Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,969 members, 7,814,279 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:24 AM

12 Tips To Speed Up Your Rendering - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 12 Tips To Speed Up Your Rendering (2071 Views)

Am Rendering Help To Gospel Artists / 3D Design & Rendering / 12 Tips For Cg Artsits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Tips To Speed Up Your Rendering by Donald3d(m): 9:25pm On Apr 01, 2015

Rendering can be a very daunting,time wasting and frustrating task sometimes.Whether you are rendering 3D scenes ,an After Effects composition or an edited job in Adobe premiere or any other design that requires rendering,READ UP !!!! this article is for you.Enjoy !!!

BUY A FAST COMPUTER !!!!
I know this sounds harsh ,the truth is the first thing to consider when you want to speed up your rendering is your computer .You need a faster processor ,a larger RAM,a better graphics card ,more storage,and so on ,generally you need a better computer built for speed !!! check out my article here on things you need to consider before buying a computer for CG.

OPERATE THE COMPUTER IN A COOL ENVIRONMENT

Whether you believe it or not the temperature of your computer affects your rendering speed WHY u ask ,this is why,your computers tend to work under pressure when it is hot, the processor starts misbehaving ,the RAM does not work optimally and so on(trust me i know this ,i am an Electronics major and i know how transistors and ICs behave when overheated and your computer is built majorly of such components ***that's a story for another day***). So try to place a fan close to your computer or make sure the room is air-conditioned.

CLOSE ALL GRAPHIC INTENSIVE APPS !!!

Yeah close them all !!!, when you want to render in 3dsmax close Photoshop,Adobe premiere and all that.Try not to run graphic intensive apps when rendering (they eat up your RAM !!!! and consume your processor) ,close every single app that does not have anything to do with your rendering and the ones you don't need,and yes one more thing, (SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY VOICE) just leave your computer alone and let the rendering complete.*Smile*.

MULTI-CORE AND MULTIPROCESSING

Not many people know much about this ,usually when your computer has multiple cores and extra processing power ,it can speed up your rendering all you have to do is activate the multi-core and multiprocessing option in the software you are rendering with.Just check out the manual of your software to make sure your software has such facility.

REMOVE UNNECESSARY EFFECTS AND POLYGONS

Yeah you heard it whether its a 3d scene or its an effects composition,learn to OPTIMIZE ,various software have various ways of optimizing ,for example 3d software have a way of reducing the polygon count and in compositing software you can use other effect that are substitutes for the ones that takes a long time to render.

RUN YOUR COMPUTER ON AC POWER

For so many reasons this works, ranging from "software reason" to "hardware reasons" as i said earlier i wont like to deviate into electronics but kindly make sure your computer is plugged in to AC power the next time you are rendering to speed up your rendering.

AVOID USING LARGE RESOLUTION IMAGES WHERE NOT
NEEDED

I know how we can be sometimes as artists we always want to use large images and videos as much as possible(1280 pix and above) .But the truth is that there are a times that those large images are not necessary .Take this scenario for example you are working on an environment for a video game or animation try as much as possible to use smaller resolutions not large resolutions to texture objects that will not get too close to the camera(objects that require little level of detail LOD).Hope that helps !!!.So what i am saying is, reduce your image resolutions as much as possible in a way that it wont affect your final output in terms of quality.

USE PLACEHOLDERS AND PROXIES

Most CG software nowadays have this feature ,when you want to create several instances of a particular object, try as much as possible to make use of place holders and proxies instead of using the actual object ,trust me it reduces render time drastically especially in 3d software, it reduces the polygon count of the scene leading to better performance and quicker renders.

OVERLAPPING OBJECTS

This is most common in 3d software ,when you have so many objects or polygons that intersect,are interwoven or pass through each other ,it seriously increases render time .So try has much as possible to prevent this.

GLOSSINESS

This is also another common cause of increased render time ,try as much as possible to reduce glossy materials in your scene where necessary.

NUMBER OF LIGHTS

The number of lights in your scene affects your rendering time ,so remove
some lights where you can from your scene.

SHADOWS!!!

Shadows also increase your render time .I know shadows are needed for realism ,but there are some objects in your scene that actually do not need to cast shadows ,so analyze your scene and disable shadows from objects that do not need to cast or receive shadows .

Hope you liked the article tell me if you think i should have added something else .Keep the comments coming in....Don't forget to share

Source: http://cgpadis.com/blogs/post/16

Dont forget to register on CGPadis for more great articles and network and share CG contents

Facebook: www.facebook.com/cgpadis
Twitter : www.twitter.com/cgpadis

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 12 Tips To Speed Up Your Rendering by Donald3d(m): 10:44pm On Apr 01, 2015
Donald3d:

Rendering can be a very daunting,time wasting and frustrating task sometimes.Whether you are rendering 3D scenes ,an After Effects composition or an edited job in Adobe premiere or any other design that requires rendering,READ UP !!!! this article is for you.Enjoy !!!

