Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,869 members, 7,813,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:49 PM

Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? (4218 Views)

Ben Murray-bruce’s Reply To A Rude Follower / Russia Braces Up For A Third World War(photos) / Is "Oyinbo" A Derogatory Word For White People? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by Obalende: 10:09pm On Dec 18, 2007
Is the use of 'Third World' to refer to African countries (including Nigeria) and other developing countries rude?
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by Kobojunkie: 4:08am On Dec 19, 2007
Nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, or is it suddenly rude to
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by Ndipe(m): 4:11am On Dec 19, 2007
And how about 4th world? wink
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by toshmann(m): 5:33pm On Dec 19, 2007
i agree undecided

b/c i get confused when they call india, a country that has developed nuclear arsenal on it's own, a 3rd world country. then brasil, a large economy that is vastly organising and improving itself, and then turn around to call nigeria 3rd world too, a country that could not even maintain 90mins power supply for all the matches of nigeria 99. . .

i think it's an insult on countries like brasil and india.

i have said b4 that nigeria, as it is today, is not a developing country, but an undevelopable country, or better still a 'refused-to-develop' nation
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by almondjoy(f): 6:01pm On Dec 19, 2007
toshmann:

i agree undecided

b/c i get confused when they call india, a country that has developed nuclear arsenal on it's own, a 3rd world country. then brasil, a large economy that is vastly organising and improving itself, and then turn around to call nigeria 3rd world too, a country that could not even maintain 90mins power supply for all the matches of nigeria 99. . .

i have said before that nigeria, as it is today, is not a developing country, but an undevelopable country, or better still a 'refused-to-develop' nation

Thank you very much jare! I think it is an undeserved compliment too. If there is something called 200th world, I don't think Nigeria will qualify. In all honesty, Nigeria should be classified as a "retro-developing" country, heading back into the dark ages or prehistoric existence.
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by naijaking1: 6:04pm On Dec 19, 2007
classic almonjoy! I agree.
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by Obalende: 9:13pm On Dec 19, 2007
developing country sounds better - 3rd world makes it seem they have done something OF THEMSELVES REALLY to make themselves developed.
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Dec 19, 2007
It's
Obalende:

Is the use of 'Third World' to refer to African countries (including Nigeria) and other developing countries rude?
It's not rude. The truth is bitter.
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by femo2000(m): 11:53pm On Dec 19, 2007
Not at all its not rude.

its only rude is we think its rude, and we make the oyinbos see us as a needy race forgotten by God.

but I think its only to confirm that the later shall be greater than the former

peace
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by Ndipe(m): 12:37am On Dec 20, 2007
How come I am not getting notification in my inbox?
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by RichyBlacK(m): 7:16am On Dec 20, 2007
Origin of the term

The economist and demographer Alfred Sauvy, in an article published in the French magazine L'Observateur, August 14, 1952, coined the term Third World in referring to countries currently called either "developing" or "under-developed", especially in Latin America, Africa, Oceania, and Asia, that were unaligned with either the Communist Soviet bloc or the Capitalist NATO bloc during the Cold War (1945–1989). Today, Third World is synonymous with all countries in the developing world, regardless of their political status. --Wikipedia
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by RichyBlacK(m): 7:17am On Dec 20, 2007
[size=14pt]Third World[/size] was a reference to the Tiers État, the (Third Estate), the commoners of France before and during the French Revolution — opposed to the priests and nobles who composed the First Estate and the Second Estate. Like the third estate, wrote Sauvy, the Third World has nothing, and "wants to be something", implying that the Third World is exploited (as was the third estate) and that its destiny is revolutionary. Moreover, it conveyed the second concept of political non-alignment with neither the industrialized Capitalist bloc nor the industrialized Communist bloc. --Wikipedia
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by almondjoy(f): 12:26am On Dec 21, 2007
Oh please! Too much grammar RichyBlack!
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by Sijien(m): 1:03am On Dec 21, 2007
Obalende:

will u prefer if dem say underdeveloped country?
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by Nobody: 6:22am On Dec 21, 2007
toshmann:

i agree undecided

i have said before that nigeria, as it is today, is not a developing country, but an undevelopable country, or better still a 'refused-to-develop' nation

I can't get enough of the letters in bold. grin grin grin grin grin grin It still makes me laugh each time I'm notified of a post.
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by wendymanda: 6:35am On Dec 21, 2007
undevelopable country
I love Nigeria dearly but that was funny and true.
Re: Is The Use Of 'third World' Rude/derogatory? by toshmann(m): 5:46am On Feb 27, 2015
Lol grin

(1) (Reply)

Industrialist Declares 104 Textile Companies Dead / How Family Lost 4 Members To Oct 1 Bombings / Urgent Answers Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.