Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,090 members, 7,852,692 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:40 AM

Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants (22488 Views)

Innoson Motors Spotted At The National Assembly Complex (See Photos) / Toyota, 4 Other Auto Brands To Locate Assembly Plants In Ogun / Your Opinions: Can Innoson Compete With Giants Like Toyota & KIA In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Reptyle(m): 10:26am On Jul 21, 2014
This is very good news. I pray the establishment of these plants will have a positive impact on the market price.

I hope, however that FG will delay the planned import tariff until locally produced cars start to roll off the plants.

The problem most times is that our government tends to put the cart before the horse; e.g. forcing an increase in electricity tariff on a market that is yet to feel the full impact of the ongoing power reforms. That should be the last item on the project plan.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 10:27am On Jul 21, 2014
Zikkyy:

The word highlighted red is what am talking about.

Thanks.......This is really getting interesting.
They had power, which they generated themselves for so many decades before pulling out of MANUFACTURING in 2010.
So maybe it was not power the MAIN infrastructure problem that they had before their decision to fold up. That is my line of thoughts.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 10:29am On Jul 21, 2014
Reptyle: This is very good news. I pray the establishment of these plants will have a positive impact on the market price.

I hope, however that FG will delay the planned import tariff until locally produced cars start to roll off the plants.

The problem most times is that our government tends to put the cart before the horse; e.g. forcing an increase in electricity tariff on a market that is yet to feel the full impact of the ongoing power reforms. That should be the last item on the project plan.

You are looking at things SIMPLY/ONLY from the consumer's point of view.
How about considering the businessman's/investor's viewpoint

Why would any investor put his money into a venture without guarantees of good market PLUS tidy profit? Would you do your business otherwise
How much were moblie phones, SIM cards, call rates when they were introduced in 2000/2001?
How much are they now?

3 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by niceeric(m): 10:34am On Jul 21, 2014
Sincere9gerian:
You've forgotten about the job creation component and the multiplier effect that will have on families and on the economy? What about reducing the pressure on foreign exhange and stability of the naira? What about the taxes these companies will remit to the states, thereby boosting internally generated revenue and reducing our dependency on oil? What about the skills transfer that will take place?

Honestly, you guys in APC are so narrow minded. No wonder you keep hating and ranting online.
Quit d Economics mumbo jumbo MR,we all know those are all theory and won't manifest on their own.

Multiplier effect, job creation, pressure on d naira against other foreign currencies won't mean a thing if d FG don't put things in order in d country first before making these giant strides....Aren't Indians job creators here in NigeriaHow come they make their employees slaves ryt in their fatherland and do so with impunity cos d do called working FG gets windfalls in form of bribes from them....so is dat job creation??.....if d cars are not affordable by d populace then we should all be able to say ' to hell with their assembly plants and GEJ pls don't increase import duty on our tokunbo cars cos we are happy with them'....
cos volkswagen won't av meant people's car if it wasn't made affordable by d people....

And how would d Naira be allowed to 'grow' against other currencies if d cars don't get exported.....i'll rule out. exports outside Africa cos who would want an expensive made in Nigeria Toyota camry in the United States??....so we're left with export to African countries so dat brings me back to d pricing....if Nigerians won't be able to afford a made in Nigeria car, would it then be affordable to a Kenyan?...or a Sierra Leonean or even a Benenois who has better alternative of buying vehicles at cheaper prices ryt at his own country's port??

Koko is dat, if d cars won't be affordable just like Dstv,all network providers, services arent affordable by d common Nigerian cos d same FG demands a whole lot in terms of cash/bribes from then and if d plants would also turn Nigerians to slaves and mere contract workers as almost all establishments by foreign 'investors' do(with d FG's approval cos of monetary gains), then I and all rightly thinking Nigerians can say hell with the factories and wish and pray your GEJ gets wise and leave d import duty on tokunbo vehicles as it is and not compound our already enormous problems.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Caseless: 10:39am On Jul 21, 2014
Rikidony: [s]May God bless GEJ and his cabinet. this man should change the constitution and rule for life his the only right thinking president ever.[/s]
how old are u?

