Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,851 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (17533 Views)

African People With Blue Eyes...weird... O_o / Red-head African People / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:15pm On Jul 09, 2014
My entire topic could not fit in the subject.

My question to the Nairaland populace is whether as individuals you even care about your very own culture, tradition, language and heritage anymore? If not, where does your inferiority complex stem from? What has transformed you into a person with no identity? Thanks!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 4:26pm On Jul 09, 2014
Fulaman198: My entire topic could not fit in the subject.

My question to the Nairaland populace is whether as individuals you even care about your very own culture, tradition, language and heritage anymore? If not, where does your inferiority complex stem from? What has transformed you into a person with no identity? Thanks!

Your question is flawed

Culture is dynamic

Define african culture.. before you can say not having one type of culture stems from inferiority complex

This way, while i get your thrust, you steer clear of needless controversies and focus on logic

Every person has an identity.. it just may not suit your fancy

7 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by AfricanApple(f): 4:28pm On Jul 09, 2014
yes
some still do, u need to go to traditional gatherings to see how pple still appreciate their culture
but most often, u will see where pple appreciate their culture and still cant help dying for the white man's. pathetic

9 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by AfricanApple(f): 4:32pm On Jul 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

Your question is flawed

Culture is dynamic

Define african culture.. before you can say not having one type of culture stems from inferiority complex

This way, while i get your thrust, you steer clear of needless controversies and focus on logic

but no matter how diverse african culture is, we always have one or two tinz in common but is it so with non-africans?

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by anonymous6(f): 4:37pm On Jul 09, 2014
I do and majority of Africans I have bumped into, particularly the Nigerians do. Nigerians have pride in the culture whether they are Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa and etc.

If you go to the western world like America or the UK many Africans have cultural festivals and clubs. Their are Igbo, edo and Yoruba cultural associations in many states in America however I do feel their are some lost Africans and there are some Africans that do take it for granted and don't appreciate as much as they should

6 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:38pm On Jul 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

Your question is flawed

Culture is dynamic

Culture is only dynamic when it allows outside cultures to change it.

African culture means: African languages, African foods, African clothing, Traditional African music, African literature, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 4:40pm On Jul 09, 2014
AfricanApple: yes
some still do, u need to go to traditional gatherings to see how pple still appreciate their culture
but most often, u will see where pple appreciate their culture and still cant help dying for the white man's. pathetic

My culture is traditional Miss AfricanApple, I'm worried about other Nigerians here on Nairaland.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 4:50pm On Jul 09, 2014
Fulaman198:

African culture means: African languages, African foods, African clothing, Traditional African music, African literature, etc.

And that is the issue: inherent in your thinking.. you assume that african culture is monolithic.. heck all cultures have been influenced by other cultures are at one point or the other
As u told me earlier once... Fulanis influenced the Hausa and were also influenced in turn
Do you remember

AfricanApple: but no matter how diverse african culture is, we always have one or two tinz in common but is it so with non-africans?

Yes..non africans have a lot in common as they have common roots: Greek culture, Roman etc

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 5:02pm On Jul 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

And that is the issue: inherent in your thinking.. you assume that african culture is monolithic.. heck all cultures have been influenced by other cultures are at one point or the other
As u told me earlier once... Fulanis influenced the Hausa and were also influenced in turn
Do you remember

Yes..non africans have a lot in common as they have common roots: Greek culture, Roman etc

What I mean is that African cultures are being too heavily influenced by foreign cultures that are not even in Africa. An example of this is that many parents these days are opting not to teach their children their native language, and don't feel the need to speak their native language with their child and think only English is the way to go.

