Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:43 PM

Is Lagos State A Muslim State? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos State A Muslim State? (17902 Views)

Jimi Agbaje Is Lagos PDP Governorship Candidate / What Is Lagos Doing With Its Subsidy Removal Fund? / Creation Of Adada State:a Balance Needed In The Equation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by OmoSekina: 11:37am On Oct 13, 2008
In as much as i dont usually delve into religious issues, i cannot but observe and make comments on this and indeed i dont mind whose ox is gored. I had taken out time a while back and looked at the state called "Lagos"; and about 2 months ago i told a gathering of friends that Lagos state is a muslim state. My friends came up with different opinions; some said they dont think so and some said they have never thought about it etc

However, i was only able to confirm my sincere opinion on Friday when Lagos state government held its government forum marking its 1st 500 days in office. I was chocked but not so shocked that in the commencement of the occasion as usual prayers would be administered. To my great surprise, prayer was only taken in islam. I thought about our leaders (so called). Could that have been an omission or what? As supposed, despite the fact that i was born and bred here in Lagos and the fact that this state has become so cosmopolitan; accommodating all tribes and tongues, knowing fully well that it was not only muslims that voted for the present administration.

I really find this very absurd and not acceptable to the people of this great state. For record purposes, if this was a mistake, we are not looking forward to that kind of mistake again.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by landis(m): 2:08pm On Oct 13, 2008
Lagos is a YORUBA state.

grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Oct 13, 2008
good question .
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by dayokanu(m): 5:35pm On Oct 13, 2008
Lagos is a Yoruba state where religion hardly causes ripples.

In most Yoruba families you have Xtians and Moslems and they have mixed well over the ages. Of all Yoruba states presently we have 5 govs who are Xtians and 1 moslem. in 1999, 3 moslems 3 xtians

The current political landscape might favour Moslems but think of it A Sir Michal Otedola was governor where he defeated Dapo Sarumi

In the primaries he got the ticket over Yomi Edu and Prof Femi Agbalajobi all these guys are moslems.

The prayer might be an oversight but Lagos is not a moslem state
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by ishmael(m): 6:15pm On Oct 13, 2008
Majority of Lagos state indigenes are muslims (not fanatical ones sha). Those that are christians only converted to christianity later.

if not true, why is it that most of the Lagos state past governors are muslims.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by ifyalways(f): 6:22pm On Oct 13, 2008
elodie:

good question .
Yes but we need an answer.
did what the OP state happen for real?
is lagos State an Islamic state then?
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by dayokanu(m): 6:31pm On Oct 13, 2008

Moslems are more political while the xtians are more into the corporate world. How many CEO's are Moslems?

The current political landscape might favour Moslems but think of it; A Sir Michal Otedola was governor where he defeated Dapo Sarumi

In the primaries he got the ticket over Yomi Edu and Prof Femi Agbalajobi.

Nigeria has been ruled by more Moslems mean Nigeria is a predominantly moslem state?

If you look at the names of our past leaders you would think Nigeria is a Moslem state. but if another person should look at the names of our contingent to the Olympics he would think Nigeria ia a Xtian state.

Looking at Nigeria sporting scene we find the Xtians dominating does that make Nigeria a Xtian country?
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Jarus(m): 7:16pm On Oct 13, 2008
Omo Sekina:

In as much as i don't usually delve into religious issues, i cannot but observe and make comments on this and indeed i don't mind whose ox is gored. I had taken out time a while back and looked at the state called "Lagos"; and about 2 months ago i told a gathering of friends that Lagos state is a muslim state. My friends came up with different opinions; some said they don't think so and some said they have never thought about it etc

However, i was only able to confirm my sincere opinion on Friday when Lagos state government held its government forum marking its 1st 500 days in office. I was chocked but not so shocked that in the commencement of the occasion as usual prayers would be administered. To my great surprise, prayer was only taken in islam. I thought about our leaders (so called). Could that have been an omission or what? As supposed, despite the fact that i was born and bred here in Lagos and the fact that this state has become so cosmopolitan; accommodating all tribes and tongues, knowing fully well that it was not only muslims that voted for the present administration.

