Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,352 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 (30848 Views)

Miss Universe 1964 Bikini Photo And Compare Them To Today's Photos / Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 / Miss Universe Beauty Pageant 1964 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by 9jahubcom(m): 7:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
Old sch
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by zeelo2014: 7:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
hmmmm. I smell malpractice on Nairaland, made fp with barely 4 comments, a stake gist at that.
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Ijawboi(m): 7:04pm On Aug 01, 2014
How many times we go see this picture for front page?
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by jakiedudu(m): 7:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
I remember those good old days smiley

1 Like

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Moreena(f): 7:05pm On Aug 01, 2014
good old days indeed d only constant thing is change#Miss Holland those shoes ehn LWKMD#
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by zicoraads: 7:07pm On Aug 01, 2014
This is stale. This sh1t has been here already.
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Mudley313: 7:08pm On Aug 01, 2014
1964 - Miss Nigeria (Edna Park), her country's first delegate to Miss Universe, wrote in her diary that she entered the contest to "win the crown." Her self-confidence was shattered the night the semifinalists were selected. She collapsed in tears on stage when she was not announced as one of the top 15 and spent the night in a Miami hospital under sedation. The Nigerian ambassador’s wife offered her this consolation: "All the judges are white and they aren’t really competent to judge dark girls’ beauty."

Miss Nigeria in a happier moment, performing a traditional Nigerian dance for the other contestants.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by joshrare(m): 7:08pm On Aug 01, 2014
It is now a glorified prostitution.
There are so many untold stories in pageantry these days...
Pageantry at any level these days involves some bed sharin

1 Like

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Mudley313: 7:10pm On Aug 01, 2014

1 Like

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by fucklikant101(m): 7:17pm On Aug 01, 2014
I have seen this thread on FP more than 100 times, I am sure the MODS comes on OP face every friday...Hot come

11 Likes

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 01, 2014
grin grin grin grin

See as she get muscle for hand grin grin grin grin

Definitely an Igbo girl grin grin grin grin

I am Igbo o!
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Nobody: 7:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
Raxxye: It's called evolution! There's no way new trends would have emerged in other sectors while beauty contest would stand still. I love what we have now!

By the way, how many times is this picture going to come on FP? Didn't I see this here some two weeks ago?

seconded..

btwn...i love watching the pageants in as much as it includes bikini display tongue

i love d caribean bikini ladies...yummy tongue

1 Like

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Hydronium(m): 7:22pm On Aug 01, 2014
im speechless...
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Rufex07(m): 7:33pm On Aug 01, 2014
Wow!
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Caracta(f): 7:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
TheMasterpiece: Actually, that's not the regular dressing; the picture shows them in their national costumes. The Best National Costume award (BNC) was worn by Miss Holland. In the picture below, are some of the same contestants in what could pass as todays's dressing, nothing much changed.

God bless you for this picture. Nigerians are always quick to jump into immaterial comparisons. A little research wouldn't hurt.

Beauty contests have always been about the body.

Stale thread. Stale news.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 01, 2014
mgbeke lookin' ladies angry angry
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by tpia1: 7:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
TheMasterpiece: Actually, that's not the regular dressing; the picture shows them in their national costumes. The Best National Costume award (BNC) was worn by Miss Holland. In the picture below, are some of the same contestants in what could pass as today's dressing, nothing much changed.

The picture you posted shows the swimwear part.

The pageants don't feature that type of attire anymore- only bikinis.

So yes, quite a lot changed.
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Nonybb: 7:40pm On Aug 01, 2014
And today we are celebrating Nvdity calling it Beauty
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by mstik(f): 7:41pm On Aug 01, 2014
I'm really surprised too, because I created this thread long ago and i don't know how it got into fp now. And I can recall seeing this topic, by another poster some time ago.
Caracta:

God bless you for this picture. Nigerians are always quick to jump into immaterial comparisons. A little research wouldn't hurt.

Beauty contests have always been about the body.

Stale thread. Stale news.
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by January27(f): 7:44pm On Aug 01, 2014
Blackchampion: Luks like d 9ja contestant tied wrapper. #Observation though
yeah, she tied aso oke

1 Like

Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by dejavski(m): 7:46pm On Aug 01, 2014
Burnaaboi: Lol

the damsel is proudly yoruba....oh i mean grand mother*winks*

Great Grandmother sef grin
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by kobonaire(m): 7:48pm On Aug 01, 2014
This whole thread is a repeat from last week
https://www.nairaland.com/1829927/photo-day-nigeria-miss-universe
... please we have already discussed how they look like C&S members tongue
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by kobonaire(m): 7:51pm On Aug 01, 2014
Mudley313: ... She collapsed in tears on stage when she was not announced as one of the top 15 and spent the night in a Miami hospital under sedation....
wow all because of a beauty contest, now if person die what will be her reaction??
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by berbs113(f): 7:51pm On Aug 01, 2014
Nawa ooo.... In many years to come even the present miss Universe pictures go wowo pass all dis ones oooo...
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 01, 2014
My lady I have 1980 Times and Economy magazine where you will see the Winner of the Worlds beauty pageant putting on only bikini. The spaghetti type...

That picture.should.be their traditional attire. Pagents have phases as everyone knows.

Not to say I encourage what Nigerian ladies wear these days.
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by oldenglish: 7:53pm On Aug 01, 2014
Burnaaboi: Lolthe damsel is proudly yoruba....oh i mean grand mother*winks*
Her name is Edna Park probably from Niger Delta of today.
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by houstonia(m): 8:06pm On Aug 01, 2014
Truth being told that lady wouldnt attract me as at the time.
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by MaxWellStores(m): 8:26pm On Aug 01, 2014
mstik: compare to now....

U so ryt! To top it, they even coined a 'cocky' phrase for it.., 'jet-age!'

That phrase 's the reason for all the stories-that-touch-the-heart we read about! Hmmm!
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Archildao: 8:35pm On Aug 01, 2014
majamajic: Beauty was not about being naked, unlike now.
...neither was it about bleached skin
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Burnaaboi(m): 8:36pm On Aug 01, 2014
dejavski:

Great Grandmother sef grin
...naso ...lol
Re: Photo Of The Day: Nigeria At The Miss Universe Contest In 1964 by Jovie: 8:39pm On Aug 01, 2014
na wa oh...but truly this is not the first time this pic is on front page......

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Erico Anthony & Silver Onyinyechi Ezenezi Win Mr And Miss Nigeria International / Karen Igho's Outfit To Tiwa & Tee Billz's Wedding / Joshua Agai - Nigerian Male Model - (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.