Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You (7632 Views)

Who Can Help Design A Logo For Our Fast Growing Social Network? / How To Choose A Logo Designer / Design A Logo For My Company And I Will Pay 10,000 naira. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by erad(m): 3:30am On Jul 26, 2014

The initial lack of customers and cash flow often causes new small business owners to put off designing a logo and marketing materials professionally "until they get a few clients" or "until they get started." Unfortunately, designing their own marketing materials when they launch their businesses instead of having them professionally created will make getting those initial clients more difficult and may result in a business that will not succeed.

Many entrepreneurs choose to design their own marketing materials when they launch their businesses, especially by creating their first business card. Or sometimes they will have an amateur designer, friend, or relative create the design. There are several reasons why this is not the best idea. An amateur logo design and business card can make your business more likely to fail for a number of reason.

Your business will not look stable. It will appear to be more likely to fold or to fail. Clients will not have confidence in doing business with you. Would you do business with someone who seems to be on unstable footing and who might not be in business by the end of your project or after you have purchased an item?

You will look like a very small business. Large, successful businesses would never consider doing business without professional, originally designed marketing materials. Using materials that are not professionally designed (i.e., Microsoft or Vistaprint templates) makes your business appear even smaller and can possibly indicate that you cannot perform to or meet the standards required.

You will look unpolished and rough. Not having a professional "look and feel" can make it appear as though your business does not matter to you. Customers may get the impression that you do not care about the way your business presents itself, which might indicate that you would not care about the quality of your work or the way that your work reflects upon their business.

You will look unfocused. Unprofessional, uncoordinated marketing materials can make your business look "jumbled" or confused. If you have a business card with one look and feel and a Web site with another, this creates a confused—and confusing—look and feel for your business. This can also cause an identity crisis for a small business. When looking at your differently designed materials, potential clients may be fooled into thinking that they are looking at materials that represent different companies.

About half of all businesses fail within their first few years. One source of failure that is commonly cited by experts is sloppy or ineffective marketing. If your marketing materials do not stand out from those of your competitors, your sales will suffer.

When you start a business, you need to create the quickest possible route to business success. A logo helps to create this by contributing to your business's visibility, credibility, and memorability—three factors that will help your business to grow and achieve success. So, while putting off your logo development may seem like a prudent idea from a cash-flow point of view, it could result in your business never getting off the ground. It can also lead to your business folding when it would otherwise succeed.

If you think that you can't afford to design a logo when starting your business, consider the outcomes—how can you afford not to?

Source; http://www.elf-design.com/article-No-Logo.html

Check the portfolio(s) of Nairaland logo designers here; https://www.nairaland.com/1823110/nairaland-portfolio-logo-designers

4 Likes

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by moshoodn(m): 6:23pm On Jul 27, 2014
Erad... Thanks for the insight.

Please, I've got somethings to ask.

This is my third year running in my biz and I wanna step it up to a bigger level, hence I need to get myself a proper brand logo and discard the old.

Now, how can I get a logo that fits into my different arms of biz like Dangote. He does a single logo for his pastas, cements, sugars, noodles etc.

Let say I have an ICT centre, a laboratory and a training centre all with the same prefix ie Planet Xylics ICT Centre, Planet Xylics Laboratories and Planet Xylics Training Centre. And I would want a meaningful logo that can represent all and can easily be identified with.

I'll appreciate your prompt response.

Thanks.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by erad(m): 9:24pm On Jul 27, 2014
moshoodn: Erad... Thanks for the insight.
Please, I've got somethings to ask.
This is my third year running in my biz and I wanna step it up to a bigger level, hence I need to get myself a proper brand logo and discard the old.
Now, how can I get a logo that fits into my different arms of biz like Dangote. He does a single logo for his pastas, cements, sugars, noodles etc.
Let say I have an ICT centre, a laboratory and a training centre all with the same prefix ie Planet Xylics ICT Centre, Planet Xylics Laboratories and Planet Xylics Training Centre. And I would want a meaningful logo that can represent all and can easily be identified with.
I'll appreciate your prompt response.
Thanks.

