Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Facts About Geese. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Facts About Geese. (13323 Views)

Day Old Geeslings (geese Chicks) N Older For Sale / Order For Cheapest Turkey,broiler@ ,pullet,cockerel And Geese Etc / I Need Geese (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 7:09pm On Jul 19, 2014
A goose is a medium to large sized bird found in Europe, Asia and North America. There are around 29 known species of geese around the world including Canadian geese and Snowy geese.

Geese tend to have the same mating partners for their entire lives, cool and if not all of it then most of it. The bond between male and female geese partners is very strong and they will often spend most of their time together with both the male goose and the female goose building the nest and raising their young.

Geese are omnivorous birds but mainly feed on insects, grubs, small fish and plankton in the water. Geese spend a great deal of time on the water and have special adaptations such as webbed feet which make their aquatic life easier.

Geese are strong and hardy birds and are known to get to old ages, even in the wild. The average lifespan of a goose is between 20 and 30 years but a number of geese individuals have been known to live for much longer.

Geese are known to have extremely strong wings. Due to the fact that the wingspan of a goose is so large (normally one and half times the size of the goose's body), and the wings of the goose are so strong, a goose is known to be able to inflict severe damage to humans should it become threatened or annoyed! grin

Not only do geese flap their wings to intimidate unwanted company, but they are also known to make a loud hissing noise. shocked If these methods of defense fail, it is not uncommon for a goose to simply charge at the intruder hissing and flapping it's wings all at the same time.

The term geese is normally used to refer to these birds in general, but more particularly a female. The term gander is generally used to refer to a male.. The baby geese are referred to as goslings and a group of geese on the ground is called a gaggle with geese flying in formation being called a wedge or a skein.

I love these birds. These birds are a real source of income for whoever cares to rear them. Do you care

Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 7:21pm On Jul 19, 2014
Interesting & Amazing Information On Geese

Geese always fly in the shape of a ‘V’, as it allows at least 71% greater flying range. When the goose in the lead gets tired, another goose takes over the position.

They usually feed on slugs, snails, worms, mice, hamsters, wheat, barley and froglets.

While mating, geese stay monogamous for their entire life, producing families together every year. When a mate dies or is killed, the other will waits for years before choosing a new mate and sometimes, stay single as well.

Geese have a very strong instinct to return to their general area of birth to mate and nest. They either return to the exact site or to a nearby pond or body of water. Some even fly 2,000-3,000 miles to return to these sites.

The female goose builds the nest and lays one egg each day, until the full clutch of about 5 eggs is obtained.

The baby geese, called goslings, are able to dive and swim 30 to 40 feet underwater when they are only 1 day old.

Geese are one of the few birds who do not break up their family at the end of the breeding season.

Every year, the adult geese lose their flight and tail feathers, which is called molting. The new feathers take about 6 weeks to come back.

Male geese are very protective of their female partner and will always stand between her and a perceived threat.

The geese use about 10 different sounds for communicating, depending upon the situation faced by them.

The natural predators of geese are foxes, owls, raccoons and snapping turtles.

Nests are always built by the female geese, but sometimes, instead of building a new nest, they may use nests abandoned by other birds such as owl, osprey, hawk, or heron.

If there several geese families in the same area, they form a crèche and take of all the goslings, with equal attention to all.

A goose starts looking for a mate once its three years old.

Geese are extremely affectionate towards each other. If a goose falls sick or is wounded they take care of it until or recovers or heals.

The male and female are quite similar, they only way to tell the difference is by checking their size. The males are slighter bigger than their counterparts.

The Canadian geese are considered the smartest of all geese species.

The wing span of a goose is more than six feet. This enables it to fly very fast, with an average cruising speed of 30 miles per hour. Their speed during migration goes up to 40 miles per hour and if they are in a hurry they fly as fast as sixty miles per hour.

Generally, geese like green patches of lands with water bodies. They prefer short grasslands with fertilized grass for feeding. Therefore, they are attracted towards parks, playgrounds, golf courses or well-maintained lawns.

The average life span of a goose is about 25 years.

