Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,197 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress (15293 Views)

6 Keys to Success in Setting Up Your Small Business / Prospects And Challenges Of Starting Up E-currency Exchange Site. / How I Am Earning $30 Daily Using Paidverts(step By Step Guide) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by kingofmoney: 12:34am On Jul 29, 2014
Between 1.8.2 and 1.8.3 which one do I install? I use Vista windows
Thanks
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by ayurdavid: 6:57am On Jul 29, 2014
God bless you for this tutorial, for empowering others.
I want to build a website for my secondary school. Hope wordpress can do this. the site should be able to accept filling/submission of forms & students chat area. thanks.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 7:22am On Jul 29, 2014
kingofmoney: Between 1.8.2 and 1.8.3 which one do I install? I use Vista windows
Thanks

I'll advise going for 1.8.3, PHP on it is a newer version and other components of it have also being updated.

Besides, some issues present in 1.8.2 have being resolved in 1.8.3
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 7:25am On Jul 29, 2014
ayurdavid: God bless you for this tutorial, for empowering others.
I want to build a website for my secondary school. Hope wordpress can do this. the site should be able to accept filling/submission of forms & students chat area. thanks.

Thanks. Wordpress should do it.

For a school website, it depends on the features you want. Wordpress has plugins that are designed to handle school administration. There are even plugins that will handle most features of a Learning Management System (LMS), some are free but the ones with full features are paid for.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by marv1: 8:19am On Jul 29, 2014
Am following bro... With customised plugins in wordpress how does html, css coming here .thanks.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by kingofmoney: 8:41am On Jul 29, 2014
@genny2kuk
chairman, I have already installed 1.8.2 successful. Should I uninstall and install 1.8.3 or continue with 1.8.2?
Thanks
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 8:44am On Jul 29, 2014
marv1: Am following bro... With customised plugins in wordpress how does html, css coming here .thanks.

Knowledge of HTML and CSS are essential for customizing your theme. Though most themes allow you to modify background image, header image, background colour, and some other features. There are limitations in the extent you are allowed to make changes from the Wordpress admin panel.

However, with HTML, CSS knowledge, you can make the theme "your own". This allows you to modify almost anything about the theme.

For plugins, you require PHP knowledge to modify. But this is not advisable, if you find that there are issues with a plugin, you should contact it's designer. Modifying a plugin would most certainly lead to problems in its functionality.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 9:01am On Jul 29, 2014
WordPress plugin

As earlier stated, WordPress has an architecture that supports extension of the core application. These extensions comprise mainly of themes and plugins. There are tens of thousand of these add-on, and virtually every feature you would need has being created in a plugin.

Those with the skill can create their own plugins if they don't find any that fits their specific needs.

Wordpress plugins are scripts (light software applications) designed to add functionality (features) to your website. Features like Google map, contact form, anti-spam, mobile web, E-commerce etc can be added to any WordPress site by simply installing the plugin.

Some plugins require other plugins before they can function properly, while others are standalone. Plugins also come in free, trial, and paid versions. You always get the most features from the paid versions.

Aside of the version of the Wordpress installed, what truly differentiates on site from the other are the plugins installed.

For our E-commerce website, the plugins used are listed below (note that you are at liberty to add any other plugin you feel would be beneficial for)

1. Woocommerce - It's an open source (free) plugin that gives E-commerce functionality to your WordPress site. It's one of the most used E-commerce plugins, with lots of other plugins built to work with it. The great thing about woocommerce is that it gives you enterprise-level features, a very powerful tool in your hands.

Whether you're operating a superstore selling thousands of products, or a just a sole trader selling hand made arts and crafts WooCommerce has you covered. You can read all about WooCommerce' features on the WooCommerce website.

Payment Gateways and Shipping Methods are important to any store - WooCommerce comes bundled with several popular options including PayPal Standard (for accepting Credit Card and PayPal account payments), BACS, Cash on Delivery, flat rate shipping, and free shipping.

Free Extensions

WordPress.org is home to many cool free extensions for WooCommerce made by other developers including the Admin Bar Addition, Delivery Notes, Affiliates Integration Light, Custom Product Tabs Lite, and the WooCommerce Customizer.

Search WordPress.org for WooCommerce to see everything that is available.

