Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,263 members, 7,815,430 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:18 PM

Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence (2187 Views)

The True, Peaceful Face Of Islam. / Kano Grand Mosque Attack, Muslims And Terrorism / 'Its A Peaceful Religion' - Moji Olaiya Converts To Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 6:06am On Jul 25, 2014
PROLOGUE

This topic will be updated at intervals. It is reminiscent of my hidden thread; Probed: Islamist Terrors, opened in February.

Passive Terrorism is more common but often unnoticeable and dangerous than Active Terrorism. Passive terrorism is a green mamba in the grass. Green mambas aren't noticeable but common and very venomous.

NOTE: This Topic May Be Unpalatable For The Sentimentalist
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 6:13am On Jul 25, 2014
An Analysis of the Phenomenon of Passive Terrorism

This article will address the phenomenon of passive terrorism and its relationship with active terrorism.

1-Introduction:
With the 9/11 attacks and the continued high number of terrorist-related occurrences
worldwide (incidents in the US linked to home-grown terrorism actually peaked in 2009)
The reaction of the Muslim community against the terrorists has been relatively weak in comparison to other situations in which this community felt that its religion was being insulted. The strong and violent reaction by Muslims in response to the publication of cartoons depicting the prophet Mohamed in a Danish newspaper, on one hand, and the lack of a similar response by this community against radicals such as Bin Laden, on the other, serve as evidence that terrorism can be embodied by much more than simply those people who perpetuate the attacks themselves.

3 Likes

Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 6:22am On Jul 25, 2014
This article addresses the issue of "passive
terrorism" and explains how such rather unresisting attitudes
by the Muslim community aggravate the terrorism problem.
The possible causes of passive terrorism, its types, and its dynamic interplay with active
terrorism are also addressed. The potential implications of passive terrorism are also discussed.

2-Definitions:
For the purpose of
understanding the phenomenon of Islamist terrorism, the author suggests that this phenomenon be viewed and analyzed under the context of the following
three categories:

1- Active attacks
2- Facilitation
3- Passive Terrorism
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 6:32am On Jul 25, 2014
Active terrorism is performing intentional
violent acts against non- combatants or civilians.
Facilitation and support for Islamist terrorism can take on the forms of ideological, financial, or logistical.
Passive terrorism is defined by the author as a form of indirect support for terrorism by silently condoning it or by using tactics that convey a message of support approval, or encouragement to the active terrorists without actually being involved directly in the attacks themselves. This typically takes the form of hidden cultural messages that can be understood by the radicals but in most circumstances go
undetected by outsiders, especially non-Muslim observers.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Decibel: 6:43am On Jul 25, 2014
Ok
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by vedaxcool(m): 7:42am On Jul 25, 2014

1 Like

Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 9:46am On Jul 25, 2014
3- Analysing the phenomenom of Passive Terrorism.

One likely factor for support of passive terrorism is the widely- held classical Islamic conception of God that is greatly influenced by 'fear' of his power.
Furthermore, from a cultural perspective, the Arab world places great emphasis on appearances of strength and weakness. The historical
importance of the ancient
military conquests to spread the religion in which non-Muslims were greatly defeated, certainly influences this. In fact, ancient Arabic poems, which still have importance in the Muslim world today, glorify and boast of tribal warfare successes.

This respect
for the role of power and victory has the tendency to make many Muslims happy with acts of terror, as these individuals view such acts as a form of victory over the "infidels." The desire to see this form of Islamic victory, even at a relatively low scale through terror attacks, satisfies to some extent the desire to see Islam as a superior power again.

1 Like

Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 9:54am On Jul 25, 2014
This 'false' feeling of victory further supports the confidence of these Muslims in Islam, as it is promised in the holy text, according to orthodox interpretations, that the believers will achieve victory over the non- believers.
This promise of victory tends to be interpreted in a military sense.

In addition, some in the Muslim world may support the violent acts because they have deep support for the concept of violent Jihad. Jihad is primarily and traditionally taught in mainstream/orthodox Islamic books as a form of war against the infidels.