Read more at http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/lounge/facts-about-goose-8064.html#Irh8h01aVEuelyiC.99 shocked
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 7:27pm On Jul 19, 2014
Amazing.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 7:36pm On Jul 19, 2014
Goose Facts

1. Geese are naturally very calm birds but may bite if threatened. They are seen more aggressive when guarding the young ones or eggs for hatching

2. Both male and female goose looks after the younger ones from predators.This nature helped to maintain a better survival rate of young ones among geese.

3. Geese are one mate for a lifetime birds.If the pair dies off they will find another one.

4. Goose folks are found to be flying higher and faster when they are in the group and maintains a pattern while flying.If one goose falls down due to illness or ant accident two geese from the folk goes down and accompanies it till it dies off or rejoins with the folk after the sick one gets well.

5. They looses their feather fully by the months around june and in wild by this time they stays close to water bodies to escape through water in case of predator attacks.Loosing of feathers is called molting.About 6 weeks takes to get the feathers back and fly again.

6. Life span of a Goose ranges around 20 years.

7. Migratory Geese covers up to 3000 miles

8. Mating season is February to march (In Nigeria, its September to October)

9. Migratory geese returns to their birth place each year to mate and hatch the eggs in nest.

10. Usually they nest in ground,islands are favorite locations to nest and they may also nest in un-flooded swamps.

11. Goose eggs are called clutch, and the mother goose waits until all eggs are laid to sit on them to hatch and it usually takes nearly 30 days to incubate. In a clutchall geese eggs hatches same day.

12. Undeveloped eggs may sink in water or floats vertically with wider portion downward.Developed ones floats nearly horizontal showing some portion above water.

13. A baby geese is called gosling.

14. Average eggs per nest is 5. (Here in Nigeria, you can get as much as 15 eggs)

15. Goslings takes 6 weeks to fly.

16. The migrating geese have strong tendency to return back to the birth place.

17. The folks will have a guard geese to warn in case of any danger while grazing in fields.

18. Usually they chases away the enemy.

19. About 11 species of Canada geese.

20. Largest goose the Giant Canada goose may weight upto 7 Kgs.

21. In urban areas they often becomes nuisance by grazing in golf courses and parks and leaving droppings all over. Going near to goslings may result in an attack from the parent geese.

1 Share

Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 5:14am On Jul 21, 2014
Updates coming soon
Re: Facts About Geese. by boluwajokosegun: 8:22am On Jul 21, 2014
Where is the market for geese? or how can one create market?

How long those it take before it start to lay eggs
How many months does it get to before matured to slaughter
How many eggs can it lay & hartch in a year
What is the incubation period
What is the cost of day old
What does it cost to feed one to maturity
How can a farmer make good money from the biz

Many Thanks
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 2:12pm On Jul 21, 2014
boluwajokosegun:
Where is the market for geese? or how can one create market?

How long those it take before it start to lay eggs
How many months does it get to before matured to slaughter
How many eggs can it lay & hartch in a year
What is the incubation period
What is the cost of day old
What does it cost to feed one to maturity
How can a farmer make good money from the biz

Many Thanks

You've got loads of question, but i'll treat them one after the other.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2014
There is no known marketplace that sell or tie the geese to a pole or put them in thatched cage where monies are exchanged and u take your bird home happy. Nope.
The market is an exclusive one meant mainly for the RICH.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 10:18pm On Jul 21, 2014
HOW TO CREATE A MARKET
When you have a herd (10-20) birds, by default they would advertise themselves. Without any personal effort, buyers will locate you. You can equally walk into a big Vet. Store and tell them you have the birds.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 9:22am On Jul 22, 2014
At what age will she start laying? Laying starts when she is 15 to 19 months old.

Matured to be slaughtered When they are 6-9 months old.

How many eggs can she lay in a year? It depends on how well she is fed. You'll get 30 eggs. **
Re: Facts About Geese. by jericco1(m): 9:27am On Jul 22, 2014
Wow nice one Op, I actually ate one last month man i tell ya, I don't actually like their meat though... It's damn tough.. They are very muscular.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 3:11pm On Jul 22, 2014
Tru talk, though how you prepare matter a lot...

jericco1: Wow nice one Op, I actually ate one last month man i tell ya, I don't actually like their meat though... It's damn tough.. They are very muscular.
Re: Facts About Geese. by jericco1(m): 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2014
Dexpro: Tru talk, though how you prepare matter a lot...