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 21, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: I am a hater, but not part of mynd's gang...

If these cars won't go for N1,000,000 per new one, then its useless setting up plants here.
Nigerians sef, una want everything for the cheapest and you expect the best. Write a letter to Aso rock telling them to add subsidy on cars produced in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Caseless: 10:44am On Jul 21, 2014
Insincere9igerian, u can jst shut up already. What a mendacious dude ar u...
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Ahmeduana(m): 10:52am On Jul 21, 2014
Chibuke56: NEVER!
befe,beko gbogbo yin le egba eni tio o ba fe ama fi oruko sibi ti won nfi alagidi si>UNA GO TAKE BY FIRE BY FORCE,PERSON WEY NO WANT WEY NO GREE WE GO PUT D PERSON NAME 4 WHERE DEM DEY PUT STURBORN PERSON NAME GEJ 4L
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by deor03(m): 10:53am On Jul 21, 2014
These plants shouldn't be allowed to be sited in Lagos.

We need to reverse the huge migration into Lagos, to keep other cities growing

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by yuskel(m): 11:01am On Jul 21, 2014
Let me keep my fingers crossed.I Hope we that study automobile finally have a hope of an employment opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by heatmeup(f): 11:11am On Jul 21, 2014
fiverrwin: When will they be making the parts here instead of assembly
y not stick to that now rome was not built in a day

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Zikkyy(m): 11:11am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:
They had power, which they generated themselves for so many decades before pulling out of MANUFACTURING in 2010.
So maybe it was not power the MAIN infrastructure problem that they had before their decision to fold up. That is my line of thoughts.

Do you know of any other infrastructural problem? i know it can't be bad road, communications is easier now compared to 90's. it's not raw material and plant/equipment maintenance (these are forex/xchange rate dependent). True they generated power for so many decades, but remember it was president Yar'adua that approved the complete deregulation of diesel (fuel for powering generators). am sure you know the implication.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by heatmeup(f): 11:12am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:

Why would any investor put his money into a venture without guarantees of good market PLUS tidy profit? Would you do your business otherwise
How much were moblie phones, SIM cards, call rates when they were introduced in 2000/2001?
How much are they now?
i love this write up

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Zikkyy(m): 11:15am On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:

Government policies should favor consumers, not kill them. i think the government should consider other consumer friendly incentive schemes for investors.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 11:26am On Jul 21, 2014
Zikkyy:

Government policies should favor consumers, not kill them. i think the government should consider other consumer friendly incentive schemes for investors.

I hope you don't mind sharing examples of such workable, proven policies in the context of encouraging local production of items, with us here.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jul 21, 2014
Zikkyy:

Don't mind him,he doesn't realise that without consumers the company is going to fold up,android is d best selling phone today because they are very cheap
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by muhammad23(m): 12:25pm On Jul 21, 2014
In my own opinion, this is a good development, their would be multiplier effects on the economy...but this can only be possible and a total success if the FG hasten up on the provision of stable power supply.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Anacksunamun: 12:26pm On Jul 21, 2014
Sincere9gerian: Where is Mynd44 and his gang of haters? I know they hate good news but I would like to know what they think about this development.

But for the politically motivated Boko Haram, this country would have made much more progress under the able leadership of GEJ and his team.
well said!!

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by benson81(m): 12:39pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ugele: do know that dat Tata aquired British automobile company dat produced Range Rover, Land Rover and either Bentley or Roll Royce and they have one of the best research centre and one of the best and richest automobile company in the world. U know Nigerians always request for substandard products. Thanks
why are you ppl speaking wit both sides of ur mouth.you want brand new cars sold for N1m.later you said tata makes cars sold for less than $6k.now u say Nigerians like cheap things.the cars you mentionened the Rovers etc are dey sold for N1m?

