Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,536 members, 7,823,328 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun (24861 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Who Is To Blame For The Piracy Of Half Of A Yellow Sun? / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 11:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
Nollywood’s pride, Genevieve Nnaji may have had the privilege of working with a crop of Hollywood’s A-list actors on the set of Chimamanda Adiche’s Half of A Yellow Sun yet-to-be-released film directed by Niyi Bandele but not the pleasure of seeing her role when it comes to cinemas. Genevieve’s scenes weren’t expressly important to the story, a reliable source that has seen the movie told E24-7MAGAZINE. “I figured that because of Ms Nnaji’s way of acting, her character dragged the storyline, so it was cut out during editing. Obviously, if she was good enough like Onyeka Onwenu, she would have been given a major role in the film.

“Her minor role was compensation to Nollywood. So, the film producers might be apologetic for cutting out her parts, as she should not try to go to the cinemas to see the film with her family members, else she will give herself heartache.”

It was a very intense exercise for the post-production team; in fact, they ended up cutting out some characters from the book to beat time in order to stay focus and professional. Test audiences, we gathered did not like those scenes.

According to the source, the director realized some footage may not be needed and unfortunately many of those scenes involved the Tango with Me star actress, such that if she appears on screen at all, it will be in a significantly reduced capacity from what her role was in the script.

Yes, you may get to see her in a party scene. This development, no doubt will be shocking to her fans and observers of the industry because of her status and influence but it is a usual occurrence in other climes to cut actors out of finished films.

So NL people, what do you all think?

ARTICLE SOURCE - http://e247mag.com/genevieves-scenes-cut-out-of-chimamanda-adiches-half-of-a-yellow-sun-movies/
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by homesteady(m): 11:44pm On Jan 30, 2013
aww!!! Why genevieve Why not NL mods galfrnd Tonto Dikeh??

Am i d only one feeling bad??

3 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 11:57pm On Jan 30, 2013
homesteady: aww!!! Why genevieve Why not NL mods galfrnd Tonto Dikeh??

Am i d only one feeling bad??

You're not the only one feeling bad, I guess most people are... but who knows; this news might not be true! If it is then it's just the brutal way films are made. Minor roles can get left on the cutting-room floor.
Oh well every film is made three times - During the writing, during the shooting and during the editing.

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by sholay2011(m): 9:53am On Jan 31, 2013
Awww...this is where talent trumps stardom.

Though Genevieve has the raw talent, but I think she has been to busy with her stardom that she has not taken time to improve her acting skills.

I saw 'Mirror Boy' and her acting was a bit below par. She didn't play 'Tijan's mother' lyk I expected.

I hope she learns from this so she doesn't focus on being a movie star (since she is already one locally) but should focus on being an actress!

4 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 11:05am On Jan 31, 2013
sholay2011: Awww...this is where talent trumps stardom.

Though Genevieve has the raw talent, but I think she has been to busy with her stardom that she has not taken time to improve her acting skills.

I saw 'Mirror Boy' and her acting was a bit below par. She didn't play 'Tijan's mother' lyk I expected.

I hope she learns from this so she doesn't focus on being a movie star (since she is already one locally) but should focus on being an actress!

Remember this interview where (question 10) she says she didn't do any kind of study or research for her role as she thinks it's all about imagination?

http://www.tellng.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=365:politics?-count-me-out-genevieve-nnaji

Well that is the bulk of Nollywood actors but I don't think it is entirely their fault.

First of all there are no 'really' challenging roles/characters and they have been used to come-and-do-dialogue roles. Secondly 'Producers' do not give enough pre & production time to get the very best out of our talented actors. Thankfully a number are shifting away from the kpa, kpa, kpa method.

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Originalsly: 1:20pm On Jan 31, 2013
Doesn't make sense to me.Who would edit an A list actor out of their movie? In fact they would ratber create a role to plug in an available A list actor and even if it is for a minute or two...that actor would be hoghlighted.Even for a cameo Gene would never be cut out.On Gene being a local star...which African actress is more popular or talented than her internationally?

