Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria (1359 Views)

How To Protect Your Blog Content From Being Copied / Kaymu Stealing Content From OLX , Right Or Wrong ? / Google Bans ‘explicit’ Adult Content From Blogger Blogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria by obong(m): 5:05pm On Sep 17, 2005
Seun, perhaps you have a better understanding.

Why isnt there more web content coming out of Nigeria?
Re: Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria by Seun(m): 5:12pm On Sep 17, 2005
Hello obong,

One reason is that the Internet is not ubiquitous enough to be a primary channel for dissemination of information. Companies prepare to plant newspaper stories or ads to get their word out because they know that there will be more response from theirn customers. They don't see the need to bother with duplicating this published content on their sites.

Most of the time, those that want Nigerian content online are those who are abroad. A local Nigerian company has no means of extracting revenue from such visitors, so they won't bother.

What type of content would you like to see online? Nairaland might be able to help fix it!
Re: Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria by obong(m): 5:25pm On Sep 17, 2005
You're right, it's likely those abroad tha would use the online info more. But I'm sure there are others in parts of the country that would benefit from getting online info.

The kind of info I would like to see is the sort offered by this South African company http://www.news24.com. They offer everything. But it doesn't have to be offered by one site. I'd like to see a variety of such sites, that give info on everything from food, health finance etc.

Do you see the Internet spreading much in Nigeria in the near future?
Re: Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria by Seun(m): 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2005
You have not really answered my question about what type of info you'll like to see. This makes me feel that maybe there's no actual demand for more Nigerian info online. If there's actual demand, you'll be able to specify what kind of information you'll like to have.

I see the Internet spreading in Nigeria, to the extent that we'll have large companies that depend on the Internet for their revenue. I am banking on it! wink
Re: Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria by obong(m): 2:06pm On Sep 19, 2005
The info i would like to see is too varied to list, which is why i posted the link to that company that posts info on a variety of subjects. Basically i would like to see everything about nigeria, even things i dont know that i want to see. surprises....

how can i catalogue such a request. Think of advanced countries (like the US) and what they have on the web. baically i'd like to see the same things coming from nigeria
Re: Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria by Seun(m): 3:46pm On Sep 20, 2005
Well, we have some upcoming Nairaland initiatives in this area. Watch out!
Re: Increasing Local Internet Content from Nigeria by DualCore1: 9:14pm On Nov 10, 2009
Seun:

Well, we have some upcoming Nairaland initiatives in this area. Watch out!
Who's thinking what I'm thinking? tongue

Sorry I'm just bored waiting for a download to complete

(1) (Reply)

Free Domain Registration! Cheapest, Most Reliable Nigerian Hosting Now Out! / Where Can I Get Free Php Scripts / How To Install Commentluv Enabled Intense Debate On Blogger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.