Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,702 members, 7,813,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:42 AM

This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded (3327 Views)

Ayodeji Answered 10 Tough Maths Questions Within 60 Secs(video) / Hypothetical Question: Can WAEC Results Of Dif. Yrs Be Merged Into A Single One? / Question: Can I Study Abroad As A Nigerian Without SAT And TOEFL Tests? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 27, 2014
Picture this scenario.

You are on (INSIDE) a large express train racing the tracks at 450km/hr. If you stand facing forward on a marked spot and jump as the train is moving, would you land on exactly the same spot OR would the few seconds you are in the air cause you to land a distance behind the said spot?

** If the latter is correct, then it means you can move to the end of the aisle without walking. All you have to do is jump.

I would have tried it when I had the chance but they don't allow jumping in trains.

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Localamos(m): 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2014
Your body has acquired sympathetic velocity grin
As such, you will land on the same spot So long as you jumped vertically.

6 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jul 27, 2014
Localamos: Your body has acquired sympathetic velocity grin
As such, you will land on the same spot So long as you jumped vertically.
so are you saying that I will move at the same speed with the train while my body is in the air?
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by WhyNa: 3:01pm On Jul 27, 2014
All this one wey una dey talk na grammar. At 450mph inside train, you go fall, slide go back, den dem go radio police n psychia wey go pick u up at the nearest station.

4 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Obrizzy(m): 6:18pm On Jul 27, 2014
Lols as a Physics student due to ma own understanding hence you're inside d train you're definitly surrounded with d same atmosphere as the train so as to cut the long story Short you'll land on d xact sport due to the gravitational force u nd d train r sharing cus you're IN it not ON it.

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jul 27, 2014
Obrizzy: Lols as a Physics student due to ma own understanding hence you're inside d train you're definitly surrounded with d same atmosphere as the train so as to cut the long story Short you'll land on d xact sport due to the gravitational force u nd d train r sharing cus you're IN it not ON it.
its the same as being ON the train. Just that you can't see outside.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by spikesC(m): 6:56pm On Jul 27, 2014
krall: its the same as being ON the train. Just that you can't see outside.

It is not the same. Air/wind has weight. A train (and it's content) moving at 450mph is breaking the opposing velocity of the wind, friction between particles of various kind and gravitational force

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Localamos(m): 8:36pm On Jul 27, 2014
krall: so are you saying that I will move at the same speed with the train while my body is in the air?

Yeah. At that speed, the cabin is pressurized. And as such, your body is maintaining a harmonized velocity with the train.

The exception would be
1. If you are standing ON the train, then the breeze would act as resistance to your body. You would be blown away.

2. If the train is accelerating. Even if you're inside, you would be thrown backwards.

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Alamation(m): 11:42pm On Jul 27, 2014
I just hate Maths!!!

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Obrizzy(m): 11:46pm On Jul 27, 2014
Alamation: I just hate Maths!!!
its more like physics tho
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by tolaxin(m): 11:55pm On Jul 27, 2014
Try it,, u are not gonna land on the same spot!
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Jovie: 12:14am On Jul 28, 2014
WhyNa: All this one wey una dey talk na grammar. At 450mph inside train, you go fall, slide go back, den dem go radio police n psychia wey go pick u up at the nearest station.

smiley grin
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Shagati(m): 12:17am On Jul 28, 2014
Localamos:
Yeah. At that speed, the cabin is pressurized. And as such, your body is maintaining a harmonized velocity with the train.

The exception would be
1. If you are standing ON the train, then the breeze would act as resistance to your body. You would be blown away.

2. If the train is accelerating. Even if you're inside, you would be thrown backwards.

Bright answer sir/madam.
When you're inside the train travelling at a constant 450mph, YOU are also travelling at 450mph so if you jump vertically as someone said, you will land on the same spot.
If the the train is accelerating on the other hand, the speed of your body when you jumped would be relatively less than the train's current speed by the time (split second) you land and you would land (and roll violently towards the rear of the train depending on the rate of acceleration.

That is why you're thrown into the back rest of your seat when a plane is taxiing for take off.

Ps: No train on earth can travel at 450mph.

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by b3llo(m): 2:15am On Jul 28, 2014
You will go forward, Its logic. Op that speed is too much.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by MisterLongman(m): 3:02am On Jul 28, 2014
Am not surprised ladies are shying away from this thread, if na wizkid and tania now abi jude and peter okoye matter, them go put mouth............. Anyway to my own little understanding of physics...... As long as you are inside the train, it determines your weight and probably your gravitational force must be equal to that of the train....... So therefore you will definitely end up on the same spot

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by jaryeh(m): 8:18am On Jul 28, 2014
No. I don't think you would land on the same spot. Le'me try to explain....

While you are still on (as in standing in) the train, you move together with it at the same speed since you're readily connected with its moving body. When you jump up, you're disconnected from its moving body, and hence, it moves forward while you're still in air. No matter how short the time you spend in air, it would still make a difference in your landing position because the train is moving at a high velocity. So, you cannot land on the same spot. You can only land on the same spot IF AND ONLY IF you're still connected with the moving train while in air, that can be achieved by holding on to part of its body while you jump.

And yea, you can end up at the end of the aisle by making several jumps if there are no obstacles on the way.

I hope you get it.

4 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Henrypraise: 8:47am On Jul 28, 2014
Look @ it dis way, wen u ar in a movin vehicle n u ar playin wit a soft small ball by trowin it up n catchin it, does d ball fall back to ur hands or it moves backward?

