Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,586 members, 7,955,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:26 PM

Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police (1891 Views)

Obiano Donates Patrol Cars To Police In Anambra (Photos) / Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? / Lagos Donates N4.5m To Ngozi Nwosu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DeepZone: 5:00pm On Oct 14, 2008
Lagos donates 1,000 AK47 riffles to police

Mansur Oladjunjoye

CRIME fighting in Lagos State yesterday received a boost as the government donated 10 armoured personnel carriers (APCs) 1000 AK-47 rifles, 1000 bullet proof vests and 2 million .76mm ammunition to the state police command.

Similarly, some unnamed individuals and a private company donated three combat boats and two utility vehicles respectively to strengthen the operations of the marine police.

Receiving the items, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Mr. Mike Okiro warned criminals and social miscreants to leave the state or be dealt with.

According to him, the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) has over the years strived to preserve, protect and pro0mote social justice, pea e, safety, stability and liberty which are necessary for economic development and prosperity.

Speaking at the official hand over of operation crime fighting equipment the Lagos House, Ikeja, Okiro recounted that lack of operational equipment and trust in the police hampered the achievements of the Force in the past.

"Lack of logistics for Police operation and lack of trust by the citizenry used to constitute serious threats/challenges to the force in the time past," he said.

Okiro however appreciated the state government’s security consciousness and care: "The ceremony we are witnessing here today has sent a strong warning signal to criminals and other miscreants in the state to pack their luggage and relocate out of the state.

"Any attempt by them to ignore this sincere advice or to test our will would be met with dire consequences. By handing over these operational equipment that has not only ensured Police superior fire power over violent criminals; Lagos state government has made a bold effort to reaffirm the economic vision of the present administration he said."

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/oct/14/804.html
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by RichyBlacK(m): 6:36pm On Oct 14, 2008
Fine.

How about crime labs, building a fingerprint data bank, other biometric devices, forensic firearm identification, etc, to debunk those useless "na juju kill am" talk in Naija and solve crimes the way it should be solved?
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by Jakumo(m): 6:57pm On Oct 14, 2008
Yeah buddy.  Americans dream of a two-car garage, a white picket fence, a manicured lawn and a paid-up mortgage, but why should Nigerians ape that gay chit ?

I dream of a loaded AK47 rifle under every Nigerian citizen's bed, a general purpose belt-fed machine gun leaning behind the living room door of every Nigerian home, along with color-coordinated his and hers RPG7 grenade launchers for those special festive occasions.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by Kobojunkie: 7:05pm On Oct 14, 2008
roflmao ! ! ! ! That , by the way, happens to be the African dream. lol. An AK47 for Xmas!!! WOOHOO!!
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by debosky(m): 7:13pm On Oct 14, 2008
Why are just the rifles highlighted?

The key donation in my view are the APC's, the police need more of those to be able to counter the firepower of armed robbers and prevent unnecessary loss of life by policemen.

Appropriate mobility/fast response vehicles that offer protection should help the police combat violent crime better.

Just as a caveat, let no one go and park the APC in front of his house for personal use. grin
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by subice(m): 7:53pm On Oct 14, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Fine.

How about crime labs, building a fingerprint data bank, other biometric devices, forensic firearm identification, etc, to debunk those useless "na juju kill am" talk in Naija and solve crimes the way it should be solved?

For real, we need to invest especially in forensics. A state like Lagos seriously needs its own forensic/biometrics unit. Sometimes when I watch CSI, I can't but imagine how more effective solving cases would be in Lagos if we had even half of those equipment, labs and trained personnel to go with them. For one, all these recent unresolved murder cases would have a much better chance of being solved. I seriously hope that we get State police in the constitution review.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DeepZone: 8:02pm On Oct 14, 2008
I thought AK47 is an outdated rifle?
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by debosky(m): 8:10pm On Oct 14, 2008
Outdated?

The most successful rifle in the world - it shoots bullets, is cheap to manufacture and maintain, simple!
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DeepZone: 8:26pm On Oct 14, 2008
For real, we need to invest especially in forensics. A state like Lagos seriously needs its own forensic/biometrics unit. Sometimes when I watch CSI, I can't but imagine how more effective solving cases would be in Lagos if we had even half of those equipment, labs and trained personnel to go with them. For one, all these recent unresolved murder cases would have a much better chance of being solved. I seriously hope that we get State police in the constitution review.

