Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,026 members, 7,818,031 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker (7687 Views)

Compassionate Fundraising Campaign For LUTH Nurse (senior Matron) / Urgent Response From Doctor In The House / Doctor in the House: Free Medical Advice Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by hayoakins(m): 6:55am On Jul 20, 2014
To an extent, he's right but experience most times supersedes qualification. What the 30yrs experienced matron knows may save the patient's life and not what an inexperienced doctor can prescribe. Being a doctor, it's obvious that the lawmaker's objectivity on this issue is impaired.

The superiority claim of the doctors is killing the sector. Can the doctors effectively manage a health centre alone? Hell NO!

7 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 20, 2014
justirich:

“Lawyers collect 10 per cent; architects collect 3.5 per cent as commission for performing their duties.
“So, what percentage do you want to give a doctor for saving lives? The society should treat doctors fairly”, he said.

How logical is this? Since the above referenced professionals charge those percentages on the subject matter. Then Doctors too would have to find a way to receive percentages from patients' illness.

But factually speaking, Doctors receive basic salaries more than any other professional. The lawmaker ought to have tried to equate what Lawyers and Architects that are salaried under the government receive in comparison to doctors. The percentage example he provided is only limited to private practice.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 20, 2014
I tried to see the so called rivalry from the OP but didnt see any,what is wrong with a matron with over 30 years experience working in the health sector heading a team of health care professionals?...is that role restricted to doctors alone?

If she has the experience coupled with leadership and management skills,i dont see why she should not be given such position.She will only be overseeing the dispensation of efficient health care services with other health care workers under her.Doctors cant do it alone.

pharmacists,sonographers,radiologists,nurses,lab scientists,physiotherapists are all important and part of any well functioning medical centres and can aspire to management roles if they have the trainings,experiences and the skills to lead and manage.

Superority complexes of medical doctors is killing the health care industry in Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Samgreguc(m): 7:37am On Jul 20, 2014
ojuafact: becos teacher dont listen to student rather student listen to teacher and teacher teaches the student not the other way round
lol. . . . meaning?
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by timilinda(f): 7:38am On Jul 20, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Village man.. grin

Now let's take a cursory look at the word "doctor" you've been mouthing all over(as if you invented it in your grandfather's backyard). Open your dictionary and read the different meanings the word "doctor".

It is derived from latin word "docere" meaning "to teach".

In no particular order, a doctor is----->

1. In education; teacher or scholar: a teacher or somebody very knowledgeable.

2. somebody with highest university degree: a title given to somebody who has been awarded a doctorate, the highest level of degree awarded by a university

3. Roman Catholic theologian: in the earlier history of the Roman Catholic Church, an eminent and influential theologian.

4. medic, dentist, veterinarian, or osteopath: a title used before the names of health professionals such as physicians, dentists, veterinarians, and osteopath

5. somebody who can fix things: a skilled practitioner of something, especially fixing or improving something.

Have you noticed you can't protect that title 'doctor" for your benefit alone unlike the "Biomedical scientists" and "pharmacists" in UK protect theirs and make it criminal for any other person to use.

I'm sorry, you can't sue anyone who addresses himself as a "doctor" even if he is a mechanic(check no5 definition). So sweat less

I beg, u tooooo much!
grin

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by DebateNigeria: 7:41am On Jul 20, 2014
ziga: That is a million Dollar question!!!

Doctors inaction has allowed quackery to ruin the health sector.

Nigerian Doctors should have an online registry that can be accessed realtime. Let us know who is prescribing medicines.

Just like in other parts of the world, registered Nigerian Doctors should have registration numbers that MUST be available on every prescription medicine before it is dispensed by any pharmacy/drug store/hospital.

A lot of the agitation by NMA is to protect their profession. Too many usurpers!!! Everybody in Nigeria is now a Doc without training.

Killing poor Nigerians.

#nomorequackery

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Samgreguc(m): 7:48am On Jul 20, 2014
ziga:

In the hospital, the title Doctor is reserved for Physicians.

Our patients do not need any more confusion.

Physicians are called Docs

Nurses are Nurses

Pharmacists are pharmacists

Lab scientists are lab scientists.

Everybody should love and practice their profession!

And whoever does not want to be listening to Docs in a hospital, should get another job or go back to school.

Afterall, lots of people do it. It is okay for people to think they can do better than the Docs we have, just as long as they do it the right way. By going to med school.
ok.
In inference, our patient should remain ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by deols(f): 7:49am On Jul 20, 2014
hayoakins: To an extent, he's right but experience most times supersedes qualification. What the 30yrs experienced matron knows may save the patient's life and not what an inexperienced doctor can prescribe. Being a doctor, it's obvious that the lawmaker's objectivity on this issue is impaired.

The superiority claim of the doctors is killing the sector. Can the doctors effectively manage a health centre alone? Hell NO!

Dont you say that, man.

An average Nigerian is uneducated. In fact more than an average is. A nurse's experience is not in the field of diagnosis and treatment. A nurse's 30yrs experience only supersedes that of junior nurses. Not a doctor's.