You don't want me to tell you how long it actually took me to make it...
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 6:21pm On Jul 22, 2014
jericco1:

You don't want me to tell you how long it actually took me to make it...

grin
Re: Facts About Geese. by aurora777: 4:08pm On Jul 25, 2014
I'm interested in rearing geese. Kindly let me know where they can be bought. Do I need to create an artifical ponds for them.
I would also like to get in touch with you by the end of this year as I'm making plans to start a livestock farm then. email: citynetworks1@gmail.com.
Thanks.
Re: Facts About Geese. by FarmTech(m): 6:31pm On Jul 25, 2014
Dexpro: At what age will she start laying? Laying starts when she is 15 to 19 months old.

Matured to be slaughtered When they are 6-9 months old.

How many eggs can she lay in a year? It depends on how well she is fed. You'll get 30 eggs. **
Like hw much will a well-fed geese weigh at 6 mnths?
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 12:17pm On Jul 26, 2014
aurora777: I'm interested in rearing geese.
We've got herds of geese. If you rear them, my bro you are tapping into a multi-million naira market. So far, we are d only supplier to ibadan, some parts of lagos & ilorin.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 12:26pm On Jul 26, 2014
FarmTech:
Like hw much will a well-fed geese weigh at 6 mnths?
It should weigh anything from 16-25 pounds cheesy. A fully grown geese equals 3 & half fully grown broiler if not more.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 6:26pm On Jul 31, 2014
They are available.
Re: Facts About Geese. by FarmTech(m): 11:49pm On Aug 01, 2014
Dexpro:
It should weigh anything from 16-23 kg. A fully grown geese equals 3 & half fully grown broiler if not more.
Chei!!! Pls did u make a mistake when u wrote 16-23kg? Let me google.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 12:11am On Aug 02, 2014
FarmTech:
Chei!!! Pls did u make a mistake when u wrote(kg) 16-25 pounds? Let me google.
Oppss..... Sorry. Its supposed to be pounds, grin grin
Re: Facts About Geese. by FarmTech(m): 11:21pm On Aug 02, 2014
Dexpro:
Oppss..... Sorry. Its supposed to be pounds, grin grin
I for say.
Additnal tip: Don't raise chickens and geese together. This is bc geese are carriers of many chicken diseases. Dont also raise chickens with ducks.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 10:16am On Aug 11, 2014
These beautiful birds are available.
Re: Facts About Geese. by endyme(m): 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2014
How do sell and how can we reach you?
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 6:39pm On Aug 11, 2014
You can call the number on my signature, ma'am.
Prices vary & depends on their size.

endyme: How do u sell and how can we reach you?
Re: Facts About Geese. by dasparrow: 7:59pm On Aug 11, 2014
@Post

I love geese. I prepare it during the festivity period -especially during Christmas - back in the States. I have not seen geese to purchase here in Nigeria. Many Nigerians aren't aware of how tasty the meat is and are missing out. Oh well.

1 Like

Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2014
dasparrow: I love geese. I prepare it during festivity- esp Christmas.......
grin Its an untapped market so far in naija. I've got em' plenty. Herds of them. I love my birds! cheesy
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 12:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
[size=20pt]They are available.....[/size]
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 2:04pm On Aug 16, 2014
Simply the best......
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 4:11pm On Aug 17, 2014
Beautiful birds available.
Re: Facts About Geese. by Dexpro: 12:35pm On Sep 06, 2014
Very beautiful.......
Re: Facts About Geese. by Gardol: 3:28pm On Feb 07, 2015
Hey dexpro, I'm interested in buying some gooslings, I'm in ilorin... Let me have ur price list and contacts please. Respond promptly via my email pls- gardol4kelly@gmail.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nylon Packages Designs For All Agro Product / Why Ogbomosho Is The Best Location To Site Your Farm. / How To Test Your Raw Cashew Nuts For Kor,nut Count,moisture Level,defective Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.