Stats: 3,151,617 members, 7,813,030 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:05 AM

What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam (12183 Views)

Difference Between Butter And Mangerine / Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date / Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) (2) (3) (4)

What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by JadeWilliam(f): 1:43pm On Jul 19, 2014
I really need 2knw cos I went 2markt 2day&the price of old yam is annoying higher than new yam so I asked myself,is there anythng special abt old yam?
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Tannie(f): 7:34pm On Jul 19, 2014
Old yam is sweeter than new yam, old yam is stronger than new yam

16 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by AbdulAdam56(m): 5:29am On Jul 20, 2014
yes cos you can,t pound new yam,nd. old yam sweet pass new yam

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by tempem: 5:34am On Jul 20, 2014
Yam is Yam!!

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Shehucom(m): 5:34am On Jul 20, 2014
old yam is old while new yam is new.... old yam get quality and more satisfying than new yam
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by koreat(m): 5:36am On Jul 20, 2014
Will I say the new ones are still maturing so the wnld'nt taste better than the matured

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by ojuafact: 5:36am On Jul 20, 2014
"OLD" and "NEW" as there prefix. Dats all
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by freshness2020: 5:38am On Jul 20, 2014
Tannie: Old yam is sweeter than new yam, old yam is stronger than new yam
Culture has its place there too, especially from the Igbo tradition!
New Yam festival no be joke for east, that's another big feast I tell ♈όϋ !
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by smileandlove(f): 5:39am On Jul 20, 2014
The difference is the extra money your paying on the old yam. #Old wine tastes better! . 'home work for u OP' boil the two taste with red oil, to be submitted before the end of today.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by LMAyedun(m): 5:39am On Jul 20, 2014
tempem: Yam is Yam!!
Must you comment undecided
Why not just keep shut... undecided

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Nobody: 5:44am On Jul 20, 2014
The difference is time lag,and morever,its assumed that Old yam tastes sweeter..
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by koreat(m): 5:44am On Jul 20, 2014
Shehucom: old yam is old while new yam is new.... old yam get quality and more satisfying than new yam
You never comment oh
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by tempem: 5:46am On Jul 20, 2014
LMAyedun:
Haa!
That's harsh!!
You should have been patient enough.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by experimentist: 5:51am On Jul 20, 2014
LMAyedun:
Which be ya own? Na you get hin device? Come, no let me change am for dis early morn fa!

Ehen, yam is yam... But old yam is better..
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Iamoilprince(m): 5:55am On Jul 20, 2014
"New Yam" festival is been celebrated every year by igbo communities to mark the start up of consumption.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by LMAyedun(m): 6:00am On Jul 20, 2014
experimentist: Which be ya own? Na you get hin device? Come, no let me change am for dis early morn fa!

Ehen, yam is yam... But old yam is better..
LOL! grin Ode!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Project400: 6:02am On Jul 20, 2014
"season"

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by mainheart(m): 6:15am On Jul 20, 2014
new yam done faster while old waste time. And the old yam is costly because u can only see it in hand of few sellers and the new is all everywhere. u understand abi

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by colossus2: 6:16am On Jul 20, 2014
Old Yam is the younger brother of new yam because new yam lived longer than old yam lipsrsealed

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by tete7000(m): 6:17am On Jul 20, 2014
The water content in the new yam is higher than that of old yam.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by experimentist: 6:20am On Jul 20, 2014
LMAyedun: LOL! grin Ode!
Werey niye!
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Edwardhead(m): 6:24am On Jul 20, 2014
Because OLD yam is for both goats and human while new yam is for children... I will always make sense buhahhahahaha

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by echobee(f): 6:26am On Jul 20, 2014
Old yam is dry,new yam is wet grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by aieromon(m): 6:35am On Jul 20, 2014
Old yam has a low water content and high sugar content so it tends to be sweeter.

It's expensive because of the high demand and low quantity in circulation.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Henrypraise: 6:45am On Jul 20, 2014
echobee: Old yam is dry,new yam is wet grin

Old, new, dry n wet all in a sentence makes me remember tins. But in d case of yam as against my tots, d dryer n older d sweeter.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by thin: 7:10am On Jul 20, 2014
these stupid topics are coming back embarassed
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Noblefreeman(m): 7:15am On Jul 20, 2014
In the case of old yam,the water in it has dried which makes it heavier and more delicious whereas new yam contains much water thereby making it starchy
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by TOPCRUISE(m): 7:18am On Jul 20, 2014
AbdulAdam56: yes cos you can,t pound new yam,nd. old yam sweet pass new yam
You can't pound wetin. Don't let awon ILU OKE hear that o. New yam is the best for pounding and that's why some celeberate it's arrival with new yam festival

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by spyg1(m): 7:29am On Jul 20, 2014
JadeWilliam: I really need 2knw cos I went 2markt 2day&the price of old yam is annoying higher than new yam so I asked myself,is there anythng special abt old yam?
are you telling us that as old as you are you have not tested both of them?cheesy cheesy Benue guys where are you? answer her.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 20, 2014
Yam is my favourite food, old yam have a sweet taste (sugarish) than new yam that is mostly tastless (normal yam taste).
Old yam is good for foo, it moulds when pounded unlike new yam that after pounding may not mould together.
Old yam takes time to cook (like 20 mins) depending on the quantity. Unlike New yam that you will place on the stove b4 u go out to dispose the back the yam is already porridge.

though it depends on your prefrence, like me I prefere new yam to old yam because its soft and very easy and quick to cut and prepare. either old or new, I love yam.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by Nobody: 7:49am On Jul 20, 2014
Simply put, its like saying the older the wine, the better, sweeter and costlier.

Re: What Is The Difference Between Old And New Yam by passionate88: 7:49am On Jul 20, 2014
Tannie: Old yam is sweeter than new yam, old yam is stronger than new yam
Old yam is old while new yam is new

Please I Need Cake Boxes ASAP / Disgusting Things Ever Found In Food. / Nigerian Women Who Don't Eat A Lot In Front Of Guys