Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,842 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? (2434 Views)

Sultan Announces MOON Sighting For Ramadan / Alhaji Razak Gawat Is Still Missing... Nta 10 Made An Error / Muslim Group To Form Shield Of Protection For Churches On Sunday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by highrank(m): 11:18am On Jul 29, 2014
The Sultan of sokoto and the chairman of supreme council for Islamic affairs(SCIA),Alh. Saad Abubakar has accepted as a mistake the declaration of Sunday 27/6/2014 .Therefore if that is the case those who did not fast on that day but celebrated 'id base on Sultan information must repay back a day fasting. m.premiumtimesng.com/news/165715-exclusive-sultans-palace-admits-moon-wasnt-sighted-before-sokoto-monarch-called-off-ramadan-in-nigeria.html?wpmp_tp=1
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by Ambidexter(m): 11:59am On Jul 29, 2014
Does that mean they're gonna fix another date for the sallah celebrations? I wasnt asking you... just tinking aloud
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 1:04pm On Jul 29, 2014
Maclatunji
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 1:08pm On Jul 29, 2014
The committee carried out its assignment between 6:45PM and 7:45PM on Sunday.

The palace of Sultan Sa’ad Abubakar has now admitted that the Sultan made a mistake by announcing the end of Ramadan based on claims by some Nigerian Muslims that they sighted the new moon of Shawwal on Saturday night.

The result of the joint moonsighting exercise undertaken by the Sultanate Moon Sighting Committee and the Nigerian National Moonsighting Committee on Sunday clearly showed that the monarch erred in the pronouncement he made on Saturday prematurely terminating the Ramadan fast in Nigeria.

The Sultan, who is also the President of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs [NSCIA], commissioned the joint moonsighting investigation after his Saturday call triggered controversy, with some of the nation’s foremost clerics as well as the Secretary General of the NSCIA, Is-haq Oloyede, openly questioning his judgment.

The result of the investigation, also endorsed by the Sultan’s representatives, was unambiguous: The claim that the moon was sighted on Saturday was questionable as it was impossible for anyone to see the moon anywhere in the world at that time.

The report of the joint committee, compiled by Usman Mahmud, a research officer with the National Moon Sighting Committee, reads in part:

“I write to inform you that we (the National Moon Sighting Committee) and the Sultanate Moon Sighting Committee went to the Sighting of Moon today (Sunday, July 27, 2014).

“The moon was not sighted with naked eye or with telescope and binocular. However, we used some programmes and software applications like Skymap, Stellarium and Virtual Moon to get the details of the moon.

“The details of the Moon are: Age: 19H (hour) 05M(minutes); Hour Angle/DE:04H 45M 11S(seconds)/ +12 21’11′; Distance between sun and moon: 3.5′.”

Experts say the result of the investigation suggested that the Sultan erred by declaring the end of Ramadan and beginning of Shawwal even when a new moon had not been born.

“It was a big error,” said Sheikh Abdulrazaq Ishola, a member of the Moonsighting Committee Worldwide, who himself was at the AlBayrouny Observatory in Mecca that Saturday in search of the moon. “The (Sultan’s) announcement embarrassed Nigeria all over the world because in no other place was such ridiculous claim of sighting the moon on Saturday made.

“How can anyone claim that he saw the moon even when conjunction of the moon and the sun had just taken place? That is impossible. In any case, where should we ask people to find a moon that had not been born?”

Mr. Ishola explained that after conjunction takes place, (which he said occurred at 11:47 PM on Saturday), it usually takes about 17 hours for the moon to be sighted with a telescope and between 18 and 23 hours to be visible to the naked eye.

“What happened in Nigeria is disrespect to Islam and Muslims,” the cleric, who is also a a member of the Abu Dhabi-based Islamic Crescent Observatory Project, said. “We are in the 21st century, yet we are still living in the past in Nigeria.”

Sultan Abubakar had around midnight on Saturday announced the sighting of the new moon and therefore the end of Ramadan, making Nigeria the only country in the world which celebrated Eid on Sunday.

