Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,085 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? (2214 Views)

Woman Delivers A Bible And A Baby In Osun State - NTA [PICS+VIDEO] / See What Nigerian Women Can Do (photos) / God bless all Mothers. Amen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by babygirlfl: 1:18pm On Jul 29, 2014
I understand that everybody is not a Christian and I am not in any way asking anybody to follow or not to follow these verses. I have seen these verses come up too many times in discussions and whenever I see it come up, I can't help but think if many of us actually realise the magnitude of what the bible asks us to do. I have seen women who say they are submissive but then keep their own finance. I have seen men who say they love their wife just like it is in the bible but yet say their mum is the most important to them.

Ephesians 5:22-25

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
I googles submit and this came up

submit
səbˈmɪt/Submit
verb
accept or yield to a superior force or to the authority or will of another person.
"the original settlers were forced to submit to Bulgarian rule"
synonyms: give in, yield, give way, back down, cave in, bow, capitulate, relent, defer, agree, consent, accede, conform, acquiesce, comply, accept; surrender, lay down one's arms, raise/show/wave the white flag, knuckle under, humble oneself, bend the knee, kowtow, fall; informalthrow in the towel/sponge
"the countess had submitted under duress"
be governed by, abide by, be regulated by, comply with, observe, heed, accept, tolerate, endure, brook, put up with, stomach, adhere to, be subject to, agree to, consent to, conform to;
informalkeep in step, play by the rules, play it by the book, take it lying down, lump it;
informalwear;
archaicsuffer
"he refused to submit to censorship"

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

everything
ˈɛvrɪθɪŋ/Submit
pronoun
all things.
"they did everything together"
synonyms: each item, each thing, every article, every single thing, the lot, the whole lot, the entirety, the total, the aggregate; all; informalthe whole (kit and) caboodle, the whole shooting match, the whole shebang, everything but the kitchen sink; informalthe full monty; informalthe whole ball of wax, the whole nine yards
"the guards searched through everything"

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
give oneself up (to someone or something)
1. Lit. to surrender to someone or something. Fran gave herself up to the disease. Walter gave himself up to the police.
2. Fig. to devote oneself to someone or something; to give oneself over to someone or something. She gave herself up to her children and their care. Fran gave herself up to tennis. Jane refused to give herself up to weight lifting, which is a full-time hobby.

Christ loved the church and died for the church.Weymouth New testament wrote it as

25 Married men, love your wives, as Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself up to death for her;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband

1 Peter 3:7 - Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with [them] according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

honour
Line breaks: hon¦our
Pronunciation: /ˈɒnə /
(US honor)
NOUN

1 [MASS NOUN] High respect; great esteem:
his portrait hangs in the place of honour

The meaning of the key words have been googled and is in blue colour.

My question is CAN you (a woman) submit to your husband like above and CAN you (a man ) love your wife like above?
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by cococandy(f): 1:46pm On Jul 29, 2014
It's gonna be hot. cheesy

OP you forgot to add honor. Apart from selfless love,husbands are also commanded to honor their wives.
As in placing them in exalted positions according to what 'honor' means.

Ehen. So I'm viewing the show from my recliner.
No time for hausa mat like alutacontinua tongue

Let the double standards begin.
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by shizzleStar: 1:59pm On Jul 29, 2014
Op thank your for your sincerity and good conscience in opening this thread. Quite a handful of ladies will be disappointed in you for laying the facts bare. Nonetheless there is never a possibility of 2 becoming greater than 3, so say kudos to you for opening the thread.

Look at the poster above me already shouting double standard, she is one of the pro-feminists activists we have here, people that believe man and woman is equal ...smh. Do not be surprised that even with those verses you quoted to support your strong argument, some will still try to misinterpret and give a different meaning to submission to suit their over bloated egos and self worth.

2 Likes

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by shizzleStar: 2:02pm On Jul 29, 2014
cococandy: It's gonna be hot. cheesy

OP you forgot to add honor. Apart from selfless love,husbands are also commanded to honor their wives
As in placing them in exalted positions according to what 'honor' means.

Ehen. So I'm viewing the show from my recliner.
No time for hausa mat like alutacontinua tongue

Let the double standards begin.
This thread is specifically for submission. Feel free to open a thread for the correspondence to 'women submit to your husbands' and we will tackle it accordingly, don't jump the gun
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by babygirlfl: 2:04pm On Jul 29, 2014
@ cococandy

its added now
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by babygirlfl: 2:09pm On Jul 29, 2014
Please this thread is not for gender bashing. Please let it not come to that.

