Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,259 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. (7337 Views)

Start Of A New World War / 100 Years After 'Titanic' Ship To Sail Again / 12 Years After September 11, Haunting Memories Of Terror Attack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by shorexng: 10:38pm On Jul 28, 2014
What Was World War I?

World War I was an extremely bloody war that engulfed Europe from 1914 to 1919, with huge losses of life and little ground lost or won. Fought mostly by soldiers in trenches, World War I
saw an estimated 10 million military deaths and another 20 million wounded. While many
hoped that World War I would be "the war to end all wars," in actuality, the concluding peace treaty set the stage for World
War II.

Dates: 1914-1919

Also Known As: The Great War,
WWI, the First World War

The Start of World War I

The spark that started World War I was the assassination of Austria's Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie.
The assassination occurred on June 28, 1914 while Ferdinand
was visiting the city of Sarajevo in the Austro-Hungarian province
of Bosnia-Herzegovina.
Although Archduke Franz
Ferdinand, the nephew of
Austria's emperor and heir- apparent to the throne, was not very well liked by most, his assassination by a Serb
nationalist was viewed as a great excuse to attack Austria- Hungary's troublesome neighbor, Serbia. However, instead of reacting quickly to the incident, Austria- Hungary made sure they had the
backing of Germany, with whom they had a treaty, before they proceeded. This gave Serbia time
to get the backing of Russia, with whom they had a treaty.
The calls for back-up didn't end there. Russia also had a treaty with France and Britain.
This meant that by the time Austria-Hungary officially declared war on Serbia on July 28, 1914, an entire month after
the assassination, much of Europe had already become entangled in the dispute.
At the start of the war, these were the major players (more countries joined the war later):

Schlieffen Plan vs. Plan XVII
Germany didn't want to fight both Russia in the east and France in the west, so they enacted their long-standing
Schlieffen Plan. The Schlieffen Plan was created by Alfred Graf
von Schlieffen, who was the chief of the German general staff from 1891 to 1905.
Schlieffen believed that it would take about six weeks for Russia to mobilize their troops and
supplies. So, if Germany placed a nominal number of soldiers in the east, the majority of Germany's soldiers and supplies
could be used for a quick attack in the west.
Since Germany was facing this exact scenario of a two-front war at the beginning of World
War I, Germany decided to enact the Schlieffen Plan. While Russia
continued to mobilize, Germany decided to attack France by going through neutral Belgium.
Since Britain had a treaty withBelgium, the attack on Belgium officially brought Britain into the
war.
While Germany was enacting its Schlieffen Plan, the French enacted their own prepared plan,
called Plan XVII. This plan was created in 1913 and called for quick mobilization in response to a German attack through Belgium.
As German troops moved south into France, French and British troops tried to stop them. At the
end of the First Battle of the Marne, fought just north of Paris in September 1914, a stalemate was reached. The Germans, who
had lost the battle, had made a hasty retreat and then dug in.
The French, who couldn't
dislodge the Germans, then also dug in. Since neither side could
force the other to move, each side's trenches became increasingly elaborate. For the
next four years, the troops would fight from these trenches.
A War of Attrition
From 1914 to 1917, soldiers on each side of the line fought from
their trenches. They fired artillery onto the enemy's position and lobbed grenades. However, each
time military leaders ordered a full-fledged attack, the soldiers
were forced to leave the "safety" of their trenches.
The only way to overtake the other side's trench was for the soldiers to cross "No Man's
Land," the area between the trenches, on foot. Out in the open, thousands of soldiers raced across this barren land in the hopes of reaching the other
side. Often, most were hewn down by machine-gun fire and artillery before they even got
close.
Because of the nature of trench warfare, millions of young men were slaughtered in the battles
of World War I. The war quickly became one of attrition, which meant that with so many soldiers being killed daily, eventually the side with the most men would
win the war.
By 1917, the Allies were starting to run low on young men.

U.S. Enters the War and Russia Gets Out

The Allies needed help and they were hoping that the United States, with its vast resources of
men and materials, would join on their side. However, for years, the
U.S. had clung to their idea of isolationism. Plus, the U.S. just didn't want to be involved in a
war that seemed so far away and that didn't seem to affect them in
any great way.

3 Likes

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by shorexng: 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2014
However, there were two
major events that changed American
public opinion about the war.

The first occurred in 1915,
when a German U-boat (submarine) sunk the British ocean liner RMS
Lusitania. Considered by
Americans to be a neutral ship that carried mostly
passengers, Americans were furious when
the Germans sank it, especially since 159 of the passengers were Americans.

The second was the
Zimmermann Telegram. In early 1917, Germany sent Mexico a coded message promising
portions of U.S. land in return for Mexico joining World War I against the United States. The
message was intercepted by Britain, translated, and shown to the United States. This brought
the war to U.S. soil, giving the U.S. a real reason to enter the war on
the side of the Allies.
On April 6, 1917, the United States officially declared war on Germany.
As the United States was
entering World War I, Russia was getting ready to get out.

In 1917, Russia became swept up in an internal revolution that removed the czar from power.
The new communist
government, wanting to focus on internal troubles, sought a way to remove Russia from World War I. Negotiating separately
from the rest of the Allies,
Russia signed the Brest-Litovsk peace treaty with Germany on March
3, 1918.

With the war in the east
ended, Germany was able to divert those troops to the west in order to
face the new American
soldiers.