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by LordAdam: 12:42pm On Jul 21, 2014
Double post.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by LordAdam: 12:43pm On Jul 21, 2014
anonimi:

While I agree that a car should not be a luxury, IMHO a car should not be the means for EVERYDAY transport.
Our state & LGAs should live up to their constitutional RESPONSIBILITY of providing COMFORTABLE, sustainable MASS transit system of buses, light rails, metros, underground, boats, ferries etc to move people DAILY to/fro work & their businesses while TAXING HEAVILY those who want to use their cars (driving alone) into MULTIPLE city centres.

This is the way of the future because we cannot continue to have traffic jams/go-slows with the attendant soci-economic & environmental costs it implies.

Your post highlights a roadmap to a Nigeria of 2-3 decades from now. I'm piping on what's obtainable in a few years time.

You've got a brilliant idea. But it's like making regulations for newer foreign investors looking to set up industries, to compulsorily use more green initiatives than is pragmatic or pay heavy taxes. Of course that makes for a good show of eco-conscience, but that's simply counter-intuitive when we haven't gotten to respectable level of industrialization yet.

Cars are not just meant to commute people to work, you can't rule out the convenience of having a family going out on the weekends or to a place of religious worship in a moderately-sized sedan or SUV.

A larger percentage of the national budget caters for recurrent expenditure, much larger than that earmarked for capital expenditure. And I get that you were referring to the state/local governments, still I'm guessing the stats won't be too far apart.

Let's take things slow. Nigeria is changing, and those who care to observe could tell. Contrary to what some might want us believe, it's not pegged on any one person. I see good stuff in opposition-held states and same good stuff in other states. Let's make this work, I'm not saying we should forsake our ideologies of how the country should be run, but think of it--politics benefits the politicians, what the rest of us get is the crumbs.

If anyone still wants to play their drum, fine by me (I've got my own pills to swallow) and I hope he or she gets something tangible in return. Personally, I just think we should mark our scripts and advocate for what's right for us as individuals, our families and our fellow countrymen.

~LordAdam

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by benson81(m): 12:44pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ugele: do know that dat Tata aquired British automobile company dat produced Range Rover, Land Rover and either Bentley or Roll Royce and they have one of the best research centre and one of the best and richest automobile company in the world. U know Nigerians always request for substandard products. Thanks
Besides Bentley is owned by Volkwagen and not TATA!

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Vavavoom(m): 12:48pm On Jul 21, 2014
LordAdam: I too look forward to having the Germans set up plants, although I'm sure they'd be watching closely for the outcome of this "Korean rush-hour", before committing millions of Euros into setting up plants here.

As far as the price goes, I don't mind paying the same price of previously imported cars for Assembled-in-Nigeria cars, since the money would go into creating more jobs, and increasing the nation's revenue.

A car shouldn't be a luxury, an average earner should be able to purchase one (new or used). I'm looking up to the dealers to tag up with the banks to structure a financing option where even the civil servants can acquire a car without coughing out their savings. Say an installment-based package. I know some packages of this sort already exist, but most of them I've reviewed are way out of the reach of the average earners.

Things are beginning to shape well for the country, now let's hope the political-backed milieu of security challenges hit the back burner.
~LordAdam

Excellent response. One thing citizens can do is to take hold and drive the process via a forum. We can look at what has worked somewhere( SA, Egypt...mortgage exist for as low as 2,700 Rand/month! for a new car) else, factor in variable economic indices and put forward our proposal to government for consideration. We shouldn't ALLOW the investors ( banks, government, and assembly plant owners) to toss us wherever they choose to lean. Let us join them in the policy via a protection council.
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Bimpe29: 12:53pm On Jul 21, 2014
This is a good & cheering news.