“The new month of Shawwal was sighted in different places within Nigeria and therefore tomorrow (Sunday) is the first day of Shawwal equivalent to 27 July 2014,” the Sultan said in an announcement aired on the Nigerian Television Authority [NTA].

But when contacted after the Sultan’s announcement, the Secretary-General of the organisation, Is-haq Oloyede, a professor of Islamic Studies, told PREMIUM TIMES he was not aware the moon had been sighted.

“I spoke to the Sultan about four times tonight (Saturday) and he did not tell me that the moon has been sighted,” Mr. Oloyede told PREMIUM TIMES. “In any case, any such claim is ridiculous and unscientific. It cannot be right.

“The National Moon-Sighting Committee has not informed us of any credible sighting of the moon. Rather, they said the moon wasn’t sighted. The new moon was only born at 11:45 P.M. tonight (Saturday) and it will take several hours for it to be sighted.

“Is our own sky different? Is our own moon manufactured in Nigeria?” he said.[sub][/sub]
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 1:10pm On Jul 29, 2014
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by Rilwayne001: 1:10pm On Jul 29, 2014
embarassed Yeeepa

1 Like

Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by maclatunji: 1:11pm On Jul 29, 2014
tbaba1234: Maclatunji

2 things.

The procedure is not to rely on Premium Times report to reverse such a decision.

The Sultan has to come out and announce any such error. Then we who followed his announcement can make an additional day of fasting. It is that simple.

1 Like

Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 1:12pm On Jul 29, 2014
How can only Nigeria see moon? Na to repay one fast back
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by maclatunji: 1:19pm On Jul 29, 2014
tbaba1234: How can only Nigeria see moon? Na to repay one fast back

If those that reported that they sighted the moon insist that they saw it and the sultan does retract his announcement, we have followed the sunnah. All other debates are academic.

This is why I asked Al Baqir on the other thread what the procedure for starting and ending Ramadan is according to the sunnah. He simply refused to answer. You can help him with that.

All announcements have to be official and moon sighting is indeed local.

1 Like

Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 1:20pm On Jul 29, 2014
maclatunji:

2 things.

The procedure is not to rely on Premium Times report to reverse such a decision.

The Sultan has to come out and announce any such error. Then we who followed his announcement can make an additional day of fasting. It is that simple.

I am suprised that you have been backing such ridiculousness, they could only have seen the moon by a miracle.

1 Like

Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by ShehuAba(m): 1:48pm On Jul 29, 2014
Yes the controversy continues.
Unless what I am reading is not true. where in this report did the sultan admitted such error. Even the report of the joint committee which was given in parts didn't suggest that. where Is the conclusion. premium times jumped into conclusion and are telling us about experts. where are the experts? They mentioned Dr ishola whom they claim wasn't even in Nigeria then. And prof oloyede whose Stance is already known before now.
What's stopping them from conducting an interview with him or people close to him like P.A etc.
As a media house they have the foi bill in their kitty and they should do a thorough research.
As for me, until the sultan come out publicly and admit this, I don't believe this crap. shikena
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 2:05pm On Jul 29, 2014
ShehuAba: Yes the controversy continues.
Unless what I am reading is not true. where in this report did the sultan admitted such error. Even the report of the joint committee which was given in parts didn't suggest that. where Is the conclusion. premium times jumped into conclusion and are telling us about experts. where are the experts? They mentioned Dr ishola whom they claim wasn't even in Nigeria then. And prof oloyede whose Stance is already known before now.

According to the report, the Sultan ordered an investigation and the result was that no moon was sighted:

The Sultan, who is also the President of the Nigerian Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs [NSCIA], commissioned the joint moonsighting investigation after his Saturday call triggered controversy, with some of the nation’s foremost clerics as well as the Secretary General of the NSCIA, Is-haq Oloyede, openly questioning his judgment.