How can you do that successfully when we don't even have an ID # in Nigeria? You can process a crime scene and identify the DNA but will you match it to a tree?. Again, the idea of crime lab should be national because a rapist from Ibadan can take a trip to lagos and commit a crime. How will you identify him if his information is not in the Lagos state database?
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by RichyBlacK(m): 8:28pm On Oct 14, 2008
subice:

Thank you.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by nigeria12: 8:31pm On Oct 14, 2008
it shows you that state can pay for thier own police force like all over the world. the police chief is not paid salary by the state , and is not appointed by the governor. but by a board. who vote for 5 named .
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by RichyBlacK(m): 8:32pm On Oct 14, 2008
DeepZone:

How can you do that successfully when we don't even have an ID # in Nigeria? You can  process a crime scene and identify the DNA but will you match it to a tree?. Again, the idea of crime lab should be national because a rapist from Ibadan can take a trip to lagos and commit a crime. How will you identify him if his information is not in the Lagos state database?

We start now in Lagos and then the rest of the nation can join us - just like California sets the trend for the rest of the states in the US.

The database is not build in one big jump, it's built gradually - an arrest here, fingerprint him/her; a serious traffic offense there, fingerprint the suspects; capture some suspected robbers? fingerprint them. Overtime, the database will grow, particularly around those who commit most of the crimes.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DeepZone: 8:41pm On Oct 14, 2008
We start now in Lagos and then the rest of the nation can join us - just like California sets the trend for the rest of the states in the US.

The database is not build in one big jump, it's built gradually - an arrest here, fingerprint him/her; a serious traffic offense there, fingerprint the suspects; capture some suspected robbers? fingerprint them. Overtime, the database will grow, particularly around those who commit most of the crimes.
Lmao, if you finger print a Nigerian armed robber and set him free, you are on your own because his next port of call will be to attack that crime lab. grin
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by subice(m): 8:48pm On Oct 14, 2008
DeepZone:

How can you do that successfully when we don't even have an ID # in Nigeria? You can  process a crime scene and identify the DNA but will you match it to a tree?. Again, the idea of crime lab should be national because a rapist from Ibadan can take a trip to lagos and commit a crime. How will you identify him if his information is not in the Lagos state database?

As RichyBlack pointed out, we have to start somewhere and Lagos should take the lead. I have no doubt other state would follow suit in due time. Also, the database will be for all crimes committed in Lagos, irrespective of where the person is from, and would be as detailed as possible in terms of contact details. I get the example you were trying to make above. However, such a guy's information would be in Lagos' database since the crime was committed there. In due time, I'm sure common sense would lead to the establishment of a law that mandates transmission of information from all states' databases to a central platform. This platform should also be accessible for the body handling federal crimes (if there is state police, then it will be necessary to have a body handling interstate and other federal crimes. Like I suggested in an earlier thread, EFCC should become Economic and Federal Crimes Commission and have a mandate to include interstate and all federal crimes, since they have a good platform to build on).
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by subice(m): 8:51pm On Oct 14, 2008
DeepZone:

Lmao, if you finger print a Nigerian armed robber and set him free, you are on your own because his next port of call will be to attack that crime lab. grin

Well, that'll be a futile exercise because the information would be stored electronically and backed-up locally and centrally. And he'd get re-arrested.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by blackspade(m): 9:13pm On Oct 14, 2008
I'm speechless.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by stanech: 10:41pm On Oct 14, 2008
1000 Ak47 shocked cheesy shocked shocked

I hope they are not planning a civil war \

police with 1000 Ak47 God help us
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DeepZone: 10:42pm On Oct 14, 2008
1000 Ak47 Shocked Cheesy Shocked Shocked

I hope they are not planning a civil war \

police with 1000 Ak47 God help us
Wharrrever! grin grin
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DisGuy: 11:14pm On Oct 14, 2008
what sort of APCs are we talking about?

when we are not in a war zone, I just cant imagine the police driving Armoured cars about
town for routine patrols
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by diggler(m): 1:05am On Oct 15, 2008
@Subice

CSI is what it is, a television series that is designed to garner top ratings & ultimately money for networks, producers etc.
In the real world (9ja ghetto) those big big grammer dont solve no crimes.
Tho that dont mean we wont adopt a few basic like fingerprint db & all.

