Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,907 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto (20066 Views)

Ebola Outbreak: Lagos To Provide Insurance Cover For Health Workers - See More / Liberian Dies In Morocco Of Ebola - Internal Affairs Minister Discloses / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by prettyprettywow: 1:31am On Jul 26, 2014
In spite of the imminent threat of the Ebola Virus Disease in Lagos, striking medical doctors under the auspices of Lagos State branch of the Nigerian Medical Association, have said they will not suspend the ongoing strike. The Chairman of the Association, Dr Tope Ojo, said the ongoing strike was not called because of Ebola and cannot be called off because of the threat of the viral infection in the state.

He said, “We are not on strike because of Ebola. It was never part of our demands. It wasn’t our fault.” However, he said the doctors would continue to partner with the State government to monitor the trend of the disease to check its spread. Ojo, who spoke at a press briefing organised by the newly elected officials of NMA in the state blamed the on-going crisis in the health sector on the Federal Government’s mismanagement of the sector.

“Why should a government be willing to concede the headship of the medical institutions to the hands of allied health workers? Will the same government not concede to a hostess the right to fly a plane or Court bailiff the post of a judge or the head of a university maintenance unit to be the vice chancellor because of the so-called opportunistic explanation of a team work?”

Speaking on the contentious issue of granting the prayers of other health workers to become consultants, Ojo said that decision of the government if allowed will only create unending anarchy. “The title ‘Consultant’ in medical practice is preserved exclusively for a doctor that has gone through a minimum of six years excruciating full time, postgraduate academic training.

He added that a situation where doctors are paid N5000.00 monthly allowance for hazard is not only laughable but unbelievable. Ojo said, “A doctor’s life can be lost in an instance when exposed to fatal illnesses such as Ebola, Lassa fever or he may be subjected to a life-long suffering from HIV or Hepatitis B infection.”

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2014/07/wont-call-strike-ebola-virus-threat-lagos-nma/

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Onegai(f): 3:28am On Jul 26, 2014
Fear.

Nigerians don't like risking their lives for anything. Have you seen LUTH, GH Island or any GH? Do we even have protective suits for hazardous illnesses? Health workers are more likely to catch it than regular people. So the strike will linger and doctors will refuse to go back.

My brother has already given out tips: I've got hand sanitizer and I may end up getting plastic gloves and a face-mask. No-one is sure if it can turn airborne at close contact (100m), which is what to expect if you use the Lagos public transport. And danfo conductors, wetin concern am with hand sanitizer, even the girl who sold me mine at the phramacy was telling me "only Jesus saves" and not using hand sanitizer till I eyed her, she laughed and used a bit. And Nigerians are forever coughing/sneezing into their hands or turning away to their side to do so/spit, then wiping on their clothes and handing you money.
Our hospitals aren't equipped to deal with this and should they find 5 more victims, most will shut down in panic (those head matrons at GH will be the first to abscond).

33 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Randy100: 5:20am On Jul 26, 2014
It ok cos i know that doctors are not invisible to ebola virus.
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Smartsyn(m): 5:50am On Jul 26, 2014
Heartless mufus, not in anyway different from our politicians..

6 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by jayseehe(m): 5:51am On Jul 26, 2014
heartless doctors

12 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by bigass(f): 5:51am On Jul 26, 2014
Nice one
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Morotov1(m): 5:52am On Jul 26, 2014
Will hate it when NMA swallows their own spits soon.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by darlingfather(m): 5:56am On Jul 26, 2014
Opportunity for these idiots to press their demands! Mtcheewwww,God is watching u guys NMA.

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by jonescyras(m): 5:57am On Jul 26, 2014
This Ebola seems superior to Hiv o... Disease self dey upgrade...abeg wetin person go do?

3 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by try69: 5:57am On Jul 26, 2014
Atimes it's better to not say anything, you'd make more sense keeping shut..

2 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by shadowwalker101: 5:57am On Jul 26, 2014
Wicked ppl they call themselves doctors
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by alotofgrace(m): 6:02am On Jul 26, 2014
lazy bones

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by dexterinc2003: 6:04am On Jul 26, 2014
These 'johesuites' above no dey tire?
How many of u talking trash are willing 2 get in A bus with a confirmed ebola virus infected patient for just 1 minute?
But yall can say anything about drs who are locked up in wards all day wit patients wit all sorts(hepatitis,hiv,ebola,lassa) for N5,000 monthly hazard allowance(diaris goduoo)...
As a matter Of fact i think all health workers(cleaners included)should recieve a hazard allowance of nothing less than N100,000.
Not some ppl fighting 2 head hospitals or 2 be called consultants...get ur priorities right people.
PS: ebolavirus has no cure presently...once you get it,YOU WILL DIE!!

32 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by tunesoft(m): 6:11am On Jul 26, 2014
jayseehe: heartless doctors
Heartless nigerians...like docs are not humans too...

30 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by YoursGEJ(m): 6:19am On Jul 26, 2014
Lol you want make dem die?
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by pluto3(m): 6:22am On Jul 26, 2014
make nurse consultants n d lab scientists dat are now heading d hospitals do d job na.... foolish nigerians.... dats y dis country has refused to progress....