Nigerian popular music is very heavily Western or Indian influenced, Nigerians are notorious for copycat syndrome. If we continue on the path where we think we should only speak English, and not teach our future children our language, we will lose our culture. I know that a lot of Nigerians are in denial about this, but this could and definitely will happen if we do not address this problem now.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by AfricanApple(f): 5:17pm On Jul 09, 2014
Fulaman198:

My culture is traditional Miss AfricanApple, I'm worried about other Nigerians here on Nairaland.
ehhh, there is nothing u can do o. beta stop been worried. dis our nairaland nigerians no get duplicate at all

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by AfricanApple(f): 5:23pm On Jul 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

Do you remember

wat i mean is non african do not have anytin in common with we africans
they dnt ever ever appreciate our culture, they call it babaric and all dat but painfully we africans embrace and worship theirs with joy

4 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by fightforchange1(f): 5:51pm On Jul 09, 2014
Maybe you people do not value traditional aspects.of.culture like dance and religion and music.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:06pm On Jul 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

Your question is flawed

Culture is dynamic

typical excuse of a whitemans bootlicker.

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by fightforchange1(f): 6:17pm On Jul 09, 2014
fightforchange1: Maybe you people do not value traditional aspects.of.culture like dance and religion and music.
And traditional customs!
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 6:35pm On Jul 09, 2014
They don't, they call their languages dialects or patois, call their children, Kendrick, Meghan, amber and many other weird names, they look down on you when you present yourself as a Christian, they go as far as telling you that you love your culture too much when you listen your music or make fbk status in your language....they don't want to wear traditional clothes, and will kill for white weeding

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:35pm On Jul 09, 2014
AfricanApple: wat i mean is non african do not have anytin in common with we africans
they dnt ever ever appreciate our culture, they call it babaric and all dat but painfully we africans embrace and worship theirs with joy

Very true
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: They don't, they call their languages dialects or patois, call their children, Kendrick, Meghan, amber and many other weird names, they look down on you when you present yourself as a Christian, they go as far as telling you that you love your culture too much when you listen your music or make fbk status in your language....they don't want to wear traditional clothes, and will kill for white weeding

Very true my friend/brother
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:37pm On Jul 09, 2014
fightforchange1: Maybe you people do not value traditional aspects.of.culture like dance and religion and music.

That's only a few who are not white-washed/Westernised. I am not Westernised. If they had their way, I'm sure a lot of Nigerians here would want me to put my signature in English, not going to happen.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 6:42pm On Jul 09, 2014
I meant pagan, sometimes I regret sharing a living space/continent with those zombies .

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 6:49pm On Jul 09, 2014
CAMNEWTON4PRES: I meant pagan, sometimes I regret sharing a living space/continent with those zombies .

ROFLLL I dey feel your pain o
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 7:28pm On Jul 09, 2014
Now you are being specific which is why i said your intiial question was flawed

You have made a set of statements and from this made your conclusion and made a question from that

Language Is Culture
Africans Dont teach kids language
ergo.. Africans hate culture

Not very logical

I am passionate about this as you seem to be but to get value from this..This issue has to be facilitated in an unbiased way

As you can see pagan is already insulting and emotions are getting heated

I will stay out and watch as you guys jawjaw

Fulaman198:

What I mean is that African cultures are being too heavily influenced by foreign cultures that are not even in Africa. An example of this is that many parents these days are opting not to teach their children their native language, and don't feel the need to speak their native language with their child and think only English is the way to go.

Nigerian popular music is very heavily Western or Indian influenced, Nigerians are notorious for copycat syndrome. If we continue on the path where we think we should only speak English, and not teach our future children our language, we will lose our culture. I know that a lot of Nigerians are in denial about this, but this could and definitely will happen if we do not address this problem now.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 7:31pm On Jul 09, 2014
AfricanApple: wat i mean is non african do not have anytin in common with we africans

i will respond to you if you can answer three questions

- Define culture to you
- What is african culture
- What is uncommon about african culture

Then we can have a discussion
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by tpia5: 7:41pm On Jul 09, 2014
Fulaman198:

African culture means never crossing the sea.