The rigorous training of doctors ensures that they are competent enough to do what they are to do at each stage of their training(n.b doctors train for life)

I Must say that an average Nigerian Doctor is GOod(or stuffed as they say). The people need to be more trusting and appreciative of their efforts. I have met a good number and I'm very impressed at how much they can do with the little resources at their disposal.

I expect the public to be demanding answers from the government. Y would a responsible government allow the health system to go down for this long?? And allow the masses suffer??

Johesu members av bn going to work doing nothing all d while. Doesn't that even show that the reason patients come to the hospital is to consult with doctors(physicians?).

And no, the CMd can only be a doctor. Allowing others is only to create an impending chaos. Why can't the government see that?

JONA Just has to go. It is unthinkable that all sorts of civil unrest keep happening under a government. Tjis is a spineless government.

4 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by slimbeatz(m): 7:57am On Jul 20, 2014
what is this one saying,doctors are almost trained in all medical field.get ur facts right,go and ask those studying either medicine or dentistry in school.they rotate through all medical courses in part 4.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Ayanko(m): 8:01am On Jul 20, 2014
The Lawyer that collect 10% and Achitect 3.5%. Ask that fool called Majority leader are they Goverment Employee.

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by ogawisdom(m): 8:04am On Jul 20, 2014
Oduduwaboy: hmmm...the next point of agitation of JOHESU is for their members to also be addressed as 'Doctor '. Infact , the pharmacists have started it through their D.Pharm degree.lol.

Next will be the nurses & physiotherapists & other what-nots .
hmm...Nigeria is a wonderful country #everybodydeservestobecalledoctor

Sometimes I wonder y first degree holders with mere mbbs r called doc as if they ve phds. They shld b called physicians until they advance in their field. D real docs r phd holders.
U can b a doc in any field once u bag a doctorate degree. B educated son

2 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 20, 2014
Oduduwaboy: hmmm...the next point of agitation of JOHESU is for their members to also be addressed as 'Doctor '. Infact , the pharmacists have started it through their D.Pharm degree.lol.

" doctor of medical lab science" is next, I think they are still 'googling' to find out if it is been offered in UK or US

2 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by chucs: 8:07am On Jul 20, 2014
Nigeria can never develope with this kind of law makers.. I don't blame him after all whenever he gets sick,he flies himself abroad..

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 20, 2014
Samgreguc:
get urself educated pls.
The title Dr, is nt jst for Physician or Dr. Goodluck a Physician?
he was referring to ' hospital setting" bros

3 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Ashuale(m): 8:08am On Jul 20, 2014
The pharmacist should be seeing patients as doctors are on strike. Carry your olodo life to them for treatment.
Emelcee: Nigerian Doctors, what do they know? Pharmacist should be ahead of them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by chucs: 8:12am On Jul 20, 2014

You are saying that If a nurse,pharmacist etc bags a doctorate degree they won't be referred to as Doctors?
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Joejonah(m): 8:17am On Jul 20, 2014
ziga: In normal countries, nurses that care about patient care and love their jobs carry out the orders of the Doctor.

But in Nigeria, things are upside down.

Imagine us arguing about what the duties of a Doc or Nurse or pharmacist is?

What will we teach our children for goodness sake.

Regardless of how much anybody hates anybody else, the truth should be the truth. It never changes.

hope you are not studying medicine too with this your English??

1 Like

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by nationwide24: 8:17am On Jul 20, 2014
Now, law maker don talk. Mek enemies of truth abuse am. I dey wait for the count of derogatory names.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by chucs: 8:20am On Jul 20, 2014
ziga: In normal countries, nurses that care about patient care and love their jobs carry out the orders of the Doctor.

But in Nigeria, things are upside down.

Imagine us arguing about what the duties of a Doc or Nurse or pharmacist is?

What will we teach our children for goodness sake.

Regardless of how much anybody hates anybody else, the truth should be the truth. It never changes.
So you know about that and you did not Include that in a normal country doctors do their work and forget about Hospital administration? Nurses do their duties, they don't carry out orders please. A nurse is not answerable to a doctor,get it correct.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Joejonah(m): 8:22am On Jul 20, 2014
[quote author=deols]

Dont you say that, man.

An average Nigerian is uneducated. In fact more than an average is. A nurse's experience is not in the field of diagnosis and treatment. A nurse's 30yrs experience only supersedes that of junior nurses. Not a doctor's.

The rigorous training of doctors ensures that they are competent enough to do what they are to do at each stage of their training(n.b doctors train for life)

I Must say that an average Nigerian Doctor is GOod(or stuffed as they say). The people need to be more trusting and appreciative of their efforts. I have met a good number and I'm very impressed at how much they can do with the little resources at their disposal.

I expect the public to be demanding answers from the government. Y would a responsible government allow the health system to go down for this long?? And allow the masses suffer??

Johesu members av bn going to work doing nothing all d while. Doesn't that even show that the reason patients come to the hospital is to consult with doctors(physicians?).

And no, the CMd can only be a doctor. Allowing others is only to create an impending chaos. Why can't the government see that?