Some of those who support violent Jihad may not be able to participate in the process of fighting themselves because they have earthly responsibilities or they may just prefer the present life to the next life. Both of these factors that prevent a person from participating in violent Jihad are heavily criticized in orthodox Islamic teachings.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 9:57am On Jul 25, 2014
This group may feel guilty that they cannot do Jihad for Allah. Therefore, the minimum they could do to support their religion is to send the Jihadists an indirect message of support by avoiding criticism of them.
Some others may remain passive because terrorism in their view may create pressure on the West
and force them to give political concessions benefitting the Muslim cause, such as exerting
more pressure against Israel in the Arab-Israeli conflict. In this case, the passive support for
terrorism would be to achieve a political gain.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 10:03am On Jul 25, 2014
In other situations some Muslims may be afraid that if they speak against the terrorists, they or their family members could be a target of the attacks.

In addition, the tribal mentality in the Muslim world may also make some unable to criticize their fellow Muslims, as it is shameful for them to publically criticize someone belonging to their own culture. One of the common sayings in the Muslim world that supports this way of thinking is actually a misquoted Hadith of the prophet Mohamed. It says, "support your Muslim brother either he was an oppressor or a victim".

This Hadith, as well as the tribal way of thinking, have made many in the Muslim world unwilling to openly criticize their fellow Muslim brothers.

In other situation some
Muslims may be afraid that if they speak against the terrorists, they or their family members could be a target of the attacks.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Rendezvou: 7:03pm On Jul 25, 2014
Moderators will soon hide or delete this thread. Indeed, you have hit the nail on the head.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 8:41am On Jul 26, 2014
4-Why Passive Terrorists Avoid Active Verbal Support For the
Active Terrorists:

In many cases, verbal support for the terrorists can put a person in
difficult circumstances with authorities. Voicing approval can also have negative results for a person, whether at work or in the community, especially if this person lives in the West. In addition, some Muslims may not be expressing their true beliefs out of fear of potential western
backlash against Muslim
communities. Since a popular desire is for an Islamic system
(Sharia Law) to be established in the West by gradually increasing
the size of the Muslim population there, the risk of backlash would
certainly impede the realization of this dream.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 8:50am On Jul 26, 2014
Remaining passive against the terrorists may also increase the
likelihood that some Islamic organizations in the West will receive financial support from
other Islamic organizations or
from individuals in the Muslim world. Furthermore, those who show active verbal support for the terrorists would be exposing themselves as non-moderates, thereby running the risk of losing western financial support given to non-profit organizations.

Therefore, staying passive is a win-win situation. It guarantees support from both the Islamists, who will appreciate and view these organizations' passive attitudes as a form of support for jihad, and from the West, who may mistakenly view these organizations as "moderates" who do not support terrorism.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 8:57am On Jul 26, 2014
5-Types of Passive Terrorism:

A: Lack of Powerful
Demonstrations Against the Terrorists:

On one hand, powerful
demonstrations erupted in the Muslim world to denounce the publication of cartoons in a Danish newspaper portraying
Prophet Mohamed, to criticize the pope for citing an anti-Muslim historical phrase and to object to the French
government's decision to ban the hijab in high schools. Yet on the other hand, since 9/11, there has not been ONE similar demonstration as powerful and passionate against Bin Laden and the other Islamic terrorists that have killed thousands of innocent victims, among which
include Muslims. In fact, there have been powerful demonstrations in several parts of the Muslim world in support of Bin Laden. This disparity only gives the terrorists a "green light" to plan even more attacks.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 9:06am On Jul 26, 2014
It is also fair to say that there were a few scattered demonstrations in the Muslim world against terrorism, however, they were very small in number and magnitude compared to the global nature of the demonstrations described earlier. In fact, the few Muslim demonstrations against terrorism could be attributed to the desire of the Muslim population in certain areas to protect their economical interests or to prevent a backlash against them rather than a genuine stand against Islamist terrorism.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 9:28am On Jul 26, 2014
If the Muslim's reaction in these demonstrations was genuine against the Islamic terrorists it should have happened immediately after September 11 rather than years after the event. The delayed reaction to September 11, and
the relatively weak and local nature of the former reactions, cast doubt if these few demonstrations were truly and in principle against Islamist
terrorism.

In other words, Muslims reacted like an 'Umma' (i.e. global reaction of the Muslim world) to defend Islam when they felt it was insulted and on the contrary their reaction was only of a sporadic and of limited nature when it was against Islamist terrorism.

This huge discrepancy in Muslim reaction to different situations further elucidates the problem of passive terrorism.