Woocommerce also has lots of premium extensions that adds specific features. You can get the list of them on their website http://www.woothemes.com/woocommerce/

2 Likes

Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2014
2. Woocommerce Nigeria States. This is a Nigerian State/County plugin for Woocommerce. It adds Nigeria postal states to WooCommerce's list of states.

Automatic Installation

- Login to your WordPress Admin area
- Go to "Plugins > Add New" from the left hand menu
- In the search box type "Woocommerce Nigeria State"
- From the search result you will see "Woocommerce Nigeria States" click on "Install Now" to install the plugin
- A popup window will ask you to confirm your wish to install the Plugin.

Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by adebasket97: 5:44pm On Jul 29, 2014
Bumper to Bumper..really love this...goodwork man
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by MrStrategy(m): 4:00am On Jul 30, 2014
Wow.
This is indeed a great tutorial.
I have never commented on a post for nearly two years but I had to login now just to send you this comment and follow the thread.
This is Awesome! Keep it up.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 8:59am On Jul 30, 2014
MrStrategy: Wow.
This is indeed a great tutorial.
I have never commented on a post for nearly two years but I had to login now just to send you this comment and follow the thread.
This is Awesome! Keep it up.

Thanks @adebasket97, MrStrategy
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 11:32am On Jul 30, 2014
3. Woocommerce All Currencies. This plugin extends the WooCommerce e-commerce plugin by adding all world currencies. With this, it becomes easier to denominate the prices using Naira (NGN)

Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 12:01pm On Jul 30, 2014
4. Voguepay Woocommerce Payment Gateway. Voguepay is a Nigerian Payment Gateway. You must have registered on voguepay website, preferrably a business account. This payment gateway makes it possible to receive payment form Visa, Mastercard on your website.

Before you start accepting payment on your site, login to your Voguepay Account go to Account Preferences then API Settings, then set Enable notification API and Send Transaction ID to Success and Failure Return URL to Yes. Then click on Save Changes for the changes to be effected. It is very important that you do this before you start accepting payment on your site.

I recommend using Voguepay cause it cost almost nothing to have a running account. If you open a business account, you only pay N1,000 for verification and your account becomes active.

Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 12:21pm On Jul 30, 2014
5. Interswitch Webpay Woocommerce Payment Gateway. This is a Interswitch Webpay payment gateway for Woocommerce. To signup for Interswitch Webpay visit their website.

Interswitch Webpay Woocommerce Payment Gateway allows you to accept payment on your Woocommerce store using Nigeria issued Visa Card, Mastercard and Verve Cards.

With this Interswitch Webpay Woocommerce Payment Gateway plugin, you will be able to accept the following payment methods in your shop:

- MasterCards
- Visa Card
- Verve Cards

This plugin is meant to be used by merchants in Nigeria.

Plugin Features

- Accept payment via Verve Cards, Visa Cards and Mastercard.
- Seamless integration into the WooCommerce checkout page.
- Add Naira currency symbol. To select it go to go to WooCommerce > Settings from the left hand menu, then click General from the top tab. From Currency select Naira, then click on Save Changes for your changes to be effected.

Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by prudentheart(f): 1:45am On Aug 01, 2014
What a great information you're Dishing out here. Also as a Developer i think you Will have my Support on this Most Especially in the Security Aspect of Wordpress.
Keep the Good Work bro...!
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by kingofmoney: 4:20am On Aug 01, 2014
Designing this: http://fairylandmag.com/, now after stumbling on this class. Is the template I chose ok. How do I remove "Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Expound by Konstantin Kovshenin" at the footer. Anyone with answer please?
Thanks
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 9:21am On Aug 01, 2014
kingofmoney: Designing this: http://fairylandmag.com/, now after stumbling on this class. Is the template I chose ok. How do I remove "Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Expound by Konstantin Kovshenin" at the footer. Anyone with answer please?
Thanks

Removing the Footer credits require you to edit the php files directly, so you have to be careful cause any mistake will result in problem with the theme.

When logged in as the admin, from your dashboard, Click on "Appearance" and then "Editor". This will bring the page that contains the codes for your current theme.

On your right hand side, Click on the link "Footer", this will load the the file footer.php

On the 13th line of code, " <?php do_action( 'expound_credits' ); ?> "

Just add "<!--" and "-->" respectively to the beginning and end of the code.