JONA Just has to go. It is unthinkable that all sorts of civil unrest keep happening under a government. Tjis is a spineless government.
[/quote

I would have listen to your lies if I don't work in the hospital
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Ashuale(m): 8:25am On Jul 20, 2014
Nigerians and titles. First day in NYSC camp bayelsa, doctors were asked to come out. Nine persons came out.we were introduced as the doctors for the camp.when we started the camp clinic, we discovered 2 doctors had IMPAIRED MEDICAL JUDGEMENT, patients under their care were getting worse, on investigation, they confessed that they were doctors of optometry.we were shocked.those promising graduates could have died. We need to bring sanity to the health system, we need to remove confusion, we need to stick to our job prescription, we need to love our job be u a nurse, a pharmacist, a lab scientist, a cleaner, a doctor. Inferiority complex and hatred are diseases and they plaguing our health sector. The public is heavily misinformed by JOHESU, they are even more active in this strike spreading misleading information.

7 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Exmay(m): 8:25am On Jul 20, 2014
jayseehe: I hate it when Doctors brag about saving lives. Mofos
Pls, what then do they do??
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by hayoakins(m): 8:36am On Jul 20, 2014
deols:

Dont you say that, man.

I am in church and cant read this long epistle which i will be back to read.

Please, juxtapose the performance of an experiencd matron and a fresh doc who just got a license. pls take note of EXPOSURE.

I shall be back
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by deols(f): 8:42am On Jul 20, 2014
[quote author=Joejonah][/quote]

And what is ur job specification in that hospital?

Are u one of the consultant orderlies?
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by eaglechild: 8:44am On Jul 20, 2014
chucs: You are saying that If a nurse,pharmacist etc bags a doctorate degree they won't be referred to as Doctors?
Not in the hospital setting.
They won't.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by unmask: 8:48am On Jul 20, 2014
you guys that are crying fowl.......wait until we have no more doctors, when you get to a hospital and you don't get to meet one then you will understand.. doctors are the most important so treat them like eggs
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 20, 2014
if this doctor lawmaker wants to collect 10% and commissions like lawyers and architects, he should go and buy a jamb form. It would take him not less than seven years to begin his practice as a lawyer though but hey, It's never too late.

lawyer=5 years in uni+ 1 year in law school + NYSC = 7years.

Pharmacist=5 years in Uni+1 year internship + NYSC = 7years.

Doctors= 6 years in uni + 1year House job + NYSC =
8years.

2 Likes

Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by chucs: 8:54am On Jul 20, 2014
eaglechild:
Not in the hospital setting.
They won't.
fantastic!!! Says who?
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Nobody: 9:10am On Jul 20, 2014
That comparison wt lawyers is to say the least stupid. I think lawyers that work with the ministry of justice and the Legal Aid council should also be go on strike because Doctors and nurses collect a hire pay when they work with government. Don't lawyers go through rigorous training for 6years in Nigeria? Even as youth corp members, doctors and nurses receive a hire pay and they resume 8:a.m and close by 2:p.m. Why should rivalry between health workers be a reason to go on strike? Are the doctors, nurses, lab scientist and pharmacist so imature that they cannot set a clear margin of responsibility and demarcation of duties for them selves? They have to to on strike so Govt can coerce nurses and Matrons of 30years experience to take instruction from Student doctors or doctors who are new graduates or entrants into the practical world of medicine. Too bad. This strike is borne out of EGO and GREED, PRIDE and SELFISHNESS and OVERzEALOUSNESS.
Re: Why Can’t A Matron Take Instruction From Doctor? – Lawmaker by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:10am On Jul 20, 2014
YourHealthlabs:

Village man.. grin

Now let's take a cursory look at the word "doctor" you've been mouthing all over(as if you invented it in your grandfather's backyard). Open your dictionary and read the different meanings the word "doctor".

It is derived from latin word "docere" meaning "to teach".

In no particular order, a doctor is----->

1. In education; teacher or scholar: a teacher or somebody very knowledgeable.

2. somebody with highest university degree: a title given to somebody who has been awarded a doctorate, the highest level of degree awarded by a university

3. Roman Catholic theologian: in the earlier history of the Roman Catholic Church, an eminent and influential theologian.

4. medic, dentist, veterinarian, or osteopath: a title used before the names of health professionals such as physicians, dentists, veterinarians, and osteopath

5. somebody who can fix things: a skilled practitioner of something, especially fixing or improving something.

Have you noticed you can't protect that title 'doctor" for your benefit alone unlike the "Biomedical scientists" and "pharmacists" in UK protect theirs and make it criminal for any other person to use.

I'm sorry, you can't sue anyone who addresses himself as a "doctor" even if he is a mechanic(check no5 definition). So sweat less
grin

Dear ' Dr' YourHealthlabs how you? Am sure you like that title? But please note that presently in the United States Different states are passing legislations to restrict the use of the honorific 'Dr' to Medical doctors alone within the hospital environment. This was done because of Primitive Impostors like you.
Within the hospital your Ph.d does not count!!! Hope you get this into your very dull brain. Cheers!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

#coronavirus: See How Much Each Breathing Machine ICU Ventilator Costs / Can Clay(nzu) Cause Infertility In Woman Who Consume It? / Health Benefit Of Fenugreek Seeds And Powder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.