Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,833 members, 7,817,444 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur (9053 Views)

I Need An Online Photographer Friend . / / 12 Tips To Speed Up Your Rendering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by erad(m): 7:07pm On Jul 31, 2014

People these days are gradually buying into the idea of being an entrepreneur, they believe they have something(s) to offer and can market these things to earn money. Many entrepreneurs have also discovered the great avenues provided by the presence of the internet, they now see the possibilities of seeking clients on-line and conducting transactions on-line. But some entrepreneurs are yet to figure out how to go about and those who know how to go about are not getting the required results. Maybe they are not going about it the right way.

The following tips are meant to assist on-line entrepreneurs to re-access their strategies and adjust where they might be lacking. It might not be complete but you can do well to add yours.

1. Have a strong on-line presence: The question here is "how do you transact business on-line when you are hardly ever on-line"? An entrepreneur with a desire to woo clients over the internet should be ready to devote a significant number of hours daily to stay on-line. You don't want a case where a potential client will change his/her mind or look for another option due to your delay in responding to them.

2. Communicate with clarity: Dealing with people on-line can be very tricky especially when it comes to understanding each other. Its not like talking to someone physically where you can easily use body language and other physical aids to pass your message across. Anyone hoping to have a sweet experience on-line must work on their communication skills. Make sure when you mean "2", you state it clearly as "2" and not "1+1". The most insignificant distortion in your message might make the intended client read a whole new and different meaning to it. Trying to correct it later might leave a sour taste in everybody's mouth.

3. Have an impressive on-line portfolio: Or any portfolio for a start and you can always develop it over time, something to show your previous works and what you are capable of. Don't get it mistaken, not just graphic designers, web designers, illustrators and other computer based occupations can have an on-line portfolio. Anyone can. Its as easy as opening a free blog with any of the blog site providers like blogger, wordpress, webs and a host of others like them. Upload images of your works in a section named portfolio and eureka! You are good to go. Simply add the link to your portfolio when mailing your potential clients and they can easily go there to see what you have to offer them.

4. Have an on-line history: Something on-line clients won't tell you is that they all play detective when it comes to on-line transactions. They sure do want to know who exactly they are dealing with so its very possible that after the first contact they have with you on-line, they are off to Google to dig out whatever is there to know about you. The world of today needs everyone to be security conscious and not end up regretting what they could have prevented. What you need to do is make sure that they have something to dig up, preferably something neutral or positive. Have at least a Facebook account where they can verify that you are not a ghost. They can see your family and friends and know that you also have a name to protect.

5. Prompt response to clients and potential clients: This has been mentioned in the first tip. Gone are the days of visiting a cyber-cafe every week just to reply outstanding mails. This age of smart phones have made on-line communication easier and more convenient. Now I can integrate my yahoo mail account on my blackberry device and send/receive mails on the go. When you promise all time access to yourself by your clients, you must be ready to live up to that promise.

6. Efficient and quality service delivery: This is the most important part. After all the negotiations and chats and mails and calls and text messages, the end of it is you delivering your goods and providing services to the clients. You really don't to live below a clients expectations, especially a client that is very good at exaggerating things. Whatever quality of goods you deliver or services you provide will either be your step forward or backward in your business career. That's why the first aim of every entrepreneur shouldn't be to make money, it should be about satisfying the needs of his/her clients. Nothing works better than the recommendation of a satisfied client.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-kWwa_IpCRs8/UnQK7yjkcLI/AAAAAAAAAOY/KVndtWdiwKo/s1600/networks+logos.png[/img]
7. Have a reliable service provider: In Nigeria today with the kind of service providers and data plans available, one should really put his/her source of on-line access into consideration. For someone working towards establishing a strong on-line presence, quality of internet service should override the price. Not that entrepreneurs should not seek cheap data plans but not at the expense of its quality. You don't want to be in a situation where you can't access your mail or communicate with your clients because your network is down. Find out the best service provider in your location and work with it (Though Nigerian networks are bound to mess up once in a while but you can try to limit the occurrence).

NOTE: This is my first write-up, I'll appreciate every form of encouragement and constructive criticism. Thank you.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by NaLaugh: 5:42am On Aug 01, 2014
Wait, let me review for plagiarism before i answer you.

edit: passed plagiarism test
(Those nairaland people wey dey ccopy and paste articles without proper credits, i no dey take eye see them)

@Topic.
Valid points, and while they may appear simplistic, should not be taken for granted. The little things are what make or break you.

One thing i would like to add: NEVER respond to a professional email using abbreviated words or incomplete sentences.

