Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,241 members, 7,780,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:11 PM

Sin! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Sin! (1085 Views)

Fornication Is Not A Sin / Why Do Most Churches Dont Preach About Sin And Holiness? / Fornication or Homosexuality, Which is a Greater Sin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sin! by MeGaStReEt: 1:22am On Oct 14, 2008
Hello N/L'ers. Please I will Like 2 Know The Difference b/w WHEN SOME1 COMMITS A SIN AND WHEN SOME1 IS LIVING IN SIN

NB: Only reasonable comment is welcomed
Re: Sin! by Lady2(f): 3:19am On Oct 14, 2008
They're the same thing.
Re: Sin! by WarfyBoy(m): 4:31pm On Oct 14, 2008
more comment plssssssssssss
Re: Sin! by JeSoul(f): 4:48pm On Oct 14, 2008
The two are very different.

Living in sin is regularly, comfortably doing something you know is against God's word, without making an effort to stop or change. Basically this person[u] knows [/u] what they're doing is wrong, but still do it.

Committing a sin, is making a mistake, not something you do continously or habitually. When it happens you're convicted, repent and you're making a concerted effort to stop and live right. This person knows when they sin and immediately stop and repent.

Practical examples:
Living in sin A christian sleeping with his girlfriend/boyfriend regularly, and having no remorse or conviction about it
Commits a sin: A christian slept with his girlfriend/boyfriend once/twice (or basically doesn't make it a habit), felt terrible, repented and made a decision not to do so again.

Hope this helps! Cheers.
Re: Sin! by MeGaStReEt: 6:12pm On Oct 15, 2008
Thank you JeSoul for your comment

Now i kno better
Re: Sin! by JeSoul(f): 6:31pm On Oct 15, 2008
You're more than welcome sweetie smiley. Stay blessed.
Re: Sin! by Nimshi: 9:17pm On Oct 15, 2008
The expression "living in sin" has traditionally been used to describe consenting heterosexual (and of opposite sexes) couples living together without getting married formally. I'D guess your question refers to the "ordinary" meaning of the expression.  JeSoul has provided a response that could be a basis for discussion; matters aren't always as simple as they appear at first sight.

Practical examples: Living in sin A christian sleeping with his girlfriend/boyfriend regularly, and having no remorse or conviction about it

Does it cease to be "living in sin" (henceforth LiS) if the Christian man sleeping with the girlfriend to whom he's not married is remorseful after the act, and after every act?

Commits a sin: A christian slept with his girlfriend/boyfriend once/twice (or basically doesn't make it a habit), felt terrible, repented and made a decision not to do so again.

Er, when doe sit become a habit? If twice is "okay", what's wrong with thrice? Even after making a decision, a fellow could still fall into sin, no?
Re: Sin! by MeGaStReEt: 1:36am On Oct 16, 2008
Nice one Nimshi

But yuo guys shud consider this case,

I hav a close fellow who wz n i tink is still very close to God, to cut d long story short, He allowed himself to be manupulated/lured into joinin a confraternity, he only sees it as a joke wen these confraternity pipo kame askin him to join dem, but it came to a point were he cud nt fri himself from them. He has started regreting ever havin anytin to do with dem in the first place, but wit d fear of nt havin his brothers properties packd away by these cult pipo n all sorts of threat he joined them and wz initiated. He openly tld me dt He has nt been in peace wit himself ever since he joined dem, he feel like killin himself, he nw tink that he has committed d gr8est SIN on earth by join a confraternity, He wish God hz neva brought him to kno such pipo. He tld me dt he because of dt took 3 days fastin n prayers 4 God to 4give him and accept him back, he prayed everyday dt God fri him wit his power 4rm avin any contact wit these pipo anymore.

My question now is,

THough he has nt done any evil since his initiation, but rather feel guilt of allowin himself to b manupulated, Will he b forgiven 4 such sin?

Please u guys shud comment on this, I need to seek advice on his behalf, atleast this is d only way i can help him, maybe he can start seeing himself as he used to be.

