Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,155 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic (2248 Views)

Reddit UI Is Extremely Ugly! / Opinion: 5 Reasons Why Nairaland Is Better Than Facebook For Nigerians / Pls Tell Me How And Why Nairaland Is Ranked The No.1 Forum Site In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by ocheejemb: 5:52pm On Jul 29, 2014
I was wondering why Nairaland has such a basic, and (sorry to say) unattractive UI and UX?

The colours are quite drab, and the headings at the top? FT, FB, LK, show very bad design practices even for hardcore-programmers.

As far as community is concerned, Nairaland is great (most times), and very helpful to thousands of Internet users if not more. The other day I saw people from Malaysia and Pakistan asking for advice on certain issues, and they got it.

Why isn't Nairaland trying to improve this?
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by mstik(f): 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2014
ask seun
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by sCross: 6:16pm On Jul 29, 2014
We can only hope they're doing something about it else someone would come and push them off. This world is becoming more unforgiving; you mess up or slow down and you'll regret it

Nairaland is even LOOONG overdue for mobile apps.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by funshint(m): 6:19pm On Jul 29, 2014
sCross: We can only hope they're doing something about it else someone would come and push them off. This world is becoming more unforgiving; you mess up or slow down and you'll regret it

Even when Twitter and Facebook dies; Nairaland go still stand. It'll outlive Seun sef...that'll be one of his legacies on earth!
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by sCross: 6:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
funshint:
Even when Twitter and Facebook dies; Nairaland go still stand. It'll outlive Seun sef...that'll be one of his legacies on earth!

looool. Is there any proof to support your argument ?

Even huge tech coys are aggressively trying to stay relevant because they know it's pretty easy to be phased out.

2 Likes

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by funshint(m): 7:03pm On Jul 29, 2014
sCross:

looool. Is there any proof to support your argument ?

Even huge tech coys are aggressively trying to stay relevant because they know it's pretty easy to be phased out.
Apart from twitter; isn't Facebook *as a social media; not company alrdy dying. Its usage per day has drastically reduced!
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by ocheejemb: 7:17pm On Jul 29, 2014
sCross: We can only hope they're doing something about it else someone would come and push them off. This world is becoming more unforgiving; you mess up or slow down and you'll regret it

I've been hoping for years now.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by sCross: 7:28pm On Jul 29, 2014
funshint:
Apart from twitter; isn't Facebook *as a social media; not company alrdy dying. Its usage per day has drastically reduced!

no sir. According to a reputable news site( can't remember ) i read recently, they have continuously exceeded their profit forecast for many months now.

But before we deviate, my point still remains that huge tech coys are working real hard to ensure they remain relevant in today's world.
I believe nairaland should be doing the same even if it means selling off some % ownership to gain funds to do great stuff.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by sCross: 7:32pm On Jul 29, 2014
ocheejemb:

I've been hoping for years now.

Hmmm, seun if you can read this; know that Nairaland is not invisible. If you don't move fast and accurate, nairaland will inevitably phase out.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by funshint(m): 7:39pm On Jul 29, 2014
sCross:

no sir. According to a reputable news site( can't remember ) i read recently, they have continuously exceeded their profit forecast for many months now.

But before we deviate, my point still remains that huge tech coys are working real hard to ensure they remain relevant in today's world.
I believe nairaland should be doing the same even if it means selling off some % ownership to gain funds to do great stuff.
Why cry more than the bereaved; do you know how much Seun makes per month! Though he can go public but that depends on the financial projection and goal of the owner #Seun. Remember its not about making the biggest deal but getting the best result possible. Being conservative for now might just be Seun's best way of remaining relevant. Many companies hv made big decisions in the past that eventually led to their ruin. I believe when nl gets to that bridge it'll definitely cross it. Even LindaIkeji still can't boast of what Seun has in terms of relevance, coverage and money.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by sCross: 7:54pm On Jul 29, 2014
funshint:
Why cry more than the bereaved; do you know how much Seun makes per month! Though he can go public but that depends on the financial projection and goal of the owner #Seun. Remember its not about making the biggest deal but getting the best result possible. Being conservative for now might just be Seun's best way of remaining relevant. Many companies hv made big decisions in the past that eventually led to their ruin. I believe when nl gets to that bridge it'll definitely cross it. Even LindaIkeji still can't boast of what Seun has in terms of relevance, coverage and money.

