Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,966 members, 7,835,226 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

I Plan To Visit Chibok After Abducted Girls’ Freedom -jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Plan To Visit Chibok After Abducted Girls’ Freedom -jonathan (697 Views)

Federal Government's Delegates Visit Chibok Parents In Borno / Buhari Did Not Visit Chibok - GMB Campaign Office / 11 Parents Of Nigeria's Abducted Girls Die (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Plan To Visit Chibok After Abducted Girls’ Freedom -jonathan by isi4(m): 6:32pm On Jul 22, 2014
President Goodluck Jonathan on Tuesday said although he had not visited Chibok, Borno State since April 14 when over 200 schoolgirls were kidnapped, his desire was to visit the town after the girls might have been rescued.

He said it was only then that parents of the abducted girls could receive him with smiling faces rather than with tears.

A statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, quoted Jonathan as speaking during a closed-door meeting he had with parents of the abducted girls, some of the girls who escaped from their abductors and leaders of the community at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Abati said the President told the gathering that his heart was constantly with the traumatized parents, despite that he had not visited the town.

The statement quoted the Jonathan to have said, “Our duty now is to take all relevant steps to recover our girls alive and our primary interest is getting them out as safely as possible. I will not want to say much, but we are doingt everything humanly possible to get the girls out.

“This not the time for talking much. This is the time for action. We will get to the time that we will tell stories. We will get to the time that we will celebrate and I assure you that, by God’s grace, that time will come soon.”

He was said to have reassured the Chibok community that his administration is doing everything humanly possible to rescue the girls and return them safely to their parents.

He said, “Anyone who gives you the impression that we are aloof and that we are not doing what we are supposed to do to get the girls out is not being truthful.

“Our commitment is not just to get the girls out, it is also to rout Boko Haram completely from Nigeria. But we are very, very mindful of the safety of the girls. We want to return them all alive to their parents. If they are killed in any rescue effort, then we have achieved nothing.”

Responding to appeals from the community leaders for more help in overcoming some of the challenges imposed on Chibok and neighbouring communities by the Boko Haram insurgency, the President was quoted as saying that the National Emergency Management Agency and Federal Medical Agencies would intensify their efforts to provide them with additional relief aid and assistance.

He also assured them that Chibok and other communities in the three North-Eastern States most affected by the Boko Haram insurgency will be the first beneficiaries of the Victims’ Support Fund, the Presidential Initiative for the North-East, the Safe Schools Initiative and other developmental programmes which the Federal Government is evolving to address the damage, losses, setbacks, economic and social dislocations occasioned by the Boko Haram insurgency.

“We solicit your maximum cooperation. Let us work together. Evil can never overcome good. We will surely overcome Boko Haram,” he told them.

In his remarks at the meeting, Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State was said to have called for more sobriety, reflection and unity of purpose in the fight against terrorism in the country.

He pledged that his state would give Jonathan the fullest possible support for his efforts to address the problems caused by terrorism and the Boko Haram insurgency.

Dr. Pogu Bitrus presented the Chibok community’s address to the President.

Other speakers at the meeting included a district head, Mr. Zannamadu Usman, a member of the Borno State House of Assembly, Hon. Aminu Foni Chibok, parents of the abducted girls and three of the girls who escaped from their captors, Godia Simon, Dorcas Musa and Joy Bishara.

National Security Chiefs, Ministers and other senior government officials were also present at the meeting.

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-plan-to-visit-chibok-after-abducted-girls-freedom-jonathan/
Re: I Plan To Visit Chibok After Abducted Girls’ Freedom -jonathan by VantagePoint: 7:15pm On Jul 22, 2014
GEJ visiting Chibok won't really free the girls, true.
However, Mr.President, it is 100 days already.
Therefore, #BringBackOurGirls
Re: I Plan To Visit Chibok After Abducted Girls’ Freedom -jonathan by size38: 7:18pm On Jul 22, 2014
Who will free the Chibok girls that GEJ plan to Visit after their release? I have said it time without number that GEJ is an embarrassment to Mankind.

2 Likes

Re: I Plan To Visit Chibok After Abducted Girls’ Freedom -jonathan by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 22, 2014
size38: Who will free the Chibok girls that GEJ plan to Visit after their release? I have said it time without number that GEJ is an embarrassment to Mankind.

studied ur comment for a minute, bt dscovd u mst b a ýoung chap probablý nt above 25yrs cos of u wer, u wuld comprhnd dat GEJ is d bst leader dat ever witnesd in nigeria.
Go bak 2hstorý, cos dats d onlý thing dat dosnt lie
Re: I Plan To Visit Chibok After Abducted Girls’ Freedom -jonathan by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 22, 2014
unpredictedone:

studied ur comment for a minute, bt dscovd u mst b a ýoung chap probablý nt above 25yrs cos of u wer, u wuld comprhnd dat GEJ is d bst leader dat ever witnesd in nigeria.
Go bak 2hstorý, cos dats d onlý thing dat dosnt lie
...a kid he virtually is.

(1) (Reply)

My Own Theory On Buhari's Assasination Attempt / Witches/wizards’ Position On 2015, Insult To Nigerians / Adamu Muazu/pdp Gave N100m Per Imo State Assembly Member To Impeach Okorocha!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.