Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,818 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria (6701 Views)

Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria / 10 Courses You Are Likely To Find Geniuses / Six Hardest Courses To Study In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 18, 2014
Caveat: This is not based on hard data but on observations. It is compiled by JarusHub editor and 2 other contributors to this portal. Note also that this is not based on who earns the highest salary, but who has potential to earn decent income with his degree. Potential is the operative word here.

Here we go:

10. Mass Communication/Journalism: Mass Communication will remain a marketable because not many Universities do it, but many institutions need it. The downside is, journalism is not seen as exclusive preserve of MassComm graduates, as graduates of almost any course are recruited by news outfits. Yet, the course still stands a decent chance.

9. Law: Maybe the supply is fast outstripping demand and affecting pricing, Law has declined in economic value. However, it remains a Top 10 course. Whether you decide to practice or go into corporate world, or you decide to go into allied things like real estate agency, you still stand a decent chance of earning decent income with a Law degree.

8. Nursing/Laboratory Science: Nurses don’t earn mouth-watering pay, but they are hardly jobless. I see Nurses change jobs like clothes. Hospitals and clinics – private and public – are springing up everyday, and a medium size clinic needs at least 4 Nurses. Some may have as much as 20. Same goes with Lab scientists, although in lower demand.

7. Mechanical, Electrical & other related Engineering courses: Engineering courses generally sell in the oil and gas industry. In addition these courses are also asked for in other major industries.

6. Economics/Accounting/Finance: The good thing about Economics is that it fits into many roles. I hesitated to include Accounting here because Accounting degree alone without professional qualifications is not usually so helpful; however, I included it because I expect the accounting graduate to do the needful of writing professional examinations after his degree. Even without professional qualifications, you can still get a decent job with Accounting degree only in the many small to medium scale firms that require the services of accounting graduates. Finance is another great course. The three courses, sometimes alongside Management and Business Administration, are usually in hot demand, although supply still exceed demand and many graduates of these courses are still jobless.

5. Computer Science/Computer Engineering/IT courses: IT professionals are in hot demand the world over. Nigeria is not different. With special IT skills, your chance is even brighter. The downside is, anybody can learn IT skills, even if he doesn’t study computer engineering.

4. Geology: It is also a course that places you in good position to penetrate the much-sought-after oil industry.

3. Chemical/Petroleum Engineering: These courses have the potential to fetch you the fattest pay check after graduation because the companies that ask for them are those that pay heavily – the oil companies.

2. Estate Management/Architecture/Building/Survey/Civil Engineering: A degree in any of these courses places you in a good position for self-employment. Even from school, Architecture students make money drawing plans for people. We consider these courses the second most marketable courses in Nigeria.

1. Medicine: Medicine may not earn you N500k per month at entry level, but it is the course that guarantees you job the most. I have never come across a jobless medical doctor. The pay may not be as heavy as the Chemical engineering guy in the IOC, but you are guaranteed of better-than-average income as a doctor. Medicine is number 1 on our list.

Most importantly, I share the opinion of this gentleman that it is you, and hardly your course of study, that matters in marketing yourself.
http://www.jarushub.com/10-most-marketable-courses-in-nigeria/

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Chasicolis(f): 6:20pm On Jul 18, 2014
space booked....
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by theplanmaker: 6:33pm On Jul 18, 2014
hmmm you forgot about the pharmacists? I think there are generally better oportunities for hospital proffesionals
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by padeolu: 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2014
WBT Geography/ Environmental science?

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by jericco1(m): 7:02pm On Jul 18, 2014
Theatre Arts nko
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jul 18, 2014
What is Geology doing there

Keep deceiving yourself. undecided I agree that Geology is a nice course but I doubt if it has a high chance of employment in Nigeria.