Since u ar inside d train, ur body is also at par wit d train try doin it wit a feather in a movin vehicle, were d wind shields ar rolled up, will d feather float freely in d air or it will float to d rear?

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 9:32am On Jul 28, 2014

7 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 9:44am On Jul 28, 2014
Shagati:

Ps: No train on earth can travel at 450mph.
who told you that abeg??
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 9:47am On Jul 28, 2014
jaryeh: No. I don't think you would land on the same spot. Le'me try to explain....

While you are still on (as in standing in) the train, you move together with it at the same speed since you're readily connected with its moving body. When you jump up, you're disconnected from its moving body, and hence, it moves forward while you're still in air. No matter how short the time you spend in air, it would still make a difference in your landing position because the train is moving at a high velocity. So, you cannot land on the same spot. You can only land on the same spot IF AND ONLY IF you're still connected with the moving train while in air, that can be achieved by holding on to part of its body while you jump.

And yea, you can end up at the end of the aisle by making several jumps if there are no obstacles on the way.

I hope you get it.
good logic sir
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 9:48am On Jul 28, 2014
Henrypraise: Look @ it dis way, wen u ar in a movin vehicle n u ar playin wit a soft small ball by trowin it up n catchin it, does d ball fall back to ur hands or it moves backward?

Since u ar inside d train, ur body is also at par wit d train try doin it wit a feather in a movin vehicle, were d wind shields ar rolled up, will d feather float freely in d air or it will float to d rear?
I say the feather will float backward slowly, air resistance or no air resistance. The weight of the feather is negligible compared to that of the train
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by jaryeh(m): 9:52am On Jul 28, 2014
@Nonso23, pls try to simplify your explanations, I don't get it. It appears to be theoretical rather than practical. Maybe it's because I've not read the theory of relativity sha. I doubt if that would convince me.

Don't you think if I jump up in my room and land on the same spot, it's because my room isn't moving?

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 28, 2014
Localamos:

The exception would be

Loooooool, Dude, I just tried it inside BRT and landed on my neighbours face.

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 28, 2014

3 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by topedo70(m): 10:03am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by pickabeau1: 10:04am On Jul 28, 2014
nonso23 on point...

2 Likes

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by UjSizzle(f): 11:17am On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

Relativity is quite complex in itself.
okay, recall that in euclidean geometry we have three axes. x,y,z. In relativity we have four. x,y,z,t. Where t= time, This last addition was made by Einstein after he discovered the speed limit of the universe - light's speed. He found out that 2 seconds aboard a moving mass wasn't 2 seconds anymore on the ground. In short, all the theory says is that time is not constant as classical/newtonian physics propagates and so far he's right. Take out time to research this field of physics. It's interesting.

And your room is moving at about 66000mph in space around the sun in an elliptical orbit. you land on the same spot when you jump because you are on earth's space time continuum.

All we do practically can also be theoretically modeled. The problem is that in practice we can work around the minute variables with little adjustments while in theory we cannot model all variables due to the 'chaos theory' limitation.
Honey I like your posts, I really do. But you need to start speaking more English here, and less science so that more Artsy minds like mine won't have to paint a mental picture 90% of the time embarassed
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by emmytech2: 11:26am On Jul 28, 2014
yes, you will still land at the same spot you earlier marked,provided all things are in ideal situation( i mean atmospheric pressure, temp, force of gravity remains constant) but if not my guy na for 100m back you will find urself.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:

Relativity is quite complex in itself.
okay, recall that in euclidean geometry we have three axes. x,y,z. In relativity we have four. x,y,z,t. Where t= time, This last addition was made by Einstein after he discovered the speed limit of the universe - light's speed. He found out that 2 seconds aboard a moving mass wasn't 2 seconds anymore on the ground. In short, all the theory says is that time is not constant as classical/newtonian physics propagates and so far he's right. Take out time to research this field of physics. It's interesting.

And your room is moving at about 66000mph in space around the sun in an elliptical orbit. you land on the same spot when you jump because you are on earth's space time continuum.

All we do practically can also be theoretically modeled. The problem is that in practice we can work around the minute variables with little adjustments while in theory we cannot model all variables due to the 'chaos theory' limitation.
you are talking on a much larger scale where our masses are too small compared to that of the earth to relatively matter.

Bring it down to here on the ground

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 11:56am On Jul 28, 2014
jaryeh: @Nonso23, pls try to simplify your explanations, I don't get it. It appears to be theoretical rather than practical. Maybe it's because I've not read the theory of relativity sha. I doubt if that would convince me.

Don't you think if I jump up in my room and land on the same spot, it's because my room isn't moving?
as you said, his explanation is more theoretical (which agrees with the fact that you should land on exactly the same spot) but in real practice, when you feet is on the ground of the train, you move at that same velocity of say 450mph and when you jump, your body begins to lose that gained velocity. The reason it is more obvious in an accelerating train is the fact that your speed relative to that of the train changes in a shorter time frame. Also standing on top of the train where the wind aids in stoping your relative motion, makes the change in positon even more.
This is why I intentionally used the word LARGE because if you are able to stay off the ground for say 10secs, you will eventually lose a portion that velocity to an extent(as you are no longer connected to the train in any way) causing you to be thrown backwards ie land a distance back.

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 28, 2014

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

25 Interesting Words Derived From The Names Of People Throughout History / Saudi Arabia Banned Abaya In Exam Hall For Female. / Some Jambites Have Not Received Any Results Notification From JAMB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.