Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,239 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded (3343 Views)

Ayodeji Answered 10 Tough Maths Questions Within 60 Secs(video) / Hypothetical Question: Can WAEC Results Of Dif. Yrs Be Merged Into A Single One? / Question: Can I Study Abroad As A Nigerian Without SAT And TOEFL Tests? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 28, 2014

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by crackhaus: 5:09pm On Jul 28, 2014
krall: cheesy cheesy another question for another day!!

You will land back on the floor of the elevator naa, abi will you float?
Definitely you will land on the floor, what I intend to find out is if the person will land completely standing as he was or fall/loose balance from the impact.

I'm of the opinion anyway that a person who jumps on a moving train lands on a different spot but not very far away from it's initial point by virtue of the gravitational force (deceleration) acting downwards.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by crackhaus: 5:20pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:
Not non-existent but are negligible due to very much lesser molecular friction in liquids and gases unlike land travel hence i said 'the closest you'll get to feeling this phenomeneon'

key word is 'constant velocity'. Jumping in an elevator at constant speed is similar to jumping in a static elevator. Whether up or down.
Afterall jumping up while it descends doesn't have you hit your head on its ceiling.
Nor does jumping up while it ascends have you land earlier than usual.
The feeling of weightlessness is due to inertia build up.
Jumping in an elevator moving upwards at constant velocity will almost certainly make a person loose balance when his feet touches the floor (which has moved a farther distance compared to the distance the person will travel when returning downwards from jump).

Back to the train: The action of gravity acting on the person who jumped would have tampered with any velocity that body is sharing with the moving train.
Do you agree?
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 28, 2014

1 Like

Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:
The case of the elevator: The person will almost certainly trip because of the feeling of weightlessness due to inertia build up not directly due to the velocity of the elevator.

Your second case.
Have you heard of the spinning 'koso'. It is a toy that spins on a thin base apparently defying gravity. Save for the effects of friction, air resistance et al it'll spin forever. Gravity or not.
At high speeds the effects of gravity on objects is diminished. Gravity is time dependent too.
Going by your assumption. Let's try this experiment. Tie something solid with a rope eg stone and suspend vertically while in a bus moving with fairly constant velocity try to avoid air interference.
Judging by gravity effects the suspended mass should move backwards as far as the string will permit since it isn't solidly connected to you or the bus except for the rope. Notice that it remains almost vertical. Why??
this question has little to do with gravity
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:
on earth kwa??
sure enough gravity always acts downwards and brings the person down but here the motion we are talking about is not in the up-down sense.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 28, 2014
Nonso23:
Every motion always has a sense in either up or down and (optional) on the other axes as components as far as earth is concerned
that was why I used "LITTLE"

What's your field of study if I may ask?
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Odunharry(m): 6:58pm On Jul 28, 2014
crackhaus:
Jumping in an elevator moving upwards at constant velocity will almost certainly make a person loose balance when his feet touches the floor (which has moved a farther distance compared to the distance the person will travel when returning downwards from jump).

Back to the train: The action of gravity acting on the person who jumped would have tampered with any velocity that body is sharing with the moving train.
Do you agree?
check ur mail bro
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Jhydey192(m): 8:56pm On Jul 28, 2014
physics tho..
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by olagamalin(m): 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
Hello all, I need a favor from y'all. Any Law Student from ABU, UNIBEN, UNILORIN, UI, OAU, UNIUYO, UNN, UNIZIK should kindly contact me via lssnerd@gmail.com. There's an urgent need to connect with the Law Student's Society of respective faculty. This is from the Law Society, Unilag & Tax Club, Nigeria. Thanks
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by 5minsmadness: 7:54am On Jul 29, 2014
Nonso23:

Does the speed of light vary around the universe?
No.

Alright let me see what I can do.
Can you create a system to operate in a vacuum. No friction, drag, air resistance, unsteady acceleration/velocity, etc these are the variables that make this theory sound a bit far fetched. Eliminating them will make this fictional model more relatable.