The result of the investigation, also endorsed by the Sultan’s representatives, was unambiguous: The claim that the moon was sighted on Saturday was questionable as it was impossible for anyone to see the moon anywhere in the world at that time.

The report of the joint committee, compiled by Usman Mahmud, a research officer with the National Moon Sighting Committee, reads in part:

“I write to inform you that we (the National Moon Sighting Committee) and the Sultanate Moon Sighting Committee went to the Sighting of Moon today (Sunday, July 27, 2014).

“The moon was not sighted with Unclad eye or with telescope and binocular. However, we used some programmes and software applications like Skymap, Stellarium and Virtual Moon to get the details of the moon.

“The details of the Moon are: Age: 19H (hour) 05M(minutes); Hour Angle/DE:04H 45M 11S(seconds)/ +12 21’11′; Distance between sun and moon: 3.5′.”

If the investigating committee says no moon was sighted then we can't have Eid.

Now we await an official retraction, I hope he is courageous enough to make one. It would be very embarrassing.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by maclatunji: 2:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
@!tbaba, what is the sunnah for starting and ending the fast? This should be our policy on this matter. It is not news that those using computers have said they think it is impossible for the moon to have been sighted on Saturday night.

There is no difficulty in this. If the Sultan comes out and says his announcement was wrong, we will repay one day. That kind of announcement can never be a Premium Times exclusive. It will be a press conference carried by all!

2 Likes

Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by sino(m): 2:30pm On Jul 29, 2014
If you are waiting on the Sultan to come on TV to make an announcement, then i'm afraid you are on a long thing, but i am hopeful....
I believe this report is suffient for a wise Muslim.

Just repay a day fast lobatan!
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by ShehuAba(m): 2:32pm On Jul 29, 2014
tbaba1234:

According to the report, the Sultan ordered an investigation and the result was that no moon was sighted:

“The moon was not sighted with Unclad eye or with telescope and binocular. However, we used some programmes and software applications like Skymap, Stellarium and Virtual Moon to get the details of the moon.

If the investigating committee says no moon was sighted then we can't have Eid.

Now we await an official retraction, I hope he is courageous enough to make one. It would be very embarrassing.

According to the report: It was not authoritative to say that the moon was not sighted. They said: Experts suggested that the results of the investigation indicated that the sultan erred in his submission.
Now where is the acceptance? A suggestion can never be a conclusion. Now they said the sultan palace, where in the report suggests the palace or its members accepted the error.
Let's be factual, this report is a crap and can not be relied upon. They are just trying to mislead with this ambiguous heading and report

1 Like

Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 2:35pm On Jul 29, 2014
maclatunji: @!tbaba, what is the sunnah for starting and ending the fast? This should be our polcy on this matter. It is not news that those using computers have said they think it is impossible for the moon to have been sighted on Saturday night.

Moon sighted, fast ends.

Are we the only country upholding the sunnah? We can definitely tell when it is impossible to see the moon with the knowledge that Allah has provided.

We also use technology to determine the time for salat. Would you rather go outside and look at the weather?

The report is the investigation of the investigating committee, let us see if the Sultan makes it official.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 2:38pm On Jul 29, 2014
ShehuAba:

According to the report: It was not authoritative to say that the moon was not sighted. They said: Experts suggested that the results of the investigation indicated that the sultan erred in his submission.
Now where is the acceptance? A suggestion can never be a conclusion. Now they said the sultan palace, where in the report suggests the palace or its members accepted the error.
Let's be factual, this report is a crap and can not be relied upon. They are just trying to mislead with this ambiguous heading and report

Read the report of the investigative group:

The moon was not sighted with Unclad eye or with telescope and binocular. However, we used some programmes and software applications like Skymap, Stellarium and Virtual Moon to get the details of the moon

The report is saying no moon was sighted ,
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by ShehuAba(m): 2:38pm On Jul 29, 2014
sino: If you are waiting on the Sultan to come on TV to make an announcement, then i'm afraid you are on a long thing, but i am hopeful....
I believe this report is suffient for a wise Muslim.