I think i understand your view. At the risk of this convo becoming heated, i rest my case
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by ocheejemb: 8:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
funshint:

Sure, Nairaland is vey important and makes a lot of money, and I don't think thats going to stop any time soon. However, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be innovative and improve the Interface and User Experience. In fact the recent hack just goes to show that Nairaland can't really rest on her oars, you have to keep moving. If Mark Z was fine with Facebook's initial success, Facebook won't be were it is today, much more than just a social network. The same can be for Nairaland.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Seun(m): 9:49pm On Jul 29, 2014
What improvements do you what us to make? What aspect of Nairaland's UI is preventing you from enjoying the forum right now? Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
As far as am concerned, Nairaland is functional.... and thats what really matters. I have seen so many websites with Good UI but really crappy in functionality.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by omoelu1(m): 10:26pm On Jul 29, 2014
maybe I really have a bad design sense. I always hear people say Nairaland is ugly, but I never see it as such.
me I gbadun its simplicity

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Fresia01(f): 11:04pm On Jul 29, 2014
Seun: What improvements do you what us to make? What aspect of Nairaland's UI is preventing you from enjoying the forum right now? Thanks.
Jus add an unlike button,, make it possible for ur to see those who liked our comments and dp

2 Likes

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by tIce(m): 11:44pm On Jul 29, 2014
Seun: What improvements do you what us to make? What aspect of Nairaland's UI is preventing you from enjoying the forum right now? Thanks.
why d Fvck can't we change out username out self Cos of NL data loss it changed my username itself wat a big shit nd sh!t.

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by tIce(m): 11:46pm On Jul 29, 2014
Wat's UI guy's don tell me dat's a question for d gODS or else..........

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Nobody: 12:07am On Jul 30, 2014
Fresia01: Jus add an unlike button,, make it possible for ur to see those who liked our comments and dp
seconded.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by WebHostingPal: 1:29am On Jul 30, 2014
ocheejemb: I was wondering why Nairaland has such a basic, and (sorry to say) unattractive UI and UX?

The colours are quite drab, and the headings at the top? FT, FB, LK, show very bad design practices even for hardcore-programmers.

As far as community is concerned, Nairaland is great (most times), and very helpful to thousands of Internet users if not more. The other day I saw people from Malaysia and Pakistan asking for advice on certain issues, and they got it.

Why isn't Nairaland trying to improve this?

Simon says, that Nairaland would loose values should there be an attempt to change the layout and feel of the website. Although it is possible, but a great care had to be taken. If I were the owner of Nairaland, I would not bother to change anything, perhaps he knows this himself.

Come to think of it, most of the greatest website today are as basic looking as you want it. Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia, ebay, paypal etc... PayPal is just making attempt to change bits and bobs in their user area and a great work had been done to achieve what they have achieved today, same as ebay.

The design of a website is part of SEO and Google is quite happy with Nairaland at the moment and personally I wouldn't trade that for anything, I don't know about yous...

Website is never about the design, but the contents of the website, designs are supplementaries, so having a great looking website with all bells and whistles does not make your web site SEO Ready....

In a not shell, I think Nairaland is fine because it is accessible to every user, it's fast loading and SEO friendly and I wouldn't change it for anything if you ask me smiley
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by fattbabakay(m): 8:50am On Jul 30, 2014
It would av been better if the users of this forum have no idea who the real owner is !!!
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by sapientia(m): 9:33am On Jul 30, 2014
In my opinion.. I love the design of NL cos its very simple.. Even someone that started using internet today can use it.. The color is superb to me.. To me.. I dont think i have been to a forum that is as simple as this and yet filled with infos that gets me coming here every now and again.. Someone in the village that is new to the web cant even logout from facebook or even gmail... But in nairaland .. U dont look for anything as they are clearly before you.. As a litmus test.. If you cant navigate through NL.. The internet is clearly not for you.. Yes
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by ocheejemb: 12:33pm On Jul 30, 2014
exxell: As far as am concerned, Nairaland is functional.... and thats what really matters. I have seen so many websites with Good UI but really crappy in functionality.