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by LordAdam: 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2014
Vavavoom:

Excellent response. One thing citizens can do is to take hold and drive the process via a forum. We can look at what has worked somewhere( SA, Egypt...mortgage exist for as low as 2,700 Rand/month! for a new car) else, factor in variable economic indices and put forward our proposal to government for consideration. We shouldn't ALLOW the investors ( banks, government, and assembly plant owners) to toss us wherever they choose to lean. Let us join them in the policy via a protection council.

Nice input. But I'm afraid of the effectiveness of setting up such a council in our 'fine' country. I've thought hard about the idea, and all I can seem to crank up is the many ways this can easily fall apart or lose credibility.

I'm still hopeful though and if there's any of such council, I'd like to know, probably be part of what goes on there. For a country that has given us a banner to live under for the last 5 decades, a lot of us sure don't care about her trajectory.

~LordAdam
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by frainc(m): 1:04pm On Jul 21, 2014
donnypool:

you sir is a fool
is that your name?

No wonder because is only a fool will wish his country men war
Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by anonimi: 1:05pm On Jul 21, 2014
LordAdam:

Your post highlights a roadmap to a Nigeria of 2-3 decades from now. I'm piping on what's obtainable in a few years time.

You've got a brilliant idea. But it's like making regulations for newer foreign investors looking to set up industries, to compulsorily use more green initiatives than is pragmatic or pay heavy taxes. Of course that makes for a good show of eco-conscience, but that's simply counter-intuitive when we haven't gotten to respectable level of industrialization yet.

Cars are not just meant to commute people to work, you can't rule out the convenience of having a family going out on the weekends or to a place of religious worship in a moderately-sized sedan or SUV.

A larger percentage of the national budget caters for recurrent expenditure, much larger than that earmarked for capital expenditure. And I get that you were referring to the state/local governments, still I'm guessing the stats won't be too far apart.

Let's take things slow. Nigeria is changing, and those who care to observe could tell. Contrary to what some might want us believe, it's not pegged on any one person. I see good stuff in opposition-held states and same good stuff in other states. Let's make this work, I'm not saying we should forsake our ideologies of how the country should be run, but think of it--politics benefits the politicians, what the rest of us get is the crumbs.

If anyone still wants to play their drum, fine by me (I've got my own pills to swallow) and I hope he or she gets something tangible in return. Personally, I just think we should mark our scripts and advocate for what's right for us as individuals, our families and our fellow countrymen.

~LordAdam

Thanks, the highlighted is exactly what I was saying.
The Lagos BRT scheme and delayed metro/light rail schemes align with that already and I am certain there may be examples from other states.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Boss13: 1:12pm On Jul 21, 2014
SLIDEwaxie: I am a hater, but not part of mynd's gang...

If these cars won't go for N1,000,000 per new one, then its useless setting up plants here.

You are being unrealistic oga. A car for N1,000,000 is on average $6,257.43. An average toyota car cost $20,000 - $40,000. Now, with good cost accounting system, I would say that the cars will cost roughly N3,000,000 - N5,000,000. I am currently hearing that credit facilities at 10% will be offered to consumers of these vehicles. This will stimulate demand.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by benson81(m): 1:14pm On Jul 21, 2014
Ugele: Sir, there are many cars selling below 6000 dollars. About years ago Tata motors launched Nano d cheapest car in the world. Stop deceving urself with informationn u don't have. Visit google today.
this ur nano is it not a glorified keke?

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by mikhe2(m): 1:22pm On Jul 21, 2014
wow. wat a lovely news

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by mikhe2(m): 1:27pm On Jul 21, 2014
some bitches wil b hating on gudluck......

1 Like

Re: Toyota, Kia Okay Nigeria’s Assembly Plants by Rikidony(m): 1:28pm On Jul 21, 2014
caseless: how old are u?
thats not the point. the point is that you are directly or indirectly feeling the fresh air

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I've Had It With 4-cylinders. / See The Thousands Of Laptop Battery Cells Used In Tesla Car Battery Parks / 2017 Jaguar Xf Premium: A Joy To Behold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.