Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,571 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria (3199 Views)

Chief Justice Of Nigeria Bans Plea Bargain For Corrupt Public Servants / Our Revolution Is Death Sentence To Corrupt Public Officers Simple / Ekiti Governor Vows To Remove Corrupt Public Officials (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by omoniger(m): 4:35pm On Jul 20, 2006
The Nigerian Police force is better known for bribe taking than protecting lives and property-their civic duties.

NEPA,oh sorry- PHCN-power Holding Company Of NIgeria is better known for darkness than for light.Charged with the responsibility of generating and distributing power in nigeria ,this corporation has become the most effective force cripling of Indusrialization in Nigeria.
Reports have it that over $6billion has been spent on PHCN alone in the past 7 years without any improvement in power supply.

Or do we talk of NITEL,Nigerian Ports authority or wait a minute -The presidency.

The fact is until public officials are made to be accountable for their actions in Government,Corruption will remain unabated in our dear country.
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by Chxta(m): 4:44pm On Jul 20, 2006
[b]P[/b]roblem [b]H[/b]as [b]C[/b]hanged [b]N[/b]ame in my humble opinion. . .
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by buchio7(m): 4:53pm On Jul 20, 2006
dats because u hav never gone to a police station . d police r d most insensitive,down right mean public service arm.in my village dere was a thief always stealing turkey from a poultry owner until d man set a trap 4 him after so many unanswered reports at d police station. d nite of judgement came only for d poultry owner to discover d thief to be d same constable he reported d crime 2 days earlier, den ask me wat happened when he was taken to d station? dey turned round and arrested d complainant 4 harrassing an officer of d law who was conducting his legal duties
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by Chxta(m): 6:27pm On Jul 20, 2006
. . .actually, I have slept in Police cells in Benin, Onitsha and Warri. Now don't think that I am a career criminal, all those incidents were purely as a result of youthful exuberance.

From an academic point of view though, I think PHCN are the ones who are drawing us back as a nation big time. . .
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by kimba(m): 11:13pm On Jul 20, 2006
@Chkta
Chxta
Insert Quote
Problem Has Changed Name in my humble opinion. .

O boy, na u talk am. Nigerias problem just changed its name.

Heres what I stand:
I dont think the problem of Nigeria is any president, vice, or any government official. Its not any institution or body. Nigerias #1 problem is its people. If Nigeria can solve this problem of its people even if by 30 percent, we will see changes in no time. The problem with Nigerias people is the idea of default-corruptness, the potential is always there in every person. See, no matter how close you are to a person, especially within Nigerias walls, you just still have "to be careful", maintain some distance, dont give it all up on the "I trust you stuff". We are the people who put the government in power, and if we can agree among ourselves, to want to see a positive change, we will see it. Its just that to see two-Nigerians totally and 100% united without any reservations for each other (forget tribe, religion or whatever) is very difficult.

Heres my postulate: The Number of Yorubas, Igbos, Hausas, and all the other tribes in the nation are more than the number of Nigerians.

We would rather choose to be tribal than national. Its more of most people dont believe in the country, so everyone is looking for his own agenda. In fact, everyone has his/her own agenda planned out.

The question is: when can, when will Nigerians begin to look for and work towards the common good and common benefit of everyone, with the future generations in perspective?
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by DaHitler(m): 5:58am On Jul 21, 2006
I would have to say it is the custom agency in Nigeria. Every time I travel from Lagos to Benin republic, those guys are more worried about cornering trailer drivers so they can collect bribes, than checking to make sure those that are entering the country have proper documentation.
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by Giorgio: 9:52am On Jul 21, 2006
i've not been back in nigeria for twelve years now, but back then it was the military
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by DeepSoul(f): 5:57pm On Jul 21, 2006
The Police Force (Methinks they shd do a name change sha. Police Farce sounds much beta!). They are the most corrupt set of individuals in the history of corruption. But I guess I can safely say they are victims of corruption, It was injected forcefully into their systems.

