Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? (10530 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil / The African Phenotype Diversity Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Damyion(m): 2:13am On Jul 16, 2014
The issue of corporal punishment has been a solid ground for arguements among cultural moralists all over the world. Be that as it may, it remains an option for african parents up till date. The expression, 'Spare the rod, spoil the child.' has been the anthem in most homes. This is not limited to blacks living in europe and other parts of the world.
However, from another perspective, it seems ridiculous to pick a cane and hit a child with it. Some even go to the extreme, using broken bottles, pressing irons and pretty much anything they can lay their hands on. Some believe a child should be talked to, not beaten.
This is not an issue of whether it is right or wrong, it's a matter of wondering if this will still remain part of a culture that seems to be fading away with the winds of time and civilization...
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 2:30am On Jul 16, 2014
Moderation should be exercised in dispensing corporal punishment to our children.

They must be made aware of why they are being punished and should also be rewarded when they exhibition good behaviours.

By so doing, the good in them is reinforced while the bad is repressed.

I punish my child with love even though I am pained doing so but afterward I lavish him with uncommon love.

10 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Damyion(m): 2:44am On Jul 16, 2014
matify:
Moderation should be exercised in dispensing corporal punishment to our children.

They must be made aware of why they are being punished and should also be rewarded when they exhibition good behaviours.

I punish my child with love even though I am pained doing so but afterward I lavish him with uncommon love.
Well said, sir.

3 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Tallesty1(m): 7:11am On Jul 16, 2014
matify:

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by hazyfm: 7:37am On Jul 16, 2014
hmmm.. i support
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Smartsyn(m): 7:37am On Jul 16, 2014
It won't fade anytime soon, not with the stubborn nature of kids of nowadays.

It ll only reduce with new methods invented.

4 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Talkcentral: 7:37am On Jul 16, 2014
h
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Talkcentral: 7:37am On Jul 16, 2014
matify:

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by superior1: 7:38am On Jul 16, 2014
[size=13pt] It is African to apply punitive measures to correct wayward children[/size]
@OP, what do you mean by "significant part?"

9 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by publicenemy(m): 7:38am On Jul 16, 2014
@OP did you read the thread of the Redeem Pastor who got killed by his son?

Thats a classic example of sparing the rod.

6 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by merbenko: 7:40am On Jul 16, 2014
That should not be a tool for punishing our children
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Afrocatalyst: 7:41am On Jul 16, 2014
Yes,it's needed but in moderation and with love.

2 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by CharlieMaria(m): 7:42am On Jul 16, 2014
OK.
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Funbii(m): 7:43am On Jul 16, 2014
will be bck to read
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by jayseehe(m): 7:44am On Jul 16, 2014
we have to learn to use other methods

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Chidexter(m): 7:51am On Jul 16, 2014
Without corporal punishment, there'll be a high rate of criminals, wayward children and a wayward society in general.

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by yousee(m): 7:53am On Jul 16, 2014
I am totally in support of corporal punishment.
Modified and upgraded to suit the times.
Take away from the child that one thing he/she loves best and rather channel them to other activities.

My punishment those days was "read this book and tell me the story when i return from work"
That was so bad at first, cos i wanted to run the streets and play ball with my neighbours.
Well, long story short, i fell in love with the African Writers Series at a very young age and it really helped shape me.

5 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Dygeasy(m): 7:53am On Jul 16, 2014
Kids can be stubborn and exasperating at times. Moderation should be key.

In this age and time there are better ways than flogging. The poster above me has a very good example.

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Billygee2u: 7:53am On Jul 16, 2014
As God chastise His children He loves ,so should parents also do

2 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by dridowu: 7:53am On Jul 16, 2014
corporal punishment
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by superior1: 7:54am On Jul 16, 2014
Damyion: Spare the rod, spoil the child.

That's the Bible (Proverb 13:24)

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Kross911: 7:59am On Jul 16, 2014
I support u sir. But k ids of these day are so intelligent that they take advantage of the love lavished on them by their parent,knowing fully well that their ever loving parent will not spank/beat them(common in rich families) this I guess will lead if not checked to a more societal moral decay than we've seen already.

4 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by olaezebala: 8:00am On Jul 16, 2014
Whooping of ass is spiritually ordained as in "spare the rod and spoil the child"

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by yommyphresh(m): 8:04am On Jul 16, 2014
Omo t'oba n'iya oun o ni sun...

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by searay(m): 8:05am On Jul 16, 2014
This is why Lagos is the way it is. Touts everywhere. No punishment.

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by bizngr(f): 8:10am On Jul 16, 2014
There should be caution...
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Calebosko(m): 8:16am On Jul 16, 2014
I beleve dat when a child is maltreated,or over cane,such as esposing her to Army training kind of brougt up al because they dont want d child to spoil, this resulted on making d child 2 be hash wen he or she grow up, somtime he may transer dat kind of treatment to d society, hence we are aving so many heartless people in nigeria compared to oyibo who dont endorse such, for example a man who cannot kill a fly wil be ready to smogle,or maim a man alive as soon as he join d nigerian army due to d kind of training he has been exposed to, i know over pampering is not good,but we dont av to take is so much on a child so as to avoid kiling d Gods givin love and Emotion in a child due to d ill treatment he or she eas exposed to.

3 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by yemi2plus(m): 8:25am On Jul 16, 2014
jayseehe: we have to learn to use other methods

Like?
Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 16, 2014
Calebosko: I beleve dat when a child is maltreated,or over cane,such as esposing her to Army training kind of brougt up al because they dont want d child to spoil, this resulted on making d child 2 be hash wen he or she grow up, somtime he may transer dat kind of treatment to d society, hence we are aving so many heartless people in nigeria compared to oyibo who dont endorse such, for example a man who cannot kill a fly wil be ready to smogle,or maim a man alive as soon as he join d nigerian army due to d kind of training he has been exposed to, i know over pampering is not good,but we dont av to take is so much on a child so as to avoid kiling d Gods givin love and Emotion in a child due to d ill treatment he or she eas exposed to.

Absolutely. Nigerians are capable of the most wicked things I've ever seen in my life, and it is because of the cruelty of their upbringing.

3 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nihilist: 8:29am On Jul 16, 2014
Corporal Punishment is barbaric and needs to be stopped.

Africans seem to confuse fear with respect.

Flogging a child forces him to fear the parent and not necessarily respect him.

I never EVER hit my own little boy

I want him to consciously understand what is wrong and avoid doing it for the fact that it is wrong, and not avoid wrongdoing for the fear of violence.

2 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nihilist: 8:42am On Jul 16, 2014
yousee: I am totally in support of corporal punishment.
Modified and upgraded to suit the times.
Take away from the child that one thing he/she loves best and rather channel them to other activities.

My punishment those days was "read this book and tell me the story when i return from work"
That was so bad at first, cos i wanted to run the streets and play ball with my neighbours.
Well, long story short, i fell in love with the African Writers Series at a very young age and it really helped shape me.

This!

This is exactly what my mum used to do to me....

I only ever got flogged at school.

It's what I do to my boy now.

2 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? by Nihilist: 8:44am On Jul 16, 2014
publicenemy: @OP did you read the thread of the Redeem Pastor who got killed by his son?

Thats a classic example of sparing the rod.

You will find that the boy over-reacted to the extreme brutality of his dad's brand of 'punishment'

His dad beat him with his fists and with a spatula, and BIT him with his teeth...

So please spare us the BS. Thanks.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are East Africans Really BLACK???? / Black/white? / IBADAN: The City Of Warriors; The Defenders Of The Yorubas.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.