Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,796 members, 7,831,579 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? (956 Views)

Which One Came To Nigeria First Islam Or Christianity? / The Quran Or The Bible,which Is God's Word? / Who Was Abraham's Father? Azar (Quran) Or Terah (Bible)? Which Is Right? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by lacum: 6:29pm On Jul 22, 2014
Most christians except catholics believe that the bible came b4 d church. But the catholics blieve d church started at penticost and am sure non of the letters of d new testament have been written then. Again the apostles recorded what d church did or what d church is doing. Some others wil say d old testament was already there but every xtian know dat without d new testament d old wont be relevant to xtians because d new gave meaning to d old n dats y d church added it to d bible.
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by italo: 1:19am On Jul 23, 2014
Following
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by alentyno: 7:53am On Jul 23, 2014
All I know is the bible is more important than the church (ie those doctrines and unnecessary dogmas)

1 Like

Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by SalC: 8:06am On Jul 23, 2014
No answer yet?
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by jnrbayano(m): 8:27am On Jul 23, 2014
Brb.
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 23, 2014
alentyno: All I know is the bible is more important than the church (ie those doctrines and unnecessary dogmas)

How did you come about this your claim?

What is the pillar and foundation of the christian faith?
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by Ubenedictus(m): 9:52am On Jul 23, 2014
I am here
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by jdilight(m): 11:54am On Jul 23, 2014
lacum: Most christians except catholics believe that the bible came b4 d church. But the catholics blieve d church started at penticost and am sure non of the letters of d new testament have been written then. Again the apostles recorded what d church did or what d church is doing. Some others wil say d old testament was already there but every xtian know dat without d new testament d old wont be relevant to xtians because d new gave meaning to d old n dats y d church added it to d bible.

The bible of cos
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by PastorAIO: 12:04pm On Jul 23, 2014
alentyno: All I know is the bible is more important than the church (ie those doctrines and unnecessary dogmas)

They didn't ask you which one is more important to you, they asked which one came first.

My answer is that the Bible came before Bible-based christianity. However the Christianity that Jesus founded came before the bible.
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by lacum: 2:09pm On Jul 23, 2014
PastorAIO:

They didn't ask you which one is more important to you, they asked which one came first.

My answer is that the Bible came before Bible-based christianity. However the Christianity that Jesus founded came before the bible.
in oda words, d xtianity jesus founded is diffrent from d bible based xtinity? Abeg explain better
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by PastorAIO: 2:17pm On Jul 23, 2014
lacum: in oda words, d xtianity jesus founded is diffrent from d bible based xtinity? Abeg explain better

Bingo!! You're bright.
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by lacum: 2:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
PastorAIO:

Bingo!! You're bright.
dis is not good. But If u want to continue am gud at it. But 4 d sake of odas who want to learn, pls b civil
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by PastorAIO: 3:44pm On Jul 23, 2014
lacum: dis is not good. But If u want to continue am gud at it. But 4 d sake of odas who want to learn, pls b civil

Bingo is a british term for when you get something correct. Please don't be offended.
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by alentyno: 3:44pm On Jul 23, 2014
PastorAIO:

I know pastor.
If you observe my comment very well, you will discover that I was insinuating that their timeline was not so important to me
#shalom!
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by lacum: 10:46am On Jul 24, 2014
alentyno:
I know pastor.
If you observe my comment very well, you will discover that I was insinuating that their timeline was not so important to me
#shalom!
if d bible is more important dan d church jesus would have mentioned it and dat wil mean there wont b any need 4 a church at all.
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by alentyno: 12:23pm On Jul 24, 2014
lacum: if d bible is more important dan d church jesus would have mentioned it and dat wil mean there wont b any need 4 a church at all.
I never said we should not go to church! Rather to me what the bible teaches is above any additional dogma or doctrine!
John 4:20-24 New International Version (NIV)
20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but
you Jews claim that the place where we must
worship is in Jerusalem.”
21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is
coming when you will worship the Father neither
on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You
Samaritans worship what you do not know; we
worship what we do know, for salvation is from
the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now
come when the true worshipers will worship the
Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the
kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is
spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the
Spirit and in truth.”
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by lacum: 1:52pm On Jul 24, 2014
alentyno:
I never said we should not go to church! Rather to me what the bible teaches is above any additional dogma or doctrine!
John 4:20-24 New International Version (NIV)
20 Our ancestors worshiped on this mountain, but
you Jews claim that the place where we must
worship is in Jerusalem.”
21 “Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is
coming when you will worship the Father neither
on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22 You
Samaritans worship what you do not know; we
worship what we do know, for salvation is from
the Jews. 23 Yet a time is coming and has now
come when the true worshipers will worship the
Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the
kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24 God is
spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the
Spirit and in truth.”
ur positn is not yet clear. Are u saying dat neida d bible nor d church can help us worship God in spirit m in truth?
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by Emusan(m): 9:24pm On Jul 24, 2014
lacum: ur positn is not yet clear. Are u saying dat neida d bible nor d church can help us worship God in spirit m in truth?

I'll use this your post together in answering the OP.

Firstly, Bible is a compilation of an historical books written by men through the inspiration of God in other to convey the very MIND of God towards His creation AND how God had dealt with MAN in the past WITH His future PLAN for man.

Secondly, You have to know that the very word 'BIBLE' never appeared within the book itself.

Thirdly, the Church In quote is not the building you go and worship every Sunday or sometimes during the week. church signifies THE SAINT(s) who have been made perfect by the finishing work of Christ. Jesus is coming for His church (the SAINTS) NOT denominations i.e those who has acknowledged Him as their personal Lord and Saviour.
Although the term 'Church (as building)' has been using to identify the gathering of believers in Christ.

Lastly, I can see that you're confusing church (the building/denominations) with Church (The SAINTS).
Bible as we have it, is a book which serves as A GUIDANCE for Christians NOT a certificate for salvation unto eternal life.

To your question "Are you saying neither the Bible nor the Church can help us WORSHIP God in spirit and in truth"?

Either Bible or church(I'll take this as a building or denomination) can help us WORSHIP God in truth and in spirit depending on how you read the books and the doctrine you follow.

The revelation of God in human history recorded by some men came before the Church (the act of believing in Christ's finished work by people) though this work has been for ordained before the foundation of the world BUT the CHURCH of Christ came before the compilation of the Christian Bible.

NOTE: I'm not arguing with you but I am a fallible and finite being trying to discern the mind of an infallible and infinite mind of sovereign God.

Remain Bless in CHRIST Jesus who is coming for His church not denominations.

1 Like

Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by italo: 9:05am On Jul 25, 2014
Neither Jesus nor the apostles ever mentioned "bible"

The Bible was created centuries later by the Catholic Church.

smiley
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by Emusan(m): 9:59am On Jul 25, 2014
italo: Neither Jesus nor the apostles ever mentioned "bible"

The Bible was created centuries later by the Catholic Church.smiley

Using the Word CREATED is wrong.
Compilation is the best word.
Re: For Non Catholics: Church Or Bible Which One Came First? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:43pm On Jul 25, 2014
I agree with pastor aio.

The church as founded by Christ came before the christian bible.

The bible came before the "sola scriptural" christianity.

(1) (Reply)

God Directs Me To Impregnate Married Women And Their Daughters- Pastor / Fake Prophets In The Pentecostal Church / Ebola And Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.