Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,777 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:51 PM

Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? (4174 Views)

Pump Action Riffles Concealed With POP Cement Intercepted By Customs (Photos) / OPC And Military To Tackle Militants In Lagos. Photos / Militants And Military Clash In Arepo And Ibafo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 1:42am On Oct 27, 2015
This thread is motivated by the menace of Fulani herdsmen, but particularly about the legality of the AK-47s they carry about in Nigeria. This issue is important because the Fulani herdsmen often overpower local vigilantes who are armed with shot-guns (armed according to Nigerian law). News abound in all parts of Southern Nigeria about killings, robberies and rapes by the herdsmen.

Nigerian law prohibits non-military members of the public from carrying military grade weapons such as the 7.62×39mm of the AK-47.
So, who issues the licenses that legalize these weapons in Fulani hands?
Why can't local vigilantes -whose primary job is community security- obtain the licenses to carry similar weapons?

According to the Nigerian Firearms Act -Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1990 (Chapter 146) Schedules:

Schedule
(Sections 2, 3-5, 9, 24-26, 34)

Part I
Prohibited Firearms

Artillery.
Apparatus for the discharge of any explosive or gas-diffusing projectile.
Rocket weapons.
Bombs and grenades.
Machine-guns and machine-pistols.
Military rifles, namely those of calibres 7.62 mm, 9 mm., .300 inches and .303 inches.

Revolvers and pistols whether rifled or unrifled (including flint-lock pistols and cap pistols).

Any other firearm not specified in Part II or Part III of this Schedule.

Part II

Personal Firearms

1.            Shotguns other than-

(a)            automatic and semi-automatic shotguns; and

(b)            shotguns provided with any kind of mechanical reloading device.

2.   Sporting rifles, namely rifles of calibres other than those specified in Item 6 of Part I.

3.  Air-guns, air-rifles or air-pistols.

4.   Humane killers of the captive bolt type.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Firearms%20Act.htm

3 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 1:48am On Oct 27, 2015
My question is simple: Assuming that the Fulani herdsmen are licensed to carry military grade riffles, why can't the local farmers and community vigilantes obtain similar licenses? Why are they condemned to carry only shot guns and be completely at the mercy of better armed herdsmen?
I am for a totally gun-free society; but what is totally unacceptable is unequal access to firearms by members of the public.
If Fulani must carry military grade riffles to protect their cattle, I need similar arms to protect my farm. QED.

6 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by nwanwaoge(m): 4:22am On Oct 27, 2015
It's not funny....it's surely going messier i presume......with indices before us...May God help us all....true federalism can curb these
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by ZKOSOSO(m): 4:23am On Oct 27, 2015
The same power mongers.
Born to rule share these weapons generously to these death merchants to keep killing the non Fulanis in south and middle belt!

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by Pavore9: 5:01am On Oct 27, 2015
That is a good question.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by ewigmee: 6:54am On Oct 27, 2015
Ask kwakanso.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by Khd95(m): 7:07am On Oct 27, 2015
D first question is should our military still b using d current riffle

Then why should dos knuckle heads b allowed to even carry gun about,b it any grade,i no they value their cows anyways.

Cc:lalasticlala
container has landed,help us move it to terminus(fp)
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by DjAndroid: 8:38am On Oct 27, 2015
THEY ARE JUST CRIMINALS USING CATTLE TO COVER UP.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by rejoice4eva(m): 8:47am On Oct 27, 2015
Nigeria we hail thee. I am very sure that there is going to be a way out of this very dark tunnel. Very, very sad at the level of inhumanity, injustice,insensisitivity and wickedness that pervades our society. God please help us.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by bolaino(m): 9:10am On Oct 27, 2015
carnegiefan:
This thread is motivated by the menace of Fulani herdsmen, but particularly about the legality of the AK-47s they carry about in Nigeria. This issue is important because the Fulani herdsmen often overpower local vigilantes who are armed with shot-guns (armed according to Nigerian law). News abound in all parts of Southern Nigeria about killings, robberies and rapes by the herdsmen.

Nigerian law prohibits non-military members of the public from carrying military grade weapons such as the 7.62×39mm of the AK-47.
So, who issues the licenses that legalize these weapons in Fulani hands?
Why can't local vigilantes -whose primary job is community security- obtain the licenses to carry similar weapons?

According to the Nigerian Firearms Act -Laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1990 (Chapter 146) Schedules:

Schedule
(Sections 2, 3-5, 9, 24-26, 34)

Part I
Prohibited Firearms

Artillery.
Apparatus for the discharge of any explosive or gas-diffusing projectile.
Rocket weapons.
Bombs and grenades.
Machine-guns and machine-pistols.
Military rifles, namely those of calibres 7.62 mm, 9 mm., .300 inches and .303 inches.