So it becomes

<!-- <?php do_action( 'expound_credits' ); ?> -->

Once you've done that. click on the button below "Update File" and the changes will be made.

The characters you added at the beginning and end of the code turns the code into a comment and therefore will not be displayed by any browser.

Note. Please do not make any other changes to the code except you know what you're doing.

1 Like

Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by kingofmoney: 9:51am On Aug 01, 2014
My lecturer you rock, it has disappeared. Thanks a lot. In some forums I'm seeing child themes-"you have to create child themes other if word press updated you will loose changes" I don't understand. Does it apply to my case? If so how do I go about it?
God bless
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 10:20am On Aug 01, 2014
kingofmoney: My lecturer you rock, it has disappeared. Thanks a lot. In some forums I'm seeing child themes-"you have to create child themes other if word press updated you will loose changes" I don't understand. Does it apply to my case? If so how do I go about it?
God bless

Wordpress plugins and themes are updated from time to time. These updates are usually meant to fix issues with codes.

If a theme is updated, it's usually that part of the theme that has a problem, the theme codes are completely changed when there are upgrades. In your case even if there is an update, the change you made is most likely to remain. If the update reverts your change, you can do it again.

There are some themes that allow you to remove the footer credits without having to go through the code editor, if you can find them it would be a lot easier for you.

About child themes, some CMS allow you to create child theme (theme that inherit the functionality from a mother theme but allow you to make changes that will not affect the mother theme). That way, even if there are updates or upgrades, your customized child theme will still retain the changes that you made.

But then, the choice is yours.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 12:01pm On Aug 06, 2014
If you've followed through on the plugins installation steps, you have an E-commerce with basic features set up. You can add other plugins you choose to.

Next I'll be looking at setting up your Wordpress installation on an online web server (most likely using one of the available web hosting coys).

You need to have a domain name registered, as well as web hosting for the website. Make sure the hosting coy provides you with cpanel. It makes Wordpress and other CMS installation seamless and much easier.

1 Like

Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by udokpuenyi(m): 4:13pm On Aug 06, 2014
genny2kuk: 5. Interswitch Webpay Woocommerce Payment Gateway. This is a Interswitch Webpay payment gateway for Woocommerce. To signup for Interswitch Webpay visit their website.

Interswitch Webpay Woocommerce Payment Gateway allows you to accept payment on your Woocommerce store using Nigeria issued Visa Card, Mastercard and Verve Cards.

With this Interswitch Webpay Woocommerce Payment Gateway plugin, you will be able to accept the following payment methods in your shop:

- MasterCards
- Visa Card
- Verve Cards

This plugin is meant to be used by merchants in Nigeria.

Plugin Features

- Accept payment via Verve Cards, Visa Cards and Mastercard.
- Seamless integration into the WooCommerce checkout page.
- Add Naira currency symbol. To select it go to go to WooCommerce > Settings from the left hand menu, then click General from the top tab. From Currency select Naira, then click on Save Changes for your changes to be effected.

@op, Thanks for taking your time putting up this information, God will reward you.

Note: Payment method is the major stumbling block for any e-commerce venture.
Before ever you invest your time and energy in ecommerce, please try and get it sorted out first
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by lifestyle1(m): 8:33am On Aug 09, 2014
genny2kuk: If you've followed through on the plugins installation steps, you have an E-commerce with basic features set up. You can add other plugins you choose to.

Next I'll be looking at setting up your Wordpress installation on an online web server (most likely using one of the available web hosting coys).

You need to have a domain name registered, as well as web hosting for the website. Make sure the hosting coy provides you with cpanel. It makes Wordpress and other CMS installation seamless and much easier.

Great info, what if i want you to do all these for me, how much will you charge me ?
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 4:52pm On Aug 10, 2014
lifestyle1:

Great info, what if i want you to do all these for me, how much will you charge me ?

Your domain name registration, basic SSL, web hosting and design would cost from N50k (this excludes cost of payment processor which will cost you N1,000 for a business account using VoguePay and N150,000 using Interswitch).

But this pricing is nothing compared to what it will cost you in terms of administration, if this job is contracted out. That's the essence of this thread, so that virtually "anyone" can get his/her E-commerce going with very minimal cost. And also manage the site themselves
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by lifestyle1(m): 5:06pm On Aug 10, 2014
genny2kuk:

Your domain name registration, basic SSL, web hosting and design would cost from N50k (this excludes cost of payment processor which will cost you N1,000 for a business account using VoguePay and N150,000 using Interswitch).