Just repay a day fast lobatan!

How is it sufficient for a wise Muslim. we don't expect him to come on TV and allude to it. But we can also not fast in error. The fact that you didn't agree with the sultan doesn't mean you should support false hood. The report is not comprehensive enough for us to start repaying our fast. Premium times didn't order us to fast and break our fast. Rather it was the sultan we obeyed. So we await him to make a pronouncement on this , if it's really true.

1 Like

Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by ShehuAba(m): 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2014
tbaba1234:

The moon was not sighted with Unclad eye or with telescope and binocular. However, we used some programmes and software applications like Skymap, Stellarium and Virtual Moon to get the details of the moon

The report said no moon was sighted by them on Sunday between 6:45pm and 7:45pm, and they used telescopes etc, and it was not sighted. Agreed
Now, where is the conclusion from the committee to suggest that the sultan actually made an error. At least after every investigation there is always a conclusion. Why didn't premium times inform us of that rather than making hasty conclusions. And indicting the sultan unjustifiably.
Am not against the report or claiming it was not right. But things must be put in their proper perspectives.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by ShehuAba(m): 2:52pm On Jul 29, 2014
tbaba1234:

Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by sino(m): 2:57pm On Jul 29, 2014
ShehuAba:

How is it sufficient for a wise Muslim. we don't expect him to come on TV and allude to it. But we can also not fast in error. The fact that you didn't agree with the sultan doesn't mean you should support false hood. The report is not comprehensive enough for us to start repaying our fast. Premium times didn't order us to fast and break our fast. Rather it was the sultan we obeyed. So we await him to make a pronouncement on this , if it's really true.
I am not supporting falsehood, i support the truth. The science approach is empirical and reproducible, Allah did not grant us knowlledge and the intellect for fun...

There is always a reward for fasting, either for repaying a missed fast or voluntary...It will cost you nothing.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by vedaxcool(m): 2:57pm On Jul 29, 2014
This argument is becoming irritating, this could have been avoided if those who claimed to have been using scientific method had stated before saturday night that it would be impossible to sight the moon, Rather than wait for an announcement to be made?

I am still amazed that anybody would go as far to claim he saw the moon when he did, or could it a miracle as thaba suggested?

NSCI has not handled the issue with wisdom, is there some sort of in fighting? I don't understand why members are rushing to make comments to the media as a tactic to pressure the sultan into taking their side?

Now we are cut up between the normal sunnah way of sighting the moon and sitting behind your computer and concluding there was no moon!
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 3:01pm On Jul 29, 2014
ShehuAba:

The report said no moon was sighted by them on Sunday between 6:45pm and 7:45pm, and they used telescopes etc, and it was not sighted. Agreed
Now, where is the conclusion from the committee to suggest that the sultan actually made an error. At least after? every investigation there is always a conclusion. Why didn't premium times inform us of that rather than making hasty conclusions. And indicting the sultan unjustifiably.
Am not against the report or claiming it was not right. But things must be put in their proper perspectives.

What is the conclusion if the moon was not sighted?

No one is indicting the sultan, he makes announcements based on reports available to him.

It is a positive thing to see that he ordered an investigation into the matter.

Let us hope, he makes the difficult step of retraction.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by maclatunji: 3:12pm On Jul 29, 2014
vedaxcool: This argument is becoming irritating, this could have been avoided if those who claimed to have been using scientific method had stated before saturday night that it would be impossible to sight the moon, Rather than wait for an announcement to be made?

I am still amazed that anybody would go as far to claim he saw the moon when he did, or could it a miracle as thaba suggested?

NSCI has not handled the issue with wisdom, is there some sort of in fighting? I don't understand why members are rushing to make comments to the media as a tactic to pressure the sultan into taking their side?

Now we are cut up between the normal sunnah way of sighting the moon and sitting behind your computer and concluding there was no moon!

Thank you my brother. I have said it multiple times: "follow the sunnah and avoid confusion".

