Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:52 PM

Is Feminism 'Un-African'? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Feminism 'Un-African'? (6433 Views)

I Hate What Feminism Has Become / Is Feminism Really Un-african? / How Successful Has Feminism In Africa And In Nigeria Been? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by zboyd: 11:58am On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1: zboyd.. yesterday you said you were not a feminist that you dont do follow follow...

Why this post now

Because there are usually two sides to every issue - For and Against - Pro and Con.

Why not explore both?
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by pickabeau1: 12:00pm On Jul 31, 2014
zboyd:
Because there are usually two sides to every issue - For and Against - Pro and Con.

Why not explore both?

Which sides are you referring to now... I dont see things in black and white
Its not we vs them
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by zboyd: 12:04pm On Jul 31, 2014
pickabeau1:

Which sides are you referring to now... I dont see things in black and white
Its not we vs them

Why are you asking me a question you already know the answer to?

Aren't you posting on the thread?

smh
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by pickabeau1: 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2014
zboyd:
Why are you asking me a question you already know the answer to?

Aren't you posting on the thread?

smh

I assumed you were a fan of discourse
You can always decline a debate as against attacking my person

I asked you.. if you claim not be a feminist, what is the motive of your original post
if you dont want to answer, simply say so...
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Ohibenemma(m): 12:32pm On Jul 31, 2014
The whole feminism concept, from my perspective, is flawed. Women can be respected, allowed their rights, allowed to strut their stuff in their various fields of endeavours, but this won't change the fact that MALES and FEMALES ain't equal.
I read the response to Adichie yesternight and was like - SO TRUE.
What I see in the so-called feminist drive is actually subservience and beggerliness in disguise. I say this because these feminists don't actually ask for EQUAL grounds to compete, but want SPECIAL QUOTAs reserved for them. These reserved slots are to be theirs whether or not they qualify for it. E.g. 35percent in government, etc. Why not make moves, pool resources together and give the men a run for their money in the actual elections? Why not mobilize their superior numerical strength to their advaintage? Why must they go to the same men they are EQUAL with and start REQUESTING for slots? Why must they demand for male family provision (with the exception of a few), even when their earnings are at par or even greater than that of their male counterparts? Why must they refuse their kitchen duties while reserving the energy sapping duties for the male folk?
Women want to be cared for; it's their natural chemistry: why would feminists so desperately deny this? They want to be feel protected, listened to, assisted and much more(at least for a majority of them), and a thousand Adichie likes won't change that.
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by ijeomaayuba: 4:41pm On Jul 31, 2014
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by skasski: 11:34pm On Jul 31, 2014
Feminism was invented in Africa actually.

2 Likes

Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by elipheleh(m): 12:31am On Aug 01, 2014
fg
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by elipheleh(m): 12:32am On Aug 01, 2014
Nigerian girls you are full of low self esteem and that is the problem of all women worldwide. And feminism doesn't exactly boost those esteems as men become more naturally adviced by the the state laws to be more intro-selfish and still women cry.

The problem of women is not inequality as there is equality everywhere in Igboland but that of low self esteem , zero personal self believe, self defeating assumptions, inactive laziness, and the likes.

I think in women empowering programmes, women should find ways of boosting their self image issues and stop blaming every child and men for their problems.

Eg. Nobody supported men (like Dangote, Gates etc) to build their empires but all I see everywhere are woman empowerment programs. Then the problem still persists
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by Adamsynox(m): 4:00am On Aug 02, 2014
red101: of course not. Is 'human rights' also un-African?
yes any problem with that
Re: Is Feminism 'Un-African'? by red101(f): 11:31pm On Aug 02, 2014
Adamsynox: yes any problem with that
very funny

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Vs Igbo Weddings Which Is The Best?!?!!! / All You Need To Know About Osun-osogbo And The History Of Osogbo. / Igbo Lettering

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.