18 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by jayseehe(m): 6:22am On Jul 26, 2014
tunesoft:
Heartless nigerians...like docs are not humans too...
I guess you are a doctor
it's the average man on the street that suffers this NMA strike most
it doesn't affect the FG, they don't patronise u guyz
it only affects his political career a little

5 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by jeffizy(m): 6:24am On Jul 26, 2014
Medical professionals, una too do!
Why?
Only you dem dey cheat?
I think you guys are becoming annoyingly greedy and getting a yard too megalomaniac for my liking.

At the end of the day, it's all about a grand scheme to promote your shabby private hospitals.

Verminz.

12 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 6:27am On Jul 26, 2014
Lab rats/scientists... do the needful. Since you want Same title and privileges as doctors, then do their work.

12 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by osjoshua(m): 6:30am On Jul 26, 2014
o God,I don't want to hear that name Ebola again....how can someone wake up this early morning with Ebola on FP...(close tabs)

1 Like

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by deols(f): 6:36am On Jul 26, 2014
The doctors make demands. The government should reason and provide them for the benefit of all.

Doctors work 24/7 taking care of their patients but these patients seem to care less about what happens to those doctors.

In Liberia, the chief doctor in charge of treating people with the Ebola is said to be under treatment for the same ebola virus.

How can a Nigerian doctor, who was never appreciated all the while, go ahead and be involved when all of their demands for better healthcare infrastructure, for remuneration and for the protection of the dignity of their practice have been denied them. The same Nigerian populace, who suffer more from all these should be drumming the need to see to the needs of the doctors into the government's ears but they are too driven by sentiments and their judgemental attitude to see what is really going on.

People are dying in case none is close to you due to these strikes and the doctors have nothing to lose since the private hospitals are owned by them. Nigerians should be asking the government to do what is right!

Nurses, pharmacists etc are not consultants. They are doing almost nothing at the hospitals right now.

The dignity of the great profession must be protected.and Doctors have every right/conscience to do that.

The government has to see reason and the populace need to be reasonable as well.

God bless Nigeria.

46 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Yinkay: 6:37am On Jul 26, 2014
dexterinc2003: These 'johesuites' above no dey tire?
How many of u talking trash are willing 2 get in A bus with a confirmed ebola virus infected patient for just 1 minute?
But yall can say anything about drs who are locked up in wards all day wit patients wit all sorts(hepatitis,hiv,ebola,lassa) for N5,000 monthly hazard allowance(diaris goduoo)...
As a matter Of fact i think all health workers(cleaners included)should recieve a hazard allowance of nothing less than N100,000.
Not some ppl fighting 2 head hospitals or 2 be called consultants...get ur priorities right people.
PS: ebolavirus has no cure presently...once you get it,YOU WILL DIE!!

Will the hazard allowance protects them from the hazard, it will rather make sense if the strike is about equiping the government hospitals better.

11 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 26, 2014
Lecturers did not call off their strike when students started turning armed robbers and kidnappers, so why should doctors call off strike because of ebola?

26 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by deols(f): 6:49am On Jul 26, 2014
jayseehe:
I guess you are a doctor
it's the average man on the street that suffers this NMA strike most
it doesn't affect the FG, they don't patronise u guyz
it only affects his political career a little

That is why Nigerians should tell the government to be reasonable.

Imagine spending up to 9yrs of your life in medical school onlyto get into a crappy hospital for work with no infrastructure and then have to 'compete' with people who spent three years in training as support staff, to then come ahead asking to boss you, in something they were not trained for?

27 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by deols(f): 6:52am On Jul 26, 2014
darlingfather: Opportunity for these idiots to press their demands! Mtcheewwww,God is watching u guys NMA.

Did u really say, Idiots??

I bet it that even when given a dictionary, you still might not get it.

19 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by mrking3(m): 6:54am On Jul 26, 2014
God help us ... Now I can see ... End time is at hand!
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by johnwarax(m): 6:55am On Jul 26, 2014
Yinkay:

Will the hazard allowance protects them from the hazard, it will rather make sense if the strike is about equiping the government hospitals better.

It will not. It will act as a form of compensation to them.

And moreover an average doctor works 24hours for 15days in a month and 12hours for the other 15days, that is to say they have only another 12hours for 15days to spend with their family, so me think they should be paid N1million for hazard.

And these nurses only works based on night/day shift for 5days in federal hospitals.

Lecturers receives not less than 40k in my school as hazard allowee.

13 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by 500GP: 6:59am On Jul 26, 2014
“Why should a government be willing to concede
the headship of the medical institutions to the
hands of allied health workers? Will the same
government not concede to a hostess the right
to fly a plane or Court bailiff the post of a judge
or the head of a university maintenance unit to
be the vice chancellor because of the so-called
opportunistic explanation of a team work?”

FOOLISH PRESIDENT EVER RULETH - GEJ

10 Likes

Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by Nobody: 7:00am On Jul 26, 2014
Re: Why We Can’t Call Off The Strike Because Of Ebola Outbreak – Lagos Medical Docto by EddyNumerouno(m): 7:03am On Jul 26, 2014
All I read is "sick Nigerians are our leverage, the more they are, the greater our bargaining power will be"

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How To Naturally Get Pink Lips. / COVID-19: Three New Cases In Ogun Are Togo Returnees – Commissioner / 162 New COVID-19 Cases, 176 Discharged And 3 Deaths On Sept 5 - (1557 Tested))

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.