When this large train moves through space. it bend/ warps the space-time of the relatively larger body upon which it cruises. You being inside the train are now in a different space time continuum. A warped version of the earth's. Here time, distance and all other dependent and independent variables take a new value albeit a small deviation which increases as the speed of the train increases. 2kg measured in the train may weigh 2.2kg when you get off the train and measure it on ground. e.t.c. You may throw a stone off the train and count the time taken for it to land as 3 seconds. someone on the ground doing the same gets 4 seconds. And you both are using the same wristwatch and are also correct. Time measurement is not absolute.

The train becomes another earth to you and all you can do on earth wrt physics still hold true on the train.

If you have been on a ship you will understand.
grin grin grin

I didn't understand this one at all embarassed embarassed embarassed

The first explanation was better.

Off topic: Bros, what do you think about time travel? Can it be done?
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by 5minsmadness: 7:57am On Jul 29, 2014
Nonso23:

Chai! This aspect is sort of like conceptual physics. You model with mental pictures. Unless maybe nairaland can tether our brains together grin

For the space time continuum warping. Think of a mosquito net in 3D then imagine throwing a stone at it whilst assuming the mosquito net gives way as soon as the stone touches it but doesn't tear oo. It just keeps giving way at the front elastically while mending at the back of the stone. ice the separated strands glue back behind the stone sort of. I don't think I'm making sense sef embarassed
ROTFLMAO!!!
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 29, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 29, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Krall44: 10:50am On Jul 29, 2014
Nonso23:

Applied Science grin
Nonso23:
Depends on whether its appropriate to call surviving for long enough to see a 100 generations a form of time travel or not.
Technically 'traveling' to the future is possible but paradoxes prevents 'traveling' to the past from being possible.
Theory of multiple/parallel universes ish ..
theoretical physicist could have suited you better cheesy
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by crackhaus: 10:55am On Jul 29, 2014
Odunharry:
check ur mail bro
Send it again
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by semitunde: 11:14am On Jul 29, 2014
krall: Picture this scenario.

You are on (INSIDE) a large express train racing the tracks at 450km/hr. If you stand facing forward on a marked spot and jump as the train is moving, would you land on exactly the same spot OR would the few seconds you are in the air cause you to land a distance behind the said spot?

** If the latter is correct, then it means you can move to the end of the aisle without walking. All you have to do is jump.

I would have tried it when I had the chance but they don't allow jumping in trains.

You are trying to put Einstein's theory of relativity to test. You will land on the same spot, even though in actual fact you have moved through a curve.

The same thing happens when you jump on a spot in you house. You see the earth is moving at a very high speed around the sun, it is also spinning; but when you jump up you don't necessarily land forward or backwards do you?

In actual fact when you jump in the air, anywhere on earth, you have jumped in a curve. That's also why some people say the shortest distance between two points is not actually a line, but a curve. As it is on earth, so it is on the train.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by semitunde: 11:27am On Jul 29, 2014
5minsmadness:
grin grin grin

I didn't understand this one at all embarassed embarassed embarassed

The first explanation was better.

Off topic: Bros, what do you think about time travel? Can it be done?

Lol. His Wa a technical explanation. If you hold an orange in a moving train and throw it up straight from tour hand it should land in you hand.

This is because when you throw the she me orange up in your room, you are doing the sane thing as in a moving train, because the earth is moving in a speed much faster than the fastest train but you can't feel this first because the outer space is mostly vacuum and hence little friction or drag; and also because you have gravity puling things down.

Yes, it is possible to build a time machine. Time is a parameter like distance. Just like you can walk back and for in distance (called space), you can walk back and forth in time- you just need the means to. Maybe some of our ancestors have even managed to do this, they just didn't realise what they had done.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by tolaxin(m): 12:01pm On Jul 29, 2014
Nonso23:

Does the speed of light vary around the universe?
No.

Alright let me see what I can do.
Can you create a system to operate in a vacuum. No friction, drag, air resistance, unsteady acceleration/velocity, etc these are the variables that make this theory sound a bit far fetched. Eliminating them will make this fictional model more relatable.