However, what i think our police really need is proper training & motivation for the men on the streets.
Check it, Its a big deal to see an armed Cop in d UK yet, they have one of the best crime fighting units in da world.

Most ppl join d police force in this country cos they dont got options & some dont 'yet' have the cojones to do real crime.
With better service conditons & imroved image of the force, that would change.

i dont see why police wont fight with Banks & Oil companies to recruit 2.1 or even 1st class graduates
i dont see why ex-military officers wont join the police at senior ranks or in consultancy capacities offering their combat experience to the Service.

Its not like the 'Big bellied coyotes' at the top dont know these things, its just that they wont do em cos of greed.

we have a long way to go, but hopefully we'll get there.

Long live nigeria.

btw, the guns r a short term solution to match armed robber firepower.
tho i can only wonder if we did not just buy extra 1000 AKs 4 dem Omila boys
Afterall 'our friends' in da police have been known to provide logistic support
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by bawomolo(m): 1:34am On Oct 15, 2008
Dis Guy:

what sort of APCs are we talking about?

when we are not in a war zone, I just can't imagine the police driving Armoured cars about
town for routine patrols

not really, the US police used APC's to combat crackhouses. they come in useful in violent situations such as religious and ethnic riots common in nigeria. i agree with the issue about forensics. the funsho williams and bola ige cases have highlighted that.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DeepZone: 1:38am On Oct 15, 2008
I think our police needs hand grenades too in order to battle armed robbers effectively. kiss
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by bawomolo(m): 2:29am On Oct 15, 2008
DeepZone:

I think our police needs hand grenades too in order to battle armed robbers effectively.

huh is the police fighting rebels or armed robbers??
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by Okijajuju1(m): 2:39am On Oct 15, 2008
They should take away all those guns and give them catapult jare.
Those guns are just license to kill.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DeepZone: 2:47am On Oct 15, 2008

huh is the police fighting rebels or armed robbers??

Lol; Are armed robbers not societal rebels?
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by bawomolo(m): 2:55am On Oct 15, 2008
DeepZone:

Lol; Are armed robbers not societal rebels?

by rebels i mean groups like the FARC or shining path. hand grenades would cause lots of unnecessary civilian deaths.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by DeepZone: 3:13am On Oct 15, 2008
by rebels i mean groups like the FARC or shining path. hand grenades would cause lots of unnecessary civilian deaths.
I know. I was just messing with ya.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by Nobody: 4:00am On Oct 15, 2008
. . . hope they put them to good use.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by landis(m): 8:05am On Oct 15, 2008
If this is true, time to dump Lagos.

Have they ever sat down and study causes of armed-robbery in Nigeria?

Getting more GUNS is not the solution.

We know the Police HIRE GUNS out to armed-robbers as they make more money from it.

This would rather increase armed robbery.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 15, 2008
landis:

If this is true, time to dump Lagos.

Have they ever sat down and study causes of armed-robbery in Nigeria?

Getting more GUNS is not the solution.

We know the Police HIRE GUNS out to armed-robbers as they make more money from it.

This would rather increase armed robbery.

u know.

time to get the hell out of Lagos, with 1,000 brand new AKs in the hands of those armed robbers in uniform.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by damiso(f): 12:30pm On Oct 15, 2008
Naija police+ more guns=better equiped armed robbers.
Re: Lagos Donates 1,000 Ak47 Riffles To Police by frag(m): 1:23pm On Oct 15, 2008
What would the guns be used for?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Verdict According To Olusegun Adeniyi; The Days Of The ‘cabal’…(ii) / Dangote Again, And Again . . : Largest Fertiliser Plant On Mama Africa. / How Nigeria Can Win Back Bakassi Peninsula – Prof Oyebode Of UNILAG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.