But this pricing is nothing compared to what it will cost you in terms of administration, if this job is contracted out. That's the essence of this thread, so that virtually "anyone" can get his/her E-commerce going with very minimal cost. And also manage the site themselves

Exclude the cost of domain and hosting, how much will you do it and as for administration, i will handle that my self. I think I will settle for voguepay, already registered with them through your tutorial here. Can you inbox me samples of your past work ?

PS: It's going to be a small project maybe with 50 items to be listed and just few categories then can expand later.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 6:26pm On Aug 10, 2014
lifestyle1:

Exclude the cost of domain and hosting, how much will you do it and as for administration, i will handle that my self. I think I will settle for voguepay, already registered with them through your tutorial here. Can you inbox me samples of your past work ?

PS: It's going to be a small project maybe with 50 items to be listed and just few categories then can expand later.

That should cost N40k.

Here's a sample Wordpress E-commerce website for digital goods

https://www.hundrednaira.com/
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 6:45pm On Aug 10, 2014
@lifestyle1, email has being sent to your box as requested
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 7:40pm On Aug 11, 2014
After paying for your domain and hosting, you can login to your cPanel by typing www.yourdomain.com/cpanel. Replace "yourdomain" with the domain name you registered with.

Your web host will have provided you with a Username and password for your cpanel login. Once logged in, depending on the version of cpanel you're using, you either launch Softaculous under Software/Services section, or launch Wordpress under Softaculous App Installer.

From there it is quite explanatory to instal Wordpress. Click on Install, and you're provided with set up configuration. If you're using SSL, Under Choose Protocol, select either https:// or https://www. For the option of In Directory, delete the wp there and leave blank. Choose your Site Name, Site Description, Admin Username and Admin Password. You can always change them later.

Click on the Install button below and your Wordpress site will be installed in less than two minutes.

You're up and running and ready to go.

The next step is to install your plugins, and a new theme that you choose. The plugins installation follow the same steps as outlined when installing on a XAMPP server. The only difference between the two Wordpress installations is that one runs on a local computer, and the other runs on a web server on the internet.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by kingofmoney: 3:35am On Aug 12, 2014
Pls how do I rearrange my pages in http://fairylandmag.com/:
Home
About Us
Children’s World
Contact Us
Events
Healthy Dose
Life and Love
Style and Beauty
Woman’s Angle:
About Us
Children’s World
Contact Us
Events
Healthy Dose
Life and Love
Style and Beauty
Woman’s Angle

Like e.g bringing About Us to the last below woman's Angle etc, just where I want any to be. They arranged themselves alphabetically. In blogger you can move them about
Thanks
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by genny2kuk(m): 8:35am On Aug 12, 2014
kingofmoney: Pls how do I rearrange my pages in http://fairylandmag.com/:
Home
About Us
Children’s World
Contact Us
Events
Healthy Dose
Life and Love
Style and Beauty
Woman’s Angle:
About Us
Children’s World
Contact Us
Events
Healthy Dose
Life and Love
Style and Beauty
Woman’s Angle

Like e.g bringing About Us to the last below woman's Angle etc, just where I want any to be. They arranged themselves alphabetically. In blogger you can move them about
Thanks

Log into the Admin, from your Dashboard, click on Pages and all pages created on your site will be displayed.

When you mouse over any of the pages, you are presented with options, click on Quick Edit and you see an expanded edit options. To reorder your pages, you need to edit the value in the Order option. The way Order works is that pages are arranged in order from lower numbers to higher numbers. A page with Order 1 will appear on your Menu before a page with Order 2. A page with Order 2 will appear before a page with Order 4.

Changing the Order value to organize the pages should enable you arrange them appropriately. This should resolve it.
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by kingofmoney: 11:56pm On Aug 12, 2014
Thanks a lot. I got it
Re: Step-by-step Guide On Setting Up E-commerce Website Using Wordpress by kingofmoney: 11:45am On Aug 13, 2014
It's great learning here. That's why I decided to use a site for the lectures. My lecturer is a great guy. I'm picking a lot

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rivers Overtakes Lagos As Top Investment Destination / Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament / Easiest Way To Send Money From Algeria To Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.