The Police Farce can only come second if The Presidency can be seen as an institution.
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by Odeku(m): 1:31am On Jul 22, 2006
Many people come to this chat room to criticize the police as the most corrupt element of the society,the whole country is fill and infested with corrupt minded people. co to a mechanic shop. he will over charge you. I went to a Barber shop. and they over charged me for services that usually cost #450. I hire a cab and was deal the same treatment. the only one that we see on daily basis is the police. there are other hidden agencies that are worse that the police that if you don't have dealings or interactions with you will never know. Parents need to start teaching their kids values and moral and Nigeria will survive until then, the problem will keep looping.
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by Chxta(m): 3:47pm On Jul 22, 2006
Think about this: at entry level, a policeman earns N8500 a month. From this amount, he is expected to buy his torch, maintain his boots, feed his family, and survive. Then he is given a gun. . .
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by Abeem(m): 5:37am On Jul 23, 2006
Corruption has become Nigerians second nature, and both the Public and Private sectors are equally guilty.  Example:
1. The Police mounts illegal road blocks to collect #20 from Drivers because their salary is meagre and is not regularly paid or sometimes because their boss, the IG had decided to pocket their pay.
2. The lecturer at the University demands sex from female students or insists the students must buy his study pack/book or they will receive a failing grade in his course.
3. The NEPA or PHCN officials removes or intentionally damages electricity transformer in a resident area thus throwing the area into darkness.  To restore power to the area, the NEPA or PHCN insists residents must contribute money to buy a new transformer.
4. The Banker gives preferential treatment to the customers whom they are acustomed and who they knew would throw some bucks their way after cashing their cheques.
5. The Custom officer instead of apprehending smugglers allows them to go scot-free at the custom post.  For giving the smugglers unfettered access to carry out their activities, the custom officers receives gratification from the smugglers in cash and in kind, thereby robbing the country of revenues from custom and  excise duties.
6. The primary school teacher deliberately asks his/her pupils to bring excess brooms, toileteries etc. to the school for their use so the excess can be sold at the city's market.
7. The Civil Servant who are paid to work from 8 a.m.to 3.30 p.m. will not resume until 10 a.m. and will leave before 3.30 p.m.
8. The inflation of the contract price so that the contractor could pay 10% of cost to the official awarding the contract.
9. The market woman who knowing full well that a patron is not gifted in the act of price bargaining inflated the price of her goods thereby cheating the unsuspecting buyers of her hard earned money.
10. The market seller of rice or beans or garri who uses measuring devices that has been beaten in and out to sell to the down trodden who cannot afford to buy in bags.  He/she succeeds in surreptitously cheating the buyers and denying them the full value for their money.
11. The elected representatives of the people who are supposed to watch their (electorates) back but instead chose to watch their own pockets by collecting bribes from the Presidency or the Governor thereby short-changing the voters who elected them.
12.  The postal worker who acts in concert with fraudsters to steal packages originating from abroad in the hope of finding some hidden treasures in there.  
You can go on and on and basically you will find no sector of the Nigerian economy that is immune from the corruption epidemic.
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by raldsfield(m): 10:09pm On Jul 24, 2006
Abeen U have said it all

The bus driver increase transport fare when people are stranded at the bus stop.

this country done finish oh.

Nothing works.
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by FemiD(m): 4:14am On Jul 27, 2006
@Abeem, good talk!
The police is the worst.
I believe there is no justification that can be good enough for their corruption. I mean they even have jobs, even if the income is meagre. What happens to the several jobless people who are still thinking straight. The police needs a total re-orientation. Rather than emphasize quantity, it's better we start looking in the direction of quality. If the Police can have people with strong hearts who can do what Dora Akunyili did to NAFDAC, what Prof. Charles Soludo did to banking etc., then we will have a police that can be trusted. These days it's safer in the hands of criminals than in the hands of police, they are the same, anyway.
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by favourite(f): 11:10am On Jul 27, 2006
The Never Expect Power Always or better called Problem Has Changed Name are the most currupt in Nigeria. The go about disconnecting and connecting whether you paid your bills or not. They purposely ause damage so that money will be contibuted and given to them for repairs. Which they will always return to damage again anytime they are broke. Well let them continue changing name till the change it to Powerless Power.

Shoud we start talking o the Nigerian Poice Force with millions of checking points everywhere still nothing to check only for you to sho them your pariculars if you know what i mean. They take bribe at the highest level including their ogas. Well i dont blame them since they are not well paid they have no other option than to get it anyhow

7. The Civil Servant who are paid to work from 8 a.m.to 3.30 p.m. will not resume until 10 a.m. and will leave before 3.30 p.m.
I know some people who report to work and their boss will be uncomfortable with them as if they are their to see how they are sharing the allocations given to them (Local Government Workers)

And still dont forget our leaders, they are the ones beating the drums
Re: The Most Corrupt Public Institution In Nigeria by Christino(m): 5:18pm On Jul 27, 2006
Abeem has said it all.

Meanwhile, Mebelieves the most corrupt inst. in Nig. is the nigerian himself followed by PHCN.

I wish i could increase this font in our memory. No inst. (of more than 2 people) is as corrupt as these guys. A primary school drop out, most junior staff drives a Scratch (no be yahoo boy o).
A corrupt policeman won't get to that level for 3 or 4 years of 20-20 naira extortion.

Infact it is disgraceful that the PHCN (without uniform) are more corrupt than the "anything in uniform is naturally corrupt" people. It's a shame (no, chame)

i mean the police, FRSC, customs, Army are corrupt people. (The airforce and navy are more realistic, maybe corrupt but not directly to the masses)

(1) (Reply)

Biafra War In Chronological Order / Aliens Working With Us Government? / What Will Be The Fate Of The Minister Of Agriculture In GMB Government

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.