Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,500 members, 7,836,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. (1777 Views)

See How Buhari Was Received In Sudan On His Way To Nigeria From India(photos) / I Love Nigeria But I Feel Pain When Other Nigerians Say Igbo Will Not Rule / Navy Warship Arrives Nigeria From China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by londoner: 10:52am On Jul 19, 2014
padeolu: You are right about that bro, but GEJ made it worse. Our suffering was bearable before he became president.

Would you mind explaining in what sense it has gotten worse, with specific links to GEJ?

I'm a sis by the way.
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by padeolu: 11:41am On Jul 19, 2014
londoner:

Would you mind explaining in what sense it has gotten worse, with specific links to GEJ?

I'm a sis by the way.
How about you start with a list of what he has done (or done different) to warrant a positive change?
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by macof(m): 12:44pm On Jul 19, 2014
londoner:

Not true, at all.................

Prove me wrong then..

Bare in mind that the OP has only visited yorubaland..his opinion is based on what he had experienced in Lagos and abeokuta
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by collynzo2(m): 12:55pm On Jul 19, 2014
arewafederation: Nice try Mr. Op. May America be like Nigeria...Amen.
I never thought I will ever agree with this Yoruba man, but I liked your post.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by Ghost01(m): 12:59pm On Jul 19, 2014
macof:

Prove me wrong then..

Bare in mind that the OP has only visited yorubaland..his opinion is based on what he had experienced in Lagos and abeokuta

Lagos is a Nigerian city with a Nigerian spirit.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by londoner: 2:16pm On Jul 19, 2014
padeolu: How about you start with a list of what he has done (or done different) to warrant a positive change?

I believe it was you that made the statement, obviously you know what that opinion is hinged on, or don't you?
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by londoner: 2:18pm On Jul 19, 2014
macof:

Prove me wrong then..

Oh,so someone that lives in Lagos, does not come across anybody else accept Yorubas?

Read the part about the overturned car again.
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by londoner: 2:20pm On Jul 19, 2014
Quoted from the piece.

@Macof

1-At that moment in time, there weren't any Yoruba's, Igbo's, or Hausa's. At that time, there was just simply Nigerians helping out fellow Nigerians. I believe what I saw could be incorporated into every day things not just emergencies. A society where people look to help other people. Slowly as the future generations are getting older, the cultural and religious stereotypes that people in Nigeria have been mentally enslaved to are going away.

2-The good thing about the various tribes is that they have their own take on Nigerian cuisine. And it is delicious.

3- Nigerians are excellent at using existing genre's and adding their cultural flair to add sound to the music.

4- God Bless Nigeria.

The average European is not constrained by tribal/ethnic rivalry. Its is general to Nigeria, this and more has been said by foreigners about places they have visited in all corners of Nigeria.

If any one tribe thinks they have the monopoly on positive attributes, they need travel more, or read more widely.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by snoopy(m): 2:37pm On Jul 19, 2014
front page?
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by macof(m): 3:13pm On Jul 19, 2014
londoner:

Oh,so someone that lives in Lagos, does not come across anybody else accept Yorubas?

Read the part about the overturned car again.

I go to Kaduna, I see stuff.. Who do I attribute this to
Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa

Until the OP visits every major city in every ethnic region..he doesn't know "Nigeria cultures"
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by macof(m): 3:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
Ghost01:

Lagos is a Nigerian city with a Nigerian spirit.

there's no such thing as "Nigerian" culturally or spiritually speaking.

Porto novo in Benin republic is more Yoruba than Asaba in the same Nigeria
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by macof(m): 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2014
londoner: Quoted from the piece.

@Macof

1-At that moment in time, there weren't any Yoruba's, Igbo's, or Hausa's. At that time, there was just simply Nigerians helping out fellow Nigerians. I believe what I saw could be incorporated into every day things not just emergencies. A society where people look to help other people. Slowly as the future generations are getting older, the cultural and religious stereotypes that people in Nigeria have been mentally enslaved to are going away.

2-The good thing about the various tribes is that they have their own take on Nigerian cuisine. And it is delicious.

3- Nigerians are excellent at using existing genre's and adding their cultural flair to add sound to the music.

4- God Bless Nigeria.

The average European is not constrained by tribal/ethnic rivalry. Its is general to Nigeria, this and more has been said by foreigners about places they have visited in all corners of Nigeria.

If any one tribe thinks they have the monopoly on positive attributes, they need travel more, or read more widely.

1. Where did this happen?? Yorubaland. Why didn't the OP go to Kano or calabar to see a repeat of that

2. OP mentioned Efo, is Efo a Yoruba cuisine or Ibibio??

3. Did u read "cultural flair"?? What does that mean to u? is Olamide using a Nigerian cultural flair or using a Yoruba one??
That's also to consider that there's no such thing as a "Nigerian cultural flair"

4. and that doesn't make a point
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by londoner: 3:56pm On Jul 19, 2014
macof:

I go to Kaduna, I see stuff.. Who do I attribute this to
Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa

Until the OP visits every major city in every ethnic region..he doesn't know "Nigeria cultures"

If in Kaduna you encountered these things while being in the midst of people who ar not just one ethnic group/tribe. Who would you attribute it to.

Lagos is a melting pot with many tribes. If you experience something in London, you would not simply attribute it to the English. Also if you did mean the English, that is what you would say.
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by arewafederation: 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2014
collynzo2:
I never thought I will ever agree with this Yoruba man, but I liked your post.

Stop calling me a yoruba man angry angry angry
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by londoner: 4:04pm On Jul 19, 2014
macof:

1. Where did this happen?? Yorubaland. Why didn't the OP go to Kano or calabar to see a repeat of that

And so......What does that prove? Others have gone to Calabar and other places and experienced that.

That is why I disputed the first suggestion that this was somehow peculiar to Yorubas. You can see where I stated that in my first reply. There is very little chance that you can live in Lagos and ONLY encounter Yorubas. In fact it's virtually impossible.

The issue is that people simply assume that every good thing is attributed to only their tribe, region, nationality, race and so on. Its simply not true.

2. OP mentioned Efo, is Efo a Yoruba cuisine or Ibibio??

Is Suya Yoruba? Or did you not see that he also mentioned it?

3. Did u read "cultural flair"?? What does that mean to u? is Olamide using a Nigerian cultural flair or using a Yoruba one??
That's also to consider that there's no such thing as a "Nigerian cultural flair"

Did he mention Olamide? You did, he didn't. There is such a thing as Nigerian cultural flair, if he meant just Yoruba he would have said so.

4. and that doesn't make a point

The point is that he was talking about the Nigerian nationality. That's the point. He did not tribalize it, others are seeking to.
Re: 5 Reasons To Love Nigeria From An American Perspective. by Ghost01(m): 4:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
macof:

there's no such thing as "Nigerian" culturally or spiritually speaking.

Porto novo in Benin republic is more Yoruba than Asaba in the same Nigeria

In case you haven't noticed bro, a Nigerian culture is evolving and it is very evident in our (real) cities.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Is The Most Powerful Woman In Nigeria? / After Jonathan, It Is The Igbo's Turn To Rule Nigeria. / Election Result From I-reporter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.