1 Like

Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 4:09pm On Jul 26, 2014
B-Denial:

Denying that Bin Laden and radical Muslims were behind the 9/11 attacks may express either a genuine belief that Muslims were not behind these attacks or may just be a form of passive
support for the terrorists.
In the latter case, a moral
dilemma exists. Particularly in the West, supporting Bin Laden can put a person in a difficult situation and possibly create backlash against him or against
the Muslim community at large.

Meanwhile, if someone were to admit that Bin Laden was actually behind the attacks, this person could very well be pressured on the spot to openly denounce him, and for many Muslims to do so would be paramount to betraying a fellow Muslim brother. In order to avoid this moral dilemma, it is simply easier to deny that Bin Laden was behind 9/11 to begin with!
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 3:20pm On Jul 27, 2014
C: Diversionary Tactics:

Another effective method used by the passive terrorists is the intentional use of misleading justifications for the existence of
terrorism. Such justifications include poverty, lack of
education, the Arab-Israeli conflict, US foreign policy, political instability and lack of democracy in many parts of the Muslim world. However, this could be used to divert the West's attention from the true root cause of the problem, which is the prevalence of radical Islamic teachings in the Muslim world.

This form of deception helps the passive terrorists achieve the following things:
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2014
1-

Decreases pressure on the Muslim world to revise Islamic teachings so that the ideological cause of the terrorism problem does not have to be confronted, thereby allowing radical ideology
to grow unopposed.

2- Economic gains:

The West may be fooled by these deceptive justifications and thus give more financial support to Muslim countries and organizations, wrongly thinking that such aid
will fight poverty and help to end terrorism.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2014
3- Political gains:

The West may exert more pressure on Israel if they were to accept the view that the Arab-Israeli conflict is the true cause of Islamic terrorism.
The West could also change its foreign policy in a way that is more supportive of the Muslim
world.

4-

Encourages the West to
pressure secular Arab regimes to be more democratic. A potential consequence of such democracy is that Islamist regimes could attain power easier.

It is important to note that the previously-mentioned justifications for terror, such as poverty and US foreign policy, do not answer the really imperative question: If such factors are the true causes of terrorism, why do non-Muslims in the Middle East who live in the same socio- economic and political circumstances as their Muslim neighbors not also contribute to terrorism and suicide bombings?
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Dewze(m): 8:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
There are just a few persons who does not hide from the truth such as this OP, especially on the issues of Islamic and muslim affairs.

Every attitude being described here is simply basic Human Nature. There is always a deep sense of solidarity toward who or what one perceives as his kind, not minding if that kind does right or wrong. What kills me about most muslims I meet (especially the ones I see here on NL) is the continual attempt to deny these basic human nature. They would rather choose to see the pointing out of these fundamental facts as an attack on Islam and muslims. So very few persons are willing, have the courage or even see it necessary to examine and re-examine themselves; human nature still I guess.

Basic human nature is no respecter of religion, tribe or affiliations. It simply respects a sound and understanding mind. So, let us deal with these problems by first of all having a sound understanding of what the problems really are.

Following.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by elektra(f): 11:37pm On Jul 27, 2014
I really hope this thread does not degenerate into some Islam bashing thread to avoid its deletion.
Usermane, I couldn't have said it better. The voice against Islamic terrorism is very weak in the Muslim community. I really wonder why they always claim not to be in support but are very sluggish to openly and actively condemn these activities.

I really feel that if the true followers of Islam speak up more actively against terrorism, they will drown out the false teachings some Muslims receive which lead to terrorist activity
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Empiree: 9:39am On Jul 28, 2014
usermane: This topic will be updated at intervals. It is reminiscent of my hidden thread; Probed: Islamist Terrors, opened in February.

Passive Terrorism is more common but often unnoticeable and dangerous than Active Terrorism. Passive terrorism is a green mamba in the grass. Green mambas aren't noticeable but common and very venomous.

NOTE: This Topic May Be Unpalatable For The Sentimentalist

Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Empiree: 9:42am On Jul 28, 2014
vedaxcool: www.mediamonitors.net/riadabdelkarim3.html

I think you need to ignore Usermane guy. He's like slowpoke who comes to masjid to cause chaos and create nuisance. I dont know if he's dump or something

1 Like

Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by vedaxcool(m): 9:51am On Jul 28, 2014
Empiree:

I think you need to ignore Usermane guy. He's like slowpoke who comes to masjid to cause chaos and create nuisance. I dont know if he's dump or something

100% agreed. Thats why I only posted a link.