Those dashing to give "exclusives" to Premium Times on an issue that affects Muslims in Nigeria in general are at the very least myopic.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by maclatunji: 3:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
tbaba1234:

Moon sighted, fast ends.

Are we the only country upholding the sunnah? We can definitely tell when it is impossible to see the moon with the knowledge that Allah has provided.

We also use technology to determine the time for salat. Would you rather go outside and look at the weather?

The report is the investigation of the investigating committee, let us see if the Sultan makes it official.

Guy, it is either you answer this simple question or hold your peace.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 3:16pm On Jul 29, 2014
maclatunji:

Thank you my brother. I have said it multiple times: "follow the sunnah and avoid confusion".

Those dashing to give "exclusives" to Premium Times on an issue that affects Muslims in Nigeria in general are at the very least myopic.

Can you please outline this Sunnah??
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by ShehuAba(m): 3:23pm On Jul 29, 2014
It seems tbaba1234 and sino are getting me all wrong.
The investigative report is a good thing. from the report by premium times they are trying to insinuate as if they sultan and his palace have alluded to it. A report is subject to acceptance or rejection. No media house has the right to speak for the sultan or any body. They should be objective in their reportage and not mislead the citizenry as they have done thus far with this report.
That's what I am insinuating and until something credible is reported I won't accept it.
@ sino I am aware of the reward for fasting and it takes me nothing to fast but I will never do that when am not supposed.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by maclatunji: 3:31pm On Jul 29, 2014
tbaba1234:
Can you please outline this Sunnah??

It is wrong for you to ask me when I asked you first. I have written about it before. Go throuh my posts and quote me if you like.

By the way, this article is insightful with this computer issue that you rely on so much!

http://www.islam21c.com/islamic-law/964-an-insight-into-moon-sighting/
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by maclatunji: 3:36pm On Jul 29, 2014
ShehuAba: It seems tbaba1234 and sino are getting me all wrong.
The investigative report is a good thing. from the report by premium times they are trying to insinuate as if they sultan and his palace have alluded to it. A report is subject to acceptance or rejection. No media house has the right to speak for the sultan or any body. They should be objective in their reportage and not mislead the citizenry as they have done thus far with this report.
That's what I am insinuating and until something credible is reported I won't accept it.
@ sino I am aware of the reward for fasting and it takes me nothing to fast but I will never do that when am not supposed.

It is common sense now. The only reason to admit an error is to correct its negative effects. In this case, the Sultan would need to release a signed press statement after making a televised press conference. Premium Times and My "Front Yard Times" would then report the news and TV and Radio stations would carry the same news.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by tbaba1234: 5:12pm On Jul 29, 2014
maclatunji:

It is wrong for you to ask me when I asked you first. I have written about it before. Go throuh my posts and quote me if you like.

You have twisted everything said to be 'against the sunnah'.

Outline the sunnah that we have gone against.

Visual sighting of the moon is the only sunnah that I am aware of and I have never gone against that.

So please what is this Sunnah, that we have gone against.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by AlBaqir(m): 5:32pm On Jul 29, 2014
Rilwayne001: embarassed Yeeepa

grin akhi you waka follow sultan? Hope u no commit "kafara" o. grin

Eid Mubarak.
Re: Sultan's Palace Admits That Celebrating 'id On Sunday Was An Error? by AlBaqir(m): 5:44pm On Jul 29, 2014
maclatunji and all NL muslim brethren kindly for Allah's sake read this: it explain the meaning of the hadith (sunnah) you repeatedly and constantly quoting citing interpretations of various Ulama (past and present):

The Fiqh council of North America (FCNA) have a very beautiful article tagged "An Analysis Of Moon Sighting Argument"
www.fiqhcouncil.org/node/21

Kindly take your time and read.

Salam.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Operation Islamic Books 4Shared / The Lives Of Religious Minorities In The Islamic Republic Of Iran / Behold The Pope Praying Islamic Way In A Mosque

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.