So, if you have, you've already changed and westernized your culture.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 7:58pm On Jul 09, 2014
pickabeau1: Now you are being specific which is why i said your intiial question was flawed

You have made a set of statements and from this made your conclusion and made a question from that

Language Is Culture
Africans Dont teach kids language
ergo.. Africans hate culture

Not very logical

I am passionate about this as you seem to be but to get value from this..This issue has to be facilitated in an unbiased way

As you can see pagan is already insulting and emotions are getting heated

I will stay out and watch as you guys jawjaw

Ok let me dig a bit deeper and get a bit personal Pickabeau1 because I noticed this thread upsets you a bit smiley.

Do you speak your native language? Do you wear clothing mainly native from West Africa? If you answered yes to both questions, then I will proceed with this question. Do you speak your native language as well or better than the English language? Do you wear your traditional clothing to work?

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 8:15pm On Jul 09, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ok let me dig a bit deeper and get a bit personal Pickabeau1 because I noticed this thread upsets you a bit smiley.

Do you speak your native language? Do you wear clothing mainly native from West Africa? If you answered yes to both questions, then I will proceed with this question. Do you speak your native language as well or better than the English language? Do you wear your traditional clothing to work?

You are making an assumption i am upset which is not so.
also you have sidestepped my earlier questions about the illogicity of your assertions .. but i will only answer u because u r a guy i respect and proceed along your line of questioning
I do speak the language; i wear clothing on weekends.

Next

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 8:23pm On Jul 09, 2014
pickabeau1:

You are making an assumption i am upset which is not so.
also you have sidestepped my earlier questions about the illogicity of your assertions .. but i will only answer u because u r a guy i respect and proceed along your line of questioning
I do speak the language; i wear clothing on weekends.

Next

Ok apologies for the misinterpretation of your sentiments. I thought I had already addressed your question though, unless you also want me to go ahead and answer the questions you addressed to AfricanApple?
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 8:42pm On Jul 09, 2014
Fulaman198:

Ok apologies for the misinterpretation of your sentiments. I thought I had already addressed your question though, unless you also want me to go ahead and answer the questions you addressed to AfricanApple?

this is what i would like - a discourse of issues
be a facilitator.. that way we all learn from each other
please do answer d questions..thanks
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by fulanigirl(f): 9:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
These attacks on women and abandoning their cultures is getting old. I am proud of my culture and I don't need anyone else's approval. My dad is Fulani but I dong speak any Fulani. He grew up around Hausa people and that's the language he was brought up to speak. Please explain to me why that makes him any less of a Fulani man? As a Fulani person I'm expected to like fura and nono but I hate it. Do you think that makes me any less of a fulani person?

My mum is Hausa but my Hausa is terrible and I don't always speak it. However I do read the Hausa books really well. However my cousins whose Hausa is perfect do everything to represent their culture but yet they can't read it. Which one of us abandoned our culture here?

I have my traditional Hausa clothes but I only wear it on special occasions because I think It makes me look really good. I guess I am abandoning my culture?

So if a woman chooses to have a white wedding, how does that affect you in any way? Each to their own!!

So you are choosing these things to define me? Don't you think that's kinda shallow? I am only proud of my culture based on clothing, language and the type of music I listen to?

You are who you are regardless of anything. I will always be Fulani and Hausa regardless of what you find to be acceptable and I am damn well proud of it

4 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by bigfrancis21: 11:04pm On Jul 09, 2014
Yes I still do. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by fightforchange1(f): 3:52am On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

That's only a few who are not white-washed/Westernised. I am not Westernised. If they had their way, I'm sure a lot of Nigerians here would want me to put my signature in English, not going to happen.
;DLol
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by fightforchange1(f): 3:53am On Jul 10, 2014
fightforchange1:
;DLol

I agree.with you....I think you should always.remember who u are...don't let.the world of whiteness.change u.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Smartsyn(m): 5:13am On Jul 10, 2014
Some still do ofcourse...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals / Abeg Who Can Teach Me Ekiti? / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.