Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m (1446 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by chibecanglobal(m): 5:19am On Jul 19, 2014
The worldwide release of ,the screen
adaptation of Chimamanda Adichie’s
novel, Half of a Yellow Sun has
generated about N280,000,000 from
cinema release, TV sales rights,
online viewing, and in-flight viewing.
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The movie which generated a lot of
public debate after its release was
suspended by NFVCB in April will be
released across 17 Nigerian cinemas
come Friday, August 1.
The journey of Half of a yellow Sun to
the cinema has not been all rosy, as
the Nigerian Film and Video Censors
Board (NFVCB) refused to classify the
movie in a move that some people
felt was political, while NFVCB
insisted that some aspects of the
movie could incite religious unrest.
After a lot of meetings, intrigues and
public outcry which attracted
international attention, the Nigerian
Censors Board eventually classified
the movie and gave the go ahead for
a cinema release.
The movie which had been released
in the UK, USA, Australia and New
Zealand had so far generated over
N280,000,000. The amount according
to a source close to the producer,
was made from cinema release, sales
for In-flight Rights, sales for
Television Rights and Online
Viewing, totalling One million
Pounds.
www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/half-yellow-sun-gross-n280m/
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by majamajic(m): 6:02am On Jul 19, 2014
It will be the best nollywood movie of all time, I just like the way she code the movie title 'half of yellow sun'.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by johnwarax(m): 6:16am On Jul 19, 2014
That's the problem with Ñigeria Censor Board. They try to find something bad in whatever someone does. Was it not a board that censored Johnny Mad dog and other alike.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Guykhena(m): 7:16am On Jul 19, 2014
Nollywood is stepping up.....
I think this may be the 1st Nollywood movie I might actually watch...

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 19, 2014
Shame... A movie with a budget of $10 million grossed £1 million eq. $1.6 million in countries with our highest hope of targeted audience and we are here jubilating to a flop, how much do we think we are going to make in our own cinemas when the highest grossed NW own movie (IJE) isn't more than N60 million eq. $400,000, and I doubt that HOAYS will reach that amount now that the movie is being pirated everywhere in the country, I kinda don't care to watch the movie anymore 'cause I don't feel the hunger/vibe i felt earlier before its release, and that vibe were murdered by every soul that hyped the movie from the beginning and how I believe it'll turn out becomes the opposite. And I recently found out that the co-producer (a she) were also the co-producer of the Academy award winning movie titled 'last king of scotland' starring forest wittaker, with the budget of $6 million and grosses upto $48 million, we actually thought that this project is actually a big step up in NW but we were so wrong.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by VillageBoi(m): 10:29am On Jul 19, 2014
tonyayo1: Shame... And I recently found out that the co-producer (a she) were also the co-producer of the Academy award winning movie titled 'last king of scotland' starring forest wittaker, with the budget of $6 million and grosses upto $48 million, we actually thought that this project is actually a big step up in NW but we were so wrong.

As I've mentioned prior we have no idea what went on behind the scenes with the Exec Prods, Prods, Director and others. There is no way on the planet that a producer with the experience of 'Last King Of Scotland' couldn't sell this film well to the whole world. My bet is her hands were tied with our "No, no we're going to do it 'OUR' Naija way".
And as a lesson carried from other threads the remaining Dirs/Prods in Naija are all fighting for bragging rights of 'the most expesnsive film'... duh, no single Naija film should ever have a budget of more than N10m... and that is the best of the best high end films. Simple reason is we CAN'T sell jack when it comes to films. No be the same 'Ije' that took 6yrs to even make that $400k! (is that the same film that claimed a budget of $2m plus??)... smh.

5 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Jayboy124: 10:41am On Jul 19, 2014
VillageBoi:

As I've mentioned prior we have no idea what went on behind the scenes with the Exec Prods, Prods, Director and others. There is no way on the planet that a producer with the experience of 'Last King Of Scotland' couldn't sell this film well to the whole world. My bet is her hands were tied with our "No, no we're going to do it 'OUR' Naija way".
And as a lesson carried from other threads the remaining Dirs/Prods in Naija are all fighting for bragging rights of 'the most expesnsive film'... duh, no single Naija film should ever have a budget of more than N10m... and that is the best of the best high end films. Simple reason is we CAN'T sell jack when it comes to films. No be the same 'Ije' that took 6yrs to even make that $400k! (is that the same film that claimed a budget of $2m plus??)... smh.

Na same shitt I dey talk everytime. Our screens no reach 50 for the whole of Nigeria, I wonder why someone would shoot a movie with more than 10 million.

I have seen a movie with just a friend. We were the only two people in a whole cinema.

