Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,420 members, 7,815,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work (48439 Views)

10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case / Is There Something Inconsequential That People Do At Work That Irritates You? / Should Social Networks Be Blocked At Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by NaLaugh: 7:02am On Aug 01, 2014
angry

Another No credit or citation giving person abi. All these copy & paste chairmen.

[size=14pt]Article By Laura Bates, The Guardian.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Kalvan: 7:02am On Aug 01, 2014
evegran: NO! I'm criticizing you and you're flirting with me? Smh!

Calm down johr!! I'm right. A woman should concentrate on taking care of her family.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Welrez(m): 7:03am On Aug 01, 2014
Women blaming men for their woes since 1886

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by hensben(m): 7:03am On Aug 01, 2014
Aiit! We will set up a committee to look into the matter.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Cheeun(f): 7:03am On Aug 01, 2014
Chai! Women dey suffer . @10: Op, u did the right thing even tho' u were fired. Not to worry, b. i . t.ch karma go still fvck his loosed c .o ck very soon. He-goat angry

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 7:07am On Aug 01, 2014
Kalvan:

Calm down johr!! I'm right. A woman should concentrate on taking care of her family.
It should be an option. A choice, a decision. Women, we can be anything we wanna be- men should respect that and stop forcing every woman to belong to a kitchen. Simple!

12 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by NaLaugh: 7:09am On Aug 01, 2014
Olekumaster: You were asked this, you were asked that.
OP who are you sef??

A copy and paste master.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by hensben(m): 7:13am On Aug 01, 2014
Sijo01: Will read this when I get to the office.
almost everybody here on nairaland use this word 'I am in the office now', 'when I get to the office', yet people screem umployment is very alarming in nigeria
Does that mean we critisize nigeria government unfairly? or na pulling of stunt tingy on here?

6 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by dhamstar(m): 7:14am On Aug 01, 2014
Women should never give in to any situations like this. Though, it's a man's world they say, but there are women of substance.

3 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Richiy(f): 7:15am On Aug 01, 2014
Why wouldn't people just respect other people and see them as people like themselves

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Sijo01(f): 7:18am On Aug 01, 2014
hensben: almost everybody here on nairaland use this word 'I am in the office now', 'when I get to the office', yet people screem umployment is very alarming in nigeria
Does that mean we critisize nigeria government unfairly? or na pulling of stunt tingy on here?

See me see wahala o. How does my comment amount to almost all NLders?
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Natifa(f): 7:18am On Aug 01, 2014
mstik: *sigh*
women will always be undermined. As they say, it's a man's world.
i refuse to accept that. I believe its a free world n every1 has got equal rights. Atleast the constitution said that.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 01, 2014
Nigerians detest change and progress, On matters of sexism and sexuality most Nigerians would be ecstatic to live in the stone ages, this applies to the Womenfolk too, some women love their status as second class citizens.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Natifa(f): 7:25am On Aug 01, 2014
Miscellaneous: how come the op... just created this & it was on fp automatically?
cos women too deserve an audiance.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by kullozone(m): 7:25am On Aug 01, 2014
evegran: It should be an option. A choice, a decision. Women, we can be anything we wanna be- men should respect that and stop forcing every woman to belong to a kitchen. Simple!

OMG!!
how can u be so beautiful?

4 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Michyeddy(f): 7:26am On Aug 01, 2014
Kalvan: A woman's place is in the kitchen.
cool in this modern day, we stil have guys like this? Smh

3 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Natifa(f): 7:29am On Aug 01, 2014
and ur place is in the backgarden

6 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 01, 2014
kullozone:

OMG!!
how can u be so beautiful?
Aww uh, you're gonna have to ask the man above hehe. Thank you! smiley

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by fydence: 7:31am On Aug 01, 2014
Dygeasy: The female gender still seeking pity.

Isn't gender equalizing working out fine? What do we do now?
hmmm it seems there is always one feminist thread every morning these days..
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Dygeasy(m): 7:32am On Aug 01, 2014
fydence: hmmm it seems there is always one feminist thread every morning these days..
As in eh.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Natifa(f): 7:41am On Aug 01, 2014
theplanmaker: this is a man's world......u can't fight it
we are not planning on fighting it but what abt change it to something that wil accommodate both sexes

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by hensben(m): 7:45am On Aug 01, 2014
Sijo01:

See me see wahala o. How does my comment amount to almost all NLders?
don't be offended, I do read these type of comments almost evertime I login nairaland.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Natifa(f): 7:48am On Aug 01, 2014

what u need to do is accept gender equality cos its here na stay. U can even pretend it's cool even though i knw thats not possible.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by sunsky29(m): 7:50am On Aug 01, 2014
FlyboyZee: Being ignored, mistaken for the tea lady or branded a 'maternity risk' … the following common experiences reported to the Everyday Sexism project are painfully familiar to working women

Each of these situations has been reported again and again to the Everyday Sexism Project. For most men, they will be difficult to imagine. For many women, they are painfully familiar.

1. Being mistaken for the secretary
"Although I've been a senior figure in client meetings, when all other attendees are men it's regularly expected that I'm the one to take notes and distribute drinks." "I am head of the fundraising department in the charity I work for. Every time I go to a meeting with the man in my department, he is greeted first, his hand is shaken first, and the conversation is directed towards him. Once, I was asked if I was there to take notes even after I had been introduced as the manager."

2, Being mistaken for the tea lady
'They asked for coffee, white with two sugars.' "International visitors from company's head office came for a meeting at which I, the only female in management, had to report. I walked in with my report and they asked for coffee, white with two sugars."