Revolvers and pistols whether rifled or unrifled (including flint-lock pistols and cap pistols).

Any other firearm not specified in Part II or Part III of this Schedule.

Part II

Personal Firearms

1.            Shotguns other than-

(a)            automatic and semi-automatic shotguns; and

(b)            shotguns provided with any kind of mechanical reloading device.

2.   Sporting rifles, namely rifles of calibres other than those specified in Item 6 of Part I.

3.  Air-guns, air-rifles or air-pistols.

4.   Humane killers of the captive bolt type.

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Firearms%20Act.htm

this poster is making some good points

3 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by LastSurvivor: 9:11am On Oct 27, 2015
I think they av the backing of a superior being, most especially now their brother is in power..
Mind u, he "buhari" is yet to condemn their act not to talk of mandating Arase to arrest n persecute them..

Well done @OP

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 27, 2015
Op thanks for the constant intellectual contributions to nairaland.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 6:51pm On Oct 27, 2015
NAIJASOM:
Op thanks for the constant intellectual contributions to nairaland.

You're welcome bro.
But you wonder why a thread like this won't make frontpage.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 6:54pm On Oct 27, 2015
LastSurvivor:
I think they av the backing of a superior being, most especially now their brother is in power..
Mind u, he "buhari" is yet to condemn their act not to talk of mandating Arase to arrest n persecute them..

Well done @OP

Very good observation. But you find governors in parts of south -particularly SE- issuing shoot at sight orders against UNARMED demonstrators.

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by DIVINE78: 7:18pm On Oct 27, 2015
Good observation.

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by QuotaSystem: 7:25pm On Oct 27, 2015
Most likely where Igbo Kidnappers get their licenses?

[img]http://1.bp..com/-QKV6xMcqj0Y/VQFYZp7eU4I/AAAAAAAASG8/9HUfFcBCis4/s1600/Kidnappers.png[/img]
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 7:46pm On Oct 27, 2015
QuotaSystem:

[img]http://1.bp..com/-QKV6xMcqj0Y/VQFYZp7eU4I/AAAAAAAASG8/9HUfFcBCis4/s1600/Kidnappers.png[/img]

So how many of the "igbo kidnappers" walk around openly with AK-47s?
Hate beclouds common sense and reasoning capacity.
Save your brains from decay.

13 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by QuotaSystem: 7:50pm On Oct 27, 2015
Are you completely daft or you're just unnaturally slow? Was your question not about licensing? So in your infant reasoning it's completely fine to carry unlicensed dangerous fire arms as long as you don't walk around?

Stop embarrassing yourself undecided

carnegiefan:

So how many of the "igbo kidnappers" walk around openly with AK-47s?
Hate beclouds common sense and reasoning capacity.
Save your brains from decay.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 7:56pm On Oct 27, 2015
QuotaSystem:
Are you completely daft or you're just unnaturally slow? Was your question not about licensing? So in your infant reasoning it's completely fine to carry unlicensed dangerous fire arms as long as you don't walk around?

Every new day, we get new trolls, dumber than the ones before them.
And when we say that Nigeria is a zoo, they get offended.

TROLL ALERT.
IGNORED henceforth. cool

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 7:58pm On Oct 27, 2015
@Topic issue reiterated: WHY SHOULD FULANI CARRY ASSAULT RIFFLES "LEGALLY", BUT NOT ANY OTHER MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC?

If the guns are illegal, are law enforcement agencies blind to arrest them?

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by speedyGonzales: 8:00pm On Oct 27, 2015
that's like asking where do boko haram get their weapons from?

good question...

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by QuotaSystem: 8:04pm On Oct 27, 2015
I've shut you up. Bloody hypocrite.

carnegiefan:

[s]

Every new day, we get new trolls, dumber than the ones before them.
And when we say that Nigeria is a zoo, they get offended.

TROLL ALERT.
IGNORED henceforth. cool[/s]
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 8:06pm On Oct 27, 2015
speedyGonzales:
that's like asking where do boko haram get their weapons from?

good question...

Boko haram are not walking around towns and villages with AK-47s.
They (like kidnappers) are faceless criminals who hide and dodge from law enforcement officers.
But Fulani walk around freely with these illegal guns and with TOTAL impunity.
This made me to think that they must have licenses to carry them.
If they have licenses to carry these weapons, why not such licenses be made available to farmers and vigilantes?
If they are carrying the guns illegally, why can they get away with it?

This question exposes the rot that is the Nigerian justice system.

4 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by QuotaSystem: 8:09pm On Oct 27, 2015
The same reason ND militants carry Assault Rifles "LEGALLY"? Maybe?

Instead of arresting them, they are paid stipends. Hypocrite have you wondered why?