OP, Your list is whack without the Men of hounour. undecided undecided
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Danhumprey: 7:36pm On Jul 18, 2014
Economics all the way!cool
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by constance500: 7:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
And business administration and management isn't there... Op are you high undecided

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by maestroferddi: 8:25pm On Jul 18, 2014
Do you have experience in the labour market or are you just listing course that catch your fancy? Geology in Nigeria? You joking...
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by hebex12(m): 8:28pm On Jul 18, 2014
Since estate management dey include me no fit fight
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by missdebs(f): 9:06pm On Jul 18, 2014
liezzz
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by krazydave(m): 9:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
Some Nigerians ehh!!...
Just 'cos the course you managed to study wasn't short-listed doesn't make the list whack na!

#Any ways OP ur lucky you put civil engineering shaa!... If nt this list would have really been whack! gringrin

12 Likes

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by chidi2pus(m): 9:40pm On Jul 18, 2014
FrancisTony: What is Geology doing there

Keep deceiving yourself. undecided I agree that Geology is a nice course but I doubt if it has a high chance of employment in Nigeria.

OP, Your list is whack without the Men of hounour. undecided undecided

It's like you don't even know the meaning of geology and the relevance of its labor quota to the Nigerian economy.
Kindly do more research before posting next time

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by damoskiy(m): 9:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
It would have been nice if the OP included any course on agric.science.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Lero15(m): 9:51pm On Jul 18, 2014
Me rep civil
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by emedy(m): 10:14pm On Jul 18, 2014
Pharmacy should b first on dt List.
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 18, 2014
wtf where is my course Archictecture

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jul 18, 2014
all i see here is some science peeps feeling superior smhw...

this is too one sided ..besides i dnt think med is that fancy nor law but i agree with the others...
linguistic should be there... sounds strange but has wide employment range plus good pay
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by jaryeh(m): 5:00am On Jul 19, 2014
Everyone feels their course should be on the list. grin grin grin
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Lero15(m): 5:00am On Jul 19, 2014
vicdayo: wtf where is my course Archictecture
well...I can only see "Architecture". Wc one be "arCHICtecture" ooo? Probably that's a new course that deals in CHICS planning & design...
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by alotofgrace(m): 7:20am On Jul 19, 2014
that's y there remain massive joblessness in those fields.....and those who studied history, french, diplomacy....are getting the jobs undecided
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 19, 2014
alotofgrace: that's y there remain massive joblessness in those fields.....and those who studied history, french, diplomacy....are getting the jobs undecided

I am not sure you understood what OP is saying. cry

He listed course(s) that has a higher chance of employment not 'most sought after'. Smh. undecided
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by alotofgrace(m): 7:27am On Jul 19, 2014
FrancisTony:

I am not sure you understood what OP is saying. cry

Helisted course(s) that has a higher chance of employment not 'most sought after'. Smh. undecided

same thing bro
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by rattlesnake(m): 7:45am On Jul 19, 2014
The best course is electrical
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Freeopod(m): 7:53am On Jul 19, 2014
With the current issues in Nigeria, peace and conflict studies should be on your list

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 19, 2014
Lero15: well...I can only see "Architecture". Wc one be "arCHICtecture" ooo? Probably that's a new course that deals in CHICS planning & design...
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Generalkorex(m): 8:44am On Jul 19, 2014
Lero15: well...I can only see "Architecture". Wc one be "arCHICtecture" ooo? Probably that's a new course that deals in CHICS planning & design...
lol
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by wheesin(m): 8:54am On Jul 19, 2014
what of wizkid...i mean music..
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Aphex(m): 9:40am On Jul 19, 2014
0.9 MEDICINE AND SURGERY
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 19, 2014
ur slowpoke presido, GEG, wil soon introduce Farming as a Course
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Lero15(m): 9:48am On Jul 19, 2014
Generalkorex:
lol
Re: Top 10 Courses To Study In Nigeria by Samgreguc(m): 10:03am On Jul 19, 2014
Ok.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All Students Of Animal And Environmental Biology(aeb). / NITDA Awards Scholarship To 92 Nigerian Postgraduate Students For 2017/18 / Smellinganus, A Nairalander Graduated With A Masters Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.