Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Nigerian Education-my Concern - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Education-my Concern (1142 Views)

JAMB Releases 200,000 Results As Minister Expresses Concern / Nigerian Education Sector Needs Attention (fynestboi) / Would You Drop Your Nigerian Education To Study Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Education-my Concern by Hotstepper(f): 4:28pm On Jul 20, 2006
Nigerian education is scaring me now seriously. I am just talking to my friend who told me she is now in her 3rd year in the University. What shcoked me was the fact that she started uni. Nov. of 2005 and it is not even up to a year she started, she is already in 3rd year. My friend here told me that is why they don't get a job. Compare to someone like myself who started in 2003 and just finished 3rd year, mennnn, let us all pray for Nigeria
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by shawna(f): 4:34pm On Jul 20, 2006
How come shez already in her 3rd year in such a short time? wow thats weird but then again u shouldnt be suprised because the education system in nigeria is different from that of canada
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by hotangel2(f): 4:38pm On Jul 20, 2006
hanhan, 3rd yr From Nov 2005 to July 2006. Na yam??!!

Anyways sha, the education system in Nigeria is soo different. And m sure you know that. Apart from the fast "primary (elementary), and secondary (high school) System". I don't like Naija's method of education.

And hotstepper, canada is behind oo. 2003 and u r still in 3rd year.

The education system everywhere is different i guess.
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by Hotstepper(f): 4:52pm On Jul 20, 2006
@Hotangel, the educational system here and America are the same, we have 2 academic sections apart 4rom summer skool which is optional, SEPT.-DEC AND JAN. -APRIL, I entered 2003 sept. so by june next year I will graduate, If u calculate, u see we are not behind, I did not take any summer skool since I started uni. as well.

It is the same in naija, da problem is that da system doesn't work dere and every skool gat their own system which is wack, My cuzzin for example dat entered at da middle of a skool year told me yesterday dat he is alrady in his second year and diz is sum1 who entered diz year, They have 2 academic sections as well so dunno wats wrong
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by hotangel2(f): 4:58pm On Jul 20, 2006
Ohh Hotstepper, yeah i see. I take so many classes. Instead of doing the normal 10 credit hours some people do, i take like 14 or 16. So instead of doing 2 year in college like most people, i do it one and half. After fall this yr, im transferring to a University. getting my associate in 2 year college.

Anyways thats by the way.

U see in Nigeria, no matter how they rush to get out of school, there's no JOB. So it all amounts to nada.
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by Hotstepper(f): 5:00pm On Jul 20, 2006
I know ehhhh gurl, so you are in community college now?
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by hotangel2(f): 5:02pm On Jul 20, 2006
Yup, im in community college. transferring to midwestern University by Spring. Jan '07!  wink

Btw, talking abt education in Nigeria, like i said before, if it' aint secondary, and primary school. naija education is just not right. I dont understand it. First some people say they are jambites, then they say it's remedial.

they they choose to be doctors, but end up 'getting' Admission to study 'education'. I mean why would they choose wat u should study for you??

SOme people wanna study Business admin, but end up 'getting' admission to study Political science.

Which kind of thing is thaT? If i wanan be a doctor gimme wat the hell i want. I pay my tuition damn it!
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by Hotstepper(f): 5:04pm On Jul 20, 2006
datz great, keep doing your thing gurl tongue
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by hotangel2(f): 5:05pm On Jul 20, 2006
I modified my post. check it.
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by Hotstepper(f): 5:14pm On Jul 20, 2006
Gurl, I know ehhhh, My b/f wanted to read accounting and they gave him estate management but cuz he doesn't wanan stay home and who knowz whether he will eva get into accounting, he accepted da offer and itz a 5 year course so he will finish next year.

As you said, primary and sec. r just it dere and others 2 just " let it be I went 2 skool" tongue
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by dollypee1(f): 6:02pm On Jul 20, 2006
yeah it happens  that way if shes in a private university in nigeria ,another session starts after 7months,schls like babcock, bowen ,covenavt,igbinedion ,and ajayi crowther universities  all have calendars like that,but one thing is they wait till kingdom come before they get their  call up letter 4 service,and 2 get a good job with that kind of degree ,needs serious prayer,im also in d same level with my younger sis and with d way things are going she might even graduate before me,good federal universities are in nigeria but its like pple prefer d private ones in order 2 get a quality educatn and talkn about quality educatn in nigeria im not so sure one can use d degree 2 get a good job outside d shores of naija, cos thers dis friend of mine at my place of work that finished 4rm oau,studied optometry 4 7yrs,came 2 usa and now workn at mcdonalds,seems so crazy,i dont no y she came here in d first place cos shes white and she cld have gotten a good job in a nice hospital or smth,infact i dont no,i just dont no, evrybody  wants 2 come d usa. undecided
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by Hotstepper(f): 6:11pm On Jul 20, 2006
hmmm private universities are worst in Niaja, itz an escape for 98 percent of people who didn't get into uni. and gat more to spend dere
Re: Nigerian Education-my Concern by Hotstepper(f): 6:56pm On Jul 20, 2006
@Hotangel, wat is a ASSOCIATE DEGREE?

(1) (Reply)

Studying In Sweden / Plz Any Body Know A Universit That Offer Elect Elect Eng / Irrelevant Courses In Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.