Oh, and just in case you missed it the first time:

NEVER respond to a professional email using abbreviated words or incomplete sentences.

ehen! na im be that. cool

6 Likes

Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by CharlieMaria(m): 5:43am On Aug 01, 2014
Ok
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 01, 2014
ebola still on the long thing, anyway sha i dey chop bitter kola, so no yawa

back to topic

Make i read am first
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by James27: 5:45am On Aug 01, 2014
I concur with u OP but ur no:1 stuff with online presence has to deal with an individual or a company. Though most people doing internet business in nigeria don'nt have a strong online presence apart from companies such as jumia were they have someone who handle their social media account and also their online support. You nailed it on no:1.
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by kingbella: 5:46am On Aug 01, 2014
Great, just that everybody now is an online entrepreneur. Who will patronize who?

However, you made many valid points. Esp about online presence, research, delivery. Well done op
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by cy4(m): 5:46am On Aug 01, 2014
Nice one
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by neupert(m): 5:57am On Aug 01, 2014
Nice one

You did not add passion which is very important, because it is what keeps you going even jf the money is not coming yet.

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by Innodon(m): 6:02am On Aug 01, 2014
good
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by emmyw(m): 6:07am On Aug 01, 2014
Yea
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by Vicjay1(m): 6:10am On Aug 01, 2014
kingbella: Great, just that everybody now is an online entrepreneur. Who will patronize who?

However, you made many valid points. Esp about online presence, research, delivery. Well done op
been an online entrepreneur dosen't mean the services you provide is as the same as mine.

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by Richiy(f): 6:20am On Aug 01, 2014
It would be wise for every online entrepreneur to have a little knowledge of Public and Human Relations. Seriously, the way you handle people especially in cases of complaints and dissatisfaction would reflect in how they form opinions about you. Do not do the Naija style and think everybody will manage, abi no be Naija we dey?. Let your services REEK of courteousness and professionalism.
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by 9jahubcom(m): 6:55am On Aug 01, 2014
yea
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by TRADELYN: 7:01am On Aug 01, 2014
I was looking out for great online business opportunities...
grin

Well, it's OK....KiV!

#BringBackOurGirls!
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by tonyx4x44(m): 7:31am On Aug 01, 2014
noted. nice article
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 01, 2014
nice
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by marcjoe(m): 7:46am On Aug 01, 2014
Nice article....actually some of this are working for me... cool

Visit this thread to get cheap 16gb, 32gb, 64gb memory card at a cheaper rate...
https://www.nairaland.com/1570564/get-16gb32gb-memory-card-phonecamera
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by shadowwalker101: 8:42am On Aug 01, 2014
nice tips bro
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by prof800(m): 8:45am On Aug 01, 2014
Thanks for the tips.
smiley
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by Zehner(f): 9:17am On Aug 01, 2014
#noted
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by bank2k4real(m): 9:23am On Aug 01, 2014
You will be the first person to receive the blessings of
today being first of August.
The month of August
A- Authority to wealth
U- Unlimited blessings
G- Glory in all things
U- Unmoved wealth & riches
S- Success in all things
T- Testimony at last
All these shall be your portion and you must have
testimonies before the end of this month by God's grace. Good morning.

Check my signature below for more information
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by Bigdreams(m): 10:07am On Aug 01, 2014
Nice post Op.

Visit the link in the image below to acquire Professional Web Consultancy skills that will enable you earn consistent income as an online entrepreneur.

Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by eievans(m): 11:00am On Aug 01, 2014
I guess here is most and beneficial post I have I ever come across, Tips of being an on-line entrepreneur.

Yes! The web masters knew all this and is a main fact that sometimes slow internet connection do occur and here is the best reasons to have data plan from your network providers like MTN,ETISALAT,GLO and AIRTEL as stated in the post.

Let me add that, I downloaded A Wordpress App from Blackberry world with my Blackberry smart phone and guess what, I can check errors on my previous posts and fix them, I can publish a new post and also tag them, view my Wordpress stats, approve comment, remove broken links and lot's more. Now you too can download this through Blog and Magazines from your Blackberry world if you using Blackberry smart phone.

So enjoy using the Wordpress App I revealed where I found it. Cheers,
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by booblacain(m): 11:13am On Aug 01, 2014
Good one bro.
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by 360command: 11:42am On Aug 01, 2014
If you want to become an online entrepreneur, contact me.
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by tohero(m): 12:00pm On Aug 01, 2014
I found this usefull. Keep it coming, I love to learn more!
Re: Tips To Being An Online Entrepreneur by samdon12(m): 1:31pm On Aug 01, 2014
Lovely post op, keep it up as I look foward to seeing more educative and inspiring posts from you.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Learn Video Editing And Motion Graphics At A Lower Cost / Silverprint (nig) Limited. Call 4 Ur Printing Jobs / (NOSA PEN ART) My Art Gallery.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.