This thread is for each of us both male and female to look at what the Bible asks us to do and truthfully answer if we can.

To make the thread as clean as possible, let us just answer the question.

We can also add other bible verses
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jul 29, 2014
Let me digress a lil n pop this Question, "when a man continuously tells his wife that she can take walk if she cant endure his heat. Secondly that he doesnt f****kn care about her feelings, has no and wil never have any regard for her" let me pause for now. So my question is, DOES THIS MAN LOVE HIS WIFE?
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by babygirlfl: 2:13pm On Jul 29, 2014
shizzleStar:
This thread is specifically for submission. Feel free to open a thread for the correspondence to 'women submit to your husbands' and we will tackle it accordingly, don't jump the gun

Oga, I tried to balance both sides up by including what the bible asks both husband and wife to do.

This thread is for each of us both male and female to look at what the Bible asks us to do and truthfully answer if we can.

1 Like

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by ireneidiva(f): 2:38pm On Jul 29, 2014
shizzleStar: Op thank your for your sincerity and good conscience in opening this thread. Quite a handful of ladies will be disappointed in you for laying the facts bare. Nonetheless there is never a possibility of 2 becoming greater than 3, so say kudos to you for opening the thread.

Look at the poster above me already shouting double standard, she is one of the pro-feminists activists we have here, people that believe man and woman is equal ...smh. Do not be surprised that even with those verses you quoted to support your strong argument, some will still try to misinterpret and give a different meaning to submission to suit their over bloated egos and self worth.
Give your opinion and stop insulting people for christ sake!!!! Jeez

3 Likes

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by shizzleStar: 2:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
babygirlfl:
Oga, I tried to balance both sides up by including what the bible asks both husband and wife to do.

My comment was in response to cococandy who felt your thread was one-sided when she said:
cococandy:
OP you forgot to add honor. Apart from selfless love,husbands are also commanded to honor their wives
Let the double standards begin

And then you promptly updated and included the other part to create a balance:
babygirlfl: @ cococandy

its added now

So you see! i ain't blind neither am i confused, you should have simply told me you have updated your thread (for fairness), its not that difficult is it, instead of making it seem like I came here to take sides.

Now you just truly exhibit the double standard you were accused of, you updated your thread and alerted only cococandy (your fellow woman) instead of informing me also and the whole house. What do we call this? gender support or women solidarity?

This ojoro you are sharing,

remember...cha ...cha....cha....diarrris...........undecided
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by shizzleStar: 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2014
ireneidiva:
Give your opinion and stop insulting people for christ sake!!!! Jeez
where is the insult in the comment you quoted

2 Likes

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jul 29, 2014
cocospice: Let me digress a lil n pop this Question, "when a man continuously tells his wife that she can take walk if she cant endure his heat. Secondly that he doesnt f****kn care about her feelings, has no and wil never have any regard for her" let me pause for now. So my question is, DOES THIS MAN LOVE HIS WIFE?

Open a seperate thread.

2 Likes

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by babygirlfl: 2:57pm On Jul 29, 2014
shizzleStar:

My comment was in response to cococandy who felt your thread was one-sided when she said:

And then you promptly updated and included the other part to create a balance:

So you see! i ain't blind neither am i confused, you should have simply told me you have updated your thread (for fairness), its not that difficult is it, instead of making it seem like I came here to take sides.

Now you just truly exhibit the double standard you were accused of, you updated your thread and alerted only cococandy (your fellow woman) instead of informing me also and the whole house. What do we call this? gender support or women solidarity?

This ojoro you are sharing,

remember...cha ...cha....cha....diarrris...........undecided

hahahaha you are so funny. The only thing that was added is the honour part. The thread had both duties asked of both men and women from the very beginning. I really do not intend getting in a fight. I just tried making it as balanced as possible.

Meanwhile this thread is about answering the question not attacking each other. I think nairalanders have done enough gender arguments to last a life time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jul 29, 2014
aisha2:

Open a seperate thread.
am in d right thread cox it relates to my Question. No need opening a new thread
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Jul 29, 2014
cocospice:
am in d right thread cox it relates to my Question. No need opening a new thread

Toh, to answer your question, its subjective.
The man could have been upset or it could have been in a burst of anger during a fight, mean things sha to say to your spouse.

One cannot catergorically say if he loves or doesnt love his wife from this one paragraph, she may have been holding his collar, calling him "useless" at that moment too so its hard to just decide if he loves his wife out of context. More information will be helpful as what led to his saying that. If he says those kind of word often or if this just happened this one time, is he having an ongoing quarrel with his wife? Did she cheat or hurt him?