More comment please
Re: Sin! by JeSoul(f): 2:48pm On Oct 16, 2008
Mega,
MeGaStReEt:

My question now is,

THough he has nt done any evil since his initiation, but rather feel guilt of allowin himself to b manupulated, Will he b forgiven 4 such sin?

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 
My brotha God will never turn away a person who comes to Him asking for forgiveness. The bible says that God takes pleasure in saving and redeeming us. All your friend needs to do is to confess and believe that God has forgiven him. It is really that simple. I have friends who are now christians that have committed acts 100times worse than what your friend did. Encourage your friend to trust in God's goodness n grace - it is more than sufficient to wipe out any past.

Nimshi,

Nimshi:

JeSoul has provided a response that could be a basis for discussion; matters aren't always as simple as they appear at first sight.
  True. However it usually comes down to whether the person is willing to change and stop sinning and whether or not they seek to please God by living a holy life.

Does it cease to be "living in sin" (henceforth LiS) if the Christian man sleeping with the girlfriend to whom he's not married is remorseful after the act, and after every act? Er, when doe sit become a habit? If twice is "okay", what's wrong with thrice? 

1 John 3:9
No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.

1 John 5:18
We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him.

The above verses should answer your question. A true christian cannot continue to sin and ask forgiveness for the same sin endlessly. Because the sacrifice of Jesus has freed us from the vicious cycle of sin. See Romans 6 for a detailed teaching on this.

Even after making a decision, a fellow could still fall into sin, no?
  Yes they could. But an important distinction is that they won't make a habit of it. See the above again.
Re: Sin! by MeGaStReEt: 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2008
@JeSoul

Thank uuuuuuuu sooooo much, I can now be bold enough to tell him what is right.

Thank you very much for your contribution

You're good,lol
Re: Sin! by Nimshi: 7:33pm On Oct 22, 2008
MeGaStReEt : why is your friend regretting joining the confraternity? Perhaps there's stuff happening there that's disagreeable?

Confraternities aren't necessarily evil, so I just wonder.
Re: Sin! by MeGaStReEt: 10:38pm On Oct 22, 2008
He does not feel its right to do so, He intend to kill himself if they do not seperate him from there group
Re: Sin! by Nimshi: 1:56am On Oct 23, 2008
That's really tough.

But, do you know why he feels this way?
Re: Sin! by MeGaStReEt: 5:35pm On Oct 23, 2008
Though i dont know enuf, but he told me tht He is trying to serve God and be a good and God fearing charistian, and joinin himself with an unholy group will hinder his relationship with God
Re: Sin! by Nimshi: 5:56pm On Oct 24, 2008
But why does he say the group is unholy?

Didn't you ask for the details?
Re: Sin! by JeSoul(f): 6:01pm On Oct 24, 2008
Nimshi,
there is no need for details smiley. If Mega's friend believes what he's doing is wrong and hinders his relationship with God, then that's his call to make. And good for him in wanting to live a holy life pleasing to God, God will honor and bless that effort he is making to be seperate from ungodly people.

Mega,
I hope things are going well with your friend.
Re: Sin! by Nimshi: 11:59pm On Oct 24, 2008
There's (almost) always need to ask for details. That someone believes they're doing sth wrong doesn't necessarily mean they are; apparently, the fellow 's under some heavy load, some of it may be unfounded; a hint being that already, the mention of the "confraternity" word evokes negative feelings and responses.
Re: Sin! by Nimshi: 12:00am On Oct 25, 2008
. . .
Re: Sin! by MeGaStReEt: 3:41pm On Oct 28, 2008
thanks every1 for your candid comments. My friend is doing fine and gradually putting himself together and thank for askin

I beliv everyone av different interpretation for this, but the major fact is that, everyone av right to his or her own opinion

I am happy for my friend tho,lol

(1) (Reply)

Why Does Evil Exist, Why Does Hell Exist? / Is Ageing A Sign That Death May Not Be The Last Bus Stop For Human Beings? / There Has To Be God !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.