BUY A FAST COMPUTER !!!!
I know this sounds harsh ,the truth is the first thing to consider when you want to speed up your rendering is your computer .You need a faster processor ,a larger RAM,a better graphics card ,more storage,and so on ,generally you need a better computer built for speed !!! check out my article here on things you need to consider before buying a computer for CG.

OPERATE THE COMPUTER IN A COOL ENVIRONMENT

Whether you believe it or not the temperature of your computer affects your rendering speed WHY u ask ,this is why,your computers tend to work under pressure when it is hot, the processor starts misbehaving ,the RAM does not work optimally and so on(trust me i know this ,i am an Electronics major and i know how transistors and ICs behave when overheated and your computer is built majorly of such components ***that's a story for another day***). So try to place a fan close to your computer or make sure the room is air-conditioned.

CLOSE ALL GRAPHIC INTENSIVE APPS !!!

Yeah close them all !!!, when you want to render in 3dsmax close Photoshop,Adobe premiere and all that.Try not to run graphic intensive apps when rendering (they eat up your RAM !!!! and consume your processor) ,close every single app that does not have anything to do with your rendering and the ones you don't need,and yes one more thing, (SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF MY VOICE) just leave your computer alone and let the rendering complete.*Smile*.

MULTI-CORE AND MULTIPROCESSING

Not many people know much about this ,usually when your computer has multiple cores and extra processing power ,it can speed up your rendering all you have to do is activate the multi-core and multiprocessing option in the software you are rendering with.Just check out the manual of your software to make sure your software has such facility.

REMOVE UNNECESSARY EFFECTS AND POLYGONS

Yeah you heard it whether its a 3d scene or its an effects composition,learn to OPTIMIZE ,various software have various ways of optimizing ,for example 3d software have a way of reducing the polygon count and in compositing software you can use other effect that are substitutes for the ones that takes a long time to render.

RUN YOUR COMPUTER ON AC POWER

For so many reasons this works, ranging from "software reason" to "hardware reasons" as i said earlier i wont like to deviate into electronics but kindly make sure your computer is plugged in to AC power the next time you are rendering to speed up your rendering.

AVOID USING LARGE RESOLUTION IMAGES WHERE NOT
NEEDED

I know how we can be sometimes as artists we always want to use large images and videos as much as possible(1280 pix and above) .But the truth is that there are a times that those large images are not necessary .Take this scenario for example you are working on an environment for a video game or animation try as much as possible to use smaller resolutions not large resolutions to texture objects that will not get too close to the camera(objects that require little level of detail LOD).Hope that helps !!!.So what i am saying is, reduce your image resolutions as much as possible in a way that it wont affect your final output in terms of quality.

USE PLACEHOLDERS AND PROXIES

Most CG software nowadays have this feature ,when you want to create several instances of a particular object, try as much as possible to make use of place holders and proxies instead of using the actual object ,trust me it reduces render time drastically especially in 3d software, it reduces the polygon count of the scene leading to better performance and quicker renders.

OVERLAPPING OBJECTS

This is most common in 3d software ,when you have so many objects or polygons that intersect,are interwoven or pass through each other ,it seriously increases render time .So try has much as possible to prevent this.

GLOSSINESS

This is also another common cause of increased render time ,try as much as possible to reduce glossy materials in your scene where necessary.

NUMBER OF LIGHTS

The number of lights in your scene affects your rendering time ,so remove
some lights where you can from your scene.

SHADOWS!!!

Shadows also increase your render time .I know shadows are needed for realism ,but there are some objects in your scene that actually do not need to cast shadows ,so analyze your scene and disable shadows from objects that do not need to cast or receive shadows .

Hope you liked the article tell me if you think i should have added something else .Keep the comments coming in....Don't forget to share

Source: http://cgpadis.com/blogs/post/16

Dont forget to register on CGPadis for more great articles and network and share CG contents

Facebook: www.facebook.com/cgpadis
Twitter : www.twitter.com/cgpadis
l. Any questions ?
Re: 12 Tips To Speed Up Your Rendering by webcraftz(m): 6:56am On Apr 02, 2015
Wow, nice info! I always knew that frustrating slowness was somehow related to RAM size and computer model. Rendering seem to work faster with a 4GB Ram system.

Other points noted, thumbs up.

I do logo intros, check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQQ6bU_NeLw
Re: 12 Tips To Speed Up Your Rendering by Donald3d(m): 7:47am On Apr 02, 2015
webcraftz:
Wow, nice info! I always knew that frustrating slowness was somehow related to RAM size and computer model. Rendering seem to work faster with a 4GB Ram system.

Other points noted, thumbs up.

I do logo intros, check this out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQQ6bU_NeLw
thanks Bro ,nice work !!!..since u are a CG artist check out .www.cgpadis.com

(1) (Reply)

Video Editing,motion Graphics & Animation Training / Another Logo Design: What Do You Think? / Cee Visionz Films Officially Open In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.