Let it be noted that any Ibos, Ijaws, Fulanis or Yorubas carrying unlicensed fire arms whether walking around, hiding in a cave or jumping up and down, are BLOOD SUCKING CRIMINALS and should be arrested and prosecuted.

carnegiefan:
@Topic issue reiterated: WHY SHOULD FULANI CARRY ASSAULT RIFFLES "LEGALLY", BUT NOT ANY OTHER MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC?

If the guns are illegal, are law enforcement agencies blind to arrest them?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by mikolo80: 8:44pm On Oct 27, 2015
carnegiefan:
My question is simple: Assuming that the Fulani herdsmen are licensed to carry military grade riffles, why can't the local farmers and community vigilantes obtain similar licenses? Why are they condemned to carry only shot guns and be completely at the mercy of better armed herdsmen?
I am for a totally gun-free society; but what is totally unacceptable is unequal access to firearms by members of the public.
If Fulani must carry military grade riffles to protect their cattle, I need similar arms to protect my farm. QED.
na for bush police go de check licence
if the farmers and rustlees like make dem no go get pump action and Winchester/remington/rat poison
make dem de dia de blow grammar
license or no license
g must get AK for house
it's assumed g seized it from the criminal if I can't hide it before police come
i go get the pump action for cover
but Lord help anybody wen think say my family is for raping
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by carnegiefan: 1:06am On Oct 28, 2015
mikolo80:
na for bush police go de check licence
if the farmers and rustlees like make dem no go get pump action and Winchester/remington/rat poison
make dem de dia de blow grammar
license or no license
g must get AK for house
it's assumed g seized it from the criminal if I can't hide it before police come
i go get the pump action for cover
but Lord help anybody wen think say my family is for raping

hehehe! cheesy grin

Noted. cool
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by Yujin(m): 3:52am On Oct 28, 2015
Until questions like these are asked many will not know that they are in for a long thing. Yesterday it was at Akure where a man was arrested for carrying a shotgun but here we have fulani herdsmen walking all around with assault rifles yet no security official dares do anything to them. A clear case of George Orwell's Animal Farm yet some want me to pay my allegiance to such a slave camp,*in Olu Jacob's voice* NEVER!

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by PRYCE(m): 6:02am On Oct 28, 2015
They are just like every Criminal who carries Military Spec. Weapons Illegally... why single them out?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by Kagawa10: 7:05am On Oct 28, 2015
QuotaSystem:

2 wrongs don't make right, dummy!
I can assure you that with the way you Fulani wanderers are disgracing yourselves daily, true federalism will be reinstated and then, you will experience the true suffer you eediots have been clamouring for!
Shameless bush people!

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by Kagawa10: 7:06am On Oct 28, 2015
Yujin:
Until questions like these are asked many will not know that they are in for a long thing. Yesterday it was at Akure where a man was arrested for carrying a shotgun but here we have fulani herdsmen walking all around with assault rifles yet no security official dares do anything to them. A clear case of George Orwell's Animal Farm yet some want me to pay my allegiance to such a slave camp,*in Olu Jacob's voice* NEVER!
Tell that to your greedy ibo senators who keep opposing the Federalism bids!
Yeye people!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by OBAFEMIawolowo: 7:11am On Oct 28, 2015
QuotaSystem:

you must not tribalize this thread, everything is not tribalism. Must you always act like a baby?

Op is making a good point and you are acting like a kid...smh

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen And Military Grade Riffles: Who Issues The Licenses? by QuotaSystem: 8:16am On Oct 28, 2015
You're just a bigoted irritant, until you realize that these fulani herdsmen are criminals like your southern criminals that have been terrorizing the country for decades with armed robbery, ritual killing, kidnapping etc., you will continue to be reminded of your shameless hypocrisy.

2 wrongs don't make a right? Are you blind from excess ethanol filed ogogoro?

QuotaSystem:
[b]
Let it be noted that any Ibos, Ijaws, Fulanis or Yorubas carrying unlicensed fire arms whether walking around, hiding in a cave or jumping up and down, are BLOOD SUCKING CRIMINALS and should be arrested and prosecuted.

The campaign to demonize the entire fulani race using the herders that form less than 1% of the fulani population as cannon fodder, because of her political dominance will fail as it's no secret it is part of a political agenda.

Imagine the backward and satanic cannibals and ritual killers calling nomadic herdsmen bush people; what were they before grin?

Kagawa10:

2 wrongs don't make right, dummy!
I can assure you that with the way you Fulani wanderers are disgracing yourselves daily, true federalism will be reinstated and then, you will experience the true suffer you eediots have been clamouring for!
Shameless bush people!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zaria Killings: Sack Buratai Now- Sahara Reporters / Anti-rape Condoms With Teeth For Women (pics) / Kogi Governor, Yahaya Bello Has Set A Time Bomb For Himself

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.