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Originalsly: 1:21pm On Jan 31, 2013
Doesn't make sense to me.Who would edit an A list actor out of their movie? In fact they would ratber create a role to plug in an available A list actor and even if it is for a minute or two...that actor would be highlighted.Even for a cameo Gene would never be cut out.On Gene being a local star...which African actress is more popular or talented than her internationally?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 2:02pm On Jan 31, 2013
Originalsly: Doesn't make sense to me.Who would edit an A list actor out of their movie? In fact they would ratber create a role to plug in an available A list actor and even if it is for a minute or two...that actor would be highlighted.Even for a cameo Gene would never be cut out.On Gene being a local star...which African actress is more popular or talented than her internationally?
Consider that this is a 'worldwide' award winning book; Nigerians are not and have never been the primary target audience... that translates as Genny being a complete unknown. I know it sounds bad but tis is film bisuness on a much different level. It's clear to see that the filmmakers, considering the producers they brought onboard, were thinking way above Nollywood, it wouldn't be wrong to say their thoughts are - Sundance, Cannes & the Oscars.
Talking about the 'talent' you mentioned... the say Onyeka Owenu did a much better job... I completely agree with Sholay in that our stars can let their A-Listerism get to their heads and chase 'stardom' not acting.

2 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Originalsly: 2:32pm On Jan 31, 2013
But why cast her and not use her?Can you imagine Hollywood casting Denzel Washington and not using him?

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by VillageBoi(m): 3:23pm On Jan 31, 2013
Originalsly: But why cast her and not use her?Can you imagine Hollywood casting Denzel Washington and not using him?

Well in 'Hollywood' Denzel is an A lister and for their 'Hollywood-ish' target audience Genny is a 'what list?' Besides she had a minor role that they could cut out. She's not the only one cut out and it is still a shame. Tough world!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by sholay2011(m): 8:57pm On Jan 31, 2013
Originalsly: But why cast her and not use her?Can you imagine Hollywood casting Denzel Washington and not using him?

Bros, it seems you don't know how it goes in all these hollywood movies. Many scenes don't make it to the final cut of a movie. So, if an actor's part in d movie is deemed dispensable and also below what it's expected, it is usually edited from the final cut.

Villageboi has said it all. I doubt if she even took time to read the novel or at least where her character comes in to have a full grasp of what is required and how to research for such role.

Our actors don't have time for that but rather depend on their 'rare' talent to give 'hot' interpretation to 'lack-of-depth' scripts landing on their laps.

Much ado about talent!

5 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Jerrygotswagg(m): 9:24pm On Jan 31, 2013
Lol, they can't pay her......
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by huninaija(f): 9:30pm On Jan 31, 2013
It is to be expected, although the exposure would have been good for genevieve and nollywood..
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Chinwem(f): 9:32pm On Jan 31, 2013
Eaayaaaa
Still wanna see it though
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by 50calibre(m): 9:33pm On Jan 31, 2013
I laugh just seeing this nollywood celebrities trying by all means to break into Hollywood, first they have to realise that charity begins at home, they can't be acting in all these crappy and senseless nollywood movies and expect to be taken seriously, secondly they need to go to proper acting school and learn how to truly act.

One thing they don't realise is that an A-list Nigerian celeb is below a Z-list when it comes to the world stage because we don't focus on quality control, we just churn out garbage and expect to be taken seriously, just look at the type of music coming out of Nigeria these days.

Result is Genevieve who is widely regarded as one of the best actresses on Nigeria isn't good enough to be on a low budget Z-listing film like this.

Time to wake up

3 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by segunsd: 9:33pm On Jan 31, 2013
It is crazy. Genevieve is a very good actress and there are more. Ufuoma Ejenobor is very good so is Omotola. Genevieve acted in Dr. Bello and she didn't do badly

2 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by 80million1: 9:33pm On Jan 31, 2013
*speechless*
This simply means Nollywood still has a long way to go. A List actors here are just Local Champions,who are infinitesimally insignificant as regards International rating.
They gaz up their game to be at par.
Sorry to Aunty Genny,but she go don collect her full money when she dey Location for d film. So...
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Abbey2sam(m): 9:40pm On Jan 31, 2013
Originalsly: Doesn't make sense to me.Who would edit an A list actor out of their movie? In fact they would ratber create a role to plug in an available A list actor and even if it is for a minute or two...that actor would be hoghlighted.Even for a cameo Gene would never be cut out.On Gene being a local star...which African actress is more popular or talented than her internationally?

Nigeria movie industry is changing rapidly,I don't see geny nnaji as part of the current A list.

The yoruba directors are really changing the industry
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by omosexy1: 9:42pm On Jan 31, 2013
Originalsly: Doesn't make sense to me.Who would edit an A list actor out of their movie? In fact they would ratber create a role to plug in an available A list actor and even if it is for a minute or two...that actor would be hoghlighted.Even for a cameo Gene would never be cut out.On Gene being a local star...which African actress is more popular or talented than her internationally?