However adults should learn to control themselves and what they say to each other

1 Like

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by shizzleStar: 3:22pm On Jul 29, 2014
babygirlfl:

hahahaha you are so funny. The only thing that was added is the honour part. The thread had both duties asked of both men and women from the very beginning. I really do not intend getting in a fight. I just tried making it as balanced as possible.

Meanwhile this thread is about answering the question not attacking each other. I think nairalanders have done enough gender arguments to last a life time.
Ok, that's good enough. I also do not indulge in gender bashing, i simply handle individual issues as they come cheesy

That said, i strongly believe that any woman who truly values the essence of family life would submit to her husband. Submission should not be in isolation, it is expected that men should also treat their wives with love, and i strongly hold this view. Both should as a matter of fact respect the other, instead of one party acting and behaving as if he/she is doing the other a favour by getting married to him/her irrespective. Any marriage with such mindset is headed for the rocks.

My problem with some women however is that some misinterpret being submissive as being subjected to domestic violence and its a shame. Submission does not equate absorbing domestic torture and physical abuses. I say so cos its not difficult to see supposedly learned women quickly relating submission to domestic violence.

That you should be submissive to you partner does not mean you should endure all sorts of domestic abuses from your husband. I am personally against marital violence, better a woman walks out of marriage than continue to endure constant battery from a supposed husband.

'Some' women however need to get off their high horse, the fact that a lady has attained a certain level of financial/social status doesn't mean she should want to be the head and neck at the same times. That's what a lot of women are finding hard to contend with. We have exemplary woman in Nigeria today despite climbing up the ladder of success and national prominence still respect their husbands cos they value marriage, case study late Dora Akunyili, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Oby Ezekwesili etc to name a few.

In a nutshell, women submit to your husbands no matter how highly placed you are. Submission doesn't mean you will lose your respect. If anything, its a sign of respect, dignity and honour on your part, and you stand nothing to lose if you submit to man you claimed to love and married.

I don preash finish, 'tanku don menshun'!

1 Like

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 29, 2014
[quote author=aisha2]

Toh, to answer your question, its subjective.
The man could have been upset or it could have been in a burst of anger during a fight, mean things sha to say to your spouse.

One cannot catergorically say if he loves or doesnt love his wife from this one paragraph, she may have been holding his collar, calling him "useless" at that moment too so its hard to just decide if he loves his wife out of context. More information will be helpful as what led to his saying that. If he says those kind of word often or if this just happened this one time, is he having an ongoing quarrel with his wife? Did she cheat or hurt him?

However adults should learn to control themselves and what they say to each other[/quote
Objectively u are right, now words spoken out of anger can damage a home.
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by bukatyne(f): 3:35pm On Jul 29, 2014
Despite the balanced view of the OP, you could not resist reverting to your default settings

@ OP:

It takes God's grace and we keep growing daily

A better definition of love is 1st Cor 13: 4 - 8

shizzleStar:
Ok, that's good enough. I also do not indulge in gender bashing, i simply handle individual issues as they come cheesy

That said, i strongly believe that any woman who truly values the essence of family life would submit to her husband. Submission should not be in isolation, it is expected that men should also treat their wives with love, and i strongly hold this view. Both should as a matter of fact respect the other, instead of one party acting and behaving as if he/she is doing the other a favour by getting married to him/her irrespective. Any marriage with such mindset is headed for the rocks.

My problem with some women however is that some misinterpret being submissive as being subjected to domestic violence and its a shame. Submission does not equate absorbing domestic torture and physical abuses. I say so cos its not difficult to see supposedly learned women quickly relating submission to domestic violence.

That you should be submissive to you partner does not mean you should endure all sorts of domestic abuses from your husband. I am personally against marital violence, better a woman walks out of marriage than continue to endure constant battery from a supposed husband.

'Some' women however need to get off their high horse, the fact that a lady has attained a certain level of financial/social status doesn't mean she should want to be the head and neck at the same times. That's what a lot of women are finding hard to contend with. We have exemplary woman in Nigeria today despite climbing up the ladder of success and national prominence still respect their husbands cos they value marriage, case study late Dora Akunyili, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Oby Ezekwesili etc to name a few.

In a nutshell, women submit to your husbands no matter how highly placed you are. Submission doesn't mean you will lose your respect. If anything, its a sign of respect, dignity and honour on your part, and you stand nothing to lose if you submit to man you claimed to love and married.

1 Like

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by babygirlfl: 3:37pm On Jul 29, 2014
shizzleStar:

Oga thank you very much. Please lets just answer the question and no preaching or telling women what to do.