Its something better discussed with whoever you'll be giving the logo design job to. The designer will assist you with a design brief questionnaire and he can give you suggestions on ideas he thinks will encompass all sections of your business as well as send a direct message to clients at the first glance.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by moshoodn(m): 9:34pm On Jul 27, 2014
erad:

Its something better discussed with whoever you'll be giving the logo design job to. The designer will assist you with a design brief questionnaire and he can give you suggestions on ideas he thinks will encompass all sections of your business as well as send a direct message to clients at the first glance.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by moshoodn(m): 9:38pm On Jul 27, 2014
erad:

Thanks. Can you help me with it?

Besides, as a designer, looking objectively at the Dangote Eagle logo, does it effectively communicate for all its different arms.

Thanks.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by erad(m): 9:47pm On Jul 27, 2014
moshoodn:

Besides, as a designer, looking objectively at the Dangote Eagle logo, does it effectively communicate for all its different arms.

Thanks.

Mail me at darefunflick@yahoo.com.
Dangote's logo consists of an eagle over an horizon... dominance, agility and service. The designer's might give a different explanation but thats what I got from it.

1 Like

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by moshoodn(m): 10:22pm On Jul 27, 2014
erad:

Mail me at darefunflick@yahoo.com.
Dangote's logo consists of an eagle over an horizon... dominance, agility and service. The designer's might give a different explanation but thats what I got from it.

Thanks Erad.

Just mailed you.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by jayseehe(m): 5:32am On Jul 28, 2014
true talk

I love simple logos
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Dominionng(m): 5:40am On Jul 28, 2014
Nice..
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by NaLaugh: 5:47am On Jul 28, 2014
True.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by TRADELYN: 5:53am On Jul 28, 2014
grin

KiV

#From research findings here, many will not take it seriously. So expect few comments and Views...

# This thread is very good as even individuals need to work on their Logo/Brand as well!!!
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by VolvoS60(m): 6:05am On Jul 28, 2014
Not sure I agree with the OP. I spent quite a lot of time coming up with my business stationery et al. It seems to have come out fine and I know nothing about graphic design or brand management.

I would like to think entrepreneurs would be more concerned with the nuts and bolts of making their businesses work - getting product out and making sure it 'does what it says on the tin'. Solving complaints promptly and without excuses. Keeping communication channels open and keeping customers informed about their orders and any challenges faced. Quality control. Cash flow. etc.

These issues could make or break you in those industries that want quality products and don't care about brand management or media frenzy.

4 Likes

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by osjoshua(m): 6:10am On Jul 28, 2014
what about akara business

1 Like

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by VocalWalls: 6:21am On Jul 28, 2014
Its all about choice

But then again, a logo and a complimentary card is quite ideal.

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Afrocatalyst: 6:34am On Jul 28, 2014
Even akara business needs a logo if you want to move it higher.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 28, 2014
Yea... Logo Asin Trademark..
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Knownpal(m): 7:48am On Jul 28, 2014
Hmmm.. All biz got to be Logolized.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Bank450(m): 7:59am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Nobody: 8:06am On Jul 28, 2014
People, people, people! Not all businesses need a logo. Does Nairaland really have a logo? No.

Defining the brand of your business to your "target" audience should be the highest priority. Many people make the mistake of just giving the job straight into the hands of a logo or graphic designer and leaving them with the task of defining your business for you. Will you be able to trust another parent to determine the needs of your own child and meet them adequately? Will another parent ever know your child the way you know them? NO! Why entrust your "business baby" to an outsider for definition?

What's the correction? Look for a brand consultant and hire them. They know how to ask the right questions to unravel the real meat of your business. So, after that, then you can invite the logo/graphic designer. SIMPLE smiley

2 Likes

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by GlorifiedTunde(m): 8:10am On Jul 28, 2014
www.eaglesdirectng.com branding at its peak
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 28, 2014
moshoodn:

Thanks.

Dangote's brand is well-defined first. That's what guided the brand. Don't design a logo first. You'll waste your money and time. Define your brand first, then let that guide you. smiley

1 Like

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Bigdreams(m): 8:18am On Jul 28, 2014
Great insight.

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by erad(m): 8:24am On Jul 28, 2014
TheWisest: People, people, people! Not all businesses need a logo. Defining the brand of your business to your "target" audience should be the highest priority. Many people make the mistake of just giving the job straight into the hands of a logo or graphic designer and leaving them with the task of defining your business for you. Will you be able to trust another parent to determine the needs of your own child and meet them adequately? Will another parent ever know your child the way you know them? NO! Why entrust your "business baby" to an outsider for definition?