I really find this very absurd and not acceptable to the people of this great state. For record purposes, if this was a mistake, we are not looking forward to that kind of mistake again.
If anything, Muslims are at the receiving end of this bypassing. In many organizations, political and corporate, both opening and closing prayers are said in Christian way. This is very common, so i don't know how this poster is making issue out of this. That doesn't make lagos a Muslim state.
By the way, I, for one, don't take all this issue of opening or closing prayers seriously. In fact, in teams I have led/anchored/coordinated in the past, I always tried to evade opening/closing prayers, and prefer the program start off straight. Pray in yourself if you want to.

Moslems are more political while the xtians are more into the corporate world. How many CEO's are Moslems? 

Muslims are equally doing well in the corporate world please. The likes of Wale Tinubu(Oando), Fola Adeola(founder of GTB),Mutiu Sunmonu(MD,Shell Nigeria), Dangote(President Dangote group) and many others are all Muslims and leading the corporate Nigeria
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by DeepZone: 7:49pm On Oct 13, 2008
Majority of Lagos state indigenes are muslims (not fanatically ones sha). Those that are christians only converted to christianity later.

@bold,
Islamic mafia, short and simple. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Jarus(m): 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2008
DeepZone:

@bold,
Islamic mafia, short and simple. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I feel disppointed at the way some people reason at times. Islamic mafia? Where? In Lagos,abi?
Oyo state is another state with a very great percentage of Muslims, but the state has been ruled by more Christians than Muslims, yet nobody is raising eyebrow. 4 Christians(Bola Ige,Olunloyo,Kolapo Ishola and Akala) and just two Muslims(Lam and Ladoja).

There are a sizeable number of Muslims in Ogun state as well(not up to Oyo though), yet a Muslim has never been elected Governor. Bisi Onabanjo,Segun Osoba(twice) and Daniel are all Christians. I expect us to have outgrown all these stupid arguments.

The Lagos case, I believe is just a coincidence or at most a mere reflection of the fact that more of the real Lagosians are Muslims.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by nigeria12: 8:05pm On Oct 13, 2008
I don't like talking religion in politics. but It is obvious that christian are more in lagos. but it may mean, yorubas families have both muslim and christian . even marriage too.  Abiola was muslim won 90+% in ondo state.

who ever held the program may have made a mistake.

I do not think a man religion should matter but what he as to do for people.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Mustay(m): 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2008
This topic had been discussed here previously: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-127121.64.html
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Jarus(m): 8:26pm On Oct 13, 2008

Re: Lagos Politics And Religion
« #32 on: April 14, 2008, 12:01 PM »

the Governor is a muslim and the wife a Christian . . .any biggie Huh

the House of Assembly is populated by mostly Christians . . .is anyone complaining Huh

most LG Chairmen are christians . . , any issue here Huh

most people that make up the State Exco are christians . . .so Huh

most people that make up the state exco of the AC are christians . . .anybody carry placard Huh

abeg make everybody face front jare . . .Lagos no get time for religious sentiments Cool

Answers your question
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by nigeria12: 8:51pm On Oct 13, 2008
Majority of Lagos state indigenes are muslims (not fanatically ones sha). Those that are christians only converted to christianity later.

That not true. most lagos indigenes are christian and the first religion that came to lagos is christianity. That why nearly all the street in lagos island as a christian name. one of my root is track to a street called palmchurch st in lagos. that tell you it is christian. the other is from ondo state.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by subice(m): 9:49pm On Oct 13, 2008
When will debates like this be a thing of the past? Must there always be an angle to everything?
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by tpia: 12:11am On Oct 14, 2008
subice:

When will debates like this be a thing of the past? Must there always be an angle to everything?

thank you.

How does one opening prayer make Lagos a Christian or Muslim state? I doubt the OP is familiar with Lagos at all.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 1:09am On Oct 14, 2008
This is a good question. Jakande, Tinubu, Fashiola have all been muslims---interesting!
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by tpia: 1:11am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 1:21am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

are these three the only Lagos governors you know?
They are definitely the majority of elected governors since the state was created.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by tpia: 1:25am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by subice(m): 1:37am On Oct 14, 2008
Lagos is not a religiously biased state and it should certainly stay that way. I didn't even know Fashola was a muslim until I saw it somewhere in the papers during a religious celebration and even then I only see him as a Nigerian who is governor of Lagos State. The main thing is whether he is performing or not, and religion does not influence that. Generally, to paraphrase an American commentator referring to his country, most Nigerians are moralistic (or in this case, religious) without being moral. All the religious and tribal angles to things is exhausting.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 2:43am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

care to tab the religion of all the Lagos governors?

