most farmers are aware they can protect their farmlands with such wire fences.
The question is, how many farmers can afford the cost of securing hectares of farmland with this?

For instance, kindly give an estimate of what it would cost to fence 1 hectare with this type of wire fence.
For farmers that can't afford the cost of erecting a wire fence,at least bamboo fencing will do
Bamboo are cheap and can be cut with chain saw from the trees around the farm.
It will reduce the incidence at least by 70% if not totally.
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:50am On Oct 26, 2015
If you are starting in farming business, purchase land where there is capacity to expand and grow bigger and where there is good road access.

1 Like

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:51pm On Oct 27, 2015
The future of Agric produce selling in Nigeria is Contract sale
The earlier farmers key in into this,the better for us.
Will talk about it on this thread.
Stay tuned.
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by raphaeladex: 3:14pm On Nov 01, 2015
Lesgup,you are the best that's why i am addicted to your threads

1 Like

Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by 9janinja(m): 7:40pm On Nov 29, 2015
.....Lesgupnigeria ur farm experience diary might convince me to go into cassava farming , dats if its truly profitable as u said in 1 of ur posts.
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by thintug: 8:30pm On Nov 29, 2015
please who has the contact of any of any processing plant/company in delta/edo,i have cassava to sell... please contact me thintug@gmail.com/ 0708 378 7394
thanks
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by awoniyisunmonu(m): 8:04am On Dec 10, 2015
Nice, informative thread
have learnt a lot from your experience.
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by awoniyisunmonu(m): 12:22pm On Dec 11, 2015
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:00pm On Dec 18, 2015
raphaeladex:
Lesgup,you are the best that's why i am addicted to your threads
thanks.God bless you.
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:57pm On Dec 20, 2015
9janinja:
.....Lesgupnigeria ur farm experience diary might convince me to go into cassava farming , dats if its truly profitable as u said in 1 of ur posts.
It is profitable.
Go for it but let me know first to intimate you with major important things to know to succeed in it.
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:36pm On Dec 21, 2015
awoniyisunmonu:
Nice, informative thread
have learnt a lot from your experience.
Thanks.God bless
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:38pm On Apr 22, 2016
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by LagosBoi2(m): 1:05pm On Apr 23, 2016
I am following this thread and I wish to learn more
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by mumanex: 8:22pm On Apr 26, 2016
Nice one lesgup following thread
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:02pm On Apr 28, 2016
LagosBoi2:
I am following this thread and I wish to learn more
Ok.I will share some insights soon.
Keep following
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:56am On Apr 29, 2016
mumanex:
Nice one lesgup following thread
thanks
Re: My Farm Experience Diary: Advice For Intending And Established Farmers (pics) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 4:15pm On May 05, 2016
Most developing countries like Nigeria,Brazil, and Argentina with huge prospect for economic turn around through agriculture have not yet been able to fully mechanise agriculture without the use of labor.
In Nigeria,one of the challenges i face on the farm is getting a knowledgeble laborers who knows and can do as instructed with little or no supervision.
Unfortunately,these type of workers are very scarce and hard to find.
I have tips and advice on how to take care of that in my next postings
stay tuned.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Help!!! My Dad's Cashew Farm Doesn't Produce / Agro-processor Association Of Nigeria Proffers Solution To High Garri Price / I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.