Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! (11854 Views)

Photo: The Power Of The Mind! Weird But Interesting / My Room Mates Brother Sleeps In A Weird Way! Should I Be Worried? (pictures) / Weird Facts You Ought To Know About Birthdays (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by alliyse(m): 10:25pm On Jul 24, 2014
[img]http://2.bp..com/-FDzDZjazEO8/U8YYjgb2GiI/AAAAAAAAAn4/z6jnSsp1dlk/s1600/boa+_+itsallisay_com.jpg[/img]

Boa constrictor is a close relative of anaconda and can be found in South and Central America. Boa constrictor lives in variety of habitats which includes:- deserts, tropical rainforests, savannas and areas near human settlements. It can also survive at different altitudes. Boa constrictor is also known as one of the most beautiful snakes in the world because of its colorful skin with interesting prints. High demand for boa's skin in the past resulted in reduced number of boas in the wild. They are placed on the list of endangered animals today.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-e1G7c8zN13I/U8YYia2HEnI/AAAAAAAAAnw/btU8DNmHIIo/s1600/boa+-+constrictor+-+itsallisay_com.jpg[/img]

Interesting Facts About Boa constrictor

1. Boa constrictor is a large snake:- It grows throughout entire life. Boa is 2 feet long at birth, but it can grow to the length of 10-13 feet. Boa weighs more than 100 pounds.

2. Body of boa constrictor can be tan, yellow, red, pinkish or green in color:- It is covered with lines, circles, diamond-like or oval shapes. Color and body prints depend on the habitat (they provide camouflage).

3. Boa constrictor has hooked teeth:- They are not used for chewing. Teeth are used for catching of the prey.

4. Boa constrictor has heat receptors:- They uses heat receptor for detection of warm-blooded prey. Other than that, boa uses taste of smell to find its victim. Taste of smell is located on its tongue.

5. Boa constrictor is nocturnal animal:- They are usually active during the night.

6. Boa constrictor can easily climb trees:- It spends part of its life in dense tree-tops. Boa is also an excellent swimmer, but it does not prefer living in the water.

7. Boa constrictor is mostly terrestrial animal:- Boa lives on the ground and moves slowly at the speed of only 1 mile per hour.

8. Boa constrictor is a carnivore:- They are meat-eaters. While they are young, boa constrictors eat smaller prey such as rats, mice and squirrels. When they reach adult size, they start to hunt and eat larger prey such as monkeys, wild boars and deer.

9. Boa is an excellent hunter:- Indigenous people of South America uses boa to eradicate pest, such as rodents. More facts after the pix......

[img]http://3.bp..com/-f_wVweRRihk/U8YYk0hwPZI/AAAAAAAAAoA/BxGglwWQuls/s1600/boa+constrictor+-+itsallisay_com.jpg[/img]

10. Boa constrictor is an ambush predator:- It hunts its prey using the factor of surprise. After catching the prey using its teeth, boa envelops the victim and squeezes the life out of it. It then swallows the prey in one piece.

11. Boa constrictor is a solitary creature:-

12. Mating season of Boa starts from April and ends in August:- When female is ready for mating, she releases specific odor to inform nearby males. Before mating, group of males wrestle to determine which one is the most dominant. Winner gets opportunity to mate.

13. Female gives birth to live babies. She can deliver up to 60 babies at a time.

Source:- http://www.itsallisay.com/2014/07/wildlife-interesting-facts-about-boa.html

2 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jul 24, 2014
I hate snakes! I hate snakes! I hate Snaaaaaakes! Arrrrrrghhhhh!

12 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by alliyse(m): 10:40pm On Jul 24, 2014
Ceasar1: I hate snakes! I hate snakes! I hate Snaaaaaakes! Arrrrrrghhhhh!

Snakes are quite animals. They are friendly as well. it depends on how friendly u are 2 them....

5 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by deltateam: 10:50pm On Jul 24, 2014

How old are you?

5 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jul 24, 2014
deltateam:

How old are you?

Your granpa knows better. Please do Mail him to confirm.

19 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jul 24, 2014
Cool Write Up.. I also hate snakes though.

