Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,338 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament (15293 Views)

Naira Crisis: Banks Fear Heighten As Customers Shun Cash Deposit / First Bank Branches Nationwide Will Open Saturday & Sunday To Receive Old Notes / Banks To Rationalise Staff, Branches As Costs Mount (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by IamHeWrites: 7:26am On Jul 23, 2019
Scores of customers of Polaris Bank in Osogbo, the state capital of Osun, on Monday lamented the ugly experience they had as men of Nigeria Police Force (NFP) closed all the branches of the commercial bank in the state capital following a court order, Igbere TV reports.

According to Igbere TV correspondent in Osun state, Ayobami Sodiq, who visited the three branches ((Fagbewesa, Alekuwodo and Gbongan Road) of the bank in Osogbo on Monday one after the other, customers were seeing hanging around the areas of the branches as they were denied access into the bank. Only the Automated Teller Machines (ATM) were working.

The three branches of the bank within the metropolis did not open for business.

The ugly development left many of the customers stranded especially some retirees who were in the bank to access their account, most of them who doesn’t have a debit card expressed worry over the event while some others who wanted to send money to another branch outside the state capital were helpless.

One of the customers that spoke with Igbere TV, Mr Babatunde Samuel, said that they were locked up in the bank initially for three hours before being sent out without any opportunity to do any transaction.

While expressing his agony, he said, “As it is now, I am extremely stranded. I came from Offa, Kwara State with the hope of withdrawing money. I don’t have up to a litre of Petrol in my car and I don’t know how I am going to leave Osogbo at the moment because their ATM is not also dispensing”

Effort to get the reaction of the police officers who came to effect the order was unsuccessful.

However, Igbere TV, contacted a senior staff of the bank outside the state, who under anonymity gave full insight into the issue.

He said, “On the 12th of July 2019, the Osun state High Court, Ikire judicial Division made an order absolute against the Bank in respect of the account of Gabriel Omeka Omeka (the customer). The money being claims be in the customer’s account against which the court made the garnishee order is a purported balance of $1.1m US Dollars. The judgment being enforced through the garnishee proceeding is not a judgment against the Bank as the Bank does not have any relationship with any of the primary parties in the matter. The customer whose account is being garnisheed is a co-garnishee in the matter and not a judgment debtor”

“The judgment debtor in the matter does not have any account with the bank. The purported balance in the account of the customer which the court attached in the garnishee proceeding and directed the bank to pay within 3 days arose when there was a cyber-attack on the bank’s system and some fraudsters hacked into the bank system and inflated balances of certain accounts of which the account in question is one”

“When the order nisi was served on the Bank, we disclosed to the court that the customer account was used to perpetrate fraud against the bank and this fraud led to the inflated balance of $1.1m which the Bank has reported to the Police and same is under investigation. We informed the court and exhibited documents that such balances do not exist as the customer never made such deposits with the Bank and that the balance in the customer’s account are not bad by any underlying transaction. Despite this, the Court went ahead and made the order absolute against the Bank. Immediately the order was made absolute against the bank, we filed a notice of appeal and application for an injunction against the order and same was served. But despite this, the court levied execution against the Bank today while our application is still pending”

While reacting to the issue, the Public Relations Officer of Osun State Police Command, Mrs. Folashade Odoro, said since it is a court order, it is the duty of the police to ensure that the order is enforced with it.

Source; http://igberetvnews.com/838618/customers-lament-as-court-shuts-polaris-bank-branches-in-osun/

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by thesicilian: 7:55am On Jul 23, 2019
From the write up it seems the judge has a bias against the bank, though one needs to hear from the other party also.

8 Likes

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by izzou(m): 10:55am On Jul 23, 2019
grin

That bank has always shown signs of unseriousness right from their early days

2 Likes

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Nobody: 10:56am On Jul 23, 2019
i am getting old

aunty pocohantas, can you translate please

1 Like

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by queenxey1(f): 10:56am On Jul 23, 2019
My boyfriend caught me kissing his friend so he went inside too boil hot water, I guess he wants too make EBA for us�

7 Likes

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Hakeem12(m): 10:57am On Jul 23, 2019
Wonder why these banks keep getting hacked easily
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by DBossNG(m): 10:57am On Jul 23, 2019
Has that ever been a bank?

1 Like

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Nyamiri: 10:57am On Jul 23, 2019
queenxey1:
My boyfriend caught me kissing his friend so he went inside too boil hot water, I guess he wants too make EBA for us�

No, he wants to mix cement and fill the space in between your teeth.

2 Likes

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Jasen1(m): 10:57am On Jul 23, 2019
They should withdraw from another ATM
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by mknigeriagreat: 10:57am On Jul 23, 2019
They have never performed well in Osun self.
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Jasen1(m): 10:58am On Jul 23, 2019
queenxey1:

You still de Bleep around after that guy dumped you

1 Like

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Amuocha: 10:58am On Jul 23, 2019
Corruption is fighting back grin
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by nams77: 10:58am On Jul 23, 2019
thesicilian:
From the write up it seems the judge has a bias against the bank, though one needs to hear from the other party also.
I concur. If what the bank posit is true, then the said customer has no case. If you can't show proof of payment( statement/transfer) of how the sum of 1.1 million dollars came into your account, then you have no locus standi

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Lamasta(m): 10:58am On Jul 23, 2019
The bank itself has been POLARISED grin

4 Likes

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Ezedon(m): 10:58am On Jul 23, 2019
Im afraid of this bank
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by niyisky: 10:59am On Jul 23, 2019
Which one be Garnishee biko? Enter here if you don't understand

5 Likes

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Nobody: 10:59am On Jul 23, 2019
The name of that bank ge grin ;Dt as it bi grin
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by Kendumazy(m): 10:59am On Jul 23, 2019
This is bad.

Quality UK 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade men's shirts available for sale.
Check link https://www.nairaland.com/5272537/1st-grade-2nd-
grade-3rd
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by pojophilius(m): 11:01am On Jul 23, 2019
scammed

5 Likes

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by STANDUPOVATION7: 11:02am On Jul 23, 2019
Customers should be Calm,the bank will not shutdown without a reason.and I am sure that they are working on whatever reason they have.
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by LowerPriceData0(m): 11:02am On Jul 23, 2019
NDIC should come and settle this matter
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by yomalex(m): 11:08am On Jul 23, 2019
Chai
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by AUTOCRATIC(m): 11:32am On Jul 23, 2019
Which kind question be this? Na just to gather prayer warriors to do the needful
pojophilius:
scammed
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by makavele: 11:36am On Jul 23, 2019
niyisky:
Which one be Garnishee biko? Enter here if you don't understand

if u owe me money and have refused to pay or something, i can place a garnishee order on your bank;
the bank freezes your account, withdraw my full payment and give it to me

or i can send one to your place of work . . in this case, your employer will redirect your salary to me
until i have been paid completely.

that is the high level summary of what it is.

8 Likes

Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by 3rdavefarms(m): 11:37am On Jul 23, 2019
Another baba tuns re oo
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by roqrules04(m): 11:54am On Jul 23, 2019
But if it's an Ilegal money, the customer obviously won't take the bank to court na
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by ridbell01(m): 12:20pm On Jul 23, 2019
Thank God those banks have insiders to the members of the public fall victim this time.. Awon oloriburuku
Re: Court Shuts Osun Polaris Bank Branches As Customers Lament by wakes: 4:18pm On Jul 23, 2019
Pah

(1) (Reply)

10 Work From Home Online Jobs In Nigeria / Steps To Become Your Own Boss And Control Your Finances / Grasshopper Business In Nigeria: Unconventional Yet Promising Venture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.