1 Like

Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 28, 2014
author=Empiree
He is not a Fool,his Submissions are obviously the Construct of an astute and objective Mind,which is more than one can see in your Posts.

If you have a contrary Opinion;share it, resorting to Arguments ad-hominem just gives the Impression that you are too ignorant to have anything reasonable to contribute, and too obstinate to simply recognize that and move on.

1 Like

Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Empiree: 11:04am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 28, 2014
Empiree:

I would only agree with you bcuz i know that you dont know him. Ask Vex and others. We know him. He's a troll, nuisance and trouble maker who wants others to think the way he thinks. So pls look beyond my picture uploads. You may want to do research on him. However, you may like him. That will be your prerogative.
I know him,well; I follow him here on NL. My Point is that regardless of what you think of his Stance on Issues,insulting him is not the Way to go.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by Empiree: 11:27am On Jul 28, 2014
koonbey: I know him,well; I follow him here on NL. My Point is that regardless of what you think of his Stance on Issues,insulting him is not the Way to go.

Agree
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 12:54pm On Jul 28, 2014
Dewze:
So very few persons are willing, have the courage or even see it necessary to examine and re-examine themselves; human nature still I
guess.
Basic human nature is no
respecter of religion, tribe or affiliations. It simply respects a sound and understanding mind.
So, let us deal with these
problems by first of all having a sound understanding of what the problems really are

Thanks for the words of wisdom. See, objectivity is the key. Unfortunately, objectivity has no place in the fanatic muslim mindset.

elektra:
I really hope this thread does not degenerate into some Islam bashing thread to avoid its deletion.
Usermane, I couldn't have said it better. The voice against Islamic terrorism is very weak in the Muslim community. I really wonder why they always claim not to be in support but are very sluggish to openly and actively condemn these activities.

NOTED. Bashing is driven by sentiments, and sentiments as i mentioned in the OP has no room here. The point here is to educate, making all to wake up and smell the coffee.

Nice usermane, quiet empowering.

vedaxcool:
100% agreed. Thats why I only posted a link.

Recommend for me a book or theisis by an orthodox Islamic scholar that examines and debunk in details the concept of offensive Jihad in the Terrorist ideology. Thanks.
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2014
D: Theological Deception:

In the context of this article, this term refers to deceptive and incomplete theological information presented to Westerners to make them less likely to recognize the true threat of radical Islam. For example, after 9/11 many Islamic organizations and scholars argued that jihad is predominantly taught as a peaceful concept and that it mainly means internal struggle.
Even some encyclopedias on terrorism use the same terminology to define Jihad.

The following hadith of the Prophet Mohamed was typically used by such groups to convey
the peaceful understanding of
the word jihad: "You have come from the minor jihad to the major jihad."...then he said "it is the striving of the servant
against his desires."

Those who used this hadith to convey that jihad is taught as a
peaceful concept failed,
intentionally or not, to bring to light the following things:
Re: Passive Terrorism: The Peaceful Violence by usermane(m): 1:11pm On Jul 28, 2014
1-
According to authoritative Islamic scholars, this hadith is considered to be a weak or non-binding hadith.

2- The Prophet said, according to Sahih (accurate) hadith, "I have been commanded (by Allah) to fight all mankind until they testify that none has the right to be worshiped except Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah". According to the science of hadith, this particular passage is agreed upon (i.e. approved by Sahih by Al-Buchary and Muslim ; the two most authorative Hadith books in Sunni Islam). This level of hadith (Sahih) generally means that it is a very accurate
and binding one (unlike the former peaceful hadith).

This concealment of theological facts from westerners to avoid
confrontation of the radicalism problem while simultaneously teaching violent values to young Muslims via mainstream Islamic books serves as a form of passive support for terrorism.

This impedes the ability of the West to confront the reality of the terrorism problem.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Wife Insults And Threatens My Fiancee' / Marking The Death Anniversary Of Um Al-Mu'mineen, Sayyida Khadija (ra) / Quran 78:6-7 Is Clear Scientific Error

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.