Theres no doubt about its functionality and speed, but there's nothing to say you can not improve UX without affecting functionality.

WebHostingPal:
Simon says, that Nairaland would loose values should there be an attempt to change the layout and feel of the website. Although it is possible, but a great care had to be taken. If I were the owner of Nairaland, I would not bother to change anything, perhaps he knows this himself.
Come to think of it, most of the greatest website today are as basic looking as you want it. Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia, ebay, paypal etc... PayPal is just making attempt to change bits and bobs in their user area and a great work had been done to achieve what they have achieved today, same as ebay.
The design of a website is part of SEO and Google is quite happy with Nairaland at the moment and personally I wouldn't trade that for anything, I don't know about yous...
Website is never about the design, but the contents of the website, designs are supplementaries, so having a great looking website with all bells and whistles does not make your web site SEO Ready....
In a not shell, I think Nairaland is fine because it is accessible to every user, it's fast loading and SEO friendly and I wouldn't change it for anything if you ask me smiley

Again just changing the UI should not affect the SEO or functionality at all, in fact with Nairaland's size and share SEO is not their problem at all. I come to Nairaland to search for specific information, rather than the other way around. Facebook, Twitter and Wikipedia are far from basic, perharps too cluttered even. I don't think Nairaland would lose value with a more attractive UI, actually I think they'd gain more users.

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by ocheejemb: 12:57pm On Jul 30, 2014

Oga himself.

I already enjoy the forum, I visit it daily. However, I'd like to see more user-friendly features. My pet peeve right now is the FB/LK/ MT/ FG etc menu items at the top of the page which do not convey any information to a naive user.

I appreciate these might be because of space, but its not the best design practice to have non-intuitive name-spaces, even for hard-core terminal programmers. If space is the concern, then this top-menu could easily be arranged vertically on a mobile device, using a responsive CSS design. (I note that Nairaland IS responsive, so this shouldn't be much of an issue).

Another thing that would be nice is to have things like drop down boxes, which can de-clutter a page and yet have no impact on the amount of data required to load it.

And as someone has mentioned, some social functions, it could be easier to see who's following you, who you follow etc.

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by WebHostingPal: 1:54pm On Jul 30, 2014
ocheejemb:

Theres no doubt about its functionality and speed....

Again just changing the UI should not affect the SEO or functionality at all....

Gotcha!
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Seun(m): 2:07pm On Jul 30, 2014
ocheejemb: My pet peeve right now is the FB/LK/ MT/ FG etc menu items at the top of the page which do not convey any information to a naive user.
The abbreviated links are only shown when there is no new content on the pages they point to. You can see what they mean by hovering.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by ocheejemb: 2:26pm On Jul 30, 2014
Seun:
The abbreviated links are only shown when there is no new content on the pages they point to. You can see what they mean by hovering.

Oh, I see. Thanks.
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Dclique(m): 2:51pm On Jul 30, 2014
I think NL needs FB n Twitter share buttons for members to share thier post easily. . . . Just saying

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Donkunxex(m): 11:08pm On Jul 30, 2014
Dclique: I think NL needs FB n Twitter share buttons for members to share thier post easily. . . . Just saying
may be for the creator of the threaf.... jst saying tho
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Dclique(m): 3:44am On Jul 31, 2014
^ Not just for the OP but for anyone who is interested
Re: Just Wondering Why Nairaland's UI Is So Basic by Djtm(m): 3:56am On Jul 31, 2014
Nairaland is so cool on mobile. Simple and easy on the eyes. On pc, NL is drop dead ugly. Nobody wants a complex looking forum difficult to navigate but all the same, one extra color and NL is good to go. Since NL is responsive, the UI for mobile devices can be left the same way. I prefer surfing NL from a mobile device. I just simply do not enjoy surfing sites that look like a ms word document.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Very Active Facebook Page With 29k Likes For Sale!!! / Code On Developing A Web Search Engine Please : Php,ajax & Sql Programmers: / Has Anybody Heard Of Vtn (virtualterminalnetwork) ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.