3. Being called a "good girl"
"Being told I'm a 'good girl' when offering ideas to senior management. Have to resist the urge to bark. A raised eyebrow and 'I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that' worked with one. The other just repeated it … I did call one of them a good boy once, but not in a meeting. He seemed to get my point but said that they 'didn't mean anything by it'."

4. Being accused of menstruation when voicing a firm opinion
"My colleague had to chase up someone in another department for not meeting a deadline for paperwork to be submitted. When she went to speak with him about it, his response was: 'Is it your time of the month?' This is in a huge listed company. She's a lawyer."

5. Being asked if 'a man is available instead'
"Working in a law office, I've had plenty of people on the phone demand to speak to a man instead of me." "People asking if another vicar is available for wedding/funeral :'Nothing personal but we'd prefer a man.'"

6 Having an idea ignored only to be repeated by a male colleague five minutes later to interest and applause
Women's ideas are often ignored – or claimed by men as "A female friend of mine in an office meeting proposed a logical, simple solution to a recurring issue. Blank stares from the group and a 'We've never done it that way' from the senior (female) manager. A male colleague then makes the exact same suggestion and the room nods enthusiastically and congratulates him on the idea." "I attended a meeting last week where a question was posed. I knew the answer and told everybody: 'The answer is yes, there is going to be a group assigned to do this. 'The chair of the meeting (a man) ignored my comment completely and said to everyone: 'I think the answer is probably yes, the board promised to work on this topic so I guess they will assign a committee.' I shared a look with the only woman in the room, sighed and repeated: 'Actually yes, I KNOW there is a committee assigned to this task.' I wished this was the first time that this happened ... it is not."

7 Being asked about childcare plans
"During my interview for my current position I was asked if I planned on having any more children and what my childcare arrangements are. Each time the question was preceded with: 'I'm probably not supposed to ask this but ...' Too blinking right you're not supposed to ask it! Would you have asked it if I were a male candidate?"

8 Being considered a 'maternity risk'
"I had an interview for an office job for a small company when I was in my early 20s.
The senior partner who owned the company told me they wouldn't hire me because I
would probably get pregnant and go on maternity leave, and that if I repeated what
he'd said he'd deny it."

9 Being accused of 'baby brain'
"I was told on my first day back [from maternity leave]: 'You'll never be the same for
us now you have baby brain.'" "I recently came back from maternity leave to my overseas posting, to meet the new boss for the first time. In our first meeting, he explained that I would no longer be in charge of the unit I had been setting up for a year due to my 'special circumstances'… He also stated that while I was nursing it will be difficult for me to focus on my job, so he was being generous by giving me less responsibility, and downgrading my position."

10 Avoiding wandering hands
"I was 22, just graduated from university and working a three-month trial period at a very small company – just me and the boss (married, with kids my age). One day I was busy with filing, and the boss came up behind me, wrapped his arms around me and stuck his tongue on my ear. I shoved him away and told him not to do that again. Ended up being fired a week later because I wouldn't have an affair with him."
Open dis tread to see pix of wat d babes wears to wrk n hw temptn it is.u xpt me to read dis ur all talks and no pix?op,u tink say we b kids?mods dod needful...u broke rule 22.thou shall not post a thread to decieve people without pix.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 01, 2014
TELL THAT TO UR FUTURE DAUGHTER undecided

2 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 01, 2014
fydence: hmmm it seems there is always one feminist thread every morning these days..
SO ANY THREAD HIGHLIGHTING THE PROBLEMS WOMEN FACE IN OUR SOCIETY IS FEMINIST.
U NIGGAS ARE PATHETIC.SMHundecided

5 Likes

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 01, 2014
The OP probably culled dis from a site anyway some of dis things r still happening esp d maternity leave thing
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 01, 2014
valmunich: Women are naturally born to be subject to men. Buh flyboyzee, you M or F?
U AND UR LIKES BELONG TO THE 17th CENTURY undecided
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 01, 2014

THIS IS NOT ABOUT SEEKING PITY.LET'S FACE IT,IN MOST PART OF THE WORLD,WOMEN ARE STILL SEEN AND TREATED AS 2ND CLASS CITIZENS E.G AFRICA&MIDDLE EAST.
THE THREAD IS JUST STATING FACTS AND NOT SEEKING PITY.ALTHOUGH THINGS ARE CHANGING BUT THE CHANGE IS VERY SLOW BUT SOONER OR LATER WE WILL GET THEREsmiley

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by UjSizzle(f): 8:04am On Aug 01, 2014
I think the woman in question must have some kind of problem to have experienced ALL what is listed. OR the men in whatever country she's stuck in are knuckleheads undecided

No 10 and the Maternity leave points are so true though. Since I don't have a child yet, I have a problem with the sexual advances even from clients. Don't know why there are so many men without moral scruples today.

1 Like

Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Djicemob: 8:05am On Aug 01, 2014
Life is simple,ya'll just chose to make it complicated for ya'll.
Re: 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work by Godmystrength: 8:38am On Aug 01, 2014
UjSizzle: I think the woman in question must have some kind of problem to have experienced ALL what is listed. OR the men in whatever country she's stuck in are knuckleheads undecided

No 10 and the Maternity leave points are so true though. Since I don't have a child yet, I have a problem with the sexual advances even from clients. Don't know why there are so many men without moral scruples today.
I don't think its the same woman in all the cases. Just different scenarios with different women. It looks like an article copied from somewhere. Doesn't look like the OP is the original writer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos: Young Pilot Makes His Mum Cry As He Flies Her From Lagos To Kano / Young Lady Spotted Driving Dangote Trailer (Video) / How Much Does First Bank Pay Her Contract Staff?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.