Armistice and the Versailles Treaty

The fighting in the west
continued for another year. Millions more soldiers died, while little land was gained.
However, the freshness of the American troops made a huge difference.
While the European troops were tired from years of war, the Americans remained
enthusiastic. Soon the
Germans were retreating and the Allies were advancing. The end of
the war was near.
At the end of 1918, an
armistice was finally agreed upon. The fighting was to end on the 11th
hour of 11th day of 11th
month (i.e. 11 am on Nov. 11, 1918).

For the next several months, diplomats argued and compromised together in order
to come up with the Versailles Treaty. The Versailles Treaty was
the peace treaty that ended World War I; however, a number
of its terms were so controversial that it also set the stage for World War II.

The carnage left behind by the end of World War I was staggering. By the end of the war, an estimated 10 million
soldiers were killed. That
averages to about 6,500
deaths a day, every day. Plus, millions of civilians were also killed.

World War I is especially
remembered for its slaughter for it was one
of the bloodiest wars in history.

Source: history1900s.about.com/od/worldwari/p/World-War-I.htm?utm_content=buffera6e6a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=cmsocialposting_aboutmain

6 Likes

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by futajallon: 4:29am On Jul 29, 2014
OK

...........modified.........
thanks to the Lord for keeping awake and thanks to my pastor for telling me to pray in the midnight and to my one and only lepacious gf love ya pupo pupo.

last stone: always keep it 100

3 Likes

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Abimloaded(m): 4:29am On Jul 29, 2014
FTC
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by shadowwalker101: 4:30am On Jul 29, 2014
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by flinton(m): 4:31am On Jul 29, 2014
Abimloaded: FTC
Milliseconds late, sorry!

1 Like

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by futajallon: 4:35am On Jul 29, 2014
Abimloaded: FTC

change your phone and sim the same day a beg
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Influence01: 4:38am On Jul 29, 2014
...I'll check back later
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by vb0mb(m): 4:41am On Jul 29, 2014
Religion will be the cause of WW3
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Nobody: 4:42am On Jul 29, 2014
I usually tell myself , there is no amount too much to prosecute peace !!!
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Nobody: 4:44am On Jul 29, 2014
If not for silliness and greediness on the part of some folks , war should be avoidable @ all cost !!

The cost of peace far outweigh the benefits of war !
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by drkay(m): 4:44am On Jul 29, 2014
Nice 1 @ Op, its 1 of the stories I promise to tell my grand children.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Danielotuya(m): 4:50am On Jul 29, 2014
Wow!!! 100 years already, and i rmber lyk it was yest'. My children gather around and lemme tell u d stories.....
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by padeolu: 4:51am On Jul 29, 2014
Ok. Let's hope boko haram won't be celebrating for us.
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Wisdomkosi(m): 4:51am On Jul 29, 2014
I say to you today be ready the world is coming to an end

1 Like

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Missy89(f): 4:52am On Jul 29, 2014
Many part of this isnt true however.

Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by aminho(m): 4:52am On Jul 29, 2014
and some people want nigeria to kick start worldwar 3 who so ever wants nigeria to go to war its ur papa and mama that will fight them selves and u will be the casualty of the war
pls who sagem or alcatel charger
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by DaGC(m): 4:53am On Jul 29, 2014
War is never a good thing.
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Lilprocess(m): 5:15am On Jul 29, 2014
None of my business,
EBOLA IS MORE BETTER THAN EBELE.

3 Likes

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by blogexpert12(m): 5:26am On Jul 29, 2014
NOTED!
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Nobody: 5:26am On Jul 29, 2014
And the world hasn't been safecry we've had many wars since then. And more is coming. Man by nature is a brute.
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by sunnywhyt(m): 5:27am On Jul 29, 2014
.ok
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Osinitu(m): 5:28am On Jul 29, 2014
Lovely piece! So educating.
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Nobody: 5:29am On Jul 29, 2014
Too bad we never learnt from our mistake.
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by NaLaugh: 5:31am On Jul 29, 2014
WWIII doesn't seem very far-fetched as it is
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by onitshaigbo(m): 5:37am On Jul 29, 2014
I always wondered why WWII was called "II" since I didn't know there was a WWI. I thought WWII was called that because it was so big that it was like two wars, one in Europe and one in Asia.

So if WWI was in Europe, and WWII was in Europe and Asia, then WWIII must be in Africa!!!

1 Like

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by smasher1(m): 5:53am On Jul 29, 2014
The War that changed the world
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Mubby4luv(m): 5:55am On Jul 29, 2014
History must be a very boring subject. Geeze I didn't understand anytin thr. Sha who cares

2 Likes

Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Missy89(f): 5:57am On Jul 29, 2014
onitshaigbo: I always wondered why WWII was called "II" since I didn't know there was a WWI. I thought WWII was called that because it was so big that it was like two wars, one in Europe and one in Asia.

So if WWI was in Europe, and WWII was in Europe and Asia, then WWIII must be in Africa!!!

world war 1 & 2 were fought in Europe, Africa , Asia and the seas
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by Mubby4luv(m): 5:59am On Jul 29, 2014
Wisdomkosi: I say to you today be ready the world is coming to an end
OmGosh really? And keeps scrolling.
Re: Today Is 100 Years After the Start of WW1. by kudoxs(m): 6:24am On Jul 29, 2014
Missy89: Many part of this isnt true however.

Thanks for sharing
seems you are a historian,please share your own version of the war.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Exposed: Why Israel Is Hated By Arabs & Their Apologists / Kenyan Mother Names New-Born Twins Barack & Mitt / Niger Bars UN, NGOs From Military Operation Zones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.