Who made her an A list actor with all the tales by moonlight movies our actors are acting. Mtshweeeee please

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Scarpon(m): 9:48pm On Jan 31, 2013
y my sweet genny
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by omosexy1: 9:51pm On Jan 31, 2013
The world recognizes nollywood because of the audience. The quality of movie churned out is crap and classless. I keep spitting each time I see a nollywood movie. 15 years after, and the actor still has the same cloth and haircut. The actors speak bad English. We only specialize on the Drama genre of movie, the drama sef we no dey do well. We have abandoned our history and facets of life that we can show the world and entered into love love movie, I steal your wife, i poison your mama and your dog kind of movie. And someone wants to tag some of our actors A-list. The person dey drink Omo abi na urine.

2 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by aribisala0(m): 9:51pm On Jan 31, 2013
None of them are good actresses just good celebrities.Have you ever seen any of them live on stage.The truth is for a hungry man all food is tasty and there is nothing to compare these "stars" to. In my book Mercy Johnson is one of our best actresses but even then still quite raw. Mike Ezuronye is good but has not fulfilled his potential. Not his fault though you need to work with good directors and producers to grow. Footballlers don't develop by playing 5 a side.
The next generation of actors need to go to school.

5 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by GudluckIBB(m): 9:52pm On Jan 31, 2013
What!!!My gene,wey that cutlass,Chimamanda if you know say u get 2 head wait for me,I dey come.How dare u fall my gene's hand.I don't blame u, I blame GEJ
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jan 31, 2013
Ghost mode
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:05pm On Jan 31, 2013
aribisala0: None of them are good actresses just good celebrities.Have you ever seen any of them live on stage.The truth is for a hungry man all food is tasty and there is nothing to compare these "stars" to. In my book Mercy Johnson is one of our best actresses but even then still quite raw. Mike Ezuronye is good but has not fulfilled his potential. Not his fault though you need to work with good directors and producers to grow. Footballlers don't develop by playing 5 a side.
The next generation of actors need to go to school.
There's a difference between been a stage actor and a movie actor. One does not have to be a good stage actor to be a good actor. How many Hollywood actors actually went to acting school? Actors are only as good as their immediate environment. Genevieve is a Nigerian actress and she's considered a great actress according according to Nigeria's standards. Denzel washington is a great American Actor and he's considered based on American standards. Unfortunately, we're using American standards to determine who can act and who can't. Can Denzel do well in a Nollywood or Bollywood movie?

12 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by brixton: 10:05pm On Jan 31, 2013
I won't be watching if she aint in... I'd rather support my own dan outsiders
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by iamswizz(m): 10:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
She needs more acting experience... Not all these crap they do in naija here

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by Afam4eva(m): 10:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
Imo, Genevieve shouldn't have taken the role to play a minor role anyways. I hate it when big stars from other countries and notable African American stars are giving peanuts as roles just because they want to break into Hollywood. Must you break into Hollywood to be recognized? Stay in your darn country and continent and you'll be recognized from there.

9 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by gerald09(m): 10:12pm On Jan 31, 2013
Well honestly majority of Nollywood actors and actresses ® not very good for a cinema movies outside nollywood, they have all picked up horrible acting skills from our directors who have not insight in acting, even Stephanie okereke who is a graduate of New york filming school still have dat bad acting character, they lack passion for acting. Gene is a great nollywood actress but it stop in d surrounding of africa. If she is finking on taking on Hollywood then she has 16yr olds to compete with. Cinema movies ® movies that shuld WOW! The audience not put them to sleep with same old love, juju or religious, acting outside nigeria story lines.

1 Like

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by queensmith: 10:15pm On Jan 31, 2013
ehn? she wasnt given a leading role in the movie? what kind of nonsense!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by bonysmile: 10:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
I like Genevieve; I think dat she's so sweet…
U r sweet n beautiful but honestly speaking, Genevieve is not a great actress as people erroneously refer. She can hardly conceal her true-life character in her drama roles. Genevieve is a very proud and arrogant person; it still shows no matter what role she plays. I've never met her in person, but many fans of nollywood agree with this.

3 Likes

Re: Genevieve Nnaji's Scenes Cut Out Of Half Of A Yellow Sun by sholay2011(m): 10:29pm On Jan 31, 2013
queensmith: ehn? she wasnt given a leading role in the movie? what kind of nonsense!

Is it her birthright?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

AMVCA: Uzee Usman Is First Northerner To Be Nominated As Best Actor In Drama / Simi Features In A Yoruba Movie "Mokaliki". Photos / BBNaija: Seyi Wins Health Advocacy Challenge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.