Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Isoko- Yoruba Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Isoko- Yoruba Marriage (1434 Views)

Hausa/igbo Nd Hausa/yoruba Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by kweenkong(f): 12:03pm On Jul 30, 2014
Any Isoko- Yoruba marriage in the house? How have been able to bridge the cultural gap? Any regrets or confusion? How the in laws on both side?

Lets discuss, no tribe bashing please. Just put your points across respectfully.
Re: Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by thorpido(m): 12:37pm On Jul 30, 2014
Are u one of the tribes going into a marriage with the other?
If I may ask which is your tribe.
Generally in inter-tribal marriages,liberality and acceptability is what matters.How open are the families towards people of other tribes?Education plays a strong role too.Each marriage can be judged only on it's own merit.

The people getting married also matter.You both need to develop a strong support for each other and be willing to integrate into each other's culture.Learn about it and try to be part of it.Also try to learn the language.
Re: Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by OLAKOME: 1:04pm On Jul 30, 2014
am yoruba married to an isoko lady, and i can tell you am enjoying every bit of it
Re: Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by kweenkong(f): 1:06pm On Jul 30, 2014
I am Yoruba married to an Isoko guy but my family is finding it hard to understand some of there culture despite my in laws being very open and accomodating . My family generally are the closeted type always suspicious of any other tribe apart from yoruba but my in laws are totally different .

I am already cooking there traditional meals and i try very hard to greet them in their dialect with a bit of mine ( the kneeling down part). I fight my people every time to let them understand that they are isokos and not isobos as they call them sometimes . And i see the same on this forum and am like what the f**k is wrong with people and there superiority tribe thingy.
Re: Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by kweenkong(f): 1:07pm On Jul 30, 2014
OLAKOME , happy for you . my sis in laws name is kome as well .
Re: Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by thorpido(m): 4:09pm On Jul 30, 2014
kweenkong: I am Yoruba married to an Isoko guy but my family is finding it hard to understand some of there culture despite my in laws being very open and accomodating . My family generally are the closeted type always suspicious of any other tribe apart from yoruba but my in laws are totally different .

I am already cooking there traditional meals and i try very hard to greet them in their dialect with a bit of mine ( the kneeling down part). I fight my people every time to let them understand that they are isokos and not isobos as they call them sometimes . And i see the same on this forum and am like what the f**k is wrong with people and there superiority tribe thingy.
I think it's the Urhobos they call isobos.I don't think your family will change cos they seem deeply rooted in their perception of other tribes.You will have to be very patient and your husband should win them over by showing exemplary character.
Re: Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by baby124: 4:29pm On Jul 30, 2014
grin
I love my Yoruba people but they can be extremely, deliberately ignorant about anything outside their region as long as no one is attacking or fighting them. At least they did not call your inlaws ibo. Please I have friends who even when corrected can't be bothered. They will say they are all ibo jare.

The older generation are much worse of course.

2 Likes

Re: Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by mkoabiola: 10:20pm On Jul 30, 2014
Generally,Yorubas blv dey are all ibos either u b urhobo,isoko,itsekiri ,ijaw ,calabari etc

1 Like

Re: Isoko- Yoruba Marriage by ChristyG(f): 10:35pm On Jul 30, 2014
mkoabiola: Generally,Yorubas blv dey are all ibos either u b urhobo,isoko,itsekiri ,ijaw ,calabari etc
pls dont generalise,some yorubas not all.nobody in my fam does that

(1) (Reply)

Two-year Old Girl Was Kicked To Death By Mother's Boyfriend... / funny street names i grew up with. / Woman Caught Grinding Her Husbands Friend In Hotel Room.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.