Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

‘why I Correct God's Mistakes' - South Korea's Leading Sex-change Surgeon - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / ‘why I Correct God's Mistakes' - South Korea's Leading Sex-change Surgeon (1715 Views)

FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation / Plastic Surgeon Made His Wife Perfect Using His Skills / How Do I Correct Bow Leg In A Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘why I Correct God's Mistakes' - South Korea's Leading Sex-change Surgeon by citypulseng(m): 1:03pm On Jul 30, 2014
When 61 year old Dr Kim Seok-Kwun, a pioneer in slowly changing views on sexuality and gender in South Korea, first started doing sex change surgeries in the 1980s, his pastor objected. Friends and fellow doctors joked that he was going to hell if he didn't stop.

But in a new interview, Dr Kim says he now feels a great sense of achievement for helping people who feel
trapped in the wrong body. And he believes he's correcting what he calls God's mistakes.

Here's what he said to justify his job as a sex change doctor:

'I've decided to defy God's will. At first, I agonized over whether I should do these operations because I wondered if I was defying God. I was overcome with a sense of shame. But my patients desperately wanted these surgeries. Without them, they'd kill themselves. Some people are born without genitals or with cleft lips or with no ears or with their fingers stuck together. Why does God create people like this? Aren't these God's mistakes? And isn't a mismatched sexual identity a mistake, too?'

Dr Kim's best known patient (also pictured above) is South Korea's most famous transsexual entertainer, Harisu who had Dr Kim officiate at her 2007 wedding to a male singer. Harisu, who only uses a single name, said in an interview that the pain she felt after her 1995 male-to-female surgery 'was like a hammer hitting your genitals.' But days later, when she left the hospital, she felt reborn, comparing her transformation to the Disney film ''The Little Mermaid" where a mermaid gives up her fish tail in exchange for human legs and eventual happiness. Harisu says that she may be dead had she not undergone the surgery, because she was always a woman on the inside.

Dr Kim has conducted about 320 sex change operations over the past 28 years, widely believed to be the most by any single doctor in the country.

He's even called the 'father of South Korean transgender people'.

http://www.citypulseng.com/2014/07/why-i-correct-gods-mistakes-south.html

Re: ‘why I Correct God's Mistakes' - South Korea's Leading Sex-change Surgeon by Descartes: 1:07pm On Jul 30, 2014
Wetin man pikin no go see embarassed embarassed
Re: ‘why I Correct God's Mistakes' - South Korea's Leading Sex-change Surgeon by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 30, 2014
The Devil is seriously progressing. cry
Re: ‘why I Correct God's Mistakes' - South Korea's Leading Sex-change Surgeon by IAMBREEZY: 1:14pm On Jul 30, 2014
The End is near.
Re: ‘why I Correct God's Mistakes' - South Korea's Leading Sex-change Surgeon by citypulseng(m): 4:43pm On Jul 30, 2014
The rate at which some of this surgeons and scientists are going, it will be hard to tell if the next person sitting beside you is human or a clone in the near future.

Gosh!!! angry shocked undecided

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Cure My Indigestion / The Truth About Acute Flaccid Paralysis (polio)- Let's Talk / Eye Doctors, Please Help Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.