OK Let me ask you Can you love your wife so much that you will die for her. Can you honour your wife?
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by babygirlfl: 3:43pm On Jul 29, 2014
cocospice: Let me digress a lil n pop this Question, "when a man continuously tells his wife that she can take walk if she cant endure his heat. Secondly that he doesnt f****kn care about her feelings, has no and wil never have any regard for her" let me pause for now. So my question is, DOES THIS MAN LOVE HIS WIFE?

Madam please start a new topic and give us chance to discuss this thread. It honestly does not take time to create a new thread.
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jul 29, 2014
babygirlfl:

Madam please start a new topic and give us chance to discuss this thread. It honestly does not take time to create a new thread.
pls u hv ur thread all to yourself, no need geting worked up
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by babygirlfl: 3:55pm On Jul 29, 2014
bukatyne:

@ OP:

I agree with you. it takes the Grace of God. I have seen women who say they are submissive and men who say they love their wives but honestly, even women that think they are submissive are not submissive in everything. Most men too may love their wife not in the way the bible ask them to. Few people I know that answered it truthfully said that it is simply almost impossible while some said it will take the Grace of God. If we could just sit down and think of what is required of us and how it is almost impossible, we might realise that we should not be fast to quote these verses.
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by shizzleStar: 4:08pm On Jul 29, 2014
babygirlfl:

Oga thank you very much. Please lets just answer the question and no preaching or telling women what to do.

OK Let me ask you Can you love your wife so much that you will die for her. Can you honour your wife?

I believe i answered your question, your thread isn't a yes/no question type hope you know that? I didnt tell women what to do, i only admonished women and men to be submissive and love/honour their husbands/wives respectively.

To your question, Yes i will honor my wife, why not? may no be as easy as it sounds, but i'll do my best.

bukatyne: Despite the balanced view of the OP, you could not resist reverting to your default settings
@ OP:
There nothing like default settings here, was my own view not balanced as well?

1 Like

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by cococandy(f): 6:07pm On Jul 29, 2014
babygirlfl: @ cococandy

its added now
No probs.
@shizzlestar ,I didn't think the OP was one sided. I Was just being cheeky in preparation for posts like that your long one-sided initial post.
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by cococandy(f): 6:12pm On Jul 29, 2014
And of course yes I think men and women are equal.if you don't like it? take a hike wink wink

Or are you saying women are superior?
shizzleStar: Op thank your for your sincerity and good conscience in opening this thread. Quite a handful of ladies will be disappointed in you for laying the facts bare. Nonetheless there is never a possibility of 2 becoming greater than 3, so say kudos to you for opening the thread.

1 Like

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by shizzleStar: 6:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
cococandy:
No probs.
@shizzlestar ,I didn't think the OP was one sided. Was just being cheeky
OK! LorretaUKedu? cheesy
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by cococandy(f): 6:15pm On Jul 29, 2014
shizzleStar:
OK! LorretaUKedu? cheesy
I dey ok wink

1 Like

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by shizzleStar: 6:17pm On Jul 29, 2014
cococandy: And of course yes I think men and women are equal.if you don't like it? take a hike wink wink

ok, i'll take a hike and land on your head tongue

Yes, women are superior only in your imagination. happy now? cheesy
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by freecocoa(f): 6:19pm On Jul 29, 2014
What is the OP talking about bikonu? Submit in everything ke? that one go hard o.
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by crackhaus: 6:20pm On Jul 29, 2014
cococandy: And of course yes I think men and women are equal.if you don't like it? take a hike wink wink

Yes women are superior...in the kitchen and in childbirth grin

2 Likes

Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by cococandy(f): 6:24pm On Jul 29, 2014
Na una sabi
@crackhaus and shizzlestar.
I think it's pretty balanced up both ways. tongue
Re: Men/women Can We Really Love/submit Respectivelly As The Bible States? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 29, 2014
Op, balanced thread you've got. Nice one. As a wife, I can only try my best to be submissive. After all, I'm only human. To be submissive in everything? Hmmmm. I won't be so if there iS no respect or regard.I won't be so when its a matter of life and death o. As long as love, respect and fidelity are present, submission is easy for me.I think there should be a balance in everything we do.Humans are naturally selfish and would want to take things to the extreme to suit their selfish desires and would want support still from their partners. So we all need to control the way we reason as long as we've got a conscience.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Badly Abused Maid -A Cry For Help / Before I Go Crazy..someone Should Read My Story / I Need An E-mum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.