Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,893 members, 7,817,627 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:49 PM

Things That Makes South Africa Unique - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Things That Makes South Africa Unique (1391 Views)

10 Shocking Fact About North Korea That Makes The Whole World Hate Them. / MUST Read:constitutional Provision That Makes Winning Difficult For Buhari / Fati Abubakar, Nigeria’s Most Unique First Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things That Makes South Africa Unique by s3nn2x(m): 10:57am On Jul 25, 2014
1. The world's biggest hospital is the Chris Hani - Baragwanath Hospital in Soweto.

2. South Africa is one of only 12 countries where tap water is safe to drink. Its tap water is rated the third best worldwide.

3. Pretoria has the second largest number of embassies in the world after Washington, D.C.

4. South Africa is the world's biggest producer and exporter of mohair.

5. The rand, the world’s most actively traded emerging market currency, has joined an elite club of 15 currencies - the Continuous Linked Settlement (CLS) - where forex transactions are settled immediately, lowering the risks of transacting across time zones.

6. South Africa mines deeper than any other country in the world, up to depths of 2.5 miles at the Western Deep Levels Mine.

7. It has the largest hydro-electric tunnel system in the world at the Orange Fish Rivers Tunnel.\

8. South Africa is the second largest exporter of fruit in the world.

9. Electricity costs are the second lowest in the world.

10. South Africa is the world's largest producer of macadamia nuts.

11. Officially, the youngest language in the world is Afrikaans. By the early-20th century Afrikaans had developed from Dutch, French and other influences into a fully fledged language with its own dictionary. After a mere 90 years, it is the second most spoken language in South Africa (Zulu is the most spoken, the Zulu people being the largest ethnic group).

12. South Africa is the world's biggest producer of gold, platinum, chromium, vanadium, manganese and alumino-silicates. It also produces nearly 40% of the world's chrome and vermiculite.

13. Durban is the largest port in Africa and the ninth largest in the world.

14. South Africa generates two-thirds of Africa's electricity.

15. There are about 280,000 windmills on farms across South Africa, second in number only to Australia.

16. The world's two largest platinum mines are located near Rustenburg.

17. While occupying 4% of Africa's landmass, South Africa boasts more than 50% of the cars, phones, automatic bank tellers and industrial facilities on the continent.

18. The Southern African Large Telescope (SALT), now rising from a Karoo koppie in Sutherland is the largest telescope in the southern hemisphere (and third largest in the world).

19. South Africa has the fourth largest coal reserves in the world. Its coal industry ranks sixth in the world in terms of output of hard coal and third in terms of seaborne international coal trade.

20. Currently, South Africa is the only country in the world that has voluntarily dismantled its nuclear arsenal.
South Africa has 19,004 miles of railway track - 80% of Africa's rail infrastructure.

21. South Africa has the oldest wine industry outside of Europe and the Mediterranean, featuring Chardonnays, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cinsault, Riesling, Shiraz, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinotage varietals.

22. The Rand Refinery is the largest refinery of gold in the world.

23. The South African oil company SASOL has established the only commercially proven oil from coal operations in the world.

24. The world's biggest producer of non-fuel minerals is South African company Anglo-American Corporation.

25. The University of South Africa UNISA is a pioneer of tertiary distance education and is believed to be the largest correspondence university in the world with 250,000 students.

26. Eskom, the national electricity utility, is the world's fourth largest in terms of both sales volume and normal capacity.

27. The De Beers Group of companies control more than 80% of the world supply of rough diamonds.

28. SABMiller ranks as the largest brewing company in the world by volume. It supplies up to 50% of China's beer.

29. Samancor Limited is the world's largest producer by sales of manganese and chrome products.

30. The Johannesburg Stock Exchange was the 7th best performing stock market in 2005, according to the World Federation of Exchanges.

31. Stellenbosch University was the first university in the world to design and launch a microsatellite.

32. South Africa is the sole producer of the Mercedes Benz C Class, right-hand drive vehicles.

33. KSDP Pentagraph is rated as the world's second best design company by British design magazine, 'Creative Review'. The company is responsible for the new-look packaging of 'Fanta' and design modifications of 'Coca-Cola' soft drinks worldwide.
http://zar.co.za/world.htm
Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by s3nn2x(m): 10:59am On Jul 25, 2014
I kinda wish having the biggest economy in Africa would translate to infrastructural development
Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by dotmanxp(m): 11:01am On Jul 25, 2014
last time i checked, nigeria has d best economy in africa. thanks for ur expository

1 Like

Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 11:16am On Jul 25, 2014
Chai. These are stuffs that tempt me to migrate to SA.

But if me and every other Nigerian migrates, who will develope our beloved Naija?

#TeamNaija

#Naija4Life

1 Like

Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by s3nn2x(m): 11:25am On Jul 25, 2014
dotmanxp: last time i checked, nigeria has d best economy in africa. thanks for ur expository
"Best" and "Biggest" are 2 different things ooooo.

1 Like

Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 25, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: Chai. These are stuffs that tempt me to migrate to SA.
But if me and every other Nigerian migrates, who will develope our beloved Naija?
#TeamNaija
#Naija4Life

You just spoke my mind mehn. . . Lol
Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 12:07pm On Jul 25, 2014
17. While occupying 4% of Africa's landmass, South Africa
boasts more than 50% of the cars, phones, automatic bank
tellers and industrial facilities on the continent.

I dont believe this undecided

2 Likes

Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Rossikki: 12:27pm On Jul 25, 2014
INNOisBACK:

yeah, there are a lot of lies and exaggerations in that post. Such as No 14. SA produces closer to half the continent's electricity not two thirds.

2 Likes

Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 27, 2014
Yet with all these they still fall behind Nigeria in terms of Largest economies..

Plz O ye Nigerian haterz...
Pack o..
The gates are wide open if you feel SA is better why not make ur home better..

Between there are more useless MTN sim cards than people in SA..

1 Like

Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 27, 2014
NigellusHosan: Yet with all these they still fall behind Nigeria in terms of Largest economies..

Plz O ye Nigerian haterz...
Pack o..
The gates are wide open if you feel SA is better why not make ur home better..

Between there are more useless MTN sim cards than people in SA..

Chineke. shocked

Stop giving yourself and country hope jor. angry

Ogbeni rest -_-
Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 27, 2014
Rossikki: yeah, there are a lot of lies and exaggerations in that post. Such as No 14. SA produces closer to half the continent's electricity not two thirds.

Why don't you bring your evidence for this? Or you are on your usual denial tactics. Nigeria and jealousy oops! No exaggerations heredear!
Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 27, 2014
INNOisBACK:

Believe it!

1 Like

Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 10:33am On Jul 27, 2014
FrancisTony:

Chineke. shocked

Stop giving yourself and country hope jor. angry

Ogbeni rest -_-

what is this thing ?
What does it know n y is it quoting me
Re: Things That Makes South Africa Unique by Nobody: 11:03am On Jul 27, 2014
NigellusHosan:

what is this thing ?
What does it know n y is it quoting me

LOL! grin

Nastiness.

(1) (Reply)

Why Mohammadu Buhari must be voted in (Must Read) - CramJones / No Jewish Sign On New N100 Note,jonathan Is Not Anti-muslim – Presidency Replied / How Buhari Constituted His Government Between 1982-1984 When Head Of State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.