When this large train moves through space. it bend/ warps the space-time of the relatively larger body upon which it cruises. You being inside the train are now in a different space time continuum. A warped version of the earth's. Here time, distance and all other dependent and independent variables take a new value albeit a small deviation which increases as the speed of the train increases. 2kg measured in the train may weigh 2.2kg when you get off the train and measure it on ground. e.t.c. You may throw a stone off the train and count the time taken for it to land as 3 seconds. someone on the ground doing the same gets 4 seconds. And you both are using the same wristwatch and are also correct. Time measurement is not absolute.

The train becomes another earth to you and all you can do on earth wrt physics still hold true on the train.

If you have been on a ship you will understand.
Einstein second!, you just need to go board a train and do the fuckin practical Yursef, u aint just getting it right!
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Odunharry(m): 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2014
crackhaus:
Send it again
check ur mail
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by thankyouJesus(m): 12:53pm On Jul 29, 2014
krall: Picture this scenario.

You are on (INSIDE) a large express train racing the tracks at 450km/hr. If you stand facing forward on a marked spot and jump as the train is moving, would you land on exactly the same spot OR would the few seconds you are in the air cause you to land a distance behind the said spot?

** If the latter is correct, then it means you can move to the end of the aisle without walking. All you have to do is jump.

I would have tried it when I had the chance but they don't allow jumping in trains.
to be or not to be on the same spot, it depends on
1. Time spent in air
2. Force applied to jump
3. Speed of the train
before someone ask me to proof.
You are in a 'molue' being pushed at constant force (change in position is equal) and you jump up, what will happen?
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by vizboy(m): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2014
I still cant see how you will land on the same spot. Excerpt the train is static.

When you are in moving car and you throw an orange up it won't land in your hands. There is bound to be little diversion

Well I can be wrong maybe theoritically it can be possible, but practically. Don't see it happening
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jul 29, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jul 29, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by tolaxin(m): 2:54pm On Jul 29, 2014
Nonso23:

It's funny how people think practicals differ from theories. Theories are the models for practicals.
Well, each to their own.
just try it out and see for yurself! Sometimes, u gat to ignore the grammar and see how d tin hapns for urself
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by semitunde: 3:35pm On Jul 29, 2014
Nonso23:

Forth in time? - I agree
Backwards? - Paradoxes galore.
Your explanations are a lot more better and easier to grasp than mine. Kudos

Lol. You are one of those who believe what's done is done. History can't be remade or re-lived.

Well, at the risk of cupping a headache, I think there are possibilities. What are we living in? The present right? How do we know it isn't a controlled remodelled one to suit a people/race/ even individual? How can you be aware? Do you know what your fate is? How do you know someone or something doesn't know your fate? And has control over it. I think one can control the future by going to the past. Out present is a past depending on the way you look at it, whether linearly as in seeing the future because you don't know you're in the past; or by astrology, which can put our position ( our conscious present) any where : past, present or future, depending on what its relative to.

For instance if a space ship is developed that can move faster than light, then 1day on the ship and in relation to earth can be 1000yrs on another planet. It means whatever we on earth know to be happening on that planet as "present" will be the future of those that have gone there, by 1000yrs. For the people on the planet communicating to earth, the space explorers would be part of their 1000yrs history.

Nah, I can't explain more than this if you don't get it, sorry.
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by semitunde: 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2014
vizboy: I still cant see how you will land on the same spot. Excerpt the train is static.

When you are in moving car and you throw an orange up it won't land in your hands. There is bound to be little diversion

Well I can be wrong maybe theoritically it can be possible, but practically. Don't see it happening

The only reason why the orange won't land in your palm is if you didn't throw it to land in your hand in d first place, or if the place is airy such that the orange is subject to the elements while in the air. If not, the the orange does not even know its in motion, it simply goes up from your hand and comes down directly on your hand.

Just the same way you don't know you're in motion because the earth is protected from the outer space by its atmosphere. So when you jump up, you are actually like orange in a moving train or vehicle, but you don't realise it..
Re: This Question Can Only Be Answered By The Imaginative Minded by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

St George International Resources / 10 World’s Biggest Things Ever Recorded / 13 Important Things You Should Know About WAEC Examination & Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.