The Christians on this thread should learn to let sleeping dogs lie. Some Lagos state governors are Muslim- please rate them by performance and not religion. They havent introduced sharia yet and so far havent indicated a desire to do so.
Lagos has some of the biggest megachurches in the country. Have the Muslim governors disturbed them or prevented anyone from joining any religion they like.

Most (all) elected Lagos state governors have been muslims, not some. The question is: is it by accident or design? Note, don't change the subject by talking about performance, that's not the issue here. The issue is whether Lagos state have always been ruled by muslims?
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by bawomolo(m): 2:50am On Oct 14, 2008
umm it's not that hard to understand, most of the indigenous families in lagos have been muslim. they have the political power but their policies are not based on religion.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by tpia: 2:55am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 3:11am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

I don't know why its so hard to understand for some people.
Naijaking1: does this answer your question, or are you still interested in picking a fight over the issue? Do you want me to ask about the performance of other southern states with Christian governors, or you'D prefer to wait for the Muslims on nairaland to ask you that?

My brother, I don't know why you think I'm here to pick a fight? Bawolomo made a good point that you have been too cynical to simply make, because you think that everybody that talks about religion in Nigeria is picking a fight. Performance, performace, that is the topic for another thread.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by tpia: 3:26am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by Kobojunkie: 3:28am On Oct 14, 2008
@Poster, I don't believe Lagos is necessarily a muslim state, but we do have a lot more muslims in office, than not. I mean if you go back the last 20 years, most 95% of the governors and deputy governors have been muslims. The muslim community has grow and expanded their influence in the state during the same time. I will not say it may never become a muslim state but I believe it is left to each group to decide what, if any, group will control the state.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 3:48am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

care to explain why performance isnt as important as religion when discussing Nigerian governors?
as per the bolded: your imagination is working overtime.

You can try all you want, but I wouldn't let you change the topic of this thread. I did not say performance is not important, I did not even say that Lagos governors have been poor performers. The topic is whether Lagos is a muslim state or not, and I remarked that most of the governors have been muslims.
If you dispute my ascertion that Lagos has been mostly ruled by elected muslim governors come with it.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by tpia: 3:56am On Oct 14, 2008
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 4:06am On Oct 14, 2008
tpia:

ok- Lagos is not a Muslim state even though many of the governors are Muslim, as is the current one. Not a Muslim state in the sense that Muslim state is understood to be as per the north. Do you need a more detailed answer than this?
however, Muslim or not, most Lagos governors have been able to separate religion and tribe from their official portfolios. That's why their religion isnt supposed to be a yardstick for [b]judging them[/b]. undecided

Judging them? Who's judging who? Whose talking about yardstick?
You're paranoid, and very determined to change this subject away from the fact that most, if not all civilian elected governors of Lagos state have been muslims.
Note, I have not said whether having muslim governors is good or bad, or whether they're doing well or not. I haven't even concluded that Lagos is a muslim state as in sharia; all I have said that raised your blood pressure was that most Lagos governors have been muslims---- a fact untill you disprove it.
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by plusQueen: 4:11am On Oct 14, 2008
naijaking1:

Judging them? Who's judging who? Whose talking about yardstick?
You're paranoid, and very determined to change this subject away from the fact that most, if not all civilian elected governors of Lagos state have been muslims.
Note, I have not said whether having muslim governors is good or bad, or whether they're doing well or not. I haven't even concluded that Lagos is a muslim state as in sharia; all I have said that raised your blood pressure was that most Lagos governors have been muslims---- a fact untill you disprove it.

ROFL.
he just called me paranoid a minute ago.
abeg dokita
Re: Is Lagos State A Muslim State? by naijaking1: 4:52am On Oct 14, 2008
He is paranoid and insecure.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Again: NYC Temp Accused Of Stealing Identities / Aregbesola To Pay March, April Salaries By Friday / Buhari ‘incompetent, Clueless, Lacks Direction’ – Aisha Yesufu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.