Most people now don dey run enter series but that won't really be a solution. I think our best is to make a lot more cheaper film through collaborations and all. And also make films that can make 'ti-ho' in Cannes, Sundance and the other festivals.

Or alternatively, the government should build two cinemas at least in their states. It must not be all those beautiful malls. Just a simple nice building people can go and see good quality films.

Or alternatively, have a film and fill it up with adverts like some of average (in content) but big films we have seen these few years.

But if anyone thinks the cinemas in Lagos, Abuja, Calabar and Enugu will give you enough money...

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jul 19, 2014
VillageBoi:

'My bet is her hands were tied with our "No, no we're going to do it 'OUR' Naija way".
EXACTLY!!! That's our problem, we believe we 'KNOW' every-every but truthfully, we don't know sh*t, check out football team being banned by FIFA 'cause of government interference, and that's the only sports we seems to be good at and It's about to die off 'cause of our ITK mentality, the reason why yanks win the highest Gold trophies in olympics is 'cause all their teams is being managed by private corps. Just check Mr. Murray bruce CEO of silver bird worked under NTA, but now all his establishments out best NTA's. In NW every bagger wants to be an actor, producer, writer, director, DOP, casting manager etc haba, John Woo said that it takes a whole city to make a good movie, and the annoying one is being known in the game for up ten years yet no honors is a big failure. And most annoying, Nigeria film industry and the peeps inside do not accept the title Nollywood, yorubas has theirs, same as the hausas, make a world class movie before seeking a branded title for crying out loud, my question is saying NW has stepped is it just improving in pictures quality and showing our movies in cinemas?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Bawss1(m): 5:43pm On Jul 19, 2014
majamajic: It will be the best nollywood movie of all time, I just like the way she code the movie title 'half of yellow sun'.

Half of a Yellow is not a Nollywood movie.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by VillageBoi(m): 6:10pm On Jul 19, 2014
Bawss1:
Half of a Yellow is not a Nollywood movie.
Ok it's a 'Nigerian/British' collaboration but Nollywood/Nigerian film making is of course (or should be) watching closely and learning both things to do and things NOT to do. Interesting.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Jayboy124: 11:17pm On Jul 19, 2014
VillageBoi:
Ok it's a 'Nigerian/British' collaboration but Nollywood/Nigerian film making is of course (or should be) watching closely and learning both things to do and things NOT to do. Interesting.

If we 'hapula ihe edere na motor, baye na the motor', then it's strictly a British film.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by VillageBoi(m): 1:48am On Jul 20, 2014
^^^
Teehee!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by prof800(m): 10:47am On Jul 20, 2014
^^^^^^^

I don't know what you guys are talking about but I know that "Half of a Yellow Sun IS a NIGERIAN MOVIE".
It is more Nigerian than British!

www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_of_a_Yellow_Sun_(film)

www.m.imdb.com/title/tt2215077/

Why are people surprised.? Can't a good thing come out of Nigeria?.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by VillageBoi(m): 2:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
prof800:
I don't know what you guys are talking about but I know that "Half of a Yellow Sun IS a NIGERIAN MOVIE".
Teehee, of course it's Nigerian... very Nigerian.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 3:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
We nigerians are not stupid if u track the movie from boxoffice mojo of any boxoffice site u wld see that the film has barely made $50k made from tv rights but from cinema the film is a flop period
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jul 20, 2014
Speaking of intimidation and inferiority complex.they aren't comfortable releasing the film except authorizing crappy and stoopeed movies
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Jayboy124: 6:21pm On Jul 20, 2014
prof800: ^^^^^^^

www.en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_of_a_Yellow_Sun_(film)

www.m.imdb.com/title/tt2215077/

Why are people surprised.? Can't a good thing come out of Nigeria?.

I wonder why Last King of Scotland isn't a Ugandan film but this one is.

Ije that was partly shot abroad felt like a Nigerian. HOAYS somehow doesn't.

I know officially, it is considered a Nigerian/British film but... I guess I have to see the film first.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Gross N280m by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 21, 2014
Jayboy124:

I wonder why Last King of Scotland isn't a Ugandan film but this one is.

Ije that was partly shot abroad felt like a Nigerian. HOAYS somehow doesn't.

I know officially, it is considered a Nigerian/British film but... I guess I have to see the film first.
Last king of scotland is not even close to being a ugandan movie, it's like saying phat girls or tears of the sun is a Nigerian movie, Last king of scotland do not even have a ugandan origin, the author of the novel isn't ugandan, the screenwriters, directors, executives/sponsor. The relationship uganda had with the movie, were the president's permission in giving a go ahead with the adaptation of the Novel and shooting in uganda, but HOAYS is just the opposite.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Evolution Of Black Panther / Bank Phb "the Apprentice" Register Now / Tv Programs In Nigeria - Any Recommendation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.