Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

We Won’t Ban Tobacco Smoking, Says House Of Rep - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Won’t Ban Tobacco Smoking, Says House Of Rep (574 Views)

We Won’t Allow PDP Senators To Disqualify Ministerial Nominees - APC Senators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

We Won’t Ban Tobacco Smoking, Says House Of Rep by DonColz1(m): 1:10am On Jul 17, 2014
The House of Representatives said on Wednesday that it would not place a ban on smoking of tobacco in the country by law, but was seeking to regulate its production, packaging and mode of promotion.
The clarification came from the Joint House Committee on Health/Justice as it opened a public hearing on 11 health-related bills, including the tobacco smoking bill in Abuja.
The Lead Chairman of the committee and Peoples Democratic Party lawmaker from Delta State, Mr. Ndudi Elumelu, told stakeholders at the session that the clarification became necessary because of speculation making the rounds that the House was about to place a total ban on tobacco smoking.
Elumelu explained, “The major aim of this bill is to provide a legal framework for the control of the production, manufacture, sale, labeling, advertising, promotion, sponsorship, use of tobacco products and exposure to tobacco smoke in order to promote the health of the individual.”
The title of the bill is, “Bill for an Act to Enact the Tobacco Smoking (Control) Bill to among other things Provide for the Regulation of the Production, Importation, Advertising, Promotion, Sponsorship, Distribution, Sale and Designation of Areas where Tobacco Products may and may not be smoked and for Matters Connected therewith, 2013.”
http://www.punchng.com/news/we-wont-ban-tobacco-smoking-say-reps/
Re: We Won’t Ban Tobacco Smoking, Says House Of Rep by Nobody: 1:24am On Jul 17, 2014
is it not obvious these guys smoke? or then tell me why billionaires would be fighting like tout
Re: We Won’t Ban Tobacco Smoking, Says House Of Rep by uboma(m): 6:36am On Jul 17, 2014
^^^ even if there aren't smokers, trust me when I say that their palms have been greased by the Tobacco companies.

I had to conclude thus because I see no justifiable reason(s) why our Law Makers should turn down the idea of banning smoking in public places when even some developed countries have already adopted such law. Let's see how they intend to regulate the production of cigarettes.

(1) (Reply)

Bill Clinton's Visit To Bayelsa State: A Blessing Or Curse? / Boko Haram Attacks Borno, Not Less Than 60 Killed / Uyo Residents Groan Under Bad Roads, Flood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.