3 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by ninovandross(m): 12:25am On Jul 25, 2014
alliyse:

Snakes are quite animals. They are friendly as well. it depends on how friendly u are 2 them....
seriously? So how can one be friendly to a black mamba?

9 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Mynd44: 3:39am On Jul 25, 2014
You forgot to mention that they are non-venomous and kill their prey via constriction. Then swallow whole.

Largely docile creatures and kept as pets by some

3 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Kalvan: 3:48am On Jul 25, 2014

That snake you hate will swallow you.
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by shadowwalker101: 3:50am On Jul 25, 2014
I hate snakes
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Nobody: 4:02am On Jul 25, 2014
Ma hear Boa constrictor for my doorstep na death dy worry am!!

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by melifew213(m): 4:29am On Jul 25, 2014
good delicacy yummy javascript:void(0);
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by damibravo(m): 4:35am On Jul 25, 2014
why this kine topic go make FP at midnite... now my roomie is making movements on the bed.....am scared o

4 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:39am On Jul 25, 2014
I love this snake! Its beautiful.

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by NaLaugh: 4:53am On Jul 25, 2014
I don't get along with snakes. When i see em' i bitchh-slap em. That's just how i roll
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by sod09(m): 5:05am On Jul 25, 2014
I like snakes documentary
BT I fear dem ooo

2 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by pricelessmr: 5:08am On Jul 25, 2014

You better read the passage properly and be informed, in readiness for any surprises.

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by xtervaganza(m): 5:13am On Jul 25, 2014
alliyse:

snakes are friendly?

That's cute

No be me and you

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Sanchez01: 6:09am On Jul 25, 2014
@OP, ALL snakes have heat receptors. The reason for this is probably a make up for their sight. Some snakes do this via the skin while some, their forked tongue. Other than this, they (including the Boa) can sense presence via vibrations.
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Agrika: 6:15am On Jul 25, 2014
I HATE snakes but dnt like when they are being killed

2 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by disloman(m): 6:22am On Jul 25, 2014
Snakes?My worst nightmare.
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by Nobody: 6:30am On Jul 25, 2014
I hate snakes
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by ichidodo: 6:40am On Jul 25, 2014
They are beautiful creatures with bright,colourful and glossy skin...When fed they can be very gentle and playful....Yes,they are known to bond well with their keepers..But, ofcourse they must be fed well REGULARLY....

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by AKMoney1(m): 6:44am On Jul 25, 2014
I will pass on topic like this sad

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by AKMoney1(m): 6:45am On Jul 25, 2014
ichidodo: They are beautiful creatures with bright,colourful and glossy skin...When fed they can be very gentle and playful....Yes,they are known to bond well with their keepers..But, ofcourse they must be fed well REGULARLY....

How many of this beautiful creatures do you have at home as pet?
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by ichidodo: 6:49am On Jul 25, 2014
AKMoney1:

How many of this beautiful creatures do you have at home as pet?
Several, but ofcourse they made good tasty meal....Boa meat has a lot of fat..

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by SmooshCHN: 6:50am On Jul 25, 2014
I so much hate them. But I spent 3hours watching a documentary about them.. They are so annoying. Imagine they c@ spend 1year under your bed without you knowing and can be your housemate for years. I don't like to see them dead though but I hate to see them around. And most importantly, their presence is and will never be Welcomed.

1 Like

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by dsmooth1(m): 6:55am On Jul 25, 2014
shocked do u say females givs birth to up to 60 ginibabies.... Symz am on a worng page....movement

2 Likes

Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by ebullientV(m): 6:57am On Jul 25, 2014
Snakes... Hate them
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by walex2bad(m): 6:59am On Jul 25, 2014
alliyse:

I smell Serpentine spirit..
Re: Weird Facts About Boa Constrictor!!!!!! by japhmanuel: 7:19am On Jul 25, 2014
alliyse:

forget that $hit, snake na snake, notin lyk friendly, go mek frnds wit black mamba na

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Office Did You Hold In Secondary School? / Occupy Nsukka: UNN Post-graduate Students Protest Hike In Fees [photos] / Admission into the school of nursing, university of Ilorin teaching hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.