Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,263 members, 7,836,192 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? (5634 Views)

Igbo Race, Subjected To Derogatory Treatment Under Buhari's Watch / Abia PDP Blasts APC Chieftain Over Derogatory Remarks On Orji / Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by nanizle(m): 10:55am On Jul 20, 2014
I came across a possible origin for the word Oyinbo and it apparently means old monkey. shocked

"Oyinbo is from Oyin obo which means old monkey/baboon grin . They become white as they age, So, that was the closest thing the Yoruba people could associate the white men with." a friend of mine posted on Facebook.

well... calling someone a white monkey sounds insulting. undecided

old monkey (oyin obo)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1562139_old_monkey_jpeged065da7077f63bf1eade8c4fdd0d40b
Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by passion007: 11:02am On Jul 20, 2014
Double post
Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 20, 2014
That monkey b.reast lipsrsealed

I never really thought of "oyinbo"being insultive.It's a mere local way of addressing them
Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by passion007: 11:13am On Jul 20, 2014
nanizle: I came across a possible origin for the word Oyinbo and it apparently means old monkey. shocked

"Oyinbo is from Oyin obo which means old monkey/baboon grin . They become white as they age, So, that was the closest thing the Yoruba people could associate the white men with." a friend of mine posted on Facebook.

well... calling someone a white monkey sounds insulting. undecided

old monkey (oyin obo)
www.nairaland.com/attachments/1562139_old_monkey_jpeged065da7077f63bf1eade8c4fdd0d40b

'Oyinbo' is the Yoruba rendering of the Igbo word 'Oyibo'
The earliest whitemen often said "Oyibo" when they meant "Onye Ibo" ie an Igbo person.
Before long, Igbos began to refer to whites--jestfully, may be scornfully --as "Oyibo"
The word has nothing to do with monkeys or baboons or suchlike.

2 Likes

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by DECOtech(m): 11:17am On Jul 20, 2014
I used to think that the word "OYINBO" was from Edo language.

1 Like

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by Lordabas: 11:23am On Jul 20, 2014
SINCE WHEN DID CALLING SOMEONE OYINBO BECOME DEROGATORY. NAWA FOR UNA O
Any white person is presumed "Oyinbo" therefore calling them "Oyinbo" because you don't know their names does not means disrespect, you are only disrespecting them when you add "Pepper".

1 Like

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by Lordabas: 11:27am On Jul 20, 2014
passion007:

'Oyinbo' is the Yoruba rendering of the Igbo word 'Oyibo'
The earliest whitemen often said "Oyibo" when they meant "Onye Ibo" ie an Igbo person.
Before long, Igbos began to refer to whites--jestfully, may be scornfully --as "Oyibo"
The word has nothing to do with monkeys or baboons or suchlike.

True.
The word consists of two morphemes:
Oyin – bee or honey and
Ibo – a yellowish sweet sour fruit.
Perhaps the juice or bee of ibo is whiter than other bees. Yorubas usually decribe people by what they look like or behave like or speak like. I dare say Oyibos are so called because they are whitish like the juice or bee of ibo. cheesy
Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by oduastates: 12:30pm On Jul 20, 2014
Nonsense.
Even the colonials knew what it meant .
Yes it was the derogrative way the Yorubas jokingly used to refer to whites .

Eni ti oyin ti bo

Oyin- bee
Bo - peeled

Translation.

"One whose black skin has been peeled off by bee stings"

It does not have that derogrative connotation anymore

1 Like

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by Nonybb: 2:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
It is called Oyibo not "Oyinbo" as popularly pronounced by the Yorubas. It is an Igbo word but was bastardized and corrupted by the Yorubas when they ignorantly called it as "Oyinbo". Nothing like Oyinbo nor does it have any meaning. Finally Oyibo means "a white man" in Igbo

1 Like

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
This nairaland school is soooo confusing OK, I just say what I have been saying, fvck the meaning, "oyibo", "oyinbo" tongue

2 Likes

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by nanizle(m): 5:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
Nonybb: It is called Oyibo not "Oyinbo" as popularly pronounced by the Yorubas. It is an Igbo word but was bastardized and corrupted by the Yorubas when they ignorantly called it as "Oyinbo". Nothing like Oyinbo nor does it have any meaning. Finally Oyibo means "a white man" in Igbo

I thought white man translates to onye-ocha in Igbo
Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by blasterman(m): 6:14pm On Jul 20, 2014
Oyinbo in lagos slang means someone with pale or white peeled skin. in yoruba it sounds like when bee stung somebody and.then that part of their body becomes pale. Back then seeing a white person was verg scarce. When u said oyinbo pepper it mean someone with peeled,pale or white skin turning red. Usually when european. Stay in sun they turn red.

1 Like

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jul 20, 2014
[size=13pt]The OP's rendering and every other post regarding the topic are all blatant lies and most importantly, it is not and was never an Ibhoe word.

Originally pronounced/spelt: Oyibo

Oyi: cold (wind/breeze)

Bo: peel, bleach, fade, pale

Oyibo: someone (whom) cold has bleached, peeled, faded or paled.
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by passion007: 6:46pm On Jul 20, 2014
nanizle:

I thought white man translates to onye-ocha in Igbo

Yes, it does.
The whiteman would attempt to call the Igbo "Onye Igbo" but owing to inability to strike "ny" and "gb " sounds, he ended up saying "Oyibo"
This sounded funny to the Igbos who began to 'mock' the white man with his funny rendering of their title.

In other parts, the first whiteman the locals met was a nondescript Mr Baker whose name would then be mutilated to "Bekee". Igbos from those areas call the whiteman "Onye bekee"

"Oyibo" has been Yorubanized over the years that the history is now even in doubt on NL.

1 Like

Re: Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? by Jakumo(m): 7:02pm On Jul 20, 2014
To any BLACK African person who thinks it is perfectly acceptable for Nigerian children or adults to scream the word "Oyibo!" at any person deemed to look like a "foreigner" to their country, I ask you if you if you would also find it acceptable for people to shout "black man" or "nigger" at YOU while you are visiting or residing in any country where blacks constitute a minority group, such as the UK or USA.

Please do NOT hide behind the "cultural" argument that yelling in people's faces is socially acceptable to Nigerians living in Nigeria, because my question is simply whether it would be cool with you "traditionalists" for one or more loudmouthed individuals to randomly gang up and proceed to scream at you in the street for WHATEVER reason, on the streets of ANY city in the world.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari Stands High On Inter-party Democracy - Omotosho‎ / Atiku Makes U-turn Congratulates Buhari ,withdraws Election Petition (SEE SHOCKI / IPOB Hires Another Lobbying Firm In Fresh N300M Deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.