What's the correction? Look for a brand consultant and hire them. They know how to ask the right questions to unravel the real meat of your business. So, after that, then you can invite the logo/graphic designer. SIMPLE smiley

I guess you've being mixing with the wrong set of mediocre designers. A real designer does more of researching than designing when it comes to a logo and creating marketing materials. But most people want designers that will charge you cheap prices, how do you expect to get the best?

Creating a logo is 90% research and 10% design. Your designer should serve as your consultant and the both of you should have extensive chats on what you want for your business, what he can offer and the possibilities.

2 Likes

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 28, 2014
GlorifiedTunde: www.eaglesdirectng.com branding at its peak

Dear Colleague, you forgot the first rule of Relationship Marketing: Educate your customers first before you advertise. I'm a Branding Consultant but I didn't just badge in with my advert. Just a tip friend :-)

1 Like

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by moshoodn(m): 8:32am On Jul 28, 2014
TheWisest:

Dangote's brand is well-defined first. That's what guided the brand. Don't design a logo first. You'll waste your money and time. Define your brand first, then let that guide you. smiley

Thanks TheWisest...

How can you effectively define your brand without a corresponding logo?

Thanks in anticipation.
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 28, 2014
erad:

I guess you've being mixing with the wrong set of mediocre designers. A real designer does more of researching than designing when it comes to a logo and creating marketing materials. But most people want designers that will charge you cheap prices, how do you expect to get the best?

Creating a logo is 90% research and 10% design. Your designer should serve as your consultant and the both of you should have extensive chats on what you want for your business, what he can offer and the possibilities.

Lol! Are you kidding me?! Ok, first of, I'm not a designer. And I'll never be. I'm a Brand Consultant, I have a degree in that discipline and I love my work! Branding is about creating something you can't see but you can feel. It's a WIDE field that even corporate giants have the positions of Brand Managers. So friend, a designer cannot be a Brand Consultant. Stick with one smiley
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by bosunjohns(m): 8:32am On Jul 28, 2014
Getting a good designer who would give you that edge seems difficult!
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by erad(m): 8:44am On Jul 28, 2014
TheWisest:

Lol! Are you kidding me?! Ok, first of, I'm not a designer. And I'll never be. I'm a Brand Consultant, I have a degree in that discipline and I love my work! Branding is about creating something you can't see but you can feel. It's a WIDE field that even corporate giants have the positions of Brand Managers. So friend, a designer cannot be a Brand Consultant. Stick with one smiley

Noted! I never meant to undermine your field and I never knew it was so wide. My apologies
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 28, 2014
moshoodn:

Thanks TheWisest...

How can you effectively define your brand without a corresponding logo?

Thanks in anticipation.

Mostly a brand is about the emotional connection your product or company creates with consumers. Nairaland creates this sense of communality and camaraderie. Brands make your customers see your product as more than a product and something they need in their lives. Do you know Nairaland is worth $2million? That's what branding does. It gives your products premium value - meaning, if you sell branded akara for N100 each, the brand is the part that commands N90, and the fried beancake commands N10. So it's the job of a Brand Consultant to help you create the brand for your business. A logo is just a graphical representation of your brand. A logo can't exist without a brand as a messenger cannot exist without a message. Message is the brand, Messenger is the logo smiley

5 Likes

Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by Nobody: 8:49am On Jul 28, 2014
erad:

Noted! I never meant to undermine your field and I never knew it was so wide. My apologies

Not all brother! Brand Consultants and Designers ALWAYS work together. We need you guys to visualize what the client's business is about. You sound like an expert in your field - I respect that smiley
Re: No Logo? Launching A Business Without A Logo Can Sabotage You by bank2k4real(m): 9:25am On Jul 28, 2014
Success involves some efforts. You must be ready to make some kind of necessary effort that will lead you to success.

Check my signature below for more details and get your free gift..

can contact me on whatsapp +2348063203540.....call...
+233264859942, +233540975809, 08063203540, bank2k4real@gmail.com
Bb pin 295935A3

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Choose A Colour Scheme For Your Logo Design / Stylix Media at your service! Logos, Flyers, Videos & All Graphics